Chapter III: Death in the Jungle

Gregorotto

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Age 129 | Height 5' 11" (1.80m) | Weight 126 lbs. (57kg) | Hair Copper Red | Eyes Emerald Green | Complexion Pale Bronze

Description Cyrienne is a fiery wood elf maiden, with blazing red curls and expressive emerald eyes, and sharp cut features. She is naturally more curvy than most elves, but not excessively so.

She wears a green wood elven armour complete with yellow cape. While it is as authentic a wood elf armour as it gets, it does appear to sacrifice some functionality for grace, and some carmouflage for appeal. Nevertheless, it still provides both, along with protection. The silver brooch, which fixates the cloak upon her shoulder, is holy symbol of Sune.

Statblock

Sheet Cyrienne Alenuath | Alignment Chaotic good | Type medium humanoid (elf) | Classes Cleric (Light) 3 | Background Acolyte

Init +3 | AC 15 (leather) | Senses 60' darkvision  | Passive Insight 15; Investigation 9; Perception 15 | Saves Str -1, Dex +3, Con +1, Int -1, Wis +3, Cha +2

Immunities/Resistances

• Adv. on saving throws vs. magical charms
  • Immune to magical sleep effects

Languages  Common, Elvish, Sylvan

HD 3/3d8HP 15/15 | Warding Flare ☐☐ | Channel Divinity  | Arrows 20/20 | Spell Slots I: ☐☐☐ II:

Underscored: Replenish on long rest | Italic : Replenish on short or long rest. | Numbers count available resources, not used resources. | "☐" indicates an available resource, "☒" used resource.

Status - |  Effects - | Concentrating on - | Hands Main Longbow, Off Holy Symbol

Durations in rds. denote the remaining rounds after the current one.

Cyrienne Alenuath, Chaotic Good Female Wood Elf Cleric of Sune

Cyrienne cast a glance that was a little more than warm to Mariposa when the fey calmed down the axebeak in order to help Cyrienne heal it. "You do have an uncanny charm on the feral, my fair fey... An adventure that comes into mind would be to run alongside you naked as nature created us through the forest, in order to live of honey and nectar and outsmart all creatures that would harm us." She mused dreamily, but then forced herself to focus on the axebeak once more.

"Alas..." she sighed and healed the axebeak with a touch. Then she tried to remove the rope around its beak. "This forest is not our personal paradise, even at the best of times." Her voice became a bit darker. "More importantly, this isn't the best of times, as the occupants of this camp had to find out." The original occupants of Camp Righteous had turned into undead. Seemingly all at once. This may be a side effect of the death curse, but Cyrienne's impression was that, while the effect was somehow related to the curse, it wasn't the curse itself. The curse just killed, very slow, and it didn't usually befall large populations all it once. This camp didn't look like the whole population had gradually gotten sick and succumbed to a terrible disease.

She briefly looked up from helping the bird: "Eku, this is Camp Righteous, isn't it? If it is, this is indeed our final destination so far."

CGncsio.pngNajya

HP:   27/27

AC:   15

Init:  +3

PP:   14

Speed:  45

Ki:  2/3

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Unarmored DefenseMartial ArtsKiUnarmored MovementTouch of Death

Tools:  Alchemist's Supplies

Languages:  Common, Sign Language, Alzhedo, Chultan

Weapons & Armors:  Simple Weapons, Shortswords

Feats:  none

Racial & Background:  Deathless NatureSpider ClimbVampiric BiteShelter of the Faithful

IC

Najya let's herself relax as the last of the short creatures meets its end. Or rather, she relaxes as much as she ever relaxes. One must always be on guard against the unexpected. But the monk's fists unclench and her sinewy arms disappear back into the sleeves of her robe as she shrugs the dangling upper half back into its proper place.

While the others see to the bird, Najya begins a sweep of the camp. She makes the circuit twice, the first time searching for any lingering threats, and the second time examining the tracks leading in and out of the camp. She is far more interested in what may have left than what entered, of course. Especially if any of those footprints or patterns of movement suggest the shambling gait of the undead...

OOC

Rolling Perception mostly for flavor on the first pass, then Survival on the second. If Eku will help on searching for tracks, I'll roll with advantage. If not, ignore the second Survival roll.

Name
Perception
1d20+4 13
Survival
1d20+4 13
Survival (if advantage)
1d20+4 13

• 2 weeks later...

Story purrs as combat resolves itself, looking around at the charred carnage. "Effective... if terrifying. Excellent work, Cyrienne."

Cora concurs from above. "And here I thought I'd be all fancy when I learned how that famous fireball spell worked... Mystra's Magical Menagerie, that was awesome!"

At Cyrienne's low comment about running through the woods with a bestial Mariposa, the tabaxi's excellent cat ears twitch, the purring stopping. Do tabaxi blush? This group is suddenly the experts on such a question. But they adjust their focus, Najya beginning to secure the surrounding area and Story moving to join her, while Cyrienne and Mariposa answer Danuše's question: that this was the current destination, not the final one. Eku, focused on the axe beak, waits for Cyrienne to apply her healing and Mariposa to lay on her fey touch. Eku puts out her hand and the nervous axe beak, uncertain, looks to Mariposa and Cyrienne, then places its beak in Eku's hand, then closer: Eku pets the bird's head, and it coos at her, coming closer and then rubbing into Cyrienne and Mariposa. EKu reaches into her pack and produces some dried fruits and meats, testing the waters: the axe beak, not picky and desperately hungry, eats both, licking her hand for good measure.

Story's purring has returned, and soon, Eku and Story join Najya in searching the camp for signs of life. The goblins are dealt with by placing their bodies in the river and letting the water deal with them: leaving them to rot would attract undead or thunder lizards, Eku concludes, but Najya leads the effort. The camp is secure enough, even to camp in, morbid as the thought may be.

Story speaks up in regards to the idea of where to go next. "We could keep following the river; logic dictates the survivors went somewhere. But Eku, didn't you mention an oracle?"

The Chultan woman nods. "Orolunga, deep in the jungles. We would need to get past the Mbala Plateau, which would allow you all a sight few have seen: a full view of central Chult. But there are many other options, and we could return to Port Nyanzaru, successful as we are."

Story considers. "I don't think I'm ready to go back, just yet."

spacer.pngDanuše

| Changeling Rogue/Warlock | Level 1/1 | AC 14, HP: 10/10 | CG | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 12  |

|  Passive Investigation: 13  | Spell Save DC:  13  |  Spell Attack Modifier:  +5 | Spd: 30 feet

Danuše also helps to secure the camp, seeks out dead wood for a fire for the evening and generally makes herself useful. "I would rather not return to the port; I was fleeing from some rather nasty pirates when I ran into the jungle and I am certain that they would put into Port Nyyanzaru to re-supply," she says. "What is the ultimate goal, then? Do we seek the source of the undead? What necromancer or other thing is creating them? I think we should have to find some and somehow track them back, perhaps," she adds thinking aloud.

CGncsio.pngNajya

Features

Class Features:  Unarmored DefenseMartial ArtsKiUnarmored MovementTouch of Death

Racial & Background:  Deathless NatureSpider ClimbVampiric BiteShelter of the Faithful

IC

Najya is not often one to voice her opinion, so to speak. She generally lets the others do the talking and the planning, and she is content to focus on safeguarding the group and their activities. But when it comes to their mission, the monk sees it as a holy one, and so she feels the need to emphasize its importance. She signs:

i3xBUGm.png

EWqJphQ.png

Najya does not like the idea of returning to the city. In her mind, that means returning to her cell beneath the temple. Perhaps she would be allowed to accompany the group on a future sortie, but she doesn't want to take the chance. She likes being out in the jungle. She likes the sights and smells of the place. She likes being with these people. And best of all, there are countless opportunities to encounter the undead. Ending this curse may not be as simple as individually destroying every last skeleton and zombie, but Najya would welcome the opportunity all the same.

32a0Gz5.png

OOC

I'm in favor of seeking the oracle.

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Age 129 | Height 5' 11" (1.80m) | Weight 126 lbs. (57kg) | Hair Copper Red | Eyes Emerald Green | Complexion Pale Bronze

Description Cyrienne is a fiery wood elf maiden, with blazing red curls and expressive emerald eyes, and sharp cut features. She is naturally more curvy than most elves, but not excessively so.

She wears a green wood elven armour complete with yellow cape. While it is as authentic a wood elf armour as it gets, it does appear to sacrifice some functionality for grace, and some carmouflage for appeal. Nevertheless, it still provides both, along with protection. The silver brooch, which fixates the cloak upon her shoulder, is holy symbol of Sune.

Statblock

Sheet Cyrienne Alenuath | Alignment Chaotic good | Type medium humanoid (elf) | Classes Cleric (Light) 3 | Background Acolyte

Init +3 | AC 15 (leather) | Senses 60' darkvision  | Passive Insight 15; Investigation 9; Perception 15 | Saves Str -1, Dex +3, Con +1, Int -1, Wis +3, Cha +2

Immunities/Resistances

HD 3/3d8HP 15/15 | Warding Flare ☐☐ | Channel Divinity  | Arrows 20/20 | Spell Slots I: ☐☐☐ II:

Underscored: Replenish on long rest | Italic : Replenish on short or long rest. | Numbers count available resources, not used resources. | "☐" indicates an available resource, "☒" used resource.

Status - |  Effects - | Concentrating on - | Hands Main Longbow, Off Holy Symbol

Cyrienne giggled and was visibly happy to have helped the bird. Unfortunately, she didn’t have time to play with the poor creature. However, her friends were pushing to move on, whereas Cyrienne would rather investigate this place thoroughly – after all they had spent several tendays coming here, it seemed appropriate to take the time and learn whatever they could from this site.

Investigating the Masks

However, before Story could dispose of the goblins, Cyrienne took a moment to have a closer look at their strange masks. While masks such as this were not unusual in tribal culture, it may also be a sign that somebody utilised the goblins for their own sinister purpose. “Eku, do you know whether they’ve always used these masks?” Cyrienne asked while she examined the mask and tried to probe it for information. She also scanned their possession for anything that might be unusual for both a tribal goblin and the camp. She also turned to Najya and signaled, in her best ability to use Najya's sign language: "Did you find anything?"

On Possible Survivors

When Story elaborated how ‘logic dictates’ that there were survivors down the river, Cyrienne looked up; first in the direction which Story had indicated, then to Story himself. “What makes you think there were any survivors? Given to the amount of undead we’ve seen, compared to the size of the camp, I would presume they’re all undead by now – well, minus those that we destroyed. Other than the axebeak, of course, which seems to have been trapped in there all the time. Unless, of course, it the goblins brought it along and it's hungered down because they always treated it poorly.”

She looked around. There were signs of a rushed departure in the tents, but not necessarily departure from the camp, it may as well have been a call to arms. That the permanent structures were burnt down and the tents still standing indicated that the tents were built after the fire. Cyrienne took a closer look at one of the tents to figure out whether they were human or goblin tents, and she somehow overlooked this detail it so far. “Also, if there were any survivors, why haven’t they come back? The undead all left, every one of them. Because of the goblins?” She didn’t sound convinced.

Investigating the Camp

There were signs of a fire that burned down the original camp. However, the tents seem to have been set up after the fire, and neither by the goblins nor the undead. This, Cyrienne’s guess was that the fire happened a long time ago. Cyrienne asked Eku about it, though, and should the destruction of the wooden fortifications be something that happened relatively recently, Cyrienne would investigate those, too; maybe it had even been set by the defenders.

For now, she was content with thoroughly looking through the tents and their immediate environment. Any signs of battle other the one against the goblins right now would be intriguing. Any fresh graves or dug up graves, and fallen weapons, or maybe dead bodies that were too damaged to be restored as undead. Any written document, a logbook, reports, or even a final letter, written in the last hours of the camp, would be outstandingly helpful.

As Cyrienne was a person guided by intuition and a sense for beauty, which was sorely lacking here, her approach to investigating the camp was somewhat less than methodical, though.

Final Questions

Another thing that Cyrienne was curious about was the boats. From the distance they didn’t look they were in a bad state, so why hadn’t anybody bothered using them? Or did anybody arrive in them. There were a lot of questions that still worried her: Why didn’t the undead leave a garrison at this place? When did the goblins arrive in the picture and how thoroughly had they scavenged through the leftovers yet? Where did they come from and possibly, on whose behalf? She assumed that the goblins created the campfire and then dispersed as they heard somebody approached, but it did look a little too neat and orderly for them, and she would rather make sure that that was indeed the case.

OOC

I don't know which exact skills are appropriate here, but chances are that they're intelligence based, so I am going to make a couple of Intelligence rolls.
Note: I screwed up the final roll. It's a 10, plus whatever comes up for guidance. Ignore the 8; I accidentally added a d4 and a d20.

Name
Intelligence - Investigate the Masks / Goblins
4; 2
1d4;1d20-1 [4]; [4,3]
Investigate the Camp
1; 1
1d4;1d20-1 [1]; [1,2]
Investigate Final Questions
8; 10
1d20+1d4;1d20-1 [6,2]; [6,2,11]

Mariposa-removebg-preview.png.1c1b2e8df2cb5abe5fea4acba3ffccca.pngMariposa

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 (Shield) | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Druidic, Elvish, Sylvan

Deep dimples formed in Mariposa's cheeks as she smiled at the beautiful Priestess. "On the contrary, this beautiful jungle could certainly be our paradise in the best of times. It reminds me, at times, of my home. Without the horrid undead, it will be even more like home. Just like I still see it in my dreams..." She trailed off as her eyes sparkled a bright, silvery, lilac. Her hands reached out and stroked the Axebeak's feathers once it was sated. "You may find, dear Sunset, that my charm with the feral is not so extraordinary. You, too, have such a way with the untamed..." She paused and offered the woman a more coy smile. "...as you have proven with myself." Her words were followed by a trilling laughter.

The Faun peered over the Axebeak once more and she let out a low purring noise, not unlike Story did whenever someone scratched just behind his left ear. "There there, my forlorn friend. You can understand me, I think, but in my foolishness I have not prepared the necessary rhymes to allow you to speak back." Her eyes darkened to a deep orange color. "Perhaps another time, perhaps another day, we will meet again, and you'll have much to say."

Mari pulled her attention away from the Axebeak and followed Cyrienne in her investigation of the camp, assisting where she could. The Faun was not exactly the most attentive in any given situation, much less during an in-depth examination. But even her distracted eyes could happen upon a shiny object or two. In response to Eku, Mari gasps and nods enthusiastically. "Yes, yes! An oracle sounds intriguing! What is more, this plateau offers us something rare and unique? One should never pass up on such an opportunity! Besides, I believe Sunset is correct; If there were survivors, would they have not returned instead of moving deeper into the dangerous jungles? They have surely all died. And those that were not consumed by the undead or became part of them, were most likely consumed by the jungle itself!" The last sentence was said with a troubling amount of positive inflection. It was as if the Fey was incapable of being dour.

OoC

In my last post I did a perception over the goblins to see if I could find any trinkets. I don't remember if we resolved that or not...Sorry. If not, did I find anything? If so, ignore me.

Assisting Cyrienne in her investigations! (Or at least the last two, as I think Mari would consider the Goblin masks to just be a fun little art project that the goblins enjoyed.)

Name
Investigation - Camp
1d20+0 4
Investigation - Boats
1d20+0 8

spacer.pngDanuše

| Changeling Rogue/Warlock | Level 1/1 | AC 14, HP: 10/10 | CG | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 12  |

|  Passive Investigation: 13  | Spell Save DC:  13  |  Spell Attack Modifier:  +5 | Spd: 30 feet

"It sounds like we have a consensus to seek out the oracle, perhaps such a seer can discern the root of the undead," Danuše says. She sat on the steps and keeps a watch on the surroundings, as they others searched the camp more thoroughly, alert to any potential trouble that may come from the jungle.

It is decided: they will go to Orolunga, deeper into the jungles of Chult.

Story notes the resistance from Danuše and nods, finding the logic of it sensible, while he senses Najya's reluctance perhaps a little telling; he keeps it to himself. Eku nods as well, and Cora grins, her bright face unimpeded by the snakebite she still suffers from, no poison in her veins to temper her optimism. After Mariposa and Cyrienne banter, Story nods to the boats. "There are still boats, yet those two boats could not have carried but one or two tents' worth of contents. That tells me that some escaped by boat, and those who could not did not survive. If a horde of undead overran this place, they could not pursue in the river: after our foray into those waters only a few days ago, I can only assume some got away: but which way did they go?" He is not certain; Eku seems skeptical of this theory as is Cyrienne, but Story stands by it. To the theory, Cora says nothing, but soon, the group joins Cyrienne in studying the rest of the ruins and their attackers.

To the question of the masks, Eku ponders, looking them over. "Each tribe of Batiri goblins worship a type of thunder lizard, reflected in the type of masks they wear. These... I am not sure. I believe they are the three-horned triceratops, but the masks have irregular horns. This one has one, these have two... but the ones with one horn, you see the ears, which makes three 'horns,' while the two horns, the goblin's nose pokes through. It's clever how much care they put into these." She sighs. "They've never let me get close enough to know the difference between tribes. I know a queen supposedly rules all Batiri, but I do not know her. The Batiri are known to revel in the flesh of non-goblins: but never their own kind."

Unfortunately for Cyriene and Mariposa, they are too excited between them to do much deep investigation, and Story is too preoccupied with his own question to do much in the way of searching himself and Cora is busy thinking on something herself. Afternoon descends and the group ultimately can't make head or tails of the way the place fell. An undead horde; the living fled. Some by foot, perhaps by river: there are certainly enough posts by the river to indicate boats could have been tied to them, and there is cut rope by them, but that could mean many things. Whatever the case, the group likely needs to head on. Eku provides commentary on their choice.

"It will be nine to ten days to Mbala, a day's climb, and then seven more days to Orolunga. You will need to prepare yourselves for hard climbing, for a harsh trek, and for what comes ahead. In the meantime, we must head onward, following the river for as long as it can carry us. Shall we go by boat, or by foot?"

The axe beak, sticking close, squawks loudly, then hears something in the jungle: something familiar, and similar to boot. Then the rest of the group hears it: more axe beaks. The young axe beak continues its warks and the others appear, older and wiser axe beaks with scars and full plumes of weathers. The young axe beak runs to them, rubbing on the largest, its eye scarred, and then regards the group, running back to Mariposa and Cyrienne. It looks back confusedly, back and forth; does it want to go with them, or them to come with it and join their tribe? The other axe beaks are wary, and nervous; Cora is giddy with excitement at the sight of them all.

Out of Character

Alright, Camp Righteous is done. What now?

• Roll for the night, whether we camp here or elsewhere. Do what ye will.
  • In your next post, the first four people to reply roll 1d20, add nothing to do it.
  • If you haven't already rolled Initiative, roll it; check your last two posts to confirm.
  • We're going to flash forward 4 days, provided there's no encounters: roll skills for either night, for day time searching and exploration, or what have you.
  • After your next post, level up to level 4. In your private character thread, roll for HP or take half (reroll 1's), let me know new spells and abilities, and let me know how you're feeling thus far on ToA. We're back in explorer mode, and if you have opinions about how that went in Chapter 2, let me know and we'll try to make something that works for everyone. Remember to update your posting headers!

Questions? Hit me up in Discord or the OOC!

I plan on doing an overhaul of the maps section to include the places we've visited and include more of a synopsis in the chapters section. Cora will be leaving us shortly, unless someone can make a convincing argument otherwise.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Description Cyrienne is a fiery wood elf maiden, with blazing red curls and expressive emerald eyes, and sharp cut features. She is naturally curvier than most elves, but not excessively so.

Statblock

Immunities/Resistances

HD 3/3d8HP 15/15 | Warding Flare ☐☐ | Channel Divinity  | Arrows 20/20 | Spell Slots I: ☒☒☐☐ II:

Cyrienne was alert and reached for her weapon when suddenly there came noise from the jungle. “Stay behind us,” she hushed to the axe beak. When she saw the herd of follow axe beaks her face immediately lightened up and she quickly put her weapons away again. She giggled as she saw the young one bond with the older axe beak and was further heartwarming that it was torn between the two groups.

“Go with your people! You’ll be a lot happier with them.”  Cyrienne wouldn’t have minded the company of the axe beak, of course, and had been curious whether it knew what happened here, but its happiness had precedence. She softly put her arms around the creature and planted a kiss on its neck before she sent it off to its people. Silently she sent a prayer after them: “Sune, bless this tribe of wonderful creatures. With happiness, rather than more beauty in this case, for I wouldn’t want anybody to hunt them for their pretty feathers.”

After that matter was settled, Cyrienne went down to the peer and tried to assess their situation. Without talking to anybody in particular, she announced, with Story’s earlier statements in mind: “If there were any survivors and they fled by boat, it would make most sense if they fled downstream, towards Port Nyenzaru. But we haven’t seen them there and they can’t go to Port Nyenzaru, because they’re Flaming Fist and not welcome there…” That didn’t necessarily mean anything, their little party had been travelling by the riverbank for a couple of day, but any refugees may have landed on a different spot. In fact, since the party had come the most obvious way it wasn’t surprising that they hadn’t found anything, the refugees were hiding from the undead.

“I suggest we go on our journey by boat and keep an eye out for any survivors. Since the undead are unlikely to use water ways, it may be easier to find them this way.” Cyrienne focused Najya: “You didn’t find any useful tracks earlier, did you?”

Cyrienne tried to find a location near the pier. Given that whoever controlled the undead clearly knew of this place, it might be dangerous to stay, but the only meaningful alternative would be to take the boats and look for a proper camp site at the riverbank right now. Cyrienne wasn't going to leave the boats behind overnight, and finding a camp site in might turn out tricky.

After that she uses her Sune's magic to cleans some water in a basin and prepare food for the others. She also decorated their campsite a little to make it as pretty as possible on the inside, an as mundane and inconspicuous as possible from the outside. It wasn't going to be a temple of Sune, but she hoped she could at least surprise the one or the other by making it a little more pleasant than anticipated.

OOC

Cyrienne uses up one spell slot to "Purify Food and Drink" on whatever water and food we have.

On this day, Cyrienne prepares the camp.

On two of the following days, she prepares the camp as well.

On two other days, she helps Mariposa hunting, if Mari lets her.

Name
Conceal the Camp - Deception
1d20+4 12
Mystery Blank d20
1d20 15
Initiative
1d20+3 1
Conceal Camp (Day 1) - Deception
1d20+4 16
Conceal Camp (Day 2) - Deception
1d20+4 16

spacer.pngDanuše

"I agree, we should take the boats; it may be safer though does our course follow the river? At least part way?" Danuše says, leaving out that she has never handled a boat before and is not certain she could now. She makes herself generally useful, foraging, helping set up and conceal the camp, cooking, or whatever else is needed.

Name
Mystery Die
1d20 17

CGncsio.pngNajya

Features

IC

Najya is not fond of water, despite Mari's playful games in the river a few days past. Too often, water has brought with it illness or other hazards. And too often Najya has been disproportionately affected. When mention is made of taking the boats, the monk makes no outward reaction, but internally she frowns. She has no experience on boats, and every reason to be wary of more exposure to the water.

However, it is not her place to object. If this is the most expedient method to reach their goal, she is bound by oath to support it. With luck, the journey will be quick and deliver them to this oracle, who will in turn direct them toward the source of the undead plague. Any price is worth paying if it means eradicating that corruption.

And so Najya sets herself to supporting the others as they make the necessary preparations.

OOC

I'll roll some Survival to help establish camps, some Perception to be ever vigilant, and the mystery d20.

Name
Survival
1d20+4 12
Perception
1d20+4 3
Mystery
1d20 20

Mariposa-removebg-preview.png.1c1b2e8df2cb5abe5fea4acba3ffccca.pngMariposa

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 (Shield) | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Druidic, Elvish, Sylvan

The arrival of the Axebeak family earned a gasp of delight from the playful Fey. "Yes, dear Sunset is right, my friend. You should go home to your family. I am so very sorry that we are unable to play right now; our duty calls to us. We will save your jungle from those stinky, stumbling undead -- do not worry!" She hugs the Axebeak close before releasing it to return back to its kin. "I wish I could know your name. Never again will this foolish Faun forget to remember the rhyme of rhetoric. Farewell, friend!" She waved energetically towards the Axebeaks as they departed, and the smile that came with a good deed done did not leave her face for the entire night.

The others made their suggestions of possibly traveling by boat and Mariposa moved up next to Najya as the discussion continued, "Oh, isn't it wonderful?" Her arm slips around Najya's shoulder and she attempts to pull the deadly Monk into a sideways embrace. "We might be traveling along the river! You will have to make me a promise that we will race again -- like we did before. I do so enjoy our games. Such things are necessary to keep a positive mindset when surrounded by so much deadened dreams and frowning faces." If the monk did not avoid her embrace, the Fuan swayed back and forth with her arms wrapped around Najya while making affectionate grunts.

Due to the day's events, Mari was unable to take the form of a panther for her hunting expedition, so she was thankful for Cyrienne's help. She showed her gratitude as she often did: through affectionate touching and hugs. Yet, when they were amongst the trees and darkness, even in her humanoid form Mari slunk through the brush and canopy like a feline all the same. Only the gleam of her feral, color-shifting eyes were apparent in the darkness. Her prey did not see them before it was all too late.

The timeless Fey showed her thankfulness once more for the improvements that Cyrienne always sought to make for their camp. Beauty should be appreciated, and Mari was all to eager to appreciate the others. In the night, she practiced new rhymes, riddles, and incoherent poetry for her spells, ever ready for the coming dangers of the next day. But before she decided to lay down for rest, she sidled up next to Danuse and sat uncomfortably close to the woman as she kept watch. "Hi!" She said enthusiastically and paused far too long after to be considered anything less than awkward. "While we were wandering, I was wondering: Do you miss your home? Does it call to you in your dreams, like mine does for me? Oh, how I would love to visit your dreams sometime, if you would welcome me into your subconscious." Her smile faltered, if only for a moment. "Even if I am unwelcome, I have found that traveling together for some time can cause me to pop in for a visit unexpectedly. Please do not be alarmed if you dream of me! I will try my hardest to be unintrusive." Her eyes flickered a multitude of colors before finally settling on a bright cyan. "It is not on purpose, mostly."

OoC

Rolling Initiative, Survival for hunting, and preparing new spells!

If we are covering the full four days, I may roll another survival to see if I can find some helpful plants/herbs for concocting potions! I would be able to Wild Shape over that time, so I am hoping I can get advantage by turning into a creature with a good sense of smell for plants.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+3 16
Survival (Hunting)
1d20+6 10
Survival (Herbs)
1d20+6 4
Possible advantage on Herb foraging
1d20+6 3

The axe beak looks at Mariposa and Cyrienne, curiously moving its head about as it determines what to do: and then, given permission, it starts to walk away, looks at them, then charges off into the underbrush, warking to its family. They return the cry and there is a thundering towards it: and then happy cries, that slowly get further and further away. Eku grins. "You did good... though I admit I almost wanted to keep the little bugger. But a wild axebeak is a hard thing to break."

Story snorts. "This is true. One almost bit my paw off."

Cora openly sniffles. "I wanted to ride it!"

Preparations are made to change their mode of travel, following the river while in the river. They have two boats, and limited room for the group: but they can fit, they discover, if tightly. They make camp, not far from Camp Righteous and still in its sights, the boats in the docks still. Beacon is quiet, and Cora is quiet, the latter of which is odd: but Story returns to music, giving ambience for the night before they get back to their explorations, towards a greater goal. It is a night of rest and reflection, well-made by the campers and well-hidden especially, and Eku ponders aloud.

"Mbala is a sheer cliff. We will need to plot a way to get us all safely up the wall... I do not think any of us have gear for such a climb? Story will of course be easy up the way, and Najya, your strange grip powers will too... but the rest of us, it is a dangerous climb. I know a village sat there at the base once... perhaps it still does."

17th Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

6 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DRspacer.png

They shift into two groups, with Eku leading the first boat with deft guidance. For most, this is their first river expedition, and learning the finer points of using an oar and going with the current, against the current, around rapids and rocks, is new. Each boat has two oars, with an additional oar available for either boat should they need it, allowing them to move quickly and change who is rowing. The heat above is unbearable where the canopy does not cover for them, but the trip seems quicker overall, if more exhausting.

They see fauna and flora from a new perspective, animals not fleeing from them as they trample through the jungle: thunder lizards, mammals, and birds regard them with curiosity, and fish and aquatic creatures move about them. There are river otters, moving like gangs and fighting over territory against monkeys. There are whole flocks of birds nesting in trees, so heavy the tree heaves at their weight.

And there are crocodiles, too.

Curious as to the boats, they bump into them a few times, but never with anything but curiosity. Eku does not disturb them but smiles at them.

Near dusk, on the eastern bank, a group of dozens of undead hobbles by, zombies mindlessly following something they've injured, from the fresh blood on their face. It is large and roars, unhappy, and at the front of the group is something with intelligent eyes: it looks at them, hisses, and disappears into the underbrush, too hungry to pursue. Eku frowns.

"That could be us, if we'd gone by foot," regards Beacon.

They camp on the western bank for safety, boats tied carefully, and Mariposa providing a wonderful meal. Conversation is as potent as it was on the river, with Mariposa asking Danuše of her past. Beacon and Cora, too, seem to be chatting more casually and freely. Story, playing his music, regards this with a smile.

Time and tide, always.

18th Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

7 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DRspacer.png

The winding river takes them further, farther, faster. They catch a herd of parasaurolophii, duck-billed thunder lizards lounging in the shallows of the river, no crocodiles in sight; one comes within ten feet of the boats, curious, before being called back by its herd mates.

Travel by bought is luxurious at the best of times, but it does not provide them much in the way of cover, nor security Najya might require against the flow of water. It is she who hears them first.

The movement in the sky is fast, furious, and then comes back. Three shapes, winged, fly around them, as if humanoid and at once avian. Angels, Cyrienne's mind wonders: but no. Story gasps. "Aarakocra!"

Eku stands on the front boat, whistles with her fingers, then cries out in Chultan, before switching to Common. "Koorr, you flying dog! What news of Kir Sabal?"

A cry like an eagle, and the three aarakocra land on the beach nearby; Eku directs everyone to steer to the side and beach the boats, exits her own, and embraces the three bird-like humanoids, dressed in loose robes and carrying spears each one: she places her forehead on each one's forehead, coming within inches of their massive beaks.

"Eku, my old friend. It has been years since I have seen you. How goes your journeys?"

Eku smiles and puts her hand to the group. "Good, though more dire of late. These are my companions, here on behalf of Syndra Silvane, whom I believe your mistress is acquainted with."

Koorr regards each of them in turn, bowing. "I am Koorr of Kir Sabal, and friend to Syndra Silvane. You must be her latest expedition: how does your journey into the jungles? Coming to find a cure for the Death Curse that affects us all?"

Story speaks up. "Indeed; you have met our predecessors?"

Koorr nods solemnly. "A fair few; one came to our bastion on the other side of the peninsula from here. They... did not make it far from us before they were overtaken by something. A pity. But come, tell me of yourselves: who are you, and what do you think of Chult so far? And will you come to Kir Sabal, and take counsel with Lady Asharra? Or are you going to horror of a camp that those religious interlopers have set up?"

Eku advises. "Kir Sabal is the aarakocra bastion more than a tenday's journey from here. Not a bad choice, but it will not get us to our destination if we seek the oracle. Still, Asharra is a wise woman herself and we would be fools to deny the chance to meet with her." At the mention of "religious interlopers," Eku brightens up. "Survivors?"

19th Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

8 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DRspacer.png

Yesterday's excitement was a wonder, but every day brings with it new adventures.

They trek further southwest, and soon the walls of Mbala are becoming clear: a massive plateau lurks in the distance, and beyond it, white-peaked mountains. At this distance, Eku has clearly understated its size: it is massive, huge, and terrifying all at once.

The river becomes more shallow, and not for the first time, the group must disembark from the boats and begin to pull them across rocky shoals, a refreshing relief from rowing and the constant j-strokes.

Yet this comes at a cost: from the jungle comes a not small group, with seven Chultan warriors in loose robes and bird feathers leading a group of northerners, clearly dressed from Faerûn: a human man leads a dwarven mage, their beard shaved; a black-feathered kenku with a monocle and a scar on her beak; and a halfling carrying a pack of what looks like riches. The human man, tall and well-built, carries an impressive mace, and on his left arm squirms a green snake with wings.

Story immediately bristles. "Zhentarim. The Black Network. Slavers, thugs, and assassins who are only ever out for themselves."

Cora snorts. "Oh I know who they are. We've got trouble with them on the streets of Waterdeep, we do. Still, out here, not much of a threat, are they?"

Story growls. "Depends on if they think you're worth the price."

The leader moves past the seven Chultan warriors and hails the group, waving before wiping sweat from his brow. "Well-met and salutitatoriations! Me name's Pender of Parnast 't is, 'nd these 're my new friends. Can't say their names, won't try none, but these are my friends Brikk, Peck, and Snarknose. Say 'ello, Snarknose."

The halfling regards Cora cooly. "'ello, Snarknose."

"We was just passin' through. Hired to find a fella by th' name o' Artus Cimber, and from the descripterons, nones of you lots are even close. Travels with a funny-lookin' dragonborn fella, except he ain't no dragonborn. Got somethin' that'll fetch a pretty price. You ain't happening to have seen such a fella, has ya?"

Eku's smile is polite, but her eyes flicker something beneath them. "We know nothing of such a man, thanks. Just out here to find a man, are we?"

Pender grins, his crooked teeth revealing a premolar made of silver. "Well, you're out in mighty Chult, migh' as well take in th' sights and sites, eh? Found us a burial, real recent. Religious types. Walked away with some fancy goods, think we'll get a fair shake'o'em back in Port Nyanzaru. Headed that way." He whistles, his companions carrying on to the other bank. Only Brikk holds back, pondering his orb, but the message is clear: Pender of the Zhentarim has no interest in making money or dead bodies off of them. He seems genuinely friendly, in fact. "Say, wot brings you lot this far down deep into Chult? I see a few o' yous lookin' like you're from Faerûn, like us."

The serpent moves, hissing a bit as it studies the group; Pender scratches underneath the serpent's chin, and it reacts very pleased with the affection.

Out of Character

I've opted for role-playing based on the results you lot garnered. Respond to the two situations as you like, mine them for information, potentially start fights as you see fit. Role-play with one another, the situations, what have you. Feel free to start a fight as you like.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Description Cyrienne is a fiery wood elf maiden, with blazing red curls and expressive emerald eyes, and sharp cut features. She is naturally curvier than most elves, but not excessively so.

Statblock

Immunities/Resistances

HD 3/3d8HP 15/15 | Warding Flare ☐☐ | Channel Divinity  | Arrows 20/20 | Spell Slots I: ☒☒☐☐ II:

Cyrienne was one to use her beauty to avoid arduous work. Given that there were three boats, which worked best when two of the same height were rowing at the same time, it didn't seem possible to dodge rowing entirely, so she tried to get onto a boat with Mariposa.

She had idly dipped her hand into the water when remembered the crocodiles. Thus, she also remained careful to not extend over the boundaries of their little shell, and while she remained careful, she relaxed a little as soon as she saw that there was no immediate danger.

“Mari…” she wondered but stopped herself for a moment to enjoy the fey’s beauty before she continued: “Could you ask the crocodiles for new on the river? Any unusually good prey that recently tried to cross, or prey that was already rotten but still moved?”

OOC

Even though it's a little late now, Cyrienne prepares "Enhance Ability" instead of "Spiritual Weapon" after this day.

With the spell prepared on the second day, Cyrienne spoke the spell to enhance their strength on Mariposa and herself twice, giving them a boost for an hour and Cyrienne’s jumped in pace, which enabled them to scout ahead.

Cyrienne was indeed taken in by the creatures aarakocra. “It must have been my goddess that led us to you,” she mused towards Koor, “for I serve Sune, the goddess of beauty.” She curtseyed towards him. “We were indeed sent by Syndra and while the task remains, I would rather remain and be a creature of the jungle, if the jungle will have me. If our predecessors made an expedition from Kir Sabal, we should find out what they were afters in time – not to mention that I’d love to see your city. For now, we’d like to make camp nearby, if you were willing to join us?” Hopefully, she could somehow acquire the ability to fly at least temporarily by then.

“If there are survivors of the Flaming Fist, we’d like to talk to them. They witnessed an undead attack; maybe they saw something that gives us a clue to whence this necromancy originates. If it’s not too much of a detour, I’d very much like to talk to them. What makes their camp so horrifying?” She wondered.

If there was a young female amongst the aarakocra, Cyrienne tried to remember exactly how she was dressed. She might incorporate some aarakocra features into the self-made jungle dress she had been creating and modifying in her free time during the recent weeks. She might also remove any feathers – the aarakocra found it weird to decorate oneself with somebody else’s feathers.

She did whatever she could to befriend the aarakocra and learn more of the culture, plus whether they had any relations to fey or elves in Chult. If it was at all possible without wings, she’d love to learn their dances.

OOC

Cyrienen tries to befriend the Aarakocra.

As much as Cyrienne had loved meeting the aarakocra, she could have done without the Zentharim. “We’ll let you know if we meet them,” Cyrienne spoke in the flighty tone of a vain noblewoman as she lied to them, “assuming that you can provide us with something of value – like magic that will keep this jungle and its creature from bothering me – I am sure we’ll come to a deal. Anything more you can tell us about him? In fact, might we see those good you mentioned? If there is anything of interest, we might save you the trouble of taking it to Port Nyenzaru.”

OOC

Cyrienne tries to lie to them, get more information on the guy and the not-dragonborn they're looking for and see what they managed to steal, in hopes it might give us a clue on what's going on.

Name
Diplomacy - Befriend the Aarakocra
1d20+4 1
Deception - Lie to the Zentharim to make the Talk
1d20+4 10