LPF: Green Fingers - OOC posts

On 3/31/2024 at 9:27 PM, miteke_mw said:

Agitha should be within 30' of Belyr, right? She appears to be further than that and she was keeping close enough to maintain the fortune hex while they were traversing the bridge..

Map is fixed - please let me know if this changes matters.

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 12:44 PM, miteke_mw said:

Agitha is still not within 30'. Could you put her on shore right before the pathway across the water begins?

I can do that (we're then talking about grid square Q-46, correct?) but I just realized why I was so confused about Agitha's movement - I had forgotten the gecko had a 40ft move. My concern through all this was that, with Belyr under the influence of Longstrider, Agitha might not be able to keep up from the positions they both started in, although I am happy to tweak that given that combat started with the party becoming aware of the hazard at a safe distance. But that issue goes away once the movement of the gecko is taken into account. Apologies for the confusion - Agitha will definitely be able to reach a point within 30 ft of Belyr. Unless you do wish her to be placed at Q-46 as per above? Please let me know either way, I will amend the map accordingly in my next update.

Given that hexes take a standard action to cast, and cackling represents a move action, Agitha can't do anything else this round. So, in the previous round, she would have had to get herself into a position within 30ft of Belyr for this to work.

Edited by Sandstar (see edit history)

The map looks totally different from the last time I viewed it. Belyr is much further from the shore now. In any case I am happy with where Agitha is now (U 41).

• 3 weeks later...

@miteke_mw in response to your recent query about Ride checks, I would suggest the following sequence of rolls to resolve your complex situation:

1) Roll a Ride check vs DC 5 (!) immediately, to determine whether you stay in the saddle while the gecko is panicking (and while you yourself have just taken damage). This should be doable unless you roll a 1.

1a) If the worst happens (you fail the above roll) and you do fall off there and then, please roll another Ride check vs DC 15 to check whether you successfully execute a soft fall onto the bridge. If you make this check, then all is well and you are standing on the bridge in square U41. If you do end up failing your soft fall roll, before anything else, please first roll a Balance check (DC 11) to see whether you remain on the footbridge (in square U41) while the gecko hightails it back to land. If you fail that check, please roll 1d6, where 1-3 implies you roll off the bridge into the water to the LEFT of the bridge (squares T40, U40 and T41 respectively), and 4-6 implies you fall into the water to the RIGHT of the bridge (V41, U42, V42, as per the map). Needless to say, the water on the right-hand side of the bridge is currently a more hazardous place.

1b) If you fail your soft fall Ride check, but save the Balance check, you end up prone in square U41 while taking 1d2 damage (since you don't have a huge distance to fall and the surface is wood, not stone. But at least you won't be in the water!).

2) Based on your post, the gecko bolts back down the bridge, implying you are not rolling a second Ride check (DC 20) to control your mount in battle. Please confirm whether this is the case. NB: I am assuming here that the gecko was not trained for battle - please confirm.

3) Assuming none of the above has resulted in serious problems, once the gecko has traveled 20ft down the bridge towards land, please roll a DC15 Ride check to safely dismount, as per your intent.

Please advise if this makes sense, and amend your post accordingly if all this sounds reasonable.

I am going to have to pull out of the game and ask that you treat Ashril like an NPC; I have tried to get back into the game as things have settled down and I just can't. Ashril is not working functionally as a character, and I don't know how to fix it. The small weapon damage means that any DR makes him unreliable on the damage front, and the number of feats to really be competent (not even really good, just competent) in either mounted combat or archery, let alone both, is just too much. At some point, I may revisit him and get him at least functional, but everything I've seen that does that requires significant changes to the character and character concept, something I have neither time nor energy to deal with right now.

Why is damage important? Astril can fill a different role than damage. Agitha certainly sucks as far as damage goes, but I don't see her as a failure. Heck, that hex has saved our butts a lot of damage.

At our level and with his dex, he should be sporting some niche weapons like tanglefoot bags and alchemist flasks for combat, particularly since consumables are refreshed every level. There are some interesting alchemical weapons out there to try out.

Agitha has things like hex that will grow with time. Rangers don't have anything like that; they get weapons, and small weapon damage is an issue that never really goes away. Alchemical items work at lower levels, but even at this level, they start to lose their effectiveness because their damage is static or their DCs are low; they are a temporary fix at best for a problem inherent in the build. They eventually get a few spells, but getting enough spells for them to be really impactful comes later, just as more feats does. I am looking at a character that doesn't even really fully function until level 6 or 7, and that is basic functionality. In order to make the concept really work at even mid levels, I would have to change the base class and focus on a single thing, and that is a complete rework of the chararcter.