Edit History

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

1 hour ago, Neopopulas said:

I couldn't access the map (the downside of owlbear i'm afraid is the host has to have it open for it to be working), so thanks for that. I think i need to cast the spell and then bring out my shield. I have Ruby of the War Mage that allows me to use the sword as a spell focus but i had to check and if what i'm reading is right it doesn't replace Somantic components, so i would need to have the sword out but not the shield until after i cast.

The question is can you ready a shield as a free or bonus action, if that is the case then that's what i'd be doing.

I mean its what i'll be doing no matter what but yes i'll have to move-cast-move again and draw my shield whenever I can.

As to the Ruby it seems to create some interesting RAW interactions.

Can you your Ruby of the War Mage weapon to perform somantic requirements

The answer is No.. but yes..

The short answer is, basically... If you are using the weapon/focus for material components, then yes you can, if the spell doesn't have material components, then no. (TL;DR: if it has both material and somantic yes if its just somantic no) Its just.. kinda weird. But i can just use an object interaction to switch my shield in and out and by RAW it should be fine. Level 4 is also right around the corner and i intend to get War Caster anyway so even if it doesn't all work out it will soon anyway.

Unfortunately, donning or doffing a shield takes your action (not a bonus action or a free action). So you'll have to fight without the shield if you want to be casting spells (such as Burning Hands, that lack Material Components) in combat. Either that or you'll have to spend a round removing the shield, then a round to cast the spell, and then another round to strap the shield back on--every time you want to cast in combat. 

EDIT: Alternatively, you've got several combat spells in your spell book that do require material components. You could cast one of those instead. Or you could just attack the guy with a weapon attack.

EDIT#2: Below is a screenshot of the map, and the Owlbear FAQ page, in case it helps you figure out why you can't access Owlbear. If none of this helps resolve the Owlbear problem, what VTT or other option would work best for you. 

Owlbear Rodeo FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

General

Can my stream use Owlbear Rodeo?

Sure!

Can I self-host Owlbear Rodeo?

At this time we have no plans to offer a self hosted version of Owlbear Rodeo.

Is Owlbear Rodeo open source?

Owlbear Rodeo is not open source at the moment.

Can I contribute code to Owlbear Rodeo?

At the moment we are not taking code contributions to Owlbear Rodeo.

Games & Maps

I’ve added a map to my game, why can’t my players see it?

This could be because it’s taking a while to upload. Ensure that your players can see a loading bar at the top of the site. Owlbear Rodeo will do its best to load a lower quality map, before continuing to load in higher quality. See 'How big can my maps be?' in our faqs.

If your players do not see a loading bar at the top of their screen ensure that you don't have an extension that is blocking WebRTC connections. Some VPN extensions can cause this.

Why do some of my tokens have a question mark on them?

This means that the token hasn’t loaded in just yet. If they still haven’t loaded in after some time, try giving the page a refresh. You should see load progress on the loading bar at the top of the website.

How big can my maps be?

Owlbear Rodeo has a map size limit of 50MB but keep in mind the larger the map you upload the longer it will take for your players to load. We recommend trying to keep your maps under 10MB in size and under 8000px on the largest edge in resolution. If you accidently upload a map that is too big you can use the quality option in the map's settings to lower the size without needing to re-upload your map.

Where are my maps stored?

Your maps are stored on your local device. This means that clearing your site data will delete your maps, so please only do so if you have no other options.

Why am I being prompted for a password when I didn't set one?

If you're game link is over 24hrs old then this could be why you are being prompted for a password. Creating a new game won't affect any maps you have used or prepared previously. See 'How long does a game I create last?' in our faqs.

How long does a game I create last?

We encourage users to create games every 24hrs. Any maps you have added or made edits to will not be affected and will still be available when you create another game.

I can join my game but the spinner is constantly loading, why?

This could mean that the service is currently down. Please visit us on Twitter or Reddit and let us know.

Unable to find owner for map?

If you see a message labelled "Unable to find owner for map" please ensure that the owner of the map is connected to the game. If they are, they may need to refresh their browser to reconnect.

Audio Sharing

How do I use Audio Sharing?

You can find out how to use Audio Sharing in our how-to docs.

Why isn’t audio sharing working?

If you see "Your browser doesn’t support audio sharing":

• Be sure that you are using Chrome for sharing audio

If you see "No audio found when sharing audio":

• Be sure that you have the Share audio checkbox ticked when clicking the Share button.

Database

Database is disabled.

Owlbear Rodeo uses a local database to store saved data. If you are seeing a database is disabled message this usually means you have data storage disabled. The most common occurrences of this is if you are using Private Browsing modes or in Firefox have the Never Remember History option enabled. The site will still function in these cases however all data will be lost when the page closes or reloads.

Connection

WebRTC not supported.

If you see a WebRTC not supported message ensure you are using a browser that supports WebRTC and also ensure that you don't have an extension that is blocking WebRTC connections. Some VPN extensions can cause this.

Screenshot2023-03-24at9_15_28AM.png.462ffa8972ef0e79442a6483bed0f0ac.png

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

1 hour ago, Neopopulas said:

I couldn't access the map (the downside of owlbear i'm afraid is the host has to have it open for it to be working), so thanks for that. I think i need to cast the spell and then bring out my shield. I have Ruby of the War Mage that allows me to use the sword as a spell focus but i had to check and if what i'm reading is right it doesn't replace Somantic components, so i would need to have the sword out but not the shield until after i cast.

The question is can you ready a shield as a free or bonus action, if that is the case then that's what i'd be doing.

I mean its what i'll be doing no matter what but yes i'll have to move-cast-move again and draw my shield whenever I can.

The short answer is, basically... If you are using the weapon/focus for material components, then yes you can, if the spell doesn't have material components, then no. (TL;DR: if it has both material and somantic yes if its just somantic no) Its just.. kinda weird. But i can just use an object interaction to switch my shield in and out and by RAW it should be fine. Level 4 is also right around the corner and i intend to get War Caster anyway so even if it doesn't all work out it will soon anyway.

Unfortunately, donning or doffing a shield takes your action (not a bonus action or a free action). So you'll have to fight without the shield if you want to be casting spells (such as Burning Hands, that lack Material Components) in combat. Either that or you'll have to spend a round removing the shield, then a round to cast the spell, and then another round to strap the shield back on--every time you want to cast in combat. 

EDIT: Alternatively, you've got several combat spells in your spell book that do require material components. You could cast one of those instead. Or you could just attack the guy with a weapon attack.

EDIT#2: Below is a screenshot of the map, and the Owlbear FAQ page, in case it helps you figure out why you can't access it. If none of this helps, what option would work best for you. 

Owlbear Rodeo FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

General

Can my stream use Owlbear Rodeo?

Sure!

Can I self-host Owlbear Rodeo?

At this time we have no plans to offer a self hosted version of Owlbear Rodeo.

Is Owlbear Rodeo open source?

Owlbear Rodeo is not open source at the moment.

Can I contribute code to Owlbear Rodeo?

At the moment we are not taking code contributions to Owlbear Rodeo.

Games & Maps

I’ve added a map to my game, why can’t my players see it?

This could be because it’s taking a while to upload. Ensure that your players can see a loading bar at the top of the site. Owlbear Rodeo will do its best to load a lower quality map, before continuing to load in higher quality. See 'How big can my maps be?' in our faqs.

If your players do not see a loading bar at the top of their screen ensure that you don't have an extension that is blocking WebRTC connections. Some VPN extensions can cause this.

Why do some of my tokens have a question mark on them?

This means that the token hasn’t loaded in just yet. If they still haven’t loaded in after some time, try giving the page a refresh. You should see load progress on the loading bar at the top of the website.

How big can my maps be?

Owlbear Rodeo has a map size limit of 50MB but keep in mind the larger the map you upload the longer it will take for your players to load. We recommend trying to keep your maps under 10MB in size and under 8000px on the largest edge in resolution. If you accidently upload a map that is too big you can use the quality option in the map's settings to lower the size without needing to re-upload your map.

Where are my maps stored?

Your maps are stored on your local device. This means that clearing your site data will delete your maps, so please only do so if you have no other options.

Why am I being prompted for a password when I didn't set one?

If you're game link is over 24hrs old then this could be why you are being prompted for a password. Creating a new game won't affect any maps you have used or prepared previously. See 'How long does a game I create last?' in our faqs.

How long does a game I create last?

We encourage users to create games every 24hrs. Any maps you have added or made edits to will not be affected and will still be available when you create another game.

I can join my game but the spinner is constantly loading, why?

This could mean that the service is currently down. Please visit us on Twitter or Reddit and let us know.

Unable to find owner for map?

If you see a message labelled "Unable to find owner for map" please ensure that the owner of the map is connected to the game. If they are, they may need to refresh their browser to reconnect.

Audio Sharing

How do I use Audio Sharing?

You can find out how to use Audio Sharing in our how-to docs.

Why isn’t audio sharing working?

If you see "Your browser doesn’t support audio sharing":

• Be sure that you are using Chrome for sharing audio

If you see "No audio found when sharing audio":

• Be sure that you have the Share audio checkbox ticked when clicking the Share button.

Database

Database is disabled.

Owlbear Rodeo uses a local database to store saved data. If you are seeing a database is disabled message this usually means you have data storage disabled. The most common occurrences of this is if you are using Private Browsing modes or in Firefox have the Never Remember History option enabled. The site will still function in these cases however all data will be lost when the page closes or reloads.

Connection

WebRTC not supported.

If you see a WebRTC not supported message ensure you are using a browser that supports WebRTC and also ensure that you don't have an extension that is blocking WebRTC connections. Some VPN extensions can cause this.

Screenshot2023-03-24at9_15_28AM.png.462ffa8972ef0e79442a6483bed0f0ac.png

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

49 minutes ago, Neopopulas said:

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

41 minutes ago, Neopopulas said: