Chapter III: Death in the Jungle

Gregorotto

Mariposa-removebg-preview.png.1c1b2e8df2cb5abe5fea4acba3ffccca.pngMariposa

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 (Shield) | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Druidic, Elvish, Sylvan

17th Day

As with most things, Mariposa was elated to be traveling upon the water. She helped with rowing when she was needed, with only a few postive-skewed complaints throughout the experiences. With Cyrienne's request to speak to the local fauna, Mari once more displayed an overabundance of excitement at the chance to fulfill her desires. "Of course! It is as if I have been dangling by a thread, awaiting the moment you might ask of me such a thing, so that I might finally fall into my most natural place." She smiled brightly at the priestess before moving to the edge of the boat, grasping the raised railings, and staring directly at the toothy reptiles. After a long moment, her eyes grew distant and her shoulders slumped, as if she might have been caught within a state of semi-consciousness. A light, lilac haze surrounded her, as if she had been wrapped in an ethereal wedding veil. She whispered a limerick with a catchy rhythm, even if the words sounded foreign.

The beautiful and enchanting scene was interrupted by a growling grunt that escaped from between her lips; a grunt that was as low in pitch as it was harsh in tone. In the alligators' native tongue, she spoke thusly, "Hello, my beautiful, hard-scaled long-bodies. This day, so beautiful in how it is wet. We -- friends -- are not-foods. Do you know of tales croaked across the water's surface of yes-food two-legging nearby? What of yes-food but smelly? They stumble, so it is. Know this?" Suddenly drawn from the trance, Mari brushed her silvery hair back and anxiously tugged on one of the branching antlers that sprouted from the side of her head. Speaking once more in common she said, "It has been quite a bit of time since I have spoken in the reptile tongue. I hope I got it right..."

18th Day

The arrival of the Aarakocra earns gasps of wonder and amazement from the Faun. She had heard of such beings, but had not actually seen them in her life. Or at least she didn't think she had seen them before. Her life back home in the Feywild seemed so distant. Almost like a dream. How long had she been in this mirror world? How long had it been since she had seen her mother? Surely more than a week, but less than a millennia. Why were her thoughts of home so foggy?

These are the types of thoughts that Mari might have had were she not so enthralled and distracted by the Aarakocra. "Oh dear Eku, is there a single being in these jungles that does not know and love you? It is enough to make a Faun jealous." Mariposa coyly twirled a lock of hair between her fingers and blinked alluringly at their guide. Although the display is ruined by a sudden burst of laughter from the Fey and an immediate distraction from the conversation topic as she stared with renewed envy at the Arrakocra's fashion choices.

If the newcomers joined them in their camp for the night, Mari spent most of the evening bouncing between groups and conversations. She wanted to know more of their culture, but she also wanted to learn of their fashion with Cyrienne, and -- oh, would it be offensive to change into a bird so that she might fly with them? She does not know, but also does not hesitate to ask blatantly, with neither veiled nor whispered words.

19th Day

Mari's smile faded (perhaps for the first time in three days) at the mention of slavery. It brought back memories of her first days within the material plane. She had been captured by ne'er-do-wells as a prize for...someone that she could not recall. Were these individuals apart of the same group of ne'er-do-wells? She did not recognize the Z-name that Eku had said. She had only picked up on one thing that had upset her. And Mariposa had never been the type to defer to tactfulness when she was perturbed. Cyrienne had approached the matter with guile and wit. Mariposa perhaps may have immediately countered such wit with a blunt word or two, "Hello to you and your very-scarred friends. Oh by the forests' leaves, another bird person! Hi!" She waved enthusiastically, then seemed to suddenly recall that word, 'slavery', and her smile faded once more. "Some of us are from Faerun, yes. We have come to stop evil in its tracks, wherever we might find it. I have heard a word. This word tells me that you capture people and things and claim them as your own. Why do you do such things? Please stop doing that. How would you like it if someone captured you and forced you to work for no money? Or took your things and claimed them as theirs? Not very much, I think." The Faun placed her hands on her hips, as if she might be lecturing a child. "Whoever it is you are searching for, I do not think it would be very nice of us to help you catch them." It is truly unclear whether the Faun was being deceptive or if she had actually forgotten that such an individual had been described to her in the past by Eku. But those who knew of Fey also knew that lying was not exactly a strong talent of theirs...

OoC

For the first day of travel, Mari is casting Speak with Animals (thanks to my new feat!) and will try to persuade the Alligators to give them information.

For the second day, Mari is just going to roll a general charisma check to make friends with the local Aarakocra. She isn't a focused enough individual to actually try to gain information on purpose, but if she learns something then all the better.

For the third day -- yes -- another persuasion check to try and convince these thugs to stop being bad. It should be easy, right??

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Alligator Persusion
1d20+3 3
Aarakocra Alignment
1d20+1 7
Bad Guy Berating
1d20+3 5

spacer.pngDanuše

| Changeling Rogue/Warlock | Level 1/1 | AC 14, HP: 10/10 | CG | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 12  |

|  Passive Investigation: 13  | Spell Save DC:  13  |  Spell Attack Modifier:  +5 | Spd: 30 feet

Day 17, Before departure on the boats

Danuše looks a Mariposa gravely. "I would not enter my dreams if I could and urge you to not stray," she says with a touch of sadness and a hint of panic. "I made a pact with an ancient being, it was that or death at the hands of the pirates, and it whispers to me in my dreams," she adds. Then with a sudden wistful smiles, she says, "I would love to leave me dreams for a while and frolic in yours, if that were possible." Of her home she remains silent.

Day 18, meeting with the Aarackora

Danuše watches the aarakora with fascination and wonder, walking around them to see all sides and angles, and of course greeting them politely in her own way. At the mention of religious interlopers she becomes more serious, a seething undercurrent. "What religious interlopers? Which cult?" she asks them.

Day 19, The Zentarum

Danuše doesn't exactly hide, but steps to the back of the group where she is better obscured from the view of the Zentarum group. As they seem to be, momentarily, non-hostile she makes every effort to remain silent and unassuming. In another place or time, things might well be different. But at the moment, discretion was key if they were to stay on course.

CGncsio.pngNajya

HP:   41/41

AC:   16

Init:  +3

PP:   15

Speed:  45

Ki:  4/4

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Unarmored DefenseMartial ArtsKiUnarmored MovementTouch of Death, Slow FallBeginning at 4th level, you can use your reaction when you fall to reduce any falling damage you take by an amount equal to five times your monk level.

Tools:  Alchemist's Supplies

Languages:  Common, Sign Language, Alzhedo, Chultan

Weapons & Armors:  Simple Weapons, Shortswords

Feats:  none

Racial & Background:  Deathless NatureSpider ClimbVampiric BiteShelter of the Faithful

IC

Day 17

Najya does not make complaint of her dislike for their travel by water, but anyone can intuit her discomfort. She operates the oars when instructed to, but otherwise keeps to the center of the craft. She lets her hood cover her face near completely, blocking the caustic sunlight bouncing off the river's surface. She only emerges from this state when it is her turn to man the oars, and then briefly when the undead are sighted.

Day 18

The next day, when the group encounters the aarakocra, Najya stands quietly in the back, watching them for any signs of ill will or aggression. Not seeing any, she allows the others to negotiate hospitality. Faced with the choice between the oracle and the leader of these bird folk, Najya can think of only one question that might sway them to change course. She signs:

image.png.463cd7cb76adf1a5cf81d5194fe3f26d.png

The monk would happily accept the wisdom of these aarakocra if they've been contending with a surge in numbers. If not, it seems an unnecessary distraction from what matters.

Day 19

On the third day, Najya again lets Cyrienne and Mariposa do the talking as they encounter the slavers. She doesn't categorize them as such, of course, because she is and has always been a servant herself. She does not understand the undercurrent of distaste that colors the words offered by her companions. And in a lull in the conversation, she signs:

image.png.337569f2d4d466f120cd7a96f5abec89.png

image.png.12cc8bf64799f6109399e2a7846f0320.png

As far as Najya understands, it is a common and acceptable practice for some individuals, such as herself, to serve at the whims of others. If these men partake in acquiring such individuals, then they are little different from her masters back at the temple. Even now, she serves her companions without question or care for her own wellbeing. This is her purpose, and had she not been given it, she would be nothing.

OOC

Sorry for the delay. I'm trying to catch up.

Edited by emotionaut (see edit history)

Day 17: Crocodiles & Tears

Cyrienne has a wild idea: her bosom buddy can speak to animals, yes? So speak to them! The crocodiles show interest in them, why not show it back and talk their way out of this?

Story watches intently as Mariposa casts the spell and begins speaking, her grunts enough to cause ripples in the water. A trio of crocodiles move closer, confused and interested: that much she can tell.

"The she-thing speaks like us! And has trees growing out of her head!"

"Those are bones, fish-brain! Like the antelope-of-four-yes-eat."

"Greetings, she of two legs. I am Kemet. These are Na'fet and Abd-el-Nak, my clutchmates. It has been many moons of full pearl since we have spoken to one of two legs: we mark this day as joyous in your arrival, sister of two legs." All three open their jaws for three seconds, before snapping them shut, creating a burst of water: a sign of respect.

"Says she is not food, and friends are not food: but look at tiny she-of-pink-fur-and-two-legs!" Na'fet gurgles in the water.

Abd-el-Nak gurgles too, but more hurriedly. "Look at the one of sun-fire-hair-of-two-legs: it will hurt us if we eat. I think she is right. They are friends."

Kemet agrees. "Let us answer her why-speaks, and part as friends in mind and memory. We hear things, yes. You speak of the dead-flesh-that-rots, poor for stomach and terrible. Not always of two legs: some of four, some of three, some of one. Never good. We see them, yes. We eat them, but never good for us. They chase two of two legs, three sun-less times since. Cross water. We eat dead things, rotting things, but never quick enough to catch two of two legs. One smell like your friends, but the other.... speaks with smells. Smelled of fear. Smelled of sweat and blood."

Na'fet speaks up. "I would have eaten them both, even with smell-speak."

Grunts of agreement from all parties.

"Large settlement down river settled. Many dead things come to rocks of wood, and there run into sharpened rocks of wood. Terrible place. We do not go." More grunts.

"Whence do you come? You are of two legs and flesh, but legs not like arms. No fur there. And bones on head!"

"Could eat, could find out."

"Abd-el-Nak! We will rend your hide!" 

The two bump their companion with their nose, and Abd-el-Nak opens his jaw before speeding off into the water.

"Troubling times, she friend of two legs. Keep your land legs strong, but your tail stronger." The two open their mouth, and then sink into the water.

Story gasps. "Fascinating, friend Mariposa. What did they say?"

Day 18: Birds of a Feather

At Mariposa's comment, Eku laughs, shaking her head. "More than I can count, dear girl. My friends I keep close: but my enemies are many and ancient."

To Cyrienne's point, they shake their head, unmoved by the curiosity of the group. "We must keep flying: we are expected by Teacher Asharra. It will take another full day of flight to arrive on time. But we will sit with you for a moment, to regain our strength. Perhaps it is fate, Heartwarden." And so, while they do not camp for the night, they do give an hour to answering questions and revealing wisdom.

"Your predecessors came seeking knowledge from Teacher Asharra, and they received it. But they also met our true foes." Story translates Najya's question, and they continue. "The Pterafolk, terrible reptilian flyers, are the only true threat we face: there is no way for most undead to scale the sheer cliffs of Kir Sabal, and we have let the walking paths deteriorate. The few who climb, we deal with accordingly. So no undead, at least, not to us... below us, the River Olung blocks much of the undead hordes from crossing over to us." To the question about what cultists, what gods, are worshipped in this place, the aarakocra consider carefully. Then, Koorr speaks up. "Many of your northern gods. The Wind Dukes of Aaqa were not among them: but I saw signs of many gods, not of this land. Not Ubtao, who has abandoned many of his people. But we have not: we keep the hope of Chult alive."

Eku furrows her brow. "What do you mean, Koorr?"

The aarakocra smiles. "Come to Kir Sabal. You will see."

Barring no further questions, they head on their way.

This comment seems to trouble Eku, despite their being her friend. Story's tail flicks at this, uncertain.

Day 19: Enslaved to Greed

As the conversation progresses, Story signs something to Najya, showing just how far he has come with regards to learning her language and guaranteeing she has someone who can sign to her as well.

spacer.png

Pender of Parnast grins at Cyrienne's proposition, then shakes his head. "No deal, luv, we'll find'em in our own time. Love t' make a team wit'a, but don' even know yer name. 'nfortunately, luv, this jungle's never gonna give up its ghosts, so t' speak. Reckon it'll take a right god to get rid o' these undead: and these here fellas agree," he indicates the armed warriors behind him. When Mariposa chimes in, Pender gives a hearty laugh, as do the dwarf, kenku, and two Chultan warriors. "Oh, sweet'eart, we aren't out here slavin'; you see those fellas back there? They'd have my hide for it, 'nd they know it. Better to raid graves here instead of havin' the whole of the Chultan population at me heels. Bu' ain't gonna stop us in the long-run. Price is too high: take yer argument to the buyers, 'ncluding Port Nyanzaru." He shakes his head. The attempt to make an impression has failed utterly. Story's tail does not move at all, a poor sign in the larger scheme of things, while Cora's face is scornful, her fingers twiddling with her scabbard's strap in order to stop herself from drawing her blade.

The Zhentarim agent salutes. "Well, we need t' be headin' out. Nice chattin' wit'cha: hope ye find what yer lookin' for. And if ye see that fella 'nd his scaly friend? Tell'em the Zhents are comin' t' finish wot th' 'arpers couldn't." With that they head on, but before they do, Eku stops two of the warriors, breaking into a low tenor of Chultan to ask them questions. Story listens, his Chultan rusty, and when they finish tersely, Eku comes back, as the Zhentarim heads onward.

"What did they say?"

"They agreed to this to make sure the Black Network doesn't raid any sites of note, and if they tried to, they would kill them. Reassuring, but troubling all at once." She sighs. "Let us head onward, and see if we can find this dangerous camp the crocodiles and aarakocra told us of. Seems even the Zhentarim knows of this strange new camp."

Out of Character

We can keep roleplaying these scenes with questions, but feel free to roll for tonight and tomorrow: then we'll get to the meat of things and maybe some shiny new things.

CGncsio.pngNajya

Features

Class Features:  Unarmored DefenseMartial ArtsKiUnarmored MovementTouch of Death, Slow Fall

Racial & Background:  Deathless NatureSpider ClimbVampiric BiteShelter of the Faithful

IC

Najya does not follow all the nuances of what is said through their various conversations. But there is one piece of information that does cause her to perk up. The bird person made mention of the undead being unable to cross the river near their nest. If that's true, then they have effectively determined the source of the horde to be on the opposite side. The monk wastes no time signing to the others:

image.png.6e58bcb13b4a8d7c7dfcccb25643a992.png

image.png.2279d3883634f9cfe1b9a32a6caf8f4d.png

Najya is renewed by this revelation and eager to venture deeper into the jungle. She sets herself to her daily tasks of safeguarding the camp as they make plans to proceed.

OOC

She's just doing her usual Survival and Perception checks to hopefully keep everyone safe.

Name
Survival
1d20+5 9
Perception
1d20+5 20

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Age 129 | Height 5' 11" (1.80m) | Weight 126 lbs. (57kg) | Hair Copper Red | Eyes Emerald Green | Complexion Pale Bronze

Description Cyrienne is a fiery wood elf maiden, with blazing red curls and expressive emerald eyes, and sharp cut features. She is naturally curvier than most elves, but not excessively so.

She wears a green wood elven armour complete with yellow cape. While it is as authentic a wood elf armour as it gets, it does appear to sacrifice some functionality for grace, and some carmouflage for appeal. Nevertheless, it still provides both, along with protection. The silver brooch, which fixates the cloak upon her shoulder, is holy symbol of Sune.

Statblock

Sheet Cyrienne Alenuath | Alignment Chaotic good | Type medium humanoid (elf) | Classes Cleric (Light) 3 | Background Acolyte

Init +3 | AC 15 (leather) | Senses 60' darkvision  | Passive Insight 15; Investigation 9; Perception 15 | Saves Str -1, Dex +3, Con +1, Int -1, Wis +3, Cha +2

Immunities/Resistances

• Adv. on saving throws vs. magical charms
  • Immune to magical sleep effects

Languages  Common, Elvish, Sylvan

HD 3/3d8HP 15/15 | Warding Flare ☐☐ | Channel Divinity  | Arrows 20/20 | Spell Slots I: ☒☒☐☐ II:

Underscored: Replenish on long rest | Italic : Replenish on short or long rest. | Numbers count available resources, not used resources. | "☐" indicates an available resource, "☒" used resource.

Status - |  Effects - | Concentrating on - | Hands Main Longbow, Off Holy Symbol

Durations in rds. denote the remaining rounds after the current one.

Cyrienne Alenuath, Chaotic Good Female Wood Elf Cleric of Sune

After the encounter with the Zentharim, Cyrienne sighed in relief. “Those were Zentharim,” she returned to Najya. “Slavers, information brokers, a more-or-less secret cult that operates everywhere in the Sword Coast region, seeking influence and control. They opposed to everything I stand for and usually consider them enemies. I am glad this didn’t result in a fight; if it wasn’t for you folks, they might have decided to put me in a box and sell me at a market as decorative trophy. Or worse. I’d love to figure out who this Artis Cimber is and what the Harpers want with him. There is no way I am going to sell him out to the Zentharim, though.”

Like Eku, she was eager to finally reach this camp with the survivors.

She focused on hiding the camp and tending her companions equipemnt that night. The following night she went out to hunt.

Name
Perception
1d20+6 10
Survival
1d20+4 2

spacer.pngDanuše

| Changeling Rogue/Warlock | Level 1/1 | AC 14, HP: 10/10 | CG | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 12  |

|  Passive Investigation: 13  | Spell Save DC:  13  |  Spell Attack Modifier:  +5 | Spd: 30 feet

Danuše nods in agreement. "The Aarakora did indeed narrow the search a bit, at least in terms of a direction," she says with a nod to Najya. "The new camp the crocodiles mentioned is the best option I've heard yet. Closer than the others at any rate," she stays quiet about Zhentarim, however.

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 (Shield) | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Druidic, Elvish, Sylvan

17th Day

Mariposa’s expression brightened with each responding croak from the crocodiles. She leaned against the vessel’s edge with her head propped in her hands as the scaled critters conversed, displaying their vibrant personalities. At times, she would croak back, involving herself in the conversation. It never got any easier to accept that the petite, lilac-haired Faun could produce such an odd, unattractive noise. 

“What a fool I am — so much a soft-skinned two-leg to forget my calling name, and to not croak it aloud in song! Mari is my calling, may its croak shake the very water we glide through.” With more practice, she seemed to ease back into the odd language. She even returned the open mouth display of respect, though she seemed embarrassed that she could not cause water to splash outward like they had. Mari even gasped in response to the crocodile’s idea of eating her, and then followed the gasp with a lecturing pose. “Abd-el-Nak! So cheeky, with such sass!” She wiggled her rear end, though the short, cervine tail could not account for the swishing of a crocodile’s tail.  “I am coming from the Feywild! It is a far-away-place, connected by neither river nor marsh. Long walking to going to that place. I am thanking you for the reason of helping us. I will never be forgetting any of you!”

The conversation ended with another swishing of Mari’s tail and a wave of farewell. At Story’s question, Mari turned and let out a resounding croak before quickly covering her hand with her mouth. “Oops! My apologies, my fancy feline friend. They are so sweet and so very funny, I am almost disheartened that you could not understand them. But I will reenact their words for you with specific details!” And so she did, recounting the information provided by the lovely scaled fellows left behind by their venturing vessel.

18th Day

Mari stared at Najya with a narrow-eyed gaze and a slack lower jaw. She still struggled with their protector’s language, no matter how much she enjoyed its physical alphabet. But after a short while, her meaning became clear and the Faun’s eyes lit up with their usual excitement. “How very perceptive, my dearest Eclipse! That is quite the leap towards our goal. We will have this whole messy matter made moot in a mere month!”

At the end of their short visit with the birdfolk, the ill-omened words shared between the Arrakocra and Eku had completely gone over Mari’s head. But even if it hadn’t, there was little that could dampen the Faun’s cheery disposition.

19th Day

Yet, it seemed that there were in fact a few things that could cause Mariposa to frown. The outcome of her incredibly-persuasive (at least in her eyes) argument against the Zhentarim’s actions was one of those things. She had ignorantly laughed along with the thugs at first, but the melodic sound quickly faded when it became obvious that they were laughing at her, instead of with her.

Her brow furrowed and she huffed in annoyance at Pender. Whether or not she noted Cora’s itchy sword hand, Mari had been just as ready to come to blows with these wicked Whims. Were it up to her, she would have left a sizable knot on each of their heads to give them something to think about when they finally woke up. But even she could recognize that most of her friends were not willing to fight here, and putting their lives at risk was not a decision for her to make alone.

Mariposa spent most of their walk throughout the rest of the day complaining about slavers and thieves. Of course, many amongst them could specifically point out that she herself had been a proven thief in the past. But if they were to bring it up, Mari would be more than happy to ‘correct’ them and explain that she, of course, always replaced whatever she took with a gift of equal value. Unfortunately, her scale of value was completely inconceivable. 

Later that night, Mari helped in her own way with setting up their camp, which mostly involved the humming of a foreign-yet-catchy tune while she distractedly flitted about between various half-finished tasks. At some point, Mari sat herself besides Story and stared at him intensely for a long time before finally saying what was on her mind: “Sweet Story, does your heart weigh heavy knowing that those baleful bullies are barreling their way through your jungle? I tried to get them to see the error of their ways, but my tongue did not twist their terrible temperaments.” The Faun laid her head against the Tabaxi’s shoulder and closed her eyes, enjoying the feel of his soft fur against her cheek. “I hope you can forgive this foolish Faun for failing.”

In the late night moonlight, Mariposa whispered her otherworldly limerick and danced with swaying movements before shifting into a panther and taking to the jungle for her nightly hunt. 

OoC

Mari will wild shape into a panther for her nightly hunt.

Name
Panther Prowlin’ (Survival)
1d20+6 11

Day 17: Friends of Fang and Scale

The crocodiles have plenty to say still.

Kemet barks out a greeting, terrifying to the others but to Mariposa in her magical way, completely normal crocodilian behavior. "She of two legs friend is Mari: well-met, Mari of Two Legs. Rare are our conversations with your kith and kin. We savor it, as we savor the flesh of the horned lizard of four legs."

With Abd-el-Nak's sass, Mariposa finds a ready friend, and her wave is met with tantalization, though she cannot tell if it is because they want to eat her or what exactly. Whatever the case, the trio of crocodiles consider her words regarding the Feywild. Naf'et speaks, saying, "I do not know of this place. Perhaps beyond the salt sea. Perhaps further. Is it warm there? Is the game good? The food plenty?"

With their help, the later-duo of crocodiles say their farewells, and Mariposa reveals what they said. "A camp?" ponders Story aloud. "What kind, I wonder?" Eku has a kind of hopeful look in her eye, and a smile grows.

Day 18: Water Wall

Eku nods along at the revelation that the river helps protect the home of the aarakocra from undead, but she clarifies as she can. "It is true, and that may help us narrow it down, but the aarakocra are also safe for several other reasons: they live high on the cliffs in settlements on the rock wall that zombies and most undead cannot reach. It has been long since I have been, so we will have to see. All in due time, I suppose."

Day 19: Baleful Bullies

With the Zhentarim gone, Story's tail continues to flick dangerously, as it becomes clear they are headed to the camp, however close, in light of the aarakocra, the crocodiles, and now, the Zhentarim, whom Cyrienne rightfully fears might have sold her. Eku does not seem so worried, particularly with the assurances of the tribes that none of it would go through, and indeed, the harm caused by the Black Network would be minimal. Cora chimes in, providing some Waterdhevian context. "It's so weird to have to keep yourself quiet here. In Waterdeep I'd have arrested them on the spot and dealt with the whole 'due process' thing later. No good ever comes of those folks."

Mariposa notices the twisting tail of Story and places a head on his shoulder as, later in the day, they make camp. Najya makes it as safe as they can, and as twilight begins to emerge, they note in the distance, up river as they go, there is smoke rising into the air: and not an insubstantial amount. Story notes it, and stares on as Mariposa places her head on his shoulder: the backdrop is there, and the depth in Story's voice is rare. "You failed no one, friend Mariposa. These are not my jungles. Though Chult has changed, it remains the same place, just with a new master. Slaves still exist here: it is merely Chultan hands that take the coins now, instead of Baldurian or Amnish. The jungles will take from the Zhents what they will... but I wonder, as Cyrienne did, what do the Harpers want with this Artus Cimber? What could he have done to engender the interest, if you can call it that, of both the Harpers and the Black Network?"

What indeed?

That night, Mariposa brings home quite a prize: an adolescent hadrosaur, plenty for all.

Day 20: Vengeance

19th Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

9 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DR

They disembark without incident, and it takes them only a few hours, well before midday, to arrive at the source of the smoke.

Through the foliage, up stream they see a crude timber fortification—a walled compound with watchtowers and tents inside it, encircled by a ditch bristling with sharpened stakes. A large gatehouse faces the river, on the shore of which are four rowboats tied to a wooden post. There stand two souls, lookouts of a sort, who will clearly see them as they come.

Scattered around the fort are piles of charred human corpses and flayed animal carcasses swarming with flies. These thunder lizards look as if they have been picked for parts, with flesh left strategically; the human, half-elf, and dwarven corpses range from undead and rotting with wounds to the head or body, or just simply newly dead. The cause is unclear, but their skin tone suggests they are not well.

Eku's face has visibly fallen from the optimism of the last few days.

spacer.png

Out of Character

Welcome to our new locale! Approach as you like, or not at all!

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Age 129 | Height 5' 11" (1.80m) | Weight 126 lbs. (57kg) | Hair Copper Red | Eyes Emerald Green | Complexion Pale Bronze

Description Cyrienne is a fiery wood elf maiden, with blazing red curls and expressive emerald eyes, and sharp cut features. She is naturally curvier than most elves, but not excessively so.

She wears a green wood elven armour complete with yellow cape. While it is as authentic a wood elf armour as it gets, it does appear to sacrifice some functionality for grace, and some carmouflage for appeal. Nevertheless, it still provides both, along with protection. The silver brooch, which fixates the cloak upon her shoulder, is holy symbol of Sune.

Statblock

Sheet Cyrienne Alenuath | Alignment Chaotic good | Type medium humanoid (elf) | Classes Cleric (Light) 3 | Background Acolyte

Init +3 | AC 15 (leather) | Senses 60' darkvision  | Passive Insight 15; Investigation 9; Perception 15 | Saves Str -1, Dex +3, Con +1, Int -1, Wis +3, Cha +2

Immunities/Resistances

HD 3/3d8HP 15/15 | Warding Flare ☐☐ | Channel Divinity  | Arrows 20/20 | Spell Slots I: ☒☒☐☐ II:

Underscored: Replenish on long rest | Italic : Replenish on short or long rest. | Numbers count available resources, not used resources. | "☐" indicates an available resource, "☒" used resource.

Status - |  Effects - | Concentrating on - | Hands Main Longbow, Off Holy Symbol

As the first glimpses of the refugee camp came into sight, Cyrienne looked visibly startled. “We have to figure out whether they need help… let’s approach those lookouts carefully, but not land yet.” Cyrienne signalled with Najya’s hand signs to the other boats.

Then she whispered the formula of a spell, which momentarily engulfed her eyes in a warm green glow as it manifested.

As a priestess, it Cyrienne saw it as her duty to bring hope and beauty back to the pure refugees. It was entirely possible that they were haunted by plague, in which case there was little Cyrienne could do to help the afflicted, but she might be able to help those that weren't infected yet, provide them with safe food and water. However, she didn't like the thought of exposing Mariposa to that amount of danger.

OOC

Cyrienne is speaking 'Detect Poison and Disease'. It has a range of 30 ft, so it's not going to be much help unless we get very close.

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

Mari lifted her head from Story’s shoulder, “I do not know. I can only think of one way to garner so much attention from so many groups. I have noticed that you Whims are very possessive of your items, even when they are not truly yours. If this Artus Cimber has drawn eyes towards him, I think it is most likely that he has taken something that these groups think is theirs. But what, I wonder?” She taps her rounded chin with a long, lilac fingernail thoughtfully. “What is more, I think maybe he has drawn our attention as well. Although, we will be much nicer to him than they will, I would hope.” She paused for a long moment, staring unabashedly at the Tabaxi, before finally responding. “Oh, and dear Story, this jungle is most certainly yours, though no one can truly possess it. It is yours as much as it is anyone else’s that live amongst the trees and trunks. It is yours; it is theirs; it is no one’s. Do you see? Just as you are my friend, but you are not mine. So, when you say this is not your jungle…do you mean that you no longer consider this your home, or that you do not rule it?” Her eyes twinkled curiously, shifting to a verdant green hue.

The arrival at Camp Righteous was not a pleasant one. Upon witnessing the gruesome site, Mariposa frowned deeply and clasped her hands in front of herself. “So much death. There is no beauty in this place.” She turned and gave Cyrienne a sad smile, “Not yet, at least. We shall bring our own beauty. I would be happy to approach and give my greetings to the poor sentries, unless one of you are fearful that I might say something foolish.”

OoC

Alternatively, I can scout as a mouse before we enter if you all prefer!

CGncsio.pngNajya

Features

Class Features:  Unarmored DefenseMartial ArtsKiUnarmored MovementTouch of Death, Slow Fall

IC

When the fortified camp comes into view, Najya's dark eyes narrow. It has become clear to the others that the monk has grown more comfortable in the wild, away from the city. She is in her element when dealing with direct threats to their wellbeing. But people, and their social constructs, still tend to confound her. And this camp appears to be the largest collection of souls they have come across since leaving Port Nyanzaru. She eyes it with suspicion and no small amount of personal dread.

As in all matters, Najya approaches the situation as a threat that needs to be understood and neutralized. Towards understanding, she first suggests:

image.png.524700ea9027c78577de6e04095a0638.png

This is something both she and Mariposa could handle with ease, her with her preternatural climbing ability and Mariposa as a sticky-legged lizard or spider. But this is not the only option. She also signs:

image.png.b9e3f1e7be643fb05224179cc4b86000.png

Likewise, the pair could submerge themselves and creep upstream until close enough to ascertain the natural of those on lookout by the water's edge. If need be, they could spring into action and have the pair subdued before they even knew what hit them. Najya does not need to breath, and Mariposa could adopt the form of any number of aquatic or amphibious creatures.

In the end, however, Najya has only one demand of whatever plan they enact. She signs to Mariposa:

image.png.c36e1b42557ae19bfa08aad9bbf780d8.png

OOC

If we want to take the social approach, Cyrienne or Danuse should probably accompany Mariposa, and Najya would hide nearby ready to strike should things go poorly. If we want to do recon first, Najya and Mariposa make a good pairing. I'll roll Stealth either way, and Perception in case we do recon.

Name
Stealth
1d20+5 19
Perception
1d20+5 14

tbf3e91.jpg

Name: Brigg (Baghtu) | Race/Class: Bugbear Barbarian 3 | HP: 32/32 AC: 14 PP: 12

The day had been a strange one, to say the least, though Brigg was getting used to that. There was a strange smell on the wind today, faint but telling, hidden under layers of rot and pestilence. It whispered of something bigger, beyond perhaps even the Order's immediate problems. Brigg respected the order, but at arm's length. He had no taste for their heavy-handed hierarchy, but he admitted that their hearts seemed to be in the right place. Arguably. Authority could be used for good, were the right people the ones to wield it.

Setting aside general disdain for authority, what mattered to Brigg was that which lie in the hearts of the people he met. The Order of the Gauntlet had begun turning people away even though they needed as much help as they could get. To stay at the camp is a death sentence, it would seem.

A glance up and down the river. There was a boat shored further up the lazy river's bank. It seemed they were about to have visitors. Looking back at the camp, the site was macabre, at best. He sighed, looked over at the Chultan calling himself Brox, and spoke.

"Come. We greet them. If I am alone, they will think I am just some beast that massacred a camp. If they are sick, we send them away." Sending them away in general might be for the best. Either way, he did not wait for the Chultan to try and change his mind. Being indecisive was not something Brigg cared for.

With his maul sheathed, in his mind indicating no ill-intent, he stepped close to the water's edge in full view of the boat, and started slowly waving his long arms above his head.

OOC

Hi gang! Can't wait to work with y'all!

Brigg decides hiding might give the wrong impression and instead becomes the welcoming commitee.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Statblock

Immunities/Resistances

Naturally, Cyrienne panicked when the bugbear waved to them. Her attention torn between Nayja (whom Cyrienne had to watch to listen) and the bugbear by the camp, she winced and hastily looked around for her gear, as well as down her own body. ‘I need to make a perfect first impression and I am barely ready! Where is the light coming from, where should I step into the open so that I am framed by the perfect background?’

To Nayja, the wood elf hastily signalled: “I would love to see you in action, just not this time.” A cheeky glance to Mariposa was supposed to invite the fey to join by the wood elf's side.

She tried to ignore the lighting conditions and moved around the next best tree into the open. Her fingers of her left, even though in armoured gloves, trailed the tree's bark tenderly and she took a moment to take in the beauty of the wild around her, demonstratively united with the wild and alien to the camp. There was a curious, if shy glitter in her eyes when they fell upon the bugbear. She gracefully whipped her hair back reached with her right out to wave back, and, when her hand followed the motion to run though her long red mane, she sung a prayer for a light spell, engulfing the whole of her a soft ambient glow, which in turn blended with her mysterious smile.

Behind her back she signalled in Nayja’s sign language, and primarily directed at Nayja: “Camp ridden with disease though bugbear is healthy.

“Hail! She called out with warmth but also distance in her voice, letting the picture of an elusive wood nymph guide her. We're an expedition of the light, looking to expose the root of all the darkness. Is this the refuge of survivors from the undead attack at Camp Righteous?” She glanced over to the piles of corpses. “If that is so, it would seem, you have escaped the undead, but not the disease they bring. Do you need help?”

OOC

Cyrienne is speaking a light spell, still concentrating a 'Detect Poison and Disease Spell'

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

Mari peered curiously towards the approaching figure, but was immediately distracted by Cyrienne’s antics to ensure she had the most beautiful of first impressions. The light-hearted Faun tilted her head curiously at the priestess, and could not keep herself from giggling appreciatively at how the gorgeous Elf knew exactly how to accentuate and highlight her most attractive aspects. 

Cyrienne made her introduction and Mari casually trotted up next to her while waving unceremoniously. “Hello, furred friend! I am also here! Sunset’s words are as truthful as her beauty!” She smiled brightly, and then attempted to match Cyrienne’s stance, although the outcome was far more awkward than the priestesses’.