Book 1: Ruins of Gauntlight Prelude: Wrin's Wonders

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wrin's Wonders
Otari
Isle of Kortos
Winter - Fireday (Friday), the 19th day of Abadius (January) 4721 AR

spacer.png

Otari is nestled in a coastal valley between two looming cliffs. To the west, the cliffside rises to meet a well-cared-for graveyard. To the east, a fantastic feat of engineering draws the eye—the trestle supporting a wooden loading chute extends down from the clifftop to a loading platform built into the harbor. This ingenious construction swiftly delivers lumber processed further inland at the mill to waiting ships below.

The people of Otari are friendly and welcoming for the most part, although they tend to react with reticence toward those they suspect hail from Absalom. Trade with Absalom is important, but the townsfolk are proud and feel no need to accommodate visiting “city folk.” People in Otari typically subsist on fish along with vegetables from local farms (primarily potatoes, carrots, and other root vegetables), but more unusual fare isn’t hard to get from Absalom. Coffee is a mainstay and a favorite drink of the hardworking and early-rising residents.

This evening is special though, a celebration throughout the small town is underway. Longnight is a holiday celebrated on the full moon in the winter month of Abadius. During the festival, revelers stay up all night to greet the dawn to defy the long winter months. It is even celebrated in Irrisen, where there are no natural seasons. Despite the strong wind of the evening magical lights have been strung throughout town that no wind can blow out.

spacer.pngIt is on this night that your presence has been requested by your patron who has asked you to meet her at her shop at midnight. Her curio shop bears no sign, but locals know it as Wrin's Wonders; a place to marvel at whatever strange new trinkets and offerings its equally strange owner might have come across. The structure consists of a ring of what appear to be standing stones arranged in a 60-foot-diameter circle surrounding a 15-foot-high dome of wooden beams covered with triangular pieces of canvas. Closer inspection of the standing “stones” reveals that they are also made of wood frames and canvas, cleverly painted to resemble granite. The area between the central dome and the surrounding circle is a collection of other dome-shaped tents used to store the shop’s wares. Tonight, the fabric of these domes is pulled aside so all of you can admire what’s for sale in the light of the full moon, as Wrin’s Wonders is always open.

Your patron Wrin Sivinxi has what she regards as a very good reason for the curio shop’s strange arrangement—she sees safety in curves and menace in angles, and suffers from a touch of claustrophobia. The central dome is her domicile, and she’s painted the interior surfaces to resemble a night sky featuring all the constellations of the Cosmic Caravan, so that even on overcast nights she can fall asleep under the stars.

But no one is sleeping this night..... it is truly a special time.

Wrin’s tiefling ancestry is impossible to miss, and it’s something she long ago decided to embrace. Eyes devoid of pupils, small ram horns curling around her elven ears, a thin tail, and fingertips that sparkle with motes of glittering lights leave no doubt that she is touched by supernatural forces. Yet her quick smile and welcoming attitude have always helped her to secure friendships during her travels.

As you arrive at Wrin's Wonders, the woman is pouring over what looks to be a star scroll, consulting the patterns of the constellations on the scroll with what is in the sky above. She struggles slightly in the strong evening wind to keep the scroll from blowing free of her hands or worse yet, ripping.

Noticing your approach she speaks softly but loudly to be heard over the howling winds "Don't just stand about, give a woman a hand... or two." she says as she continues to battle with the wind "How is one to perform an astrological reading on one of the most important nights of the year if her hands are busy holding a star chart?"

It was clear to see that the star chart that she held showed each of the prevalent thirteen constellations in the night sky that was part of the Varisian Cosmic Caravan which was the basis of study and predictions of astrologers in the Inner Sea region.

Wren's Wonders

This thread will be opened once the game starts.

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Not Currently in Use!!

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

CHARACTER 1

Not Currently in Use!!

CHARACTER 2

Not Currently in Use!!

CHARACTER 3

Not Currently in Use!!

CHARACTER 4

Not Currently in Use!!

CHARACTER 5

Not Currently in Use!!

• 3 weeks later...

Asafu Samnu 'The Unkindled'  (Human (Ifrit) • Pilgrim (Pilgrim's Token) • Champion 1)spacer.png

AC: 17 |  HP: 20/20 |  Perception: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3 | Will: +6  Hero Points:: 1/3 | Conditions: None

Of those who walked this festive evening was one who carried himself with purpose, evident in his confident strides—a head taller than most men and dressed as such that any would know him for an outsider. Asafu Samnu could not help but stand out; in his youth, he had loathed this fact, but he had long since grown comfortable in his own skin. And so his turban was unveiled, leaving his head bare and allowing him to take in the sights around him all the better. The cloud-white tabard and the loose dull gold cloak he wore clearly marking him as a follower of Sarenrae.

spacer.png

Still, even now, shadows of those old insecurities remained, for he hardly advertised his exotic appearance. Asafu Kept his scarf in place, covering his mouth under the guise of keeping the cold at bay, its end bellowing in the wind. It was enough, however, to see his blazing eyes  like twin sets of flaming coals. His commanding gaze all the brighter in the evening gloom. Despite that, his presence turned fewer heads these days, for he had taken residence in Otari for some time. Never mind, he had spent most of that time visiting the Dawnflower Library.

Breathing in deeply, Asafu took note of the freshly cut pine wood scent on the chill night breeze, an unfamiliar yet comforting aroma now. The cool weather, however, remained barely noticeable to the Garundi cloth-wrapped stranger. Not something many of his fellow citizens could boast save himself, thanks to his fiery blood. He adjusted the pack on his back, reassuring himself of its weight. An old habit he'd formed living in Aspenthar and travelling through its poorer districts. He'd been a victim of his fair share of pickpockets while giving alms, not that he could ever bring himself to judge the orphan thieves too harshly. They were merely trying to survive as best they could.

Otari itself seemingly held no such problems; the simple feel of a tightly knit town was worlds different from what Asafu had expected from a large community. An unexpected but welcome surprise, to be sure, as was the vista of the nearly cloudless sky, granting a perfect view of the radiant full moon that dominated the sky. Even a follower of the dawnflower could appreciate a bargaining night sky. He was so entranced he almost did not notice he'd practically walked straight into Wrin's Wonders. 

The faint voice of the emporium's purveyor brought him back to the present. He was already moving to aid the tiefling, his gloved hands quickly catching the edges of the scroll and attempting to keep it in place. He cast about seeking something akin to a paperweight. 

"Please allow me," his voice like an enthusiastic avalanche, just short of a bellow yet as gracious as silk. He turned to the next one who entered. "Might someone find us a paperweight? That would be most excellent, I think."

His inquiry more a suggestion than anything like a command.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action 1: Your action goes here.
Action 2: Your action goes here.
Action 3: Your action goes here.

Edited by GreekFire (see edit history)

Gruuk Jit-Jit (Spellscale Kobold Cosmos Oracle 1 Neutral)spacer.png

AC: 17 |  HP: 15/15  |  Perception: +5 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +5 | Will: +7 Hero Points:: 1/1 | Conditions: None

The small silver-blue kobold wandered in to Wrin's Wonders, yellow eyes alight with avarice.  Though this is not the avarice one might normally associate with kobolds, for Gruuk Jit-Jit cares not for wealth.  Power and knowledge are what drives him, especially knowledge of the cosmos and the stars.

"Ah, yes, Lady Sivinxi.  It is very good that we may finally meet, very good indeed.  My large companion is correct," and here he looked up at Asafu with something like fondness? "Perhaps a paperweight is what we need.  Or, may I humbly assist?  I know something of the stars." A grimace flashed across his face briefly, a glimpse behind the mask of obsequiousness.  He showed a false modesty at best.

He looked up at the star designs on the dome, and a strange calmness seemed to come over him.  A tension in his shoulder relaxed as he gazed upward, a smile playing about the corners of his snout.  He reached a small claw up to them, trying to create a bridge between himself and the rest of the universe.  He paused, lost in his own reverie.

His eyes then go dull, unfocused.  His mouth hung open, slack.  He twitched, his claws spasmodically trying to form arcane gestures.  A groan escaped his throat and Jit-Jit raised his claws in defense.  "Not here. NO!" A cry, ripped from his inner consciousness.  "Hafh ya nnn ya ah nafl ngahnah ya!" And suddenly there is a crystalline shield covering the kobold; a prismatic dodecahedron.

Jit-Jit came to himself, and shamefacedly dropped the shield. "My, uh.  My very deepest apologies, Lady Sivinxi.  It was unseemly of me, but that is no excuse.  When one gazes long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes back.  I... I will endeavor to keep control.

"Hmm.  My offer to assist does still stand, however.  May I?  What are you seeking?"  He tried to change the subject quickly, and fetched a chair to stand on to try and analyze the star charts.  He took one corner to ensure it did not blow away.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Crossbow

Rowan (Human Druid 1, CG)WtZf5X5.png

Rowan - AC: 18 |  HP: 17/17 |  Perception: +7 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Hero Points: 1/1 | Conditions: None
Nara    -  AC: 16 | HP: 11/11 | Perception: +5 (+scent) | Fort: +4 | Ref: +6 | Will: +5 | Conditions: None

It was Rowan's third day back in her hometown of Otari, after her five years of apprenticeship under the dwarven druid Azkelor.

The past two days had been a blur, with a tearful reuinion with her mother Esmeralda, joyful conversations with her friends, and many, many explanations that yes, the panther was safe - as long as you didn't insult her - and even more requests to see a display of druidic magic. Finally, on this Longnight, the folks' attentions had turned to the festivities and Rowan had time to herself.

Dressed in her favorite winter gown - a golden wheat color that went well with her hair - and two layers of warm clothing underneath, Rowan walked the night street filled with hanging lanterns and good-natured Otarians drinking and celebrating. Though she was tempted to take proffered drinks, Rowan's mother Esmeralda had mentioned a message from Wrin asking Rowan to come tonight. Rowan had great fondness and gratitude toward the elven tiefling, for Wrin had been kind enough to offer employment when Rowan was fifteen looking for work, and furthermore, had always treated Rowan as an equal. 

With Nara padding silently behind her, Rowan made her way north through the town, arriving at the thirteen pillars that surrounded Wrin's open-sky store. With her steps growing quicker, Rowan couldn't help but break into a wide smile as she shouted, "Wrin! I'm here! It's been so long!", but then she saw that Wrin had guests already. Rowan slowed down, embarrassed, and gave a small curtsy to the two guests.

"Hello, my name is Rowan, and this here is Nara," she gestured to the panther behind her, dark as night, who in turn yawned, then gave the slightest flick of her head. The two outsider's appearances didn't faze Rowan much; Otari saw many strange guests, and her time with dwarves had taught her that gruff exteriors could hide many different personalities.

Mechanics

spacer.png

Wrin was thankful for the help with the star chart, in truth the woman didn't have much need of it anymore. She knew the constellations and the stars and had looked at them long enough to no longer need such a device, but for others such a chart was extremely important to help them understand what exactly they were looking at.

Turning to Rowan she spoke "Yes dear, be so kind and grab that gold monocle frame there, the one missing the lens. Then that 1-inch cube with each side painted a different color. Those should do nicely for weighting down the star chart."

She then focused on Gruuk who was looking at the star chart she was trying to secure, and while talking to the kobold she was directing her words to all within earshot. 

"What are stars?" she mused outloud, her own question caused a small chuckle and a smile to cross the woman's face.

"It all depends. They could be balls of fire like our own Burning MotherSun, just really far away. Did you know that in most scholarly works, the sun is sometimes represented by a rune; a circle with a dot at its center."

"Some believe that although intensely inhospitable, that some creatures actually manage to live on the sun, even in the extreme heat." she said as she cleared her throat and lowered her voice "Sorry, I am rambling on again. So some of the stars could be suns, but others are planets like our own, capable of supporting their own life."

Once the chart is secure and in place the tiefling woman walked over to secure herself a cup of coffee from a side table, nodding her thanks to the others that have helped her before turning her eyes to the sky once more.

"I believe we are still missing a couple guest. Has anyone seen a goblin and a strange gray lady with yellow eyes?" she asked.

Wren's Wonders
12:06 am

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PERCEPTION DC'S

Rowan 17 | Gruuk 15 | Nara 15(scent) | Asafu 14

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

ASAFU SAMNU 'THE UNKINDLED"

Hit Points: 20/20
Hero Points: 1/1

GRUUK JIT-JIT

Hit Points: 15/15

ROWAN & NARA

Hit Points: 17/17
Focus Points: 1/1

Nara (panther)
Hit Points: 11/11

CHARACTER 4

Not Currently in Use!!

CHARACTER 5

Not Currently in Use!!

Gora Gritgobbler - Goblin Thiefc5a84627ebf8989e4619768514ddfbc4.jpg

AC: 18 |  HP: 20/20 |Class DC: 17 |  Perception: +6 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6  Hero Points: 1/3 | Conditions: None

At the mention of missing guests, a small silhouette seemed to detach itself from the deeper shadows and move quietly towards the group. Coming closer to the light, the shadowy figure was gradually revealed...first a pair of yellowish eyes that darted around as if looking for danger, then large pointed ears, a bushy beard and eyebrows and a broad nose that looked to have been broken more than once! It was only as the figure finally came fully into view that it became obvious from his green skin that this was the goblin that Wrin had spoken of.

Strolling across the room, the newcomer's expression gave nothing away as he stared at each of the guests in turn, though a long prehensile tail swished and twitched quizzically as he looked them up and down. Giving a small respectful nod to each of the visitors to the emporium, the newcomer then turned his gaze upon the owner of this delightful shop. Meeting her eyes, he finally broke into a broad grin, revealing a full set of gleaming, goblin nashers.

"Wow! Eyes weirder than me own!" he cackled, head tipping from side to side as he took in their hosts appearance. "And I LOVE the horns!" he added, before stopping dead and raising a hand to his mouth. "I'm soooo sorry...where's me manners?" he exclaimed, remorse written all over his face. "I'm behavin' like a bleedin' cave goblin! My apologies lady Wrin...I am Gora! I was sent by Gord Gritgobbler, an old aquaintance of yours I believe? He's my....my...well, it's a long story!!"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rapier

Character Sheet

Gora Gritgobbler - Goblin (Unbreakable) Rogue (Thief)

Str 10 (+0) Dex 18 (+4) Con 14 (+2) Int 12 (+1) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 12 (+1)
HP 20/20 HD 1d8 AC 18 (leather) Speed 25 ft.

Initiative +0

Resistances: 
Vision: Darkvision
Languages Common, Goblin, Dwarvish
Background Ruin Delver

Rapier +7 • Damage 1d6+4 P (deadly d8, disarm, finesse)

Dagger +7 • Damage 1d4+4 P (agile, finesse, thrown 10ft, versatile S)

Light mace +7 • Damage 1d4+4 B (agile, finesse, shove)

Proficiency +3

Saving Throws Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +9 | Will: +6
Tools Thieves' tools, Healers tools
Weapons All simple weapons, unarmed, rapier, sap, shortsword, shortbow
Armor Light armor, unarmored

Skills:

• Acrobatics +7 (T)
  • Arcana +4 (T)
  • Athletics +3 (T)
  • Crafting +1 (U) 
  • Deception +4 (T)
  • Diplomacy +4 (T)
  • Intimidation +4 (T)
  • Lore: Cavern +4 (T)
  • Lore: Roseguard +4 (T)
  • Medicine +4 (T)
  • Nature +1 (U) 
  • Occultism +4 (T)
  • Performance +1 (U) 
  • Religion +1 (U) 
  • Society +1 (U) 
  • Stealth +7 (T)
  • Survival +4 (T)
  • Thievery +7 (T)

Cat Fall

Prerequisites: trained in Acrobatics 

Your catlike aerial acrobatics allow you to cushion your falls. Treat falls as 10 feet shorter. If you’re an expert in Acrobatics, treat falls as 25 feet shorter. If you’re a master in Acrobatics, treat them as 50 feet shorter. If you’re legendary in Acrobatics, you always land on your feet and don’t take damage, regardless of the distance of the fall.

Battle Medicine 

Prerequisites: trained in Medicine. 

Requirements: Holding healer's tools, or wearing them and have a hand free

You can patch up wounds, even in combat. Attempt a Medicine check with the same DC as for Treat Wounds and restore the corresponding amount of HP; this doesn't remove the wounded condition. As with Treat Wounds, you can attempt checks against higher DCs if you have the minimum proficiency rank. The target is then temporarily immune to your Battle Medicine for 1 day.

Darkvision.

You can see in darkness and dim light just as well as you can see in bright light, though your vision in darkness is in black and white.

Unbreakable Goblin.

You’re able to bounce back from injuries easily due to an exceptionally thick skull, cartilaginous bones, or some other mixed blessing. You gain 10 Hit Points from your ancestry instead of 6. When you fall, reduce the falling damage you take as though you had fallen half the distance.

Bouncy Goblin.

You have a particular elasticity that makes it easy for you to bounce and squish. You gain the trained proficiency rank in Acrobatics (or another skill of your choice, if you were already trained in Acrobatics). You also gain a +2 circumstance bonus to Acrobatics checks to Tumble Through a foe’s space.

Sneak Attack.

When your enemy can't properly defend itself, you take advantage to deal extra damage. If you Strike a creature that has the flat-footed condition with an agile or finesse melee weapon, an agile or finesse unarmed attack, a ranged weapon attack, or a ranged unarmed attack, you deal an extra 1d6 precision damage. For a ranged attack with a thrown melee weapon, that weapon must also be agile or finesse.
As your rogue level increases, so does the number of damage dice for your sneak attack. Increase the number of dice by one at 5th, 11th, and 17th levels.

Surprise Attack.

You spring into combat faster than foes can react. On the first round of combat, if you roll Deception or Stealth for initiative, creatures that haven’t acted are flat-footed to you.

Thief Racket.

When a fight breaks out, you prefer swift, lightweight weapons, and you strike where it hurts. When you attack with a finesse melee weapon, you can add your Dexterity modifier to damage rolls instead of your Strength modifier.

Nimble Dodge.

Trigger: A creature targets you with an attack and you can see the attacker. Requirements: You are not encumbered.

You deftly dodge out of the way, gaining a +2 circumstance bonus to AC against the triggering attack.

Equipment

General Inventory 
Adventurer's Pack 

2 belt pouches

Healer's Tools 
Thieves' Tools 

Arms and Armor
Leather

Rapier

2 x Dagger

Light Mace

Coin Purse
Platinum: 0
Gold: 
Electrum: 0
Silver: 2
Copper: 0

Encumbrance

Max Load: 10

Encumbered 5

Current Weight: 4.4

Asafu Samnu 'The Unkindled'  (Human (Ifrit) • Pilgrim (Pilgrim's Token) • Champion 1)spacer.png

AC: 17 |  HP: 20/20 |  Perception: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3 | Will: +6  Hero Points:: 1/3 | Conditions: None

As Asafu did his part in securing the star chart, he took note of Gruuk's entrance smiling slightly as the kobold made himself known. He had not known Gruuk for long, but even after their first meeting, before they had even begun working together, he had taken a liking to the strange fellow. Perhaps it was the kobold's noble cause or even Jit-Jit's draconic lineage which reminded Asafu of his adopted mother that allowed for such quick familiarity. His countenance, at one moment delighted, quickly fell to one of concern at Gruuk's sudden episode. Though Asafu had become accustomed to Jit-Jit's visions, he always felt compelled to help where he could not.

spacer.png

But there was little he could do about Gruuk's powers and their side effects, any more than one could douse Asafu's fire. Both cosmic visions and inner flame were a part of them and caused neither physical harm despite appearances.

So with a shrug and smile, Asafu commented, "no need to apologize, friend, but I see you, too, were called then? I sus-"

The Garundi stopped short when he caught the gleam of yellow cat eyes from the dark. His hand instinctively reached for his scimitar before something made him stop short. Emerging into Wrin's bazaar beside the night-clad beast came a young woman who strode alongside the beast as fearlessly as any might a loyal war hound. 

'Ah, of course, I remember overhearing someone speak of the woman and... her panther had they called it?'

He was glad he had stopped short when the young woman introduced herself and her furry companion. He was dumbstruck for a moment until he reminded himself not to stare. After all, most found his gaze unsettling, never mind how rude it was to stare. No matter how strange a sight she made walking alongside a typically wild animal or how stunning she was. He frowned slightly at that last thought, turning his burning gaze toward their tiefling host and her musings. 

He summarized, thinking on it now, she was an odd sight, perhaps. He had not met a tiefling before, though he had run into his fair share of the abnormal. But when one was raised by a literal dragon and constantly walked aflame with a silver-scaled kobold companion who saw stars that showed him visions. That all before he had even set foot into Absalom!

Well, what one man found odd was not always universally so to another. However, he did find the mention of beings living on the sun intriguing, even if the thought was a little amusing. He'd always seen the great flame in the sky as an extension of Sarenrae herself. The two were nearly synonymous in his mind. Would the dawnflower hold court on the sun itself? Perhaps within it. He was on the verge of posing a question to Wrin when another joined the growing group.

Only Wrins mentioned expecting a goblin that stilled any panic in the young errant knight. Yet, another came wondering from the outskirts, this one so well hidden Asafu had not noticed him until he had begun speaking but a few spans away. He sighed and, with a smile, remarked, "dawn's mercy, will everyone be springing from the shadows today?"

However, it was evident from his tone and smile that his statement was no admonishment but one more amusement, "well-met Gora and Rowan! Oh, and Nara as well." He nodded to each, in turn, the panther included.

"I am Asafu of Aspenthar, an adherent of the Lady of Sunlight."

He paused long enough for Jit-Jit too to introduce himself if he pleased. Then added, "Also, a guest of our good host mistress Wrin. I understand there is yet one more to come, though I have as yet been unable to divine the reason for this invitation."

Turning to the tiefling woman, he inquired, "might that purpose be illuminated upon? Or shall we wait for our final quest, ah but my curiosity aside, that would be the polite thing, wouldn't it?"

"Forgive me; sometimes I can be rather impatient, a terrible habit of mine." He remarked, shaking his head as if to scold himself. 

Mechanics

Action 1: Your Action goes here.

Edited by GreekFire (see edit history)

Yllaveth (Fetchling Witch 1, NG)WtZf5X5.png

AC: 15 |  HP: 16/16 |  Perception: +4 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +5 | Will: +6 Hero Points:: 1/1 | Conditions: None

A final figure hurries toward the center dome of the ring to join the group. Her clothes are travel-stained but unremarkable otherwise, a shirt of unbleached linen, a sturdy jerkin, pants and tall boots, much like a shepherd or woodsman. She's largely though not entirely human in appearance. As she enters the light of the dome (or earlier, for those who need no light to see), you can see that her skin is the color of dark slate. Her long, braided hair is black, with beads of moonstone interspersed in carefully arranged clusters. The most remarkable thing about her is her eyes, which are a uniform silver that gleams or twinkles in the evening dark. 

My lady, my apologies for my lateness. The stars tell me that I'm almost too late. I'm Yllaveth Sofina, of Ebenvale.

She takes a moment to bow politely to every member of the group. As soon as she's finished, a fluttering black shape lands upon her shoulder. Once it stops moving, you can see it's a large black moth, its back speckled unevenly with white. Yllaveth glances down at the moth and smiles, then turns back to Wrin. 

Thank you for your invitation. I've long enjoyed our correspondence, but I was very pleased at the idea of meeting you in person. I'm sure it will be well worth the journey down from the Five Kings. 

She takes a long look upward at the sky. 

Ah, my lady, I owe you a second apology. You've written many times of the sky watching here in Otari. I confess that while I was humbled by your gifts as a scholar, I thought that there could be nothing here I couldn't see better from my mountaintop. But I was wrong. The stars here aren't quite so close or clear, but you are correct. There is something about the position here, on the island, that gives them an alignment I've never seen before. 

Mechanics

Action 1: N/A

spacer.png

"The stars here aren't quite so close or clear, but you are correct. There is something about the position here, on the island, that gives them an alignment I've never seen before." Yllaveth said.

Wrin winked slyly at the woman "Just wait until you see my next trick my dear Yllaveth."

Turning to all who have assembled "It is not The Lantern Bearer we are after tonight. As beautiful as the Lantern Bearer is. Tonight it is 'The Pack' that we will be taking a closer look at. All of you will probably be looking at it like only a few have before." and as she said that she licked her lips slightly and opened the case. Inside stood a long round tube that almost resembled an oversized spyglass, with another device that probably would be used as a stand once the metal bars of it was folded out. That was the piece that Wrin took out first and began to put together. When she was done she had Yllaveth help her lift the 'telescope' into position on it.

Turning attention back to everyone she tapped a nearby object against the mug that held her coffee "This device has set me back a small fortune. It is called a telescope, and it is designed so that one can get a better look at the heavens through light that is refracted down its length with the use of gemstones as lenses that focus and magnify that light."

Wrin then looked through the eyepiece adjusting the telescope to be at the right point of the sky. "Tonight we look at the constellation know as the Pack. The beasts of the Pack follow the - Wagon - and are seen as either loyal hounds or scavenging wolves. Many astronomers believe different. Is the Pack pulling the Wagon like loyal hounds, which pulls the rest of the signs across the sky and make them one of the most important signs in the sky or are they attacking the Wagon as scavenging wolves which would make them the most deadly sign. That is the age old question, or belief."

She then invited everyone in turn to take a look through the eyepiece and as they did so she continued.... "Recently, thanks to this device, I have spotted an anomaly in the constellation. A light that should not be there. When you are looking through the eyepiece look for the eerie blue star that has what looks like a short streak behind it. This is a comet, an icy visitor to our realm and I fear, it is a bad omen that I am extremely worried about. Especially with it seeming to be running with the Pack toward the Wagon. Which would make the theory of scavenging wolves even more pronounced in this reading of the stars."

"I would welcome any other thoughts on the subject from any of my esteemed guest after you have had the chance to have a look?" she asked as she walked back over to Yllaveth and whispered, "I warned you." and then turned and waited for any replies.
image.png.44c868be40dbb02f67d41c19a2a6f5c2.png

Wren's Wonders
12:30 am

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PERCEPTION DC'S

Rowan 17 | Gora 16 | Gruuk 15 | Nara 15(scent) | Asafu 14 | Yllaveth 14

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

GORA GRITGOBBLER

GRUUK JIT-JIT

ROWAN & NARA

Nara (panther)

YLLAVETH

Hit Points: 16/16

Gruuk Jit-Jit (Spellscale Kobold Cosmos Oracle 1 Neutral)spacer.png

AC: 17 |  HP: 15/15  |  Perception: +5 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +5 | Will: +7 Hero Points:: 1/1 | Conditions: None

Jit-Jit nodded at some of the discussion he heard in the shop, but it was difficult to follow with his head pounding in the aftermath of his little episode.  "Aye, it could indeed be that there are vasty deeps between small points of burning torches, inhospitable to our way of life at its very core.

"I've seen things that I will never forget, while I've looked at the stars.  I've had my eyes opened to what lives between them and among them."  He eyed the telescope that Wrin proffered, then took it.  "I have indeed seen the like of this before, and it rarely leaves one untouched."

He grinned then, with a slightly wild look in is eyes.  His crystals started giving off a faint glow.  "I wonder what I'll see this time."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Crossbow

Gora Gritgobbler - Goblin Thiefc5a84627ebf8989e4619768514ddfbc4.jpg

AC: 18 |  HP: 20/20 |Class DC: 17 |  Perception: +6 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6  Hero Points: 1/3 | Conditions: None

As Wrin described what she had seen through this "telescope" Gora listened intently, but kept one eye on the wondrous device as it was handed to the little silvery-blue kobold. Worth a fortune eh?! he thought, his goblin greed cutting through his dwarven manners until he remembered what he'd been taught...you simply do NOT steal from your own friends and companions!

He knew very little about the stars, but he enjoyed Wrin's story, even if it did have dogs in it! However, the idea that even the most learned sages disagreed about whether the Pack were loyal hounds or dangerous wolves made him laugh out loud.

"I have little knowledge of these constellations as you call them" he chuckled, "but all goblins know that even the most loyal pack of hounds can turn into a snarling, baying mob when joined by a dangerous newcomer...so perhaps both points of view are true!"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rapier

Character Sheet

Gora Gritgobbler - Goblin (Unbreakable) Rogue (Thief)

Str 10 (+0) Dex 18 (+4) Con 14 (+2) Int 12 (+1) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 12 (+1)
HP 20/20 HD 1d8 AC 18 (leather) Speed 25 ft.

Initiative +0

Resistances: 
Vision: Darkvision
Languages Common, Goblin, Dwarvish
Background Ruin Delver

Rapier +7 • Damage 1d6+4 P (deadly d8, disarm, finesse)

Dagger +7 • Damage 1d4+4 P (agile, finesse, thrown 10ft, versatile S)

Light mace +7 • Damage 1d4+4 B (agile, finesse, shove)

Proficiency +3

Saving Throws Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +9 | Will: +6
Tools Thieves' tools, Healers tools
Weapons All simple weapons, unarmed, rapier, sap, shortsword, shortbow
Armor Light armor, unarmored

Skills:

• Acrobatics +7 (T)
  • Arcana +4 (T)
  • Athletics +3 (T)
  • Crafting +1 (U) 
  • Deception +4 (T)
  • Diplomacy +4 (T)
  • Intimidation +4 (T)
  • Lore: Cavern +4 (T)
  • Lore: Roseguard +4 (T)
  • Medicine +4 (T)
  • Nature +1 (U) 
  • Occultism +4 (T)
  • Performance +1 (U) 
  • Religion +1 (U) 
  • Society +1 (U) 
  • Stealth +7 (T)
  • Survival +4 (T)
  • Thievery +7 (T)

Cat Fall

Prerequisites: trained in Acrobatics 

Your catlike aerial acrobatics allow you to cushion your falls. Treat falls as 10 feet shorter. If you’re an expert in Acrobatics, treat falls as 25 feet shorter. If you’re a master in Acrobatics, treat them as 50 feet shorter. If you’re legendary in Acrobatics, you always land on your feet and don’t take damage, regardless of the distance of the fall.

Battle Medicine 

Prerequisites: trained in Medicine. 

Requirements: Holding healer's tools, or wearing them and have a hand free

You can patch up wounds, even in combat. Attempt a Medicine check with the same DC as for Treat Wounds and restore the corresponding amount of HP; this doesn't remove the wounded condition. As with Treat Wounds, you can attempt checks against higher DCs if you have the minimum proficiency rank. The target is then temporarily immune to your Battle Medicine for 1 day.

Darkvision.

You can see in darkness and dim light just as well as you can see in bright light, though your vision in darkness is in black and white.

Unbreakable Goblin.

You’re able to bounce back from injuries easily due to an exceptionally thick skull, cartilaginous bones, or some other mixed blessing. You gain 10 Hit Points from your ancestry instead of 6. When you fall, reduce the falling damage you take as though you had fallen half the distance.

Bouncy Goblin.

You have a particular elasticity that makes it easy for you to bounce and squish. You gain the trained proficiency rank in Acrobatics (or another skill of your choice, if you were already trained in Acrobatics). You also gain a +2 circumstance bonus to Acrobatics checks to Tumble Through a foe’s space.

Sneak Attack.

When your enemy can't properly defend itself, you take advantage to deal extra damage. If you Strike a creature that has the flat-footed condition with an agile or finesse melee weapon, an agile or finesse unarmed attack, a ranged weapon attack, or a ranged unarmed attack, you deal an extra 1d6 precision damage. For a ranged attack with a thrown melee weapon, that weapon must also be agile or finesse.
As your rogue level increases, so does the number of damage dice for your sneak attack. Increase the number of dice by one at 5th, 11th, and 17th levels.

Surprise Attack.

You spring into combat faster than foes can react. On the first round of combat, if you roll Deception or Stealth for initiative, creatures that haven’t acted are flat-footed to you.

Thief Racket.

When a fight breaks out, you prefer swift, lightweight weapons, and you strike where it hurts. When you attack with a finesse melee weapon, you can add your Dexterity modifier to damage rolls instead of your Strength modifier.

Nimble Dodge.

Trigger: A creature targets you with an attack and you can see the attacker. Requirements: You are not encumbered.

You deftly dodge out of the way, gaining a +2 circumstance bonus to AC against the triggering attack.

Equipment

General Inventory 
Adventurer's Pack 

2 belt pouches

Healer's Tools 
Thieves' Tools 

Arms and Armor
Leather

Rapier

2 x Dagger

Light Mace

Coin Purse
Platinum: 0
Gold: 
Electrum: 0
Silver: 2
Copper: 0

Encumbrance

Max Load: 10

Encumbered 5

Current Weight: 4.4

AC: 15 |  HP: 16/16 |  Perception: +4 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +5 | Will: +6 Hero Points:: 1/1 | Conditions: None

Yllaveth looks hungrily at the telescope. Jit-Jit may have seen one before, but she's only heard of such things. She nods along as Wrin mentions the Pack. As Wrin describes the controversy over the interpretation of the Pack, Yllaveth lets a soft "hmph" slip out. She definitely seems to be on one side of the debate, though she doesn't say which one. When Wrin describes the comet, though, she looks deeply concerned. 

Jit-Jit, as soon as you're finished, might I have a look? I would like to see exactly what Wrin is describing, as best as I can.  

Mechanics

Action 1: While waiting her turn for the telescope, she'll rack her brain to Recall Knowledge on comets and what the one Wrin describes might mean. She'll use whichever Lore seems most appropriate, preferably Occult, Arcana or Astrology. The roll below assumes she's using one of those. If it's Nature or Religion, subtract 2. 

Name
roll
1d20+7 20

spacer.png

Wrin then turned her attention to the others as each offered their opinions on what they have seen. Then turning back to the group as she moves over to make sure Yllaveth gets her turn to look in the telescope "I am sure most of you have heard the popular nursery rhyme that parents around these parts sing to their children at night to encourage good behavior. Let's see, Gora, how does it go?"

When the fog is creeping,
And the moon is low;
When the town is sleeping,
Gauntlight starts to glow!

That’s when she arises
For her midnight lunch.
Naughty kids are prizes
For her teeth to crunch.

But if you obey me,
And obey the rules;
You’re safe from Belcorra;
She just eats the fools
!

Wrin knew that everyone who grew up in Otari had a healthy mix of fear, respect, and curiosity for the old ruins out in Fogfen and the strange lighthouse that stands at the swamp’s heart that was known as the Gauntlight. And as they grow older, townsfolk learn what’s more often accepted as truth: that the heroic founders of Otari had slain the wicked sorcerer Belcorra many years ago.

"For a time, thrill-seekers explored the ruins around the lighthouse called Gauntlight, but today, common knowledge holds that the place has become a haven for pests—no longer a source of active danger or significant treasure after being completely picked over. Nearly 500 years has passed since Belcorra’s defeat after all, and in that time, she has only posed a menace to Otari through sinister rhymes." Wrin continued.

The question now on everyone's mind was why Wrin had suddenly shifted from talk of the stars to the old lighthouse in the Fogfen.

"Or so the citizens of Otari believe."

"While many old legends about Belcorra are true, she did practice cannibalism, for example, but didn’t limit her diet to foolish children," she said with a spookiness in her voice.

She then walks over to a hanging rope and pulled it causing one of the side panels of the canvas that made up the tent of her shop to open slightly. She then moved the telescope close to it, repositioned it to look straight out instead of up into the sky, and asked everyone to take a look again.

Show: Looking through the telescope 

spacer.png

"You see.... the same blue glow of the icy comet, now coming from the top of the Gauntlight." she added.

Wren's Wonders
12:35 am

Show Active Maps

Not Currently in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PERCEPTION DC'S

Rowan 17 | Gora 16 | Gruuk 15 | Nara 15(scent) | Asafu 14 | Yllaveth 14

INITIATIVE

Not Currently in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use!!

GORA GRITGOBBLER

GRUUK JIT-JIT

ROWAN & NARA

Nara (panther)

YLLAVETH

Hit Points: 16/16

Rowan (Human Druid 1, CG)WtZf5X5.png

Rowan - AC: 18 |  HP: 17/17 |  Perception: +7 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Hero Points: 1/1 | Conditions: None
Nara    -  AC: 16 | HP: 11/11 | Perception: +5 (+scent) | Fort: +4 | Ref: +6 | Will: +5 | Conditions: None

While Rowan had grown up in Otrai, her mother was not, and by the time Rowan had heard of the nursery rhymes of Belcorra, Rowan had been far too old to really be scared of it. At least, until now. 

If someone else had spoken of Belcorra in an ominous tone, Rowan might have laughed. But Wrin, Wrin had always been unflappable. There, standing amongst Wrin's standing circle, Rowan felt a chill run down her spine that was not at all related to the cold winds of the wintry night. Or so the citizens of Otari believe?

"Has there been anyone missing?" Rowan asked in a concerned voice, hurrying over to look through the viewing tube. "The tower is lit.. But there shouldn't be anyone there. Or even anything." Turning, she offered the device to others to look through. 

Mechanics

Which came first, Wrin? The comet or the light in the tower? Have you told anyone else about this?

The obvious thing is just to go to the tower and find out for ourselves what's happening. How far is it from here?

Mechanics