Part I: Atuity's Fall

Peff

spacer.png

"If you're confident you can hack something together before a search party finds us, then let's do it. I'll lend a hand," Nils said, "Jikjak, Gunner, Eri, you three are on watch for the moment."

OOC

SP: 22/22  |  HP: 17/21  |  RP 2/3

Aeon Guard Assault Rifle: 12/12

Semi-Auto: 8/9

Handcannon: 1/1

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)
Name
Engineering Aid DC 15
1d20+6 10

Phelar Morilla

spacer.png"Of course I'm confident I can do it!" Phelar said with a grin. "And I won't say no to a hand!" She said with a smile.

"So we need those pieces there. They look perfect for a quick job. I can do some touch up to it when we have more time." She said point to some specific pieces of junk and UPB that were larger. "Take this grinder here along the edges after I mount them to them APC." She then gets to work setting up the...trimmer.

Actions

OOC:

I forgot to include the +2 bonus from Nils Aid other into my roll so my result should be 18, not 16.

Resolve: 3/4

Stamina: 15/15

Hit Points: 19/19

Diadem of Desna uses: 1/1

Minor Psychic Power Uses: 3/3

1st Level Spell Uses: 3/4

Tactical Semi-Auto Pistol Rounds: 8/9 Loaded  60/60 in pack

Edited by Kyper007 (see edit history)
Name
Engineering Roll
1d20+9 7

Phelar, aided by Nils, get a sort of blade attached to the front of the APC. Several times during the two hours it takes to complete, Lavinia approaches and asks "...is this a good use of time?" or "Should we get the other vehicles moving?" The civilians mull about but despite her own reservations, she keeps them near the vehicles and in good order.

The process takes a couple of hours, which are tense, but no more transforming boar mechs, veskarium scouts, or even Azlanti attack craft appear. Its almost unnervingly uneventful. The new "plow blade" looks rushed but its attached.

Now for the real test, navigating the Kehtarian wilds.

As a reminder, the coordinates from Sarca's data indicate a position 30-40 miles outside of Autity. While this would only take a couple of hours by vehicle, that is with proper roads. Our journey will require you to navigate the terrain, as well as dealing with any obstacles you might encouter along the way.

Please designate a Navigator and then roll a Survival check to orienteer. Aiding is allowed and encouraged.

--==MAP==--

PC Statistics

Nils: Combat Expertise Envoy 3

Eri: Exocortex Mechanic 3

Jikjak: Fragmented Past Precog 3

Shawkra: Bombard Soldier 3

Phelar: Phrenic Adept Technomancer 3

Current APL: 3

APC: Good.

Vehicle Stats

APC                                                              Level 3
Huge Land Vehicle (10 ft. wide, 20 ft. long, 7 ft. high)
Speed 20 ft., full 200 ft., 24 mph (land)
EAC 16; KAC 18; Cover Total
HP 33 (16); Hardness 6
Attack (Collision) 7d4 B (DC 11)
Attack Merc NIL Grenade Launcher (-)
Attack Tactical Rail Cannon (1d10 P; critical Bleed 1d4)
Modifiers -3 Piloting, -3 attack (-5 at full speed)
Systems Additional Seating, Weapon Mount, Short-range Comm Unit; Passengers 6

Transport Truck                                         Level 1
Huge Land Vehicle (8 ft. wide, 20 ft. long, 10 ft. high)
Speed 25 ft., full 500 ft., 60 mph (land)
EAC 12; KAC 14; Cover Normal
HP 14 (7); Hardness 5
Attack (Collision) 5d4 B (DC 9)
Modifiers -3 Piloting, -4 attack (-6 at full speed)
Systems Additional Seating; Passengers 18

Scout Walker                                             Level 2
Large Land Vehicle (5 ft. wide, 6 ft. long, 10 ft. high)
Speed 25 ft., full 250 ft., 25 mph (land)
EAC 13; KAC 15; Cover Improved
HP 20 (10); Hardness 5
Attack (Collision) 5d4 B (DC 11)
Modifiers +1 Piloting, -2 attack (-6 at full speed)
Systems Additional Seating; Passengers 3

Custom Enercycle                                  Level   2
Price 1,782
Large Land Vehicle (5 ft. wide, 10 ft. long, 3 ft. high)
Speed 30 ft., full 600 ft., 60 mph (land)
EAC 10; KAC 12; Cover Partial
HP 15 (7); Hardness 5
Attack (Collision) 5d4 B (DC 11)
Modifiers +2 Piloting, -1 attack (-3 at full speed)
Systems Personnel Enclosure; Passengers 1

Edited by Peff (see edit history)

spacer.png

"Lavina, can you ask around and see if anyone here has wilderness experience?" Nils asked, standing up from the improvised cutter he and Phelar had affixed to the front of the APC. Between it and scouting a path with the walker, they had somewhat better odds getting through the trackless wilds. "Alright squad, we need a route to those coordinates, break out any maps we can and let's put our heads together."

OOC

Aeon Guard Assault Rifle: 12/12

Semi-Auto: 8/9

Handcannon: 1/1

Name
Survival Aid
1d20+0 13
Perception Aid (if Peff is feeling kind)
1d20+8 1
Diplomacy
1d20+8 17

• 2 weeks later...
Jikjak Whiptail

"Okay. Seems like I'm one of the only ones who has any idea how to navigate."spacer.png

He hits a button on his pad, bringing up satellite scans of the areas.

"One of the pros of being paranoid - you download satellite scans in case you have to run and hide in some godsforsaken wilderness. These are only a couple of days old, so they...might...be useful?"

He shrugs and starts trying to plot a course through the undergrowth.

"The hedgebuster should help with the light to medium fungus growth. We'll still need to navigate around the densest stuff, so any help watching out for that would be welcome. Also, remember, I'm an off-worlder, so if I'm about to drive into something that eats military armor plating as fertilizer, yell at me."

Oh Erastil, Weydan, and all of the Eldest, let this work...

Show tabletop...

OOC details and explanations of rolls

Name
Survival
1d20+2 11

Phelar Morilla

spacer.pngPhelar looked towards Lavina as she walked up, then pulled her goggles up and nodded before saying with a grin. "Very much so! This blade, which once we get to where we're going I'll outfit all our vehicles with, will save both time and precious bullet's in trying to get through this mess of a forest." She said with a simple nod, then pulled her goggles back down and promptly back to work letting Nils finish that discussion.

"I welded the, as you call it hedgebuster on pretty good. So you should be able to drive at a bit faster pace then the slow crawl we anticipated." She said to Jikjak as she road up next to the APC. "Let's do this!" She then looks over the data quickly, giving her input towards the navigation.

Actions

OOC:

I forgot to include the +2 bonus from Nils Aid other into my roll so my result should be 18, not 16.

Resolve: 3/4

Stamina: 15/15

Hit Points: 19/19

Diadem of Desna uses: 1/1

Minor Psychic Power Uses: 3/3

1st Level Spell Uses: 3/4

Tactical Semi-Auto Pistol Rounds: 8/9 Loaded  60/60 in pack

Name
Survival
1d20+0 2

Lavinia Tavo

1408318429_LaviniaTavo.jpg.2703612e088a62fa9a7db034f6ef2348.jpg"Staff Sergeant" Lavinia's voice comes onto the comms "Stoneshawls say they know a thing or two about navigation between the three of them." There's some muffled voices from behind her "They, huh. Ok. The said you took a left for no reason? Just let me patch them through..."

"I said where in tha' 9 hells are ya takin' this thing? East is tha way!" You hear someone in the back say that they can't see him pointing "Jus...back it up a bit an git us back on course will ye? Torag's flamin' forge man."

A data package comes through, with a compass reading showing you going W, NW when you should be heading E, NE.

Lavinia Tavo

1408318429_LaviniaTavo.jpg.2703612e088a62fa9a7db034f6ef2348.jpg"So I'm thinking we may want one of them up front with you?"

At this point, we're going to play with the hexploration rules a bit. Rule reference: https://aonsrd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=745 I don't really expect you to learn them inside and out, mostly its going to be you making decisions and me dealing with the running of it.

Generally speaking, you have 2 options: Travel or Perform Recon. There's also Downtime but we're not going to deal with that unless you all actually want to take time not moving to do so.

Travel: Using Survival, you can keep on your course and just keep moving. You have a number of exploration activities a day, which determines how far you get. How many activities you have depends on your speed. The hedgebuster was enough to get you 6 activities, the maximum. Given the terrain, it could break which would reduce your activities and your speed. To move through each hex, you spend activities equal to your current hex + that of your destination hex, each based on their biome. If you don't know the biome you're heading into, you're gambling that you have enough which brings us to...

Perform Recon: You take some time within the hex to more accurately explore it. This takes a certain amount of activities based on the hex's biome. I know we're not playing an exploration game but this has some benefits for you. First, you can choose to be careful or thorough. Regardless of which you choose, you learn what hex biomes are adjacent to the one you are in. There may also be usable features or resources as well.

Careful: The random encounter DC goes up, meaning its harder to get a random encounter. Additionally, I don't roll break chance on the hedgebuster.

Thorough: You take your time to find the way through the terrain and find a faster path, which reduces the activities needed by 1. You take more time in the hex though, so encounter DC goes down, meaning its easier to get an encounter AND I roll break chance on the hedgebuster.

You are currently in (fungal) Forest biome. This first hex effectively doesn't count for encounters or break chance but you do need to decide how to proceed: Travel or Recon. You also know that the biome behind you is Urban (Kehtaria).

We'll also need 1 survival check per hex to keep in the right direction. The first one is done as of this post. We can have the Stoneshawls run point with you aiding, as there is still the potential for failure and getting off course.

To get started, you have 6 activities. Traveling out of Forest is 3 activities. You do not yet know what biome is ahead on your current course but I will say that the maximum it could be is 3. The hexes are each 12 miles across and activities are a representation of how quickly you can move through those, which should also give you a clue on how dense some of the terrain is.

Name
Survival (3 aids)
1d20+7+6 14

spacer.png

"Yes, thank you, Ms Tavo. Please bring them up to the APC and get us a heading," Nils said, mounting back up and pulling his walker up to the front of the little convoy. "We move carefully, I'll scout ahead and keep and eye out for threats and dangerous terrain. Wildlife out here can be vicious. Just about the only advantage we have is that any problems we have will go for anyone trying to follow us as well."

OOC

So that's recon with careful movement.

Aeon Guard Assault Rifle: 12/12-50

Semi-Auto: 9/9-44

Handcannon: 1/1-11

Hexploration Reference

Rule reference: https://aonsrd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=745 

Generally speaking, you have 2 options: Travel or Perform Recon. There's also Downtime but we're not going to deal with that unless you all actually want to take time not moving to do so.

Travel: Using Survival, you can keep on your course and just keep moving. You have a number of exploration activities a day, which determines how far you get. How many activities you have depends on your speed. The hedgebuster was enough to get you 6 activities, the maximum. Given the terrain, it could break which would reduce your activities and your speed. To move through each hex, you spend activities equal to your current hex + that of your destination hex, each based on their biome. If you don't know the biome you're heading into, you're gambling that you have enough which brings us to...

Perform Recon: You take some time within the hex to more accurately explore it. This takes a certain amount of activities based on the hex's biome. I know we're not playing an exploration game but this has some benefits for you. First, you can choose to be careful or thorough. Regardless of which you choose, you learn what hex biomes are adjacent to the one you are in. There may also be usable features or resources as well.

Careful: The random encounter DC goes up, meaning its harder to get a random encounter. Additionally, I don't roll break chance on the hedgebuster.

Thorough: You take your time to find the way through the terrain and find a faster path, which reduces the activities needed by 1. You take more time in the hex though, so encounter DC goes down, meaning its easier to get an encounter AND I roll break chance on the hedgebuster.

You are currently in (fungal) Forest biome. This first hex effectively doesn't count for encounters or break chance but you do need to decide how to proceed: Travel or Recon. You also know that the biome behind you is Urban (Kehtaria).

We'll also need 1 survival check per hex to keep in the right direction. The first one is done as of this post. We can have the Stoneshawls run point with you aiding, as there is still the potential for failure and getting off course.

To get started, you have 6 activities. Traveling out of Forest is 3 activities. You do not yet know what biome is ahead on your current course but I will say that the maximum it could be is 3. The hexes are each 12 miles across and activities are a representation of how quickly you can move through those, which should also give you a clue on how dense some of the terrain is.

Taking your time for some recon, following along with the Stoneshawls you determine the following:

Current Biome: Forest (fungal)

Surrounding Biomes:

• Northwest - Mountains
  • Northeast - Marsh (fungal)
  • East - Forest (fungal)
  • West - Forest (fungal)
  • Southwest - Plains
  • Southeast - Urban (Kehtaria)

"Ah, looks like we'll be headin thru' some marsh uppahead. Good news is we should still have plenty o' daylight ta get inta it."

With your dwarven navigator, you head on into the Marsh. While the hedgebuster is very effective in the forest, its perhaps less impressive with the water. Its still keeping your activities maxed out but there may be some complications related to terrain here.

A Marsh biome requires 2 exploration activities, you spent 3/6 performing recon, so you can move into the next hex without any issues....probably.

You have 1 activity remaining, which isn't really enough to do anything with. If you really wanted to do any Downtime with it, you could look at the options and let me know. Build Shelter, Gather Supplies, Inoculate, Maintain Readiness, or Secure Area are possible good options for that. Otherwise, we'll continue to the next day and Marsh biome.

6/6 Hexploration Activities. Travel or Recon (Careful or Thorough)? Reminder that this hex and the next I'll start rolling for encounters.

Name
Survival - Orienteer Marsh (Hex 2)
1d20+7 15

Jikjak Whiptail

"Aw, smeg."spacer.png

The ysoki pokes his head out the window, sneering at the waterlogged soil.

"Swamps. It just had to be swamps. One of the worst terrain types for land vehicles. Aside from marshes, maybe. And the hedgebuster's not going to do anything here."

He pops his stim-stick into his mouth. It's unloaded, but he needs something hard between his molars right now.

"If we don't recon this area, we've got a good chance of getting stuck in the muck. And that will probably mean a predator's going to show up looking for some easy snacks."

Show tabletop...

OOC details and explanations of rolls

spacer.png

"Let's secure the area for now and get everyone settled. I'll head out with the first light to run recon," Nils said. Jikjak was right, this would be a nightmare to navigate with the APC but they did not have a lot of time. The civilians needed shelter and resources and he had gambled that they would have just that at their destination.

"We need a perimeter and whatever we can do for sleeping arrangements."

OOC

Nils will secure the area with his downtime.

Let's keep with the careful recon for now. I don't want the APC to end up swamped

Aeon Guard Assault Rifle: 12/12-50

Semi-Auto: 9/9-44

Handcannon: 1/1-11

Hexploration Reference

Rule reference: https://aonsrd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=745 

Shawkra sets up a perimeter and the night passes without any issue. The Stoneshawls are ready to explore the area early.

Previous Biome: Forest (fungal)

Current Biome: Marsh (fungal)

Surrounding Biomes:

• Northwest - Marsh (fungal)
  • Northeast - Mountains
  • East - Forest (fungal)
  • West - Marsh (fungal)
  • Southwest - Plains
  • Southeast - Forest (fungal)

The dwarves keep you moving Northeast, toward the mountains or at least they think they do.

"Now thas more like it! Lookin like we got some mountains uppahead! Thank tha' stone fer tha!"

However, as the day drags on in the Marsh, its becoming more and more apparent that something has gone wrong.

"Can any of ye git an eye on which direction we were headin? Blasted swamp, we've been past tha tree twice already!"

Recon spent 2 activities for Marsh, moving out of the Marsh is 2, moving into Mountains is 2, which would bring us to 6/6. That would bring you to within the hex where the coordinates are pointing...except that you're in danger of spending another night in the marsh with the failed survival check.

Your best bet is rolling higher. Even with all of you aiding, you'd fall short on the DC.

Name
Orienteer Mountains (Hex 3)
1d20+7 2
Encounter Roll DC 14 (Careful)
1d20 9