Act 3: A Matter of Faith

bwatford

spacer.png

Once an agreement had been reached the newly formed company decided to use the street trafffic of midday to scope out the neighborhood that the warehouse was in, the neighborhood was known as Longbottom. It was a rough neighborhood on the southern edge of Midtown that butted against the Guildsman District, the Longbottom area was filled with a strange hodgepodge of warehouses and tenements, with a few private homes. In this rough neighborhood, many of the older buildings stood empty and abandoned.

The group was able to easily locate Able Row and then the red painted warehouse that the note had mentioned. It was an innocuous-looking rectangular wooden building with a partial second floor. The warehouse had about a dozen or so workers present, it looked as if they mostly dealt with creates full of bolts of cloth, clay mugs, and similar goods.

Warehouse
Time: 12:00 pm
Summer - Theoday (Sunday), the 15th day of Growth (July) 721 IA

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

River 15 | Zerik 15 | Alexandra 13 | Joyce 11 | Slither 11 | Jack 10

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

ALEXANDRA OF WINKELSTAD

Hit Points: 9/9
Hit Dice: 1/1
Spell Slots: *L (DC 13/+5)
1st Level: 2/2
Attuned Magic Items: 0/3
DM Inspiration: 1/1
Experience Points: 40 / 300

JACK

Hit Points: 12/12 * Relentless Endurance
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay On Hands: 5/5 *L
Relentless Endurance: 1/1 *L
Experience Points: 0 / 300

JOYCE LA DÉVOUÉE

Hit Points: 17/17
Hit Dice: 2/2
Hexblade's Curse: 1/1 *S/L
Spell Slots: *S (DC 13/+5)
Experience Points: 302 / 900

SLITHER

Hit Points: 9/9 (Adv versus disease / Disadv against sleep effects)

ZERIK

Hit Points: 19/19 *Drawven Resilience

YUH-OOL, "RIVER", OF THE NAASITAQ

Hit Points: 10/10
Experience Points: 0 / 300

Zerik Aurum Adakite  - Stonelost Haurdir Rogue 2 :  - Character Sheet 

zerik2.png.fa87da8f27475e88be0073c879f15f90.png

AC: 14 | HP: 19/19 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | 

Darkvision : 60 ft | DM Inspiration: 1 | Death Saves : 0/0

Features

Cunning Action

Cunning Aim

Sneak Attack +1d6

Dwarven Resilience

ADV vs Poison Saves

Resistance vs Poison Damage

Dwarven Toughness (+1 HP / LVL) 

Expertise : Perception & Thieves Tools 

Stonecunning : Expertise History Stonework

Languages : Common, Dwarven, Thieve's Cant 

Zerik watched the traffic coming and going in and around the warehouse, for a time before checking his boots. He checked the laces, and the soles, feigned tying his laces. He stood, dusted his hands off, and started to move. 

"I'm gonna get a closer look at the building. I won't go in yet. I'll come back with whatever I find out."

Zerik slipped into the flow of traffic through the streets. He used his map, folded open to the general area. He asked for various directions from passersby as he went. Moving slowly but steadily through the street, subtly inspecting the perimeter of the building as he went. It took him longer than if he were to simply walk the building walls, but he was chatting with strangers, acting lost, and faux inspecting other street stalls and such. He returned to the group by a roundabout manner, shaking any tailing observers, before reporting what he had learned. He had paid special attention, from various angles, to the entrances, windows, roofline, second story, and any adjacent structures that might prove useful. 

"Well, we'd know more if we could get inside. Maybe bluff looking to pickup a shipment recently ordered? Of course, the shipment won't be ready, because no word will have reached them about the order. Which, never will, because we'll storm out in a huff 'to go demand a refund from the merchant'. "Merchant? Con artist! Charlatan!", etc etc etc... " 

Zerik looked at his allies, wondering what they thought, if they had any different suggestions of their own.

Zerik looked to the sky to check the hour. Mentally keeping the deadline for the meeting in mind. He wanted to be out of sight before the meeting. 

Mechanics : 

Expertise Thieves Tools (+ 7)

Expert Perception +5  

Stealth +5 

Acrobatics +5

Investigation +3

Survival +3

Persuasion +3

*Stonecunning

Darkvision 60 ft (Haurdir) 

Main Hand: Pickaxe (Rapier)

Off Hand:  Empty (Dagger option) 

Action:  ...

Bonus Action:  ...

Move:  ...

Manipulate:  ...

OOC : 

Out

spacer.pngJoyce la Dévouée - Human, Warlock 2

AC: 13 | HP: 17/17 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | 1st, Slots: 2/2 | Imbued Items: 0/3

Joyce sized up the red-bricked building, the target of the group's supposed meeting. Meeting who and for what purpose? Well, lothian willing perhaps they might finally acquire the lead the group so desperately needed. So much time already lost- waste, with nothing to show for it. Every day that passed drastically reduced the possibility of finding the missing girl alive. Hope was a fragile thing, so easily broken or lost. Only time would tell if what hope remained was not misplaced. Following the parties' introductions, Joyce returned to her room and decided on a less conspicuous appearance. Stashing her shield, and Godelieve's old sword. Joyce had retained only her daggers, easily concealable for now.

Noticing Zerik peeling off she nodded to herself and informed the others, "I'll see what I can learn, I'll circle back."

She then merged with the relatively light foot traffic of the main road. Circling around Joyce made her way to the warehouse's front entrance. As nonchalant as any innocent citizen could manage the former knight eyed the working laborers. After a short while, she picked one out who was currently busy unloading a wagon near the side street front entrance. Summoning her most friendly and disarming smile, she made her way over to the laborer in question. 

"Evening, sirrah, excuse my interruption. I'm employed by a recently arrived trader from Caper's Bay. We've been canvassing the neighborhood's unoccupied warehouses, looking for a suitable establishment to rent. Embarrassingly we haven't yet had time to become acquainted with our possible future neighbor's. Would you be so kind as to tell me the name of the owner of this building?"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Spell Casting

Spell Casting
| CHA | DC 13 | Mod+5 |
Spell Slots: 2 (1st level)

Cantrips

• Eldritch Blast
  • Friends

1st Level

• Armour of Agathys
  • Charm Person
  • Hex

Edited by GreekFire (see edit history)

Yuh-ool, "River" - Human (Naasitaq) Druidspacer.png

AC: 13 | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/2

It was noon, and the meeting was two hours after dusk. With that much time ahead of them, River figured that she had all the time in the world to ask around the animals in the area about the warehouse, or even befriend one to peek inside the warehouse when the time came.

River turned to her companions and expressed as such. 

"I will see what I can do by asking the animals around here about this place. Perhaps some of you could ask some who live around here about the warehouse? If we tell them that we seek to end kidnappings, perhaps they will not close their mouths."

After conversing and consulting with the others a little more, she looked around the warehouse and the immediate buildings surrounding it, trying to find mice, squirrels, or birds that may have nested near. She had brought some small morsels from the inn for this purpose - bit of cheese, bread and nuts - and she hoped that the animals inside the city would be amenable to her requests"That building.. do humans stay inside after the sun goes down, or is it empty and safe?"

"I can give you more food tonight, if you will do a small favor for me then. When I ask, peek inside the warehouse and let me know if there are humans inside."

Mechanics

Action: Find a small animal, then Ritual cast Speak with Animals, and try to bribe the animal for info and hire it for a peek two hours after dusk when the meeting happens. 
Bonus Action: .
Move: Ritual cast in a spot that won't draw too much attention. Maybe inside one of the abandoned buildings? 
Manipulate: 

spacer.png

It didn't take Zerik long to scout he perimeter of the warehouse, the building itself was only about fifty-five-feet square. Two entrances, the front had a main set of loading doors, and the rear had a single door. Both, he assumed went into the open warehouse space. The upper-level portion was only about half the building, he imagined offices of some sort that looked out on the warehouse floor.  That was the usual design for such. The warehouse had no visible windows on either floor and as he passed the open bay doors of the front of the warehouse, he could see piles of crates inside in various places.

Meanwhile Joyce talked up one of the workers, "Would be so kind as to tell me the name of the owner of this building?" she had already spotted the company name on the building 'Willowares'.

The worker stopped only momentarily "Malen Dhuhir, is the man that owns Willowares. You can find him inside, upstairs in the office." then the worker moved back into the warehouse.

River worked with what wildlife she could find around the area, mostly rats and the like. They didn't quite understand what a human was or what the sun meant, so she had to phrase it in the most simpliest of terms. They could only convey that when the light went out the building was empty, or at least it was last night.  Rat memories are short lived. No food stored there.

When she tried to ask them of a task later the rats seemed eager but easily wondered off a few moments later. She might ask of them the task as the time got closer.

image.png.2a5a960b9aa817b3325d16e8ff1d78e5.png

Warehouse
Time: 1:00 pm

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

ALEXANDRA OF WINKELSTAD

JACK

JOYCE LA DÉVOUÉE

SLITHER

ZERIK

spacer.pngJoyce la Dévouée - Human, Warlock 2

AC: 13 | HP: 17/17 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | 1st, Slots: 2/2 | Imbued Items: 0/3

Joyce offered a nod of thanks as the worker returned to his duties. Turning she took the time to walk the street a bit, getting familiar with the neighborhood, before wandering her way back to the group alongside a few passers-by. Joyce noted River had also slipped away and decided to wait until both River and Zerik returned before reporting what little Joyce had learned. Her right hand unconsciously toyed with the end of her braid as she postponed for Zerik and River. Once they had revealed what they had found she paused in thought.

"So what now then aimico'sAimico – term meaning "friend"?" Joyce began crossing her arms, "I doubt there is much more we can learn about the place from outside. Though I doubt this place is tied to whoever hired those assassins- we can't overlook the risk this man or woman works here or might be Malen himself. Unlikely unless he is a complete postenagoPostenago – "idiot" (literally "carrot").. So it seems we have some choices to make, I fear I'm unsure myself how we might approach this little puzzle. Sirrah Aurum what do you think?"

Mechanics

Spell Casting

Spell Casting
| CHA | DC 13 | Mod+5 |
Spell Slots: 2 (1st level)

Cantrips

• Eldritch Blast
  • Friends

1st Level

• Armour of Agathys
  • Charm Person
  • Hex

Features

Cunning Action

Cunning Aim

Sneak Attack +1d6

Dwarven Resilience

ADV vs Poison Saves

Zerik responded thoughtfully, carefully considering the puzzle before them.  It was intriguing. 

"The meeting takes place this evening, shortly after dusk. We haven't met the contacts. We have a name, and the instructions, from the note given to the hired thugs.  We could easily wait outside until the meeting time, and watch and wait.  My personal preference would be to insert into the office, overlooking the ground floor.  I could provide cover from there."

Zerik wasn't sure at all how the meeting would go down.  They didn't know enough. . 

"W I wish we knew more... but there just isn't time to wait to stake this place out at length.  It remains one of our only leads.  We need to try to figure out why someone sent thugs to kill Phon.  She can't stay in cover forever, but she won't be safe until this is resolved." 

Zerik could only hope that somehow this matter might shed some light on the other disappearances

Mechanics : 

Expert Perception +5  

Stealth +5 

Acrobatics +5

Investigation +3

Survival +3

Persuasion +3

*Stonecunning

OOC : 

Out

spacer.pngJack - Half Orc Paladin 1

AC: 16 | HP: 12/12 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 10 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 5/5

Jack did his best to pass the time in peace, which wasn't easy to do when you carried a gigantic axe larger than the average person on your back, but he managed well enough.  However, the half orc didn't see a lot of options for the current predicament.

"Would it be of any assistance to talk to this Malen Dhuhir up in the office?  The name means nothing to me, but perhaps there is something he might know that could help us?"

oll

Main Hand: Greataxe
Off Hand:

Action: Greataxe
Bonus Action:

Reaction:
Move: movement goes here.
Manipulate: one free object interaction goes here.

Character Sheet

Jack - Half Orc Paladin 1

STATS

Str 16 (+3) Dex 10 (+2) Con 14 (+2) Int 8 (+4) Wis 10 (+2) Cha 16 (+5)
Speed 30 ft.HP 12 HD 1d10 AC 16 (Chainmail)

Passive Perception 10  Initiative +0
Vision: 60' darkvision
DM Inspiration Yes
Languages Common, Elf, Orc
Background Guild Artisan Feature  Guild Membership

WEAPONS

Greataxe +5 attack, 1d12+3 slashing damage

Javelin (range 30/120) +6 attack, 1d6+3 piercing

PROFICIENCIES

Proficiency +2 Saving Throws Wisdom +2, Charisma +5
Weapons All weapons
Armor Light, medium, shields

FEATS 

RACIAL FEATURES

• Size. Half-orcs are somewhat larger and bulkier than humans, and they range from 5 to well over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
  • Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
  • Darkvision. Thanks to your orc blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
  • Menacing. You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill.
  • Relentless Endurance. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
  • Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon's damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
  • Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Orc. Orc is a harsh, grating language with hard consonants. It has no script of its own but is written in the Dwarvish script.

CLASS FEATURES

Divine Sense

Lay on Hands

Fighting Style:  none yet

Equipment

General Inventory 

Chainmail  45#
Greataxe  6#

Travelers clothes 4#
Backpack 5#
Bedroll 7#
Mess Kit 1#
Rations x10 20#
Waterskin 5#
Crowbar 5#
Pitons 2#
50' silk rope 5#

Scrolls

Coin Purse  
Platinum: 0
Gold: 15
Electrum: 0
Silver: 0
Copper: 0

Encumbrance

Max Load: 240 lbs. (15 x 16 STR)

Current Weight: 106 (unencumbered)

Spells

Spell Attack: +5
Spell DC: 13

Cantrips

Alexandra of Winkelstad - Human Cleric of Life (MW Character Sheet)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 9/9 | HD: 1/1d8 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 13  | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Alexandra listened to the half-orc, but shook her head when he suggested meeting Malen Dhuhir.

"For all we know he might be involved in the plot, and could even be its mastermind." she said. "If he is innocent, I do not believe he can provide useful information; and if he is indeed involved, well - we lose all the advantages we might have kept had we refrained from talking to him, especially the element of surprise."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Mace
Off Hand: Shield

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate:

Edited by Leonidas1789 (see edit history)

Slither - Harrow Elf Artificer

AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/2 | Imbued Items: 0/3spacer.png

While Zerick scouted the warehouse, River saw what she could find out from the rats and Joyce asked some questions to the workers at the warehosue, Slither stayed back together with Jack. He imagined he wouldn't be of much use when it came to approaching the workers and Zerik would be perfectly fine scouting the warehouse on his own. 

Slither listened to what Alexandra had to say, but disagreed with her. "I don't think Malen is involved, and if he is he definitely isn't the mastermind behind this plot. A gang wouldn't just meet with two cutpurses at the warehouse of their leader." He confidently made his point, speaking from experience of his own time with a thieves guild.

The young Harrow Elf wasn't sure about sneaking into the warehouse itself. It would probably make it easier to ambush Doffel if he showed up for the meeting, but at the same time he was also concious of the fact that it wasn't exactly legal. Slither wasn't afraid of breaking the law, but given the fact that they hadn't even secured proper papers to stay in Ptolus yet it might not be a bad idea to simply stake out the warehouse from the outside, which he voiced to the rest of the group.

Mechanics

Yuh-ool, "River" - Human (Naasitaq) Druidspacer.png

AC: 13 | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/2

Listening to the others speak, River looked to the sky and sniffed the air.

"Separating and spreading out works well when hunting rabbits, but it is not wise when fighting wolves. I say we count and make sure that everyone who's working now leaves the building when night falls, and simply wait outside for our quarry. If they are few in number, we can talk or jump them. If they are too many, we can wait until they tire, then track them until they split." 

She wondered about the city-folk who operated under shadows. Were they rats, relying on darkness to skulk about, or something more sinister and dangerous?

Mechanics

Action: 
Bonus Action: .
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Features

Cunning Action

Cunning Aim

Sneak Attack +1d6

Dwarven Resilience

ADV vs Poison Saves

Zerik acknowledged the reason behind their positions. Even where they disagreed personally, everyone was being reasonable. 

"I don't mind waiting outside to see who shows up. Leaves us the most options as things unfold. If we assume that the enemy is thinking some of the same points you made, then we should not present our full strength in the open. I vote we have 3 out in the open, and three in cover, observing. If things go well, we can join and proceed. If things go well, perhaps they will have underestimated our numbers."

Zerik would need to make peace with waiting outside. But this was someone's business. Not a den of thieves. . 

"Hopefully they show up on time, and are prepared to answer our questions." 

Mechanics : 

Expert Perception +5  

Stealth +5 

Acrobatics +5

Investigation +3

Survival +3

Persuasion +3

*Stonecunning

OOC : 

Out

Alexandra of Winkelstad - Human Cleric of Life (MW Character Sheet)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 9/9 | HD: 1/1d8 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 13  | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Alexandra turned to Zerik.

"I do not mind being out in the open too. I am relatively good with words, but I'll let you lead the discussion."

The priestess decided to keep her large shield for the meeting, but to store her mace - at the beginning of the encounter at least.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Mace
Off Hand: Shield

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate:

spacer.png

The day wore on, and the summer sun moved through the sky.  A passing vendor offered a discount on a midday meal, as they were packing up and heading home.  Fed, and rested if a bit bored, the hour grew late. The party watched as the warehouse began to close down for the evening.  It was roughly 8 pm, the long summer day winding down.  The warehouse obviously kept long hours this time of year, using the light, filling orders to keep the city moving.  It had been a busy day, and all signs had pointed to this being a legit business making an honest living.  This warehouse was just one of dozens like it, storing and shipping goods across the city.  It might have been quite unremarkable had they not been sent here specifically.

That was probably why it was chosen for this meeting. Just one unremarkable building among hundreds.  Nothing special to set it out.

Dusk was less than an hour away now, and their meeting was set for 2 hours after dusk.  The warehouse emptied out, and locked up, dark, looming, but completely unassuming.

During the day, you did notice a few wandering Watch patrols.  Few and far between, the neighborhood seemed fairly mellow most of the day.  Busy, but not especially dangerous in the light of day.  Not with so many people coming and going.  Certainly, there was a some light pickpocketing among the crowds, but that was all but unavoidable. The watch appeared to make a rotation past the various businesses as they closed down for the night, but without any sign of distress, they moved along and were out of sight before long.

It was time to get into position to wait for the meeting. There was the main entrance, and a streetlamp on the thoroughfare not far away shed a little light there.  The rear entrance rested off the back alley, the office overlooking it.  There were 2 windows in the office. There were several small, high windows on the warehouse walls, set high to let in light during the day. There were no windows at ground level, to remove temptation and vandalism, presumably. 

Zerik moved to a position across the street, on the west side of the building, where he could see the front doors, but move south to oversee the back alley. If someone joined him on his low rooftop perch, they'd be able to cover both entrances, without moving. Then they could keep an eye on the waiting Face squad, while still watching the rear entrance for any surprises.

Meanwhile, Jack and Joyce were acknowledged as the two most suited to negotiations, and nominated to lead the meeting.  That left Slither, Alexandra, and River, to take their places, and Jack and Joyce to choose where to await their contact for the meeting. 

Zerik suggested the group light a candle hanging from the hook at the front door, to let their contacts know the meeting was on. It would be subtle enough to not draw attention, as other buildings employed the practice in the neighborhood. They could then wait a short distance away, for their contact to approach the warehouse to meet them.

image.png.2a5a960b9aa817b3325d16e8ff1d78e5.png

Warehouse
Time: 8:15 pm (dusk at 830 pm)

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

ALEXANDRA OF WINKELSTAD

JACK

JOYCE LA DÉVOUÉE

SLITHER

ZERIK

Edited by Sweegy One (see edit history)

Slither - Harrow Elf Artificer

AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/2 | Imbued Items: 0/3spacer.png

Slither ended up siding with Zerik. If all 6 of them were outside it was a lot more likey that Doffel would be scared off if he did show up, and if they didn't manage to capture him they'd be pretty much at a dead end in their search for Hanleys daughter. Sometimes you just had to take a little risk if you wanted to get ahead in this world.

After their deliberations Slither decided teamed to help out the Dwarf. He liked Zerik and he imagined he wouldn't be of much use when it came to sweettalking Doffel if he decided to showed up. He left the back alley to Zerik, while watching over the front entrance himself. While they were waiting for the warehouse to clear out Slither kept himself busy by weaving together a makeshift parachute from several bedsheets, which he and Zerik could use to quickly get down to the street if they needed to. 

Mechanics

Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.                                                                                                                                                                                       Spells Prepared: Cure Wounds, Feather Fall, Grease.