Character Creation Questions

The Vermicious Knid

This looks like a fun campaign.

I have a couple of questions.  I know you explained it, but I want to make sure that I understand.

We are all shield (hill) dwarves.  We can add the +2 and +1 for ability scores where ever we want.

We get a feat for first level.

We are starting at 4th level.  In lieu of the standard ASI we get a +2 and +1 and a feat.

So basically we are getting +6 to ability scores and two feats to begin with.

For the attributes, can we just roll 4d4 choose the best 3 and add +6?  This should give the same range and might be simpler with the dice roller on Baldr.  I could be wrong.  I am not very experienced with using Baldr.

1 hour ago, WolfBirch said:

This looks like a fun campaign.

I have a couple of questions.  I know you explained it, but I want to make sure that I understand.

We are all shield (hill) dwarves.  We can add the +2 and +1 for ability scores where ever we want.

We get a feat for first level.

We are starting at 4th level.  In lieu of the standard ASI we get a +2 and +1 and a feat.

So basically we are getting +6 to ability scores and two feats to begin with.

For the attributes, can we just roll 4d4 choose the best 3 and add +6?  This should give the same range and might be simpler with the dice roller on Baldr.  I could be wrong.  I am not very experienced with using Baldr.

Race:  Yes, Hill/Shield Dwarves only.

Ability Score Generation:  I suppose in theory that works out the same way, but I'd rather be consistent.  I tested it out before I posted this and was able to do it with minimal fuss.  This is the code I used if it makes it simpler for you, which you can plug in with the second option in the dice roller:  repeat(drop(reroll(4d6,2,below),lowest,1),6)

Ability Score Improvements:  Your race grants you a +2 to one ability and a +1 to any other at 1st level.  At 4th level your ASI class feature grants you another +2 to one of choice and a +1 to one other, but only once at any given level even if duplicated by both classes.  Some classes, like Fighter, gain additional ASIs at unusual levels, and they grant you the full +2/+1 bonus on those levels, too, even if your other class doesn't grant an ASI that level.

Feats:  You get one of choice at 1st level, and another each time you gain the ASI class feature, but only once at any given level.  For most classes that means you you start with two.  As above, some classes gain additional ASIs at unusual levels, and that grants a feat for that level, too, even if your other class doesn't grant an ASI.  Oh, and if one or both of your classes combined would grant all the proficiencies granted by your Dwarven Combat Training racial at 1st level, you would gain a third bonus feat as well.  No one likes useless traits.

So in summary, the best you can do with your abilities is a +4 to one score and a +2 to one other, though you can mix it up in other ways, too.  +2/+2/+2, +2/+2/+1/+1, +4/+1/+1, and so on.  Actually in hindsight, I think that may be all the combinations you can do, hahaha.  Also everyone gains 2 feats at the start of the game, with some gestalt combos granting a third based on their weapon proficiencies.

Glad you like the premise, by the way.  I look forward to seeing what you cook up!

Edited by The Vermicious Knid (see edit history)

Very interested in applying with a Wild Magic Dwarf... as in both Wild Magic Barbarian and Wild Magic Sorcerer (not the best synthesis I know, but really thematic). Wanted to double check what the application deadline is to make sure I put something up in time. 

There really isn't a deadline now, I just had to put one into the advertisement in order to make it show up as one.  But the date I plugged in was Feburary 9th.

When I start seeing enough characters close to being done, and a number I'm happy with, I'll make a public announcement about an actual deadline (which will probably be one week after the announcement).

Looking at being the party's skill monkey 😛 He's a little on in years, but he's got plenty of miles on him.

Since I am focusing on skills, can I take the Skill ExpertSource: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

You have honed your proficiency with particular skills, granting you the following benefits:

Increase one ability score of your choice by 1, to a maximum of 20.

You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.

Choose one skill in which you have proficiency. You gain expertise with that skill, which means your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with it. The skill you choose must be one that isn't already benefiting from a feature, such as Expertise, that doubles your proficiency bonus.
feat twice and apply it to two different skills and ability score increases?

As a Rogue 4 || Bard 4
Just checking, but will I have a total of +6 points spread how I want at 4th? Plus my feats?

Another question. If players got lucky with rolls, the standard rules are ability score increases via the ability score improvement and feats say it caps at 20. At 4th it won't happen, but 8th and 12th it sure could.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

Skill Expert:  Yeah, I have no problem with that, especially since Expertise is in your wheelhouse from both classes already.

Ability Score Caps:  Yes, 20 is still the hard cap for everyone unless you gain a specific ability that raises that cap.  e.g. a barbarian's Primal Champion class feature that bumps Strength's max up to 24.

Thanks on the Skill Expert.

In regards to classes, are we also using the variant options rules? I don't know if it's 3rd party or not.
Rogue
2nd: Cunning Action: Aim
3rd:
Steady Aim
4th:
Proficiency Versatility

Bard
1st:
Magical Inspiration,Spell Versatility

2nd: Magical Inspiration

4th: Proficiency Versatility, Bardic Versatility

27 minutes ago, The Vermicious Knid said:

I'm still learning 5e a bit myself.  Can you give some sources for them?  I'm only familiar with one or two, which I believe are from Tasha's Cauldron?  (I don't have my books with me at the moment.)

Unearthed Arcana: Class Feature Variants
All classes have variant options that can be used.