Act 3: A Matter of Faith

bwatford

spacer.png

"How hard do you think it would be to adapt one of these brakes, to allow us to go upstream? I figure if we can start with a full stop brake, rather than the current slow progress. Then, if we pair the brakes? Like climbing handles? I don't have any of the unmoving rods, which would presumably work brilliantly." Zerik questioned.

The effort turned out to be in vain though, such a maneuver would take ages to get a craft back upriver and it was much easier to just carriage it back, having to release a brake, engage another, then repeat just to go a few feet while the current pushed you at any chance was just not a feasible system unless you just wanted to waste an entire couple of days to get back upriver.

So, the group was in agreement to spend the day on a stakeout, it was likely such an operation would take many days, but it was worth seeing what this day would turn up if anything.

They had spent the next eight hours watching the river near the Blessed Bridge but had not turned up the first thing that had been suspicious other than a gambler that had wanted to bother them when crossing at one point in the afternoon.

It was now after six in the evening and businesses would begin closing soon, the question now was did they want to pull an all nighter or call it a day.

Going on a Stakeout

(Scene Notes)

Time: 6:12 pm
Summer - Waterday (Wednesday), the 11th day of Growth (July) 721 IA

Sending to Lady Fransin of House Nagel

Good day, Lady Fransin. I seek sponsorship for myself and my entourage of six others. Your generosity will be remembered. Ela Valhardt, at Tent City.

This is a continuation of a game that was originally started on ogmw located below:
Ptolus: City By the Spire - Myth-Weavers

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Zerik 15 | Alexandra 13 | Ela 11 | Joyce 11 | Slither 11

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

ALEXANDRA OF WINKELSTAD

Hit Points: 9/9
Hit Dice: 1/1
1st Level Spell Slots: 2/2 *L (DC 13/+5)
Attuned Magic Items: 0/3
DM Inspiration: 1/1
Experience Points: 40 / 300

ELA VALHARDT

Hit Points: 14/14
Hit Dice: 2/2
Bardic Inspiration: 3/3 *L
1st Level Spell Slots: 3/3 *L (DC 13/+5)
Experience Points: 302 / 900

JOYCE LA DÉVOUÉE

Hit Points: 10/10
Hexblade's Curse: 1/1 *S/L
1st Level Spell Slots: 1/1 *S/L (DC 13/+5)
Experience Points: 302 / 300 --- Needs to level up!!

SLITHER

Hit Points: 9/9 (Adv versus disease / Disadv against sleep effects)
1st Level Spell Slots: 2/2 *L (DC 13/+5)

ZERIK

Hit Points: 19/19 *Drawven Resilience

Alexandra of Winkelstad - Human Cleric of Life (MW Character Sheet)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 9/9 | HD: 1/1d8 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 13  | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Alexandra still could not forgive herself for her stupid suggestion earlier to investigate the sewers instead of trying to rescue the kidnapped girls. Was it that feeling of guilt, or perhaps the best thought-out plan she could come up with, or probably a mix of both? She decided that staying was their best option.

"I agree with what you said earlier, Ela." she said with a nod in the bard's direction. "It is now about six in the evening; I do not believe the girls were kidnapped before that time. I think we should stay, as you said... This is indeed the place to be, and especially at night." she offered.

'And if we don't learn anything tonight, we can always rest tomorrow during the day and return here at night.' she thought.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Mace
Off Hand: Shield

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate:

Zerik Aurum Adakite - Stonelost Haurdir Rogue 2 - Character Sheet 

AC : 14 | HP : 19 / 19 | Initiative : +3 | Passive Perception : 15 | Darkvision 60 | Death Saves: 0/0

Features : 

Cunning Action 

Cunning Aim 

Sneak Attack +1d6

Dwarven Resilience (Advantage vs Poison Saves / Resistance vs Poison Damage)

Dwarven Toughness (+1 HP / Level)

Expertise : Perception / Thieve's Tools

Stonecunning : Expertise (History) Stonework 

Languages : Common, Dwarven, Thieve's Cant  | Conditions: Normal 

Zerik spent the day learning about the city. What one could learn from overheard passing conversations, and occasional questions of friendly passersby. Scuttlebutt being what it is, the information tends to be a bit random. However, if one listens closely, a mosaic begins to form. The river proved to offer heavy traffic in and around it, and a wealth of information flowed through the district. 

Unfortunately, they didn't catch sight of their targets that day. 

Well, it looks like it's gonna be a long night. Cold Rations, and the aroma of the 'river' to keep us company. 

"The things we do, eh? I can't find fault with your logic Alexandra. I must say that I wouldn't have minded if we had found our targets during the light of day. Funny how nefarious dealings tend to take place after dark. Almost as if they got together, started a band, and said 'rule 1: we act at night, if for no other reason, that to SMEG the man'." 

Zerik lent his aid with preparations for a long night out here. 

"If the wonderful aromas didn't chase us off, we shan't let a little dark win us over." 

Zerik calmly and subtly checked his own equipment once more. He carried the pickaxe proudly. 

"This? Well, you see, found it in a deep dark hole, forgotten for decades, surrounded by rotten and rusted tools. Somehow, this one pick stood the test of time and decay, unscathed. Now, it seems even to resist the filth of this river. I wish my boots were so resilient."

Looking at his boots, a small shudder at the thought of what foukness infused that mud, and the effort it would take to scrape them clean of the filth. 

Mechanics : 

Expertise Thieves Tools (+ 7)

Expert Perception +5  

Stealth +5 

Acrobatics +5

Investigation +3

Survival +3

Persuasion +3

*Stonecunning

Darkvision 60 ft (Haurdir) 

Main Hand: Pickaxe (Rapier)

Off Hand:  Empty (Dagger option) 

Action:  ...

Bonus Action:  ...

Move:  ...

Manipulate:  ...

Carried Equipment : 

add list of gear 

OOC : 

Out Of Character Notes

Edited by Sweegy One (see edit history)

Posting Template

Slither - Harrow Elf Artificer

AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/2 | Imbued Items: 0/3spacer.png

Slither wasn't a big fan of this whole stakeout. He had been a pretty active kid during his childhood in the Sea Kingdoms, always scrounging for new parts or tinkering around with contraptions in his little workshop. Sitting around a bridge and doing seemingly nothing for eight hours wasn't something the young Harrow was very familiar with, and it wasn't long before Slither started doing all manner of things to kill the time. He played around with his clockwork mouse. He started throwing stones at the trash streaming through the canal, the birds perched on the bridge, the rats scurrying in and out of the tunnels leading to the sewers. He also showed his more chatty side, striking up conversations with his companions. He got into a discussion with Alexandria about the Lothian's Church view of Harrow Elves. He asked Zerik about the forges of the Dwarven hold where the scout grew up. He prodded Ela again about her childhood home. He gave Joyce some crumbs of insight about his magical abilities. 

When the afternoon had finally passed and Alexandria mentioned that they'd probably been staking out the bridge at the wrong time of day, Slither wasn't very amused. "Then why did sit around here for eight hours? Could've taken a look at that warehouse mentioned in the note instead." He grumbled. Not that Slither cared much if they would spend the night continuing their stakeout, it just began to feel like a waste of time to the somewhat antsy Harrow elf.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Zerik Aurum Adakite  - Stonelost Haurdir Rogue 2 :  - Character Sheet 

zerik2.png.fa87da8f27475e88be0073c879f15f90.png

AC: 14 | HP: 19/19 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | 

Darkvision : 60 ft | DM Inspiration: 1 | Death Saves : 0/0

Features

Cunning Action

Cunning Aim

Sneak Attack +1d6

Dwarven Resilience

ADV vs Poison Saves

Resistance vs Poison Damage

Dwarven Toughness (+1 HP / LVL) 

Expertise : Perception & Thieves Tools 

Stonecunning : Expertise History Stonework

Languages : Common, Dwarven, Thieve's Cant 

Zerik enjoyed reminiscing about the forge. Haurdir were famous for their smithcraft, stone and metal alike. As an orphan, and having been raised by the wild Lithari tribes on the Plains, Zerik was an outsider among the Grailwarden. It wasn't until he found the forges that he began to fit in somewhere. Those times remained bittersweet, but the memories of the Forge itself were pure, hot, pleasant. Especially now, sitting out in the dreary riverside, the memory of the forge was particularly welcome. 

Zerik could understand how Slither felt. The little Shadow was not alone in this. However, Zerik had been trained for long periods of patient boredom, stalking, Scouting, waiting watching. In fact it was often necessary for a sniper to wait a long time before the enemy might fall into the trap. So, Zerik was perhaps better suited to the wait. But, he still understood how the little Shadow felt. 

Wasn't so very long ago when I was first training to be a scout. 

"Sly, I know how you feel. I'm also eager to get eyes on the warehouse. But remember, that we have several days yet before the meeting, but the people being kidnapped, may not have the time. I know how hard the waiting can be. Many say that the waiting is the hardest part. Ella, isn't there a song about that? Maybe you could find it for us, when we are back at the Inn later." 

Zerik wasnprepared to spend the night, as necessary. By morning, they would all need to return to the Inn for rest either way. 

"I can tell you, I'm looking forward to a hot breakfast, and a steaming cup, when we get back to the Inn, in the morning." 

If they possessed a message system, or a closer space, they might be able to take shifts. While pairs slipped away for food and drink and freshening through the night. 

"Should we pair off, and take turns watching through the night? That way some of us will be rested, if something happens? We can hunker down in our blankets while we wait."

Mechanics : 

Expert Perception +5  

Stealth +5 

Acrobatics +5

Investigation +3

Survival +3

Persuasion +3

*Stonecunning

Carried Equipment : 

add list of gear 

OOC : 

Out

spacer.pngJoyce la Dévouée - Human, Warlock 1

AC: 15 | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | 1st, Slots: 1/1 | Imbued Items: 0/3

The sands of time seemed to slip by with unerring swiftness as the unlikely band awaited their unknown query. Too little avail as day gave way to twilight. The wait felt all the longer for the foul stench of the riverside keeping the group company. The days had left Joyce feeling firmly miserable. She had lost sleep and had found it hard to focus on their current goal. Joyce had planned to see this kidnapping business brought to a conclusion before seeing to her own business. However, she was beginning to have doubts. She could still feel the hushed barely discernable whispers, a shadow dogging her thoughts- like constant clawing at the back of her mind. However, noble their cause all this meandering was beginning to feel like a waste of time. The growing anxiety was befouling her mood, leading Joyce to be more withdrawn as time went on. When it was suggested they call it a day or press on the former knight gave the idea some thought.

"I'm so sure if waiting further would be the best course of action  here." Joyce bite her lip as she squited in thought, "Likely if any were to catch wind of us- a party of our size would cause our query to run to ground."

In truth Joyce wanted to make the best use of what remained of the day and see about her own increasingly more pressing business. That, however, was not exactly something she could admit out loud.

Mechanics

Features

Cunning Action

Cunning Aim

Sneak Attack +1d6

Dwarven Resilience

ADV vs Poison Saves

Zerik listened to Joyce.  They had been through much in a few short days.  He knew that she and Ela had seen other trials during the time when they were separated after arriving in Ptolus. Zerik had come to trust this little group in a short time.  Trust them as he had few outside his regiment.   

What a strange thing, to travel so far in search of family, and on the doorstep of my ancestral home, to find family among these strangers.  Fate is mysterious indeed. 

"I understand how you feel Joyce.  We may not spy our quarry from the shadows tonight.  I am willing to spend the night in hopes of uncovering some clue, however.  We do have several days remaining before our 'meeting' at weeks end.  This vigil, even if it proves to bear little fruit, it was our only other lead.  I don't know what else I would do for the next two days, if not seeking clues here." 

Zerik thought on it for a few moments before continuing.

"I suppose that there were other odd jobs we could pursue.  We could seek out the bounty on dire rat tails, if nothing else." 

Zerik was himself distracted by thoughts of the coming meeting, and his own hopes of resolving the abductions in a favorable way.  Too many innocents were being harmed.  Someone should do something.  

Mechanics : 

Expert Perception +5  

Stealth +5 

Acrobatics +5

Investigation +3

Survival +3

Persuasion +3

*Stonecunning

OOC : 

Out

• 2 weeks later...

Features

Cunning Action

Cunning Aim

Sneak Attack +1d6

Dwarven Resilience

ADV vs Poison Saves

Zerik accompanied the group as they continued the investigation. Without any further leads, they could only wait for the meeting at the warehouse. Zerik spoke with Slither abiut the meeting. The pair seemed of one mind on the matter of Scouting out the building in advance. 

Quite a resourceful little shadow, that one.  

Zerik brought up his own thoughts to the entire group when they were in private. 

"I know we have discussed the upcoming warehouse meeting, I just want to confirm where everyone is on the topic. I think we have agreed to Scout the place out the day before, during business hours. We can send in a couple people to pose as customers. My preference for the day of the meeting, would be to arrive a couple hours early, and watch. I don't think we can afford to split into two teams for the meeting. I'm open to the idea though. It would be nice to have someone in hiding outside, watching our backs. Protecting those inside against nefarious dealings?" 

Zerik knew that both options held risks. Either they went inside in force, trusting to their escapes; or they left a guard team outside, increasing their perspectives but reducing their force.

"On an unrelated note, is there anything that needs to be addressed before the meeting? We have a couple days left, and I honestly can't think of anything more productive than further stakeout at the river. That hasn't been terribly productive as yet. But we might turn up a clue. But no, if anyone has another priority we should assist with before the meeting?" 

Mechanics : 

Expert Perception +5  

Stealth +5 

Acrobatics +5

Investigation +3

Survival +3

Persuasion +3

*Stonecunning

OOC : 

Out

spacer.png

The group had spent the day and now the night on the bridge overlooking the river and for all their waiting, and all their watching, they had nothing to show for it but sleepy eyes, and not one new bit of evidence to be found.

Over the next few days they followed up on multiple ideas, investigated a large section of the waterfront and still had not turned up a solid lead. The time of the meeting at the warehouse was growing closer and the group hoped to get some answers there but they would need to hire on a couple of extra hands to their cause so they had posted on the giant board in Delver's Square for a couple of interested parties.

Over the next day they had interviewed quite a few hopefuls that wanted to aide them but they either wanted too much coin up front or were not qualified to hold little more than a shovel.  But there were two interesting candidates out of the mix. A human woman named River who practiced the crafts of nature and a half-orc brute named Jack that actually had some decent armor. Unfortunately, they had lost Ela in the process, who's sending was finally answered by the noble lady and had whisked her away. They weren't sure if she would be back.

So here the group sat at a table at the Ghostly Minstrel with their two best prospects on the other side of the table. It was the early morning of Theoday and the city was sluggishly waking up for the first day of the week. A large plate of boiled eggs and peas in front of them on the table and a tankard of stout for everyone, paid out of the party's meager funds that would soon run out.

The meeting at the warehouse was tonight, two hours after dusk. So, they had a few hours to seal the deal with the new hopefuls.

Ghostly Minstrel
Time: 8:00 am
Summer - Theoday (Sunday), the 15th day of Growth (July) 721 IA

EXPENSES (Room and Board)
Removing 16 gp from party loot for 4 days of expenses.
That leaves 28 gp in the till.

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

River 15 | Zerik 15 | Alexandra 13 | Joyce 11 | Slither 11 | Jack 10

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

ALEXANDRA OF WINKELSTAD

Hit Points: 9/9
Spell Slots: *L (DC 13/+5)
1st Level: 2/2

JACK

Hit Points: 12/12 * Relentless Endurance
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay On Hands: 5/5 *L
Relentless Endurance: 1/1 *L
Experience Points: 0 / 300

JOYCE LA DÉVOUÉE

Hexblade's Curse: 1/1 *S/L
Spell Slots: *S (DC 13/+5)
1st Level: 1/1
Experience Points: 302 / 300 --- Needs to level up!!

SLITHER

Hit Points: 9/9 (Adv versus disease / Disadv against sleep effects)

ZERIK

Hit Points: 19/19 *Drawven Resilience

YUH-OOL, "RIVER", OF THE NAASITAQ

Experience Points: 0 / 300

spacer.pngJack - Half Orc Paladin 1

AC: 16 | HP: 12/12 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 10 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 5/5

Jack was a tall, mighty, and friendly half orc, the first two of which came with the territory, though the last bit made him stand out more than most of his kind.  He still LOOKED scary; at nearly seven feet tall, full of muscle, with sawdust on his boots and pine sap seemingly a part of his fingertips, Jack was surely a man of the forest.  His mighty axe looked well used, though more in felling trees than living things.  Still, its sheer size and sharpness made it clear that only a fool would desire to be on its opposite side.

But it was his eyes...those dark, brown pools, that looked as kind as a friendly grandfather or a well meaning teacher.  They seemed far out of line with the hars, violent, or insecure expressions found on most of his kind.

"I am so happy that you saw willing to take a chance on me, ladies and gentleman.  I used to be a lumberjack for a kind family not far from here.  I kept them safe from intruders, and also took care of the children when they were away.  Normally, they found me quite a tall mountain to climb," Jack said with a laugh.  "But in any case, I assure you that I know how to fight when it is absolutely needed.  I will not shy away from it.  So what exactly is your plan?  Zerrick and Slither seem so smart; I'm sure whatever they come up with will be worth it."

Jack politely did not stare, ogle, or make a crude comment, but he clearly seemed to think that Alexandra and Joyce were rather cute.  Of course, they were addressed 'My lady' as he was too polite to use anything else.  To Joyce, he gave a friendly smile.  "I'll yield to your expertise, milady.  How do you think it best that we approach this individual?  For my part, I am certainly not quiet, but I can impersonate a rather surly, frightening fellow if need be. A reminder, I think, of some acting courses we took."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Greataxe
Off Hand:

Action: Greataxe
Bonus Action:

Reaction:
Move: movement goes here.
Manipulate: one free object interaction goes here.

Character Sheet

Jack - Half Orc Paladin 1

STATS

Str 16 (+3) Dex 10 (+2) Con 14 (+2) Int 8 (+4) Wis 10 (+2) Cha 16 (+5)
Speed 30 ft.HP 12 HD 1d10 AC 16 (Chainmail)

Passive Perception 10  Initiative +0
Vision: 60' darkvision
DM Inspiration Yes
Languages Common, Elf, Orc
Background Guild Artisan Feature  Guild Membership

WEAPONS

Greataxe +5 attack, 1d12+3 slashing damage

Javelin (range 30/120) +6 attack, 1d6+3 piercing

PROFICIENCIES

Proficiency +2 Saving Throws Wisdom +2, Charisma +5
Weapons All weapons
Armor Light, medium, shields

FEATS 

RACIAL FEATURES

• Size. Half-orcs are somewhat larger and bulkier than humans, and they range from 5 to well over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
  • Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
  • Darkvision. Thanks to your orc blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
  • Menacing. You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill.
  • Relentless Endurance. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
  • Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon's damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
  • Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Orc. Orc is a harsh, grating language with hard consonants. It has no script of its own but is written in the Dwarvish script.

CLASS FEATURES

Divine Sense

Lay on Hands

Fighting Style:  none yet

Equipment

General Inventory 

Chainmail  45#
Greataxe  6#

Travelers clothes 4#
Backpack 5#
Bedroll 7#
Mess Kit 1#
Rations x10 20#
Waterskin 5#
Crowbar 5#
Pitons 2#
50' silk rope 5#

Scrolls

Coin Purse  
Platinum: 0
Gold: 15
Electrum: 0
Silver: 0
Copper: 0

Encumbrance

Max Load: 240 lbs. (15 x 16 STR)

Current Weight: 106 (unencumbered)

Spells

Spell Attack: +5
Spell DC: 13

Cantrips

Yuh-ool, "River" - Human (Naasitaq) Druidspacer.png

AC: 13 | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/2

The other potential recruit was a young woman, slightly short and with a wiry build, from the snowy forests to the north. Previously, she'd spoken of her beautiful homeland but her growing curiosity of the "civilized folk", and her subsequent uneventful journey to Ptolus on one of the small trading ships. After a couple tries of trying to correct the party on how to pronounce her name properly, she'd shrugged and had settled on just being called River.

Now, River sat at the table with her legs crossed, relaxed and steadily munching on her second boiled egg. She seemed comfortable sitting next to Jack's large figure, and when Jack finished speaking, River spoke too. 

"I'm still interested in acting with you as well. My supply of coins are withering away, and few are tasks that an unknown outsider is trusted with. Saving people and solving crime seems a good path for me, though the tales of the vast labyrinth and treasure beneath the city also interests me."

River eyed another boiled egg wistfully, before continuing. 

"My talent lies less with wielding weapons and more with calling upon the nature's power. A little healing, communicating with animals, conjuring large vines to restrain foes, flinging fires, that sort of thing. If you're fighting these criminals tonight, we can see if we hunt together well. Though, listening to your stories, I think there are two different threats here. One-that-kills, and one-that-takes." A thoughtful pause, then she added, ".. unless that girl had seen something she shouldn't have." 

Mechanics

Edited by Booker28 (see edit history)

spacer.pngJoyce la Dévouée - Human, Warlock 2

AC: 18 | HP: 17/17 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | 1st, Slots: 2/2 | Imbued Items: 0/3

Sleep eluded Joyce for much of the night; strange, haunting dreams had made proper rest impossible for the young knight. It left Joyce with a familiar pulsing headache as she stirred that morning. So she awoke early, garbing herself in the newly acquired clothes she'd managed to pick up at Saches. Replacing her bandolier of knives for a more subtle leather belt and boots. A longer hemmed dark trench coat that was companied by a short cape. Marta had even been kind enough to point out a feathered hat that complimented the whole ensemble.

Eventually finishing her morning preparations, she slipped downstairs, soon realizing she was one of the first to rise. She ordered warm milk to compliment her usual breakfast fair. As Joyce attempted to enjoy her meagre meal Joyce contemplated the past few days. The days since reaching the city felt like a blur. So much had happened, between losing Godelieve someone who had reminded Joyce of so much of herself- and what she had lost. Then to finally enter the city and be drawn into this investigation. A tragedy to herald yet more ugliness. Worse Joyce's long-time and only recently reunited friend had been called away. An unforeseen circumstance that left Joyce feeling quite alone now. There was no one left she felt she could completely trust, yet between being hunted as well as haunted by forces she did not understand Joyce was in no position to strike out on her own.

Not quite yet.

For now, she'd stay the course, and make an effort to solve this case. Perhaps lothian might smile on them and grant a happy ending for once? Joyce would settle for the newest recruits being pleasant to work with at the very least. It wasn't long before the rest of her compatriots joined her at the table, including the two aforementioned new recruits. The first to get the young knight's attention was the goliath of a man named Jack. A prosaic name and a friendly enough looking fellow despite appearances. He contrasted sharply with the small unassuming young girl that shadowed him in.

More dull-witted meat for the grinder, eh. Perhaps the big one will last longer than the last godsworn fool?

Joyce frowned as Ig'drich's whispers echoed at the corners of her thoughts. An intruding presence that clung like fetid oil on her psyche. She subtly inhaled through her teeth closing her eyes as she shored up her mental defenses, shoving its influence to the back of her mind. It was enough of a distraction Joyce almost missed the fact she had been addressed by one of their new arrivals. 

Joyce blinked trying to recall what the question was. Then cleared her throat as she thought of an answer before saying, "at the moment we possess scarce information on who we're meeting. We have a place and time, as you no doubt are already aware and it's likely they're expecting two humans; members of the pale dogs outside the city." 

Leaning back Joyce nodded at River's words, "acTrolone for – yes, affirmative., that was our assumption as well- Phon, however, wasn't certain why she was targeted or what she could have seen that made her a target. But, before we get to business, why don't we introduce our self, perhaps speak a little about ourselves? Seems like a fair idea given we will be working together for the first time. Some of us at least. I'll start. My name is Joyce la Dévouée, as you might guess from the name, I'm originally from Trolone. A mercenary by trade, who's come to Ptolus seeking a certain artifact. Nothing surprising there I'd guess? As for something more personally ha, well I used to enjoy painting." The last she added with a small smile and shrug.

Mechanics

Spell Casting

Spell Casting
| CHA | DC 13 | Mod+5 |
Spell Slots: 2 (1st level)

Cantrips

• Eldritch Blast
  • Friends

1st Level

• Armour of Agathys
  • Charm Person
  • Hex

Edited by GreekFire (see edit history)

Posting Template

Slither - Harrow Elf Artificer

AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/2 | Imbued Items: 0/3spacer.png

Slither leaned back in his chair, arms crossed, chewing on a toothpick. He was grumpy, because he didn't like meeting new people. Yet ever since he had been rescued from that mine it seemed like he had been doing nothing but meeting new people. First Ela, Joyce and Zerik, who had rescued him. Then came Ardan, who had seemingly dissapeared as soon as they had entered the city, and Alexandra. And now another two new recruits, Jack and River. Slither probably didn't miss Ela as much as Joyce and Zerik did, given all their differences, but he eventually agreed that two adventurers probably wouldn't hurt either, so here he was.

Jack seemed like a nice enough fellow to be around, and looking at the rest of the party, they could probably use someone with his appearance if they would ever have to resort to some good old fashioned intimidation. Yet Slither didn't trust him. Given his paranoid nature he was probably just looking for a reason not to trust Jack, but in Slithers mind people like Jack didn't act so kind and likeable unless they had something to hide.

Slither wasn't as distrustfull of River as he was of Jack, but they were definitely going to have their differences, given how one of them was a Druid and drew her power from nature, while the other was an artificer, drawing his power from the very technology and craftmanship that had created cities like Ptolus. Cities she saw as voilent and honorless, yet was very eager to learn more about.

"I'm from the Sea Kingdoms, to the south of Ptolus. I used to work for the thieves guild of the town I grew up in, but well... I uhh eventually got kicked out. That's when I made my journey to Ptolus. I'm best at crafting all sorts of magical contraptions and inventions, so I guess you could call me an artificer." The young elf introduced himself to Jack and River.

Mechanics

Edited by erter (see edit history)

Features

Cunning Action

Cunning Aim

Sneak Attack +1d6

Dwarven Resilience

ADV vs Poison Saves

Zerik told his own story as well. Joyce and Slither and Alexandra already knew it. He stuck to the cliff notes digest version, but still, it had been a fairly intense century thus far. Things in Ptolus weren't looking to mellow out anytime soon it would seem. Highlights from his brief tale were punctuated by heavy pulls from his cider. 

"Have you had the chance to spend much time with the Litorian tribes? I was actually rescued and raised by a ferocious, proud, wonder full tribe. I can say it wasn't easy, and eventually as I grew, they decided I belonged with other Haurdir. They brought me across the Plains, to the Grailwarden under the mountain. I don't think I ever really fit in with them though. I didn't know where I fit until I found the forge. And I didn't really have any sense of family there. At least, not until I joined the Service. I'm thankful to the Grailwarden, for taking me in. But serving in the Aarmed Forces, both in the war southwest of Ptolus, and helping refuges from the siege of Tarsis, I saaw the world outside the mountain. And I realized somewhere along the way, that I don't really know anything about, who I am? Or who my family was. I only know, that I'm Stonelost, and they live under Ptolus. So I've come, to work, and earn a place with my people. The surprise for me, was finding camaraderie with Joyce, Ela, and Godelieve. Now building bonds with Slither and Alexandra. We lost Godelieve recently. That grief is still close, and Ela has been called away. So please forgive us if we have a few moments when the storms show in our emotions. We are also stressed, over this investigation. But we have a day to prepare before the meeting, and it's excellent and exciting to meet you both. Speaking for myself, as an adopted orphan, if you are faithful with my trust, you'll have my loyalty for life. If you will join us in this coming mission, I think we might be able to solve this mystery... "

Zerik was eager to get into the planning for Scouting the warehouse. One other thing was on the forefront of his thoughts. 

"When we have a moment, I'd like to check in with Phon. But as to scouting this warehouse, what is everyone thinking? Any strong feelings abiut how we scout the scene?" 

Zerik was consulting the map of the city, paying close attention to the neighbourhood around the warehouse. His mind was focusing tighter and tighter on the task, as the day loomed closer. 

Mechanics : 

Expert Perception +5  

Stealth +5 

Acrobatics +5

Investigation +3

Survival +3

Persuasion +3

*Stonecunning

OOC : 

Out

Alexandra of Winkelstad - Human Cleric of Life (MW Character Sheet)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 9/9 | HD: 1/1d8 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 13  | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Alexandra had been able to influence the group's decision and persuade them to spend the night by the canal, but to no avail - the night had been uneventful and the party had not learned anything new. The priestess was slowly beginning to question her planning and leadership skills.

And then it became apparent that Ela would leave the party. 'What a shame, she certainly contributed a lot to our little group. She will definitely be missed.' Alexandra thought.

But soon, the group was able to attract two new candidates. The priestess listened to their tales, finding both interesting, but especially interested in the half-orc's religious beliefs. River was a druid, there was little hope to convert her to the Faith; but the half-orc? Perhaps he could be reasoned with.

Alexandra waited for her companions to introduce themselves before chiming in.
"I am Alexandra. I hail from Winkelstad, near Carper's Bay. I am a humble follower of my Lord Lothian." she told the newcomers with a friendly smile. Of course she did not mention her noble origins. That was not a question of humility; she simply tried to forget that part of her life. "Being a fresh addition to the group myself, I have no right to decide who joins or not. But I for one would be delighted to have you and to bid you welcome." she added with a glance in Zerik's direction. "You both seem skilled, and the sad truth is that we do need help if we are to succeed. May Lothian smile upon us."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Mace
Off Hand: Shield

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate: