Character Creation Questions

The Vermicious Knid

Yes, you can have a familiar.

Yes, you would need to pay any costs associated with casting Find Familiar or any other spell with an expensive component.

Yes, you can go with a pseudodragon familiar.  They're covered by the variant rules in Volo's Guide (p. 347).  Even though those rules are meant for NPCs, I don't have a big problem allowing them for PCs, too.

Okay, one last question for ya and then I am done.

Would you allow my guy to have a clockwork mule instead of a regular mule? Stat wise they are the same, but of course it does not require food. I just stumbled across it while going for the stats for a regular mule and thought it would be pretty cool.

I think that's a bit much, especially since the group might already be stretching to have even a single mule at all.  I covered that topic in the chargen rules.  It also doesn't really jive with the region your characters are from.  The Moonshae Isles are, culturally speaking, relatively primitive compared to the rest of the Realms.  Think medieval Nordic countries.

Basically, while I'm okay with a limited number of firearms and similar technology due to trade with nearby Lantan and stuff, I don't think clockwork mules (or any other animals) really fits the mythos of the region.  I imagine local Artificers to be more "magic craftsmen" than "clockwork tinkerers," if that helps.  Think the dwarves of Norse mythology, or someone like Floki from the Vikings TV series.

No problem. Will stick with regular cart and mule. Had to ask. If the mule and cart are too many extra, then I can always switch to the version that does not get the horse and cart. Just thought it would be helpful to help carry other people's extra stuff.

Of course, that all hinges on whether I get picked or not. 😉

Magic item questions and approval requests:

Questions:

1. For magic armor, do we need to pay the base cost of the item?  For example can I get the common magic item "cast off armor" as a breast plate.. what about fullplate?  I'm assuming there's probably a line somewhere...

2. For magic weapons, same question as above?  For example can I get a moontouched longsword? Do we get the basic equipment for either of the classes?

Items I'm looking at for approval(some may be conditional on the answers to the above)

- Cast-off Armor (breastplate)

- Moonblade (Longsword)

- All-Purpose Tool 

- Rhythm Maker's Drum

- Weapon of Warning

- Dragon's Wrath Weapon

I haven't fully settled on the last option, currently leaning towards the Rhythm makers drum, though a Dragon's Wrath Pistol would be pretty neat.

yeah, it felt kinda cheesy... funny bit is I cannot infuse them if they're magical at all, so it's actually not worth it unless I go with something like half-plate, which honestly feels like cheating so I'm not going to.

Is a clockwork amulet fine?

7bb45d356878006ad54890e2a495c8f6.jpg.0b5523808facc73de1d5a1f19597da72.jpg0cdc087cc57f530ae2611a9773fd892c.jpg.193490bb965eb5691ccb7716e3b17897.jpg

I noticed the discussion above about lack of clockwork things, would this be an acceptable Steel Defender?  Thinking of something more activated with arcane runes than steam or such things.  Also, I'm thinking that top surface is a good spot to strap a chest so it can carry some gear, namely the diplomat's kit and tinker tools.

@The Vermicious Knid

I was looking to incorporate my background with the current King, since he's middle aged, it's possible he may have been on an adventure with him.

I did a quick search online for King Finellen, the only reference was a dwarven female Finellen who led a group of cragwardens to defend an ancient stronghold in High Hold, which might just be a different play on words here lol.

But we don't know anything about our king or community and since you are asking about how we came to acquire out trinkets etc, I was hoping you can provide some NPC profiles to aquatint ourselves with.

1 hour ago, Rumrunner said:

is 100years middle aged for a dwarf?  I thought it was closer to 150, if it's 100 I may have to dial my age back.

Since they live to be about 350 years old, middle age would be closer to 175.

50 minutes ago, Draidden said:

Since they live to be about 350 years old, middle age would be closer to 175.

3E rules, they haven't changed that much.

Table: Aging Effects
Race Middle Age1 Old2 Venerable3 Maximum Age
  1. At middle age, -1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
  2. At old age, -2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
  3. At venerable age, -3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

Dwarf 125 years 188 years 250 years +2d% years