Deleted Scenes (OOC Conversation)

DoNotFearToTread

A much belated (Sorry!) third on the best wishes. Keeping my fingers crossed for you for a solution and/improvement!

Also, sympathies and vibes, that . . . Well, it sounds shitty and scary and that deeply sucks.

A lot of the discomfort, it turns out, was from a medicine I shouldn't have been on. It's out of my system now, so I can look at more than just my DMing duties.

Let's get on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. We seem to be at a decision point and it's not clear what are choices are: the two I can articulate are 1) parley with the Derro, on the theory that the messenger wasn't killed by the Derro but by some third party or 2) attempt to take some or all of the Derro guardsfolk by stealth and ambush. Do we talk or skulk?

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

Val is for ambushing them. She's bloodthirsty.

I, however, am for talking to them or at least trying to parley first before we let loose an ambush (like 3 of us hide and our most silver-tongued go out in front or something?). It really seems like someone didn't want the treaty to happen. Killing these ones may not mean much to us now, but it could mean something to someone else later. ("Our scouts never returned--they had to be been attacked! This is war!!")

Sorry, all. I meant to provide more details on this over the weekend but losing my phone in the Sound and having a power outage fry my PC's power supply put me in a real black hole of communication.

From the details you have put together, it is clear that there was a conflict in this area a year or two ago that seems to have been ended by a tunnel collapse. In that same period, someone from the elf contingent arrived here with treaty documents and was killed. The method of killing does seem to be of the 'knife in the back, keep it a secret' variety. Anyone who can speak dwarven can communicate with these derro, and they may well speak an elvish dialect as well given their history.

Further investigation of the area requires moving through the occupied portion of the cavern and will carry additional difficulty, but is an option for the group's stealth-heavy members. You could learn more about the layout and enemy numbers that way if you choose to risk it.

Does anyone even speak Dwarven?

Do we know anything about the dagger given the special pommel?

Plus, given the amount of time that has expired and the collapse of the tunnel, diplomatic situation might have changed and a treaty moot.

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

Ditto on speaking dwarven; as for the dagger . . . @DoNotFearToTread, would my Legend Lore boon be sufficient to identify the make, or is it of insufficient legend/historical note to be identifiable?

As for it being some years ago; true. But both races involved are long lived. Could go either way absent more info and it boils down to is the element of surprise worth losing for a peaceable solution?

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

Unless the Dwarves were absent for an extended period, it seems doubtful that they would fail to smell the fumes from a rotting corpse so close to their encampment as the dead courier decomposed.

And by time, I was referring to the amount of time that has passed between the sending of the message and its delivery which entails a presumption that the sender feels exactly the same as they did when the message was sent out years ago.

It was not a reference to longevity of life, just that most things and positions tend to change over time and so might the original basis of the treaty. Not that it can't be presented, just that we can't ensure that it still relevant and accurate.

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

I also have a spare language I left unchosen for just such an occasion, so I'm fine taking Dwarven if no one else wants to burn a language.

Do we need to roll or are we keeping our previous stealthiness?

It might be helpful to keep one person who speaks Dwarven in the negotiating party and the other in the hidden stealth party, so both group can understand what is being said (assuming they are close enough to hear).