Edit History

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

I think I'm going to wait for later in the game to craft the dagger as an Uncommon item. 

Also, I made a name change to Augur, using your method, giving him an easter-egg roman surname with a letter missing. 😜

Also, regarding Augur's age, I'd like to leave his age "open" for the time being. If I somehow make it into the game (even though you have a zillion amazing applicants), we can take a quick tally to see if any of the other players have strong feelings about Augur's age. If their are concerns, or if the particular selection of PCs warrants a change, or if you (or I) gain additional perspective that points to the need for a change, I'll make Augur 18 years old. 

On to a new topic: Magic Item construction. This is long, but here goes. Here's a bunch of notes awaiting your comment. 

Items Crafted with the Herbalist Kit

According to XGE, Potions of Healing are exceptions to the rules of "Crafting Magic Items." You just need to be proficient with the Herbalism Kit and have materials equal to half the cost of the potion.

• Antitoxin: a popular item in areas where venomous snakes are common
  • Potion of Healing: perhaps Augur's biggest money maker

Augur will almost certainly have a healing potion (or two) of his own making. 

Magic Items Crafted with the Arcana Skill 

According to XGE, to craft a magic item, you need to first learn the magical formula for constructing it. No guidelines are provided as to how a would-be crafter might acquire such a formula. I'm assuming Augur learned several such formula's from the Master because (according to XGE) two crafters can work on the same crafting project, halving the time of construction. Below is an explanation of the Master's philosophy on items worth crafting, as well as a list of specific items Augur learned how to make. 

According to XGE, the formula or recipe for crafting an item always involves an exotic ingredient that can only be obtained by facing a creature of a particular CR Range in the course of an adventure. XGE notes that "facing a creature does not necessarily mean that the characters must collect items from its corpse. Rather, the creature might guard a location or a resource that the characters need access to." The creature CR Range that must be faced to obtain the exotic material for a Common magic item is CR 1-3.    

The Master's Philosophy on Item Construction: The Master had one important rule when it came to crafting magic items: he did not create items that would put others out of work, i.e. clothes of mending or a Cloak of Many Fashions mean less repair work for tailors, Heward's Handy Spice Pouch could put the local spice merchant out of business...

Items Augur Learned to Craft in the Pursuit of his Trade as a Hedge Wizard's Apprentice: The Master knew how to create many common magic items. The following is a list of those magic item formulas Augur learned, helping the Master to obtain their respective exotic ingredients, and then crafting the items. 

• Chest of Preserving (XGE): a magic fridge!; to the right buyer (a tavern owner, innkeep, butcher, baker...) this is a must have item. 
  • Ear Horn of Hearing (XGE): a popular item with the hard-of-hearing gaffers of the village
  • Ersatz Eye (XGT): basically, an artificial eye. Not a common request, but those who need one are willing to pay the full price.
  • Perfume of Bewitching: not quite a love potion, but nevertheless a popular request. 
  • Prosthetic Limb (TCE): Again, not a common request, but those who need one are willing to pay full price without haggling.

Magic Items Augur Learned How to Craft in the Course of His Adventures. Naturally, Augur would have wanted to craft items for his personal use (as an adventurer/traveler). The requirement to first learn or obtain the formula for construction of items, and then obtain the necessary exotic ingredient would be best handled within game play. But we're starting at 3rd level, so I'd like for Augur to already know the formula for crafting at least a few items he'd have made for himself. I'd like to propose that Augur learned the formula, obtained the exotic ingredient (most likely via stealth and trickery), and successfully crafted one magic item for each level-up: so in the course of adventure from Level 1 to Level 2, he learned and crafted one item, and in the course of adventure from Level 2 to Level 3, he crafted a second item. The items are as follows. 

1. Ruby of the War Mage (XGE p138), Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster) 

Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter ruby allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells. For this property to work, you must attach the ruby to the weapon by pressing the ruby against it for at least 10 minutes. Thereafter, the ruby can't be removed unless you detach it as an action or the weapon is destroyed. Not even an antimagic field causes it to fall off. The ruby does fall off the weapon if your attunement to the ruby ends.

2. Masque Charm (SCC p127), Wondrous item, common 

A masque charm is a small silver pin. While wearing this charm, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell (DC 13 to discern the disguise). Once the spell is cast, it can't be cast from the charm again until the next sunset. When casting the spell, you can have the spell last for its normal 1 hour duration or for 6 hours. If you choose the 6-hour duration, the charm becomes nonmagical when the spell ends. In either case, the spell ends if the charm is removed from you.

The cost of constructing these two items will come from Augur's starting 200 sp.

So, my questions are:

1. Are you OK with the idea that Augur learned the formulas for several common magic items in the course of his apprenticeship as a Hedge Wizard? And if so, Are you OK with the five magic items I listed (items he knows how to make, but has not made any of them for himself at game start)?

2. Are you OK with the "one formula and exotic ingredient per level-up" convention I proposed for determining how many personal magic items Augur could research, obtain ingredients for, and craft prior to the start of the game? If so, are you OK with the two items I listed? 

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

I think I'm going to wait for later in the game to craft the dagger as an Uncommon item. 

Also, I made a name change to Augur, using your method, giving him an easter-egg roman surname with a letter missing. 😜

Also, regarding Augur's age, I'd like to leave his age "open" for the time being. If I somehow make it into the game (even though you have a zillion amazing applicants), we can take a quick tally to see if any of the other players have strong feelings about Augur's age. If their are concerns, or if the particular selection of PCs warrants a change, or if you (or I) gain additional perspective that points to the need for a change, I'll make Augur 18 years old. 

On to a new topic: Magic Item construction. This is long, but here goes. Here's a bunch of notes awaiting your comment. 

According to XGE, Potions of Healing are exceptions to the rules of "Crafting Magic Items." You just need to be proficient with the Herbalism Kit and have materials equal to half the cost of the potion.

Augur will almost certainly have an antivenom potion and a couple of healing potions of his own making. 

According to XGE, to craft a magic item, you need to first learn the magical formula for constructing it. No guidelines are provided as to how a would-be crafter might acquire such a formula. I'm assuming Augur learned several such formula's from the Master because (according to XGE) two crafters can work on the same crafting project, halving the time of construction. Below is an explanation of the Master's philosophy on items worth crafting, as well as a list of specific items Augur learned how to make. 

According to XGE, the formula or recipe for crafting an item always involves an exotic ingredient that can only be obtained by facing a creature of a particular CR Range in the course of an adventure. XGE notes that "facing a creature does not necessarily mean that the characters must collect items from its corpse. Rather, the creature might guard a location or a resource that the characters need access to." The creature CR Range that must be faced to obtain the exotic material for a Common magic item is CR 1-3.    

The Master's Philosophy on Item Construction: The Master had one important rule when it came to crafting magic items: he did not create items that would put others out of work, i.e. clothes of mending or a Cloak of Many Fashions mean less repair work for tailors, Heward's Handy Spice Pouch could put the local spice merchant out of business...

Items Augur Learned to Craft in the Pursuit of his Trade as a Hedge Wizard's Apprentice: The Master knew how to create many common magic items. The following is a list of those magic item formulas Augur learned, helping the Master to obtain their respective exotic ingredients, and then crafting the items. 

• Chest of Preserving (XGE): a magic fridge!; to the right buyer (a tavern owner, innkeep, butcher, baker...) this is a must have item. 
  • Ear Horn of Hearing (XGE): a popular item with the hard-of-hearing gaffers of the village
  • Ersatz Eye (XGT): basically, an artificial eye. Not a common request, but those who need one are willing to pay the full price.
  • Perfume of Bewitching: not quite a love potion, but nevertheless a popular request. 
  • Prosthetic Limb (TCE): Again, not a common request, but those who need one are willing to pay full price without haggling.

Magic Items Augur Learned How to Craft in the Course of His Adventures. Naturally, Augur would have wanted to craft items for his personal use (as an adventurer/traveler). The requirement to first learn or obtain the formula for construction of items, and then obtain the necessary exotic ingredient would be best handled within game play. But we're starting at 3rd level, so I'd like for Augur to already know the formula for crafting at least a few items he'd have made for himself. I'd like to propose that Augur learned the formula, obtained the exotic ingredient (most likely via stealth and trickery), and successfully crafted one magic item for each level-up: so in the course of adventure from Level 1 to Level 2, he learned and crafted one item, and in the course of adventure from Level 2 to Level 3, he crafted a second item. The items are as follows. 

1. Ruby of the War Mage (XGE p138), Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster) 

Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter ruby allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells. For this property to work, you must attach the ruby to the weapon by pressing the ruby against it for at least 10 minutes. Thereafter, the ruby can't be removed unless you detach it as an action or the weapon is destroyed. Not even an antimagic field causes it to fall off. The ruby does fall off the weapon if your attunement to the ruby ends.

A masque charm is a small silver pin. While wearing this charm, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell (DC 13 to discern the disguise). Once the spell is cast, it can't be cast from the charm again until the next sunset. When casting the spell, you can have the spell last for its normal 1 hour duration or for 6 hours. If you choose the 6-hour duration, the charm becomes nonmagical when the spell ends. In either case, the spell ends if the charm is removed from you.

The cost of constructing these two items will come from Augur's starting 200 sp.

So, my questions are:

1. Are you OK with the idea that Augur learned the formulas for several common magic items in the course of his apprenticeship as a Hedge Wizard? And if so, Are you OK with the five magic items I listed (items he knows how to make, but has not made any of them for himself at game start)?

2. Are you OK with the "one formula and exotic ingredient per level-up" convention I proposed for determining how many personal magic items Augur could research, obtain ingredients for, and craft prior to the start of the game? If so, are you OK with the two items I listed? 

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

Also, regarding Augur's age, I'd like to leave his age "open" for the time being. If I somehow make it into the game (even though you have a zillion amazing applicants), we can take a quick tally to see if any of the other players have strong feelings about Augur's age. If their are concerns, or if the particular selection of PCs warrants a change, or if you gain additional perspective that points to the need for a change, I'll make Augur 18 years old. 

Augur will almost certainly have an antivenom potion and a couple of healing potions of his own making. 

So, my questions are:

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

Also, regarding Augur's age, I'd like to leave his age "open" for the time being. If I somehow make it into the game (even though you have a zillion amazing applicants), we can take a quick tally to see if any of the other players have strong feelings about Augur's age. If their are concerns, or if the particular selection of PCs warrants a change, or if you gain additional perspective that points to the need for a change, I'll make Augur 18 years old. 

So, my questions are:

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

• Chest of Preserving (XGE): to the right buyer (a tavern owner, innkeep, butcher, baker...) this is a must have item. 

So, my questions are:

Wizard of the Coat

Wizard of the Coat

• Chest of Preserving (XGE): to the right buyer (a tavern owner, innkeep, butchers, baker...) this is a must have item. 

So, my questions are: