Edit History

Rogers

Rogers

2 hours ago, Zen Gypsy said:

Just saw this, and I have always been interested in Eberron, but never played a game based in the setting.  Now I have always been interested in Karrnath, the idea of an undead nation is just awesome to me.  However, given the nature of necromancy, how is it viewed outside of that nation, by Eberron at large?  Would a Bone Oracle who used summoned undead, and, eventually, the Create Undead ritual for a more permanent option, be viewed with hostility for practicing necromancy?  Or would it be based on my actions?

It would either be the above, or an aspiring Air Ship Captain, with the Mark of Storm, but I haven't fleshed out that concept yet as the first option is more appealing to me.

Well, let's talk about necromancy:

In general, necromancy has a dark reputation in the Five Nations. Arcane Necromancy is often associated with the Shadow, and Divine Necromancy is associated with the Keeper (of the Dark Six). Now beyond that, people think of the Blood of Vol and of course during the Last War, Karrnath was the only one using necromancy.

The common folk doesn't like necromancy for a good reason of course because everybody knows that undead are a real dangerous force in the world. It is mostly because of their beliefs with the Sovereign Host that the dead find peace in Dolurrh the realm of the dead, and they want to bury their dead.

Practicing necromancy isn't illegal in the Five Nations. As with all magic in general, the crime is mostly how you use it. Like a cleric or oracle can't be arrested for having a skeleton minion, but desecrating a corpse is illegal, so guards and the likes could ask evidence that you have claim to the corpse, usually charging you as a grave robber. In Karrnath they issue official papers of ownership for corpses.

Other spells have various reactions depending on how they manifest.

So it is in general not seen in a favorable light.

2 hours ago, allefgib said:

I've gone down a deep well of eberron setting lore learning.

I'm excited to get an application or 2, if multiple pcs allowed, over the weekend.

Ah deep lore diving, it is pretty fun.

If you feel up for it, sure.

Rogers

Rogers

2 hours ago, Zen Gypsy said:

Just saw this, and I have always been interested in Eberron, but never played a game based in the setting.  Now I have always been interested in Karrnath, the idea of an undead nation is just awesome to me.  However, given the nature of necromancy, how is it viewed outside of that nation, by Eberron at large?  Would a Bone Oracle who used summoned undead, and, eventually, the Create Undead ritual for a more permanent option, be viewed with hostility for practicing necromancy?  Or would it be based on my actions?

It would either be the above, or an aspiring Air Ship Captain, with the Mark of Storm, but I haven't fleshed out that concept yet as the first option is more appealing to me.

Well, let's talk about necromancy:

In general, necromancy has a dark reputation in the Five Nations. Arcane Necromancy is often associated with the Shadow, and Divine Necromancy is associated with the Keeper (of the Dark Six). Now beyond that, people think of the Blood of Vol and of course during the Last War, Karrnath was the only one using necromancy.

The common folk doesn't like necromancy for a good reason of course because everybody knows that undead are a real dangerous force in the world. It is mostly because of their beliefs with the Sovereign Host that the dead find peace in Dolurth, and they want to bury their dead.

Practicing necromancy isn't illegal in the Five Nations. As with all magic in general, the crime is mostly how you use it. Like a cleric or oracle can't be arrested for having a skeleton minion, but desecrating a corpse is illegal, so guards and the likes could ask evidence that you have claim to the corpse, usually charging you as a grave robber. In Karrnath they issue official papers of ownership for corpses.

Other spells have various reactions depending on how they manifest.

So it is in general not seen in a favorable light.

2 hours ago, allefgib said:

I've gone down a deep well of eberron setting lore learning.

I'm excited to get an application or 2, if multiple pcs allowed, over the weekend.

Ah deep lore diving, it is pretty fun.

If you feel up for it, sure.