Chapter III: Death in the Jungle

Gregorotto

Mariposa's rebuke of the leaders of the Order of the Gauntlet is met with silence, amused from most of them, near offense from the up until now friendly dwarf. None the less, they head onward, promising to do what they can to heal and move things about.

At Najya's suggestion she can "make it quick," Story's tail stops moving entirely. He is not offended, exactly, but apprehensive. Eku nods, realizing it is meant as a mercy, and both listen as Brox explains his background and how he could be useful and how best he can service the group. "That will do. Our guide Eku is interested in destroying all undeath we find, but we otherwise do not seek out conflict without reason. I am curious about your creations, about your relation to the group here and to the temple if you yourself are not a priest, friend Brox. I am also of Port Nyanzaru, though I imagine our circumstances are quite different." The tabaxi Story from the Smoke's tail begins to whip more quickly. Soon it is suggested they split up: Brox and Brigg collect supplies for both the healing and for the trip, and the rest either explore or go to the medical tent. Eku divides the duo up. "I will go with Brox and Brigg, explain our general purpose more clearly; Story, go with Cyrienne and Mariposa into the medical tent. See if you can soothe with your cat-like grace." Story frowns at this, but obeys.

Najya gets a sense of things around camp. Those not being observed are aloof, but exhausted; those being observed are hypervigilant, terrified of being caught doing something wrong. There's almost nowhere to hide things, almost nowhere to have any privacy. This place is as much a prison as it is a refuge.spacer.png

Beacon and Cora join them, heading to the medical tent, wanting to get a sense of how many are safe to take with them.

The tent is dark, the smell miserable and putrid, that of death and disease: it is the single worst smell in the camp. Three attendants treat six patients overall, with two more under sheets, recently dead. Dressed in soiled white robes, the leader, a tattooed half-elf with bushy hair and sallow eyes, comes closer, her arms bound in red string, an immediate tell to Cyrienne that this is a priestess of the Suffering God, Ilmater. She pulls back her hood, coughs, and bows.

"Wish the circumstances were better, but I am Sister Cyas, of Ilmater. Who among you needs treatment, newcomers? You all look well."

It is Beacon that speaks up. "None of us, and quite the contrary. We're newcomers and we've reached an accord with Commander Breakbone: we'll take what sick can be taken to Port Nyanzaru, and our associates Cyrienne and Mariposa have come to see if they can help with the sick or dying."

Sister Cyas' eyes light up, flashing unnaturally as a halo appears above her head: she is not a half-elf after all. "By all means: whatever you need, please help. If you can save even one of our patients, you'll be doing better than the Commander ever could." Here, Najya notes nothing out of place, but the despair and discomfort on the faces of the two assistant healers is quite obvious even to her. The sick here have few wounds, and most of them are ill. Two are near death: she can offer them a kind of mercy, but will Sister Cyas allow it?

spacer.pngElsewhere, Brox and Brigg speak to one another in private while Eku gathers what she assumes are needed supplies. In time the healing supplies are sent to the field hospital, and Eku explains in more detail what they are doing. "We are headed to Orolunga, to seek the oracle there. She is hidden to most, and I know of her, but we have never met. Her wisdom will tell us where we can find the source of the Death Curse that wracks our world, and how we can stop it. That is the purpose of their expedition, straight-forwardly. We have many options. In truth, we've encountered the Zhentarim, so I suspect there will be other groups interested in finding the truth here in Chult... or at least, finding what they seek. if you two are to join our expedition, it would be in your best interest to know things. Brox, your technological knowledge will be useful: we've encountered fanciful traps in ruins that we will inevitably find again. As for you, Brigg, you seem to be of this land: I can tell from your clothes and comfort in general. This is your land, too. It is in all of our interests to end this curse and the threats herein."

Whatever the case, at mess that night she brings out the map, as the group reunites, so they can discuss their plans.

"We head westward, towards Orolunga. Unfortunately, there is a ledge, a massive cliff, that gets in our way. No longer will we need the boats, for they will not take us there: the river ends here, at the Aldani Basin, a day's walk from here. Four days through the jungle or five around it, we will arrive at Mbala, which takes us upward a thousand feet. It will be dangerous: we will need to be clever or we run the risk of falling to our dooms. Then, it is a straight shot westward to Orolunga. Or.... there is another way."

She moves her finger down the map., following the River Tath, as the map says. "The other place we can cross is the Gorge of Death, Ataaz Kahakla. It has signs of ages past, terrible beasts but also great beauty. Hard to cross, but not as dangerous as Mbala's heights. It is a longer trek through the jungle, and we might require boats if we want to follow the river, but I leave the choice to you all." And she does.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

CGncsio.pngNajya

HP:   41/41

AC:   16

Init:  +3

PP:   15

Speed:  45

Ki:  4/4

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Unarmored DefenseMartial ArtsKiUnarmored MovementTouch of Death, Slow Fall

Tools:  Alchemist's Supplies

Languages:  Common, Sign Language, Alzhedo, Chultan

Weapons & Armors:  Simple Weapons, Shortswords

Feats:  none

Racial & Background:  Deathless NatureSpider ClimbVampiric BiteShelter of the Faithful

IC

When it comes time to study the map, Najya stands clear. It is not her place to participate in the planning of such things. However, when mention is made of one route involving a steep climb, she does not hesitate to remind everyone of her skill in this regard. She signs:

image.png.17498f871e195f70fbf96e37f96255ea.png

image.png.b8519a43041a8c97207168437364549d.png

That is assuming, of course, that adequate climbing gear can be found here in the camp.

OOC

If we've acquired any money since starting, I don't think I ever noted it down. But it's also possible we haven't found any? If so, I am willing to put in my entire 15 gold toward a climber's kit and rope. A kit is 25, and rope is 1 / 50 ft.

Mariposa-removebg-preview.png.1c1b2e8df2cb5abe5fea4acba3ffccca.pngMariposa

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 (Shield) | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Druidic, Elvish, Sylvan

Mariposa smiles brightly as Sister Cyas’ halo casts a heavenly glow across the Faun’s features. “How very pretty! I am tempted to touch it, but I have been told that my love for touching things that are curious could get me into trouble…” She trails off with a thoughtful expression on her face, but after a long pause she finishes with a grin, “…which is why I have to touch it.” She does, though there may not even be anything tangible to touch. But once the distraction passes, Mariposa goes about the business of healing those that she is able, and comforting those that she is not. Sometimes, the latter would take the form of a series of jokes and puns from her homeland, only some of which actually land. Other times, it was a short, inspiring melody played on her pan flute. 

Once the work is done, Mariposa exits the medical tent with Cyrienne, but not before insisting that Sister Cyas enjoys an embrace from her. “You work so very hard. I do not know much of your faith, but I am certain that this ‘Ilmater’ would not want you to suffer. Do not overwork yourself, silly Sister, get some rest. I will return periodically to ensure you are able to get a break.” 

Later, as they looked over the map, Mariposa is mostly paying attention; she is only distracted for short periods of time by a buzzing insect that seems to have taken a liking to her. “Mmmbala! I like the name of this place, it strums a joyful chord on my heartstrings. But dear Eclipse is correct. Between her sticky little hands-“ She pauses to giggle and nudge Najya with her elbow, “…and my Dream of the spider, we will climb this ascent without a worry or care in the world! It is the safest option, to be sure. Unless someone else has a better suggestion? I will admit, I am curious to see the beauty of…Mmmmmmmmmmmbala!”

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

tbf3e91.jpg

Name: Brigg (Baghtu) | Race/Class: Bugbear Barbarian 3 | HP: 32/32 AC: 14 PP: 12

Brigg caught bits of Najya's signing. He was rusty, but it was enough. He nodded in the affirmative. "I can assist as you need. These cliffs are somewhat familiar to me." A pause, considering Mariposa's words. "I would like to know more about this Dream of the Spider. My kind disregard dreams, trusting instict instead...but I have learned to be more open to such things in my travels." There was more, of course, but Brigg found himself unwilling to tell it at this stage. He had just met these new individuals, after all. Odd how one can trust another with their life, but not their emotions.

He rummaged through his own supplies, pulling the rope from his pack.

OOC

Posting for flavor, but Brigg is ready to start the journey.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Posted (edited)
Day 20: Vengeance, Ending

Cyas giggles at Mariposa, covering her face with her hand. "You wouldn't be the first, miss. Are you of the Fair Folk? I've never met your like before! And here I thought I was the novelty!" As Cyrienne gets to her business, two of the patients are healed outright, their fevers fleeing, drawn from wounds or some plague upon them. Others, while better than when the group found them, will likely need to go with Cora and Beacon on the morrow. Cyas is elated at the news. "If we can focus on one or two patients, tops, that will really turn things around here at camp. We can refocus our efforts and make this place livable, practically. You don't realize what you've done, sister, even if you think you do. Suffering is always a burden, and a teacher, but it need not be needlessly so." The critique is not particularly subtle, of the camp's leadership.

That night, logistics are spoken of regarding Mbala, regarding how best to get up there. The consensus very much agrees with Najya's offer: she will climb and secure the rope and others will follow as possible, or be carried. Eku is openly amused by Mariposa's abuse of the word Mbala, Story's chuckle like a pur. "I wonder how the people of Mbala will take to their name in your mouth? I cannot imagine anything but delight from them: it is a fun word, admittedly."

And soon, they rest.

Day 21: Outbound

21st Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

10 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DRspacer.png

The first act of the day is a hard one: the goodbye to Cora and Beacon. Three sickly patients are packed in the canoes, along with two Order of the Gauntlet members, one for each boat, to help Cora and Beacon navigate the river back to Port Nyanzaru. While Beacon is stoic, Cora is anything but, her face a shriveled mess. "I don't do this normally. I'm good! I'm good about goodbyes. No use getting emotional when logic aims to please. But... this is a good choice. We're twenty days in and I don't have the materials to send a spell to our glorious patron. So, I'll go back, and I'll wait for you all. Besides, with ol' Hothead here I can't imagine things will go any further south than they already have. Gonna miss you, Wallflower. You too, Cyrienne: try to keep things platonic, not sure it's sanitary to go around naked as a Castle Ward jaybird. Najya, your words are wise, if not always in your mouth or mind. Keep'em on their toes. Story... loosen up, huh Kittycat?" She hugs the trio each in turn, and shakes Eku's hand; the guide, teary from Cora's tears, hugs her intensely. "I will miss this little mad mind."

And soon, the canoes go and follow the current, heading north towards the port and the sea. Before they leave, one of the guards turns, and suddenly to Najya, Story, Mariposa, Eku, and Cyrienne, looks oddly familiar: like Danuse. Yet, hadn't that guard been a young half-elf a moment before? How did she pull that off? Whatever the case, having Danuse with them is reassuring, if odd.

The remaining group headed to Mbala has less pomp and circumstance than they might have expected. Cyas comes to see them through the gate, as does Ord Firebeard, the kindly dwarf leader of the camp; his compatriots do no such thing. "I know yer mute friend 'ere spake o' paying us, but consider th' rope 'nd climbin' gear a parting gift: better used in yer hands than ours, right now. Just, don't tell Whitehawk Breakbone, aye? Eku, be sure t' come back sooner rather th'n later. We could use some good sense 'round 'ere, aye?" The gates open, the dwarf bows, and then they are out, into Chult once more.

The day is exceptionally uneventful, but the smell is much better. Even when they run across thunder lizard dung, the smell of death, dirt, and disease that had been Camp Vengeance is not a missed scent when surrounded by petrichor, fresh flowers, and life itself. They find little resistance, but Brigg proves a ready hand for Eku on guiding them: he does seem at home here in the jungles of Chult.

As they set up camp, a thundering comes from the jungles. When the jungle parts, six adult thunder lizards emerge on all fours, one standing to get a better look around, followed by eight tiny babies, miniatures no bigger than full grown wolves. The standing one spots the camp, gives off a strange honking sound from its crest, and then falls to all fours, moving to the edge of the pack of lizards and acting as a buffer between the camp and the babies. Eku is star-struck; Story's tail dances in curiosity. Soon, the thunder lizards pass without much fanfare, the stars beginning to emerge as they disappear into the trees from this clearing.

"And they call this place savage."

Day 22: Something Remains

22nd Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

11 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DR

The next day is much as the first, clear skies and little activity. Around midday, they find a shovel and nearby, a place where digging had begun but not gotten very far; not too far off, they find a pair of boots with the feet still in them, the legs up to the mid-shins broken and the flesh stripped. Something interrupted a dig: and so soon the group continues, finding a cache of goods in a leather bag. The bag will be quite nice, Eku muses, but inside are godsends: a water catcher and a mess kit. While the latter is more of a creature comfort, the former will make their gathering of water much easier, especially now that they don't have the river to provide it.

The day is without event, though clouds begin to form at dusk.

Day 23: Terror from Above

23rd Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

12 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DR

When it rains, it pours.

Morning is miserable as they trek through the jungle, the canopy doing nothing but distributing a downpour. Everyone is wet everywhere, though the bag they discovered the day before proves waterproof: a useful tool indeed. By midday the weather lightens up, the winds die down, and the cold wet is replaced with unbearable humidity: they won't be getting dry any time soon, if at all, before they reach Mbala. Story is quite peeved at his current wet state: a cat only gets wet when it means to.spacer.png

They emerge onto a plain, and soon, a strange noise comes from elsewhere in the jungles ahead of them, a noise like a crow made of rocks. Following after it soon after is a noise beyond the pitch of everyone but Mariposa, who hears clicks and squeals, soon interrupted by a very human terror, a voice screaming, "Dragonbait, we can't fight them! Run! RUN!"

Wisely, everyone has time to draw weapons and prepare spells, as a human in drenched blue robes carrying a bow emerges, followed by a strange green thunder lizard-looking fellow on two legs, with furred cloak and an impressive blade, stained with blood. Follow them come a series of green-gray flying thunder lizards with humanoid bodies beneath their wings, six in total. Eku stares, as if trying to understand what she's seeing, but soon, the group open fires: no one should be set upon like these creatures. Eku sees them and yells, "Pterafolk! Kill them all!"

The group sets upon them, and soon drives them away provided any survive. Given a breather, the human lays on the ground and lets out a hoot, but the strange dragonborn that clearly isn't, looking more like the crested hadrosaur herd the day before. His sword in hand, he looks at the expedition cautiously.spacer.png

"Give it a rest, eh Dragonbait? They just saved our lives. If they want to kill us, so be it. I can die today."

Only Mariposa hears the strange noises coming from the one called Dragonbait, the clicks and squeals that make his ridge dance. In time, he puts his sword on his back and crosses his arms, the smell of violets and honeysuckle filling the area they find themselves in. Mariposa doesn't need to wonder where the smell suddenly came from: she can tell Dragonbait is using pheromones to express an opinion, not unlike some of her friends back in the Feywild.

"A man and a dragonborn that isn't: the Zhentarim is looking for you, Artus Cimber."

Eku looks at Story curiously before she remembers: before they reached Camp Vengeance, they had encountered the Zhentarim, who said they were looking for a pair matching this description. The man called Artus looks up, his chest heeving, and sighs. "Gods be damned, I was hoping we could avoid more bloodshed—"

"Hold! Hold, good sir. We are an expedition not affiliated in any way to the Black Network: never would we dare to," says Story, his hands up and pacifying as Dragonbait reaches for his sword once more. "We are looking into the cause of the Death Curse which ravages our world. We have tracked it here and seek the oracle at Orolunga. We mean you no harm."

Artus looks at Dragonbait who looks back; the dragonborn that isn't shrugs and lets off a hoot only Mariposa hears.

"Funny, that's where we're headed."

Eku smiles. "Then we have common purpose and from the looks of thing, common defense is only in our benefit. If my companions do not mind, we can share a fire, and perhaps you can tell us why the Harpers and the Zhentarim seek you?"

The duo share a nervous look, but ultimately agree to at least travel together... for now. Perhaps they can be convinced of more.

Day 24: Pursuit

24th Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

13 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DRspacer.png

Soon it becomes clear not just the Zhentarim and Harpers seek Artus Cimber.

It is almost dusk when something sets Dragonbait off, a sound, a noise no one else can detect, for some reason. As white clouds carry onward and the sky begins to hue from blue to pink and orange, he looks to Artus and Artus to the group. "We're being followed. We must hurry."

Eku nods. "I happen to know a place nearby, owned by some friends."

A mile through rocky jungle brings them to a massive canephor tree, its leaves massive, and they climb, Najya leading the way by carrying the rope. Up the tree they go, and at the midway point, just above the canopy, is a small platform made of thick wood with a small hovel into which five of them can fit and sleep. While helpful, it does not answer who follows them.

Soon, a group of seven zombies shuffle into view, and Story, like the others, draws his weapons: they hid because of zombies? Yet Dragonbait holds them up, putting his beefy green scaled arm up as if to hold. After a minute or two, a group of black-clad warriors appear, their faces somewhat obscured but pale and pink with bright black veins appear, all carrying weapons of war; this group of four is soon joined by a single bald man with tattoos on his head, carrying a bronze staff. His most notable and recognizable feature, however, is the red robe he wears around him. Brushing away sweat, he sighs. "Another astute failure. Another like this and I will have our Mistress put the lot of you down and leave you for fertilizer. Perhaps it was a false trail all along: who knows where that Cimber has gone?" He says something in a language no one understands. "Let us return to the Heart. She will want a report before we head onward to the City."

Soon they head onward, and when they are well out of sight from the tree house, they let another five minutes pass.

Story speaks, a growl in his voice. "Red Wizards of Thay. Dark magic is theirs. They seek you too, Artus? A wonder you are still alive."

Artus chuckles. "You do this as long as I have, and you find novel ways of survival. Listen... having me around is dangerous enough. Dragonbait sticks with me because he has a misguided sense of honor and duty, and I can't convince him otherwise. I appreciate you having me, but I am a liability. Are you sure you want me hanging about you like a miasma?"

Day 25: The Cliffs of Mbala

25th Day of the 3rd Expedition, 5th Cohort

14 Alturiak, Year of the Starwalker's Return, 1490 DRspacer.png

By dusk they reach it: the cliffs upon which Mbala sits.

The day is largely normal, though an air of dread hangs with them: the Red Wizards being in Chult is a bad sign that this Death Curse is larger than they realized. While the Death Curse would not stop the Red Wizards of Thay from resurrecting bodies, it would prevent them from speaking to the death, and given how prominent resurrection and undeath is among Red Wizards, it might affect them further. Yet an alliance with them is unthinkable: and perhaps they come here not to end it but steal the source, Story notes.

Whatever the case, they trek onward with Artus and Dragonbait, who seem as intent on ending the Death Curse as they do, though that is not why they sought the oracle. Getting them to speak is one thing, Artus is congenial and Dragonbait as quirky as he is adorable when he's not downright frightening. Getting them to talk about their personal lives is another thing entirely. When he sees Najya using her sign language, Dragonbait immediately seeks to learn it from her, having spent the last two nights trying to learn it from her: he cannot speak in the tongues of this world, only in his smells and the strange noises only Mariposa can hear. Sign language would be a godsend.

Dragonbait is what they call a sauriel, which not even Story has heard of. Eku has, though: a group of beings from another world, only a handful entered this one a century ago, which means Dragonbait is a century old at least. Artus admits thus far to only being from Cormyr, the kingdom of Purple Dragon Knights, War Wizards, and stories of yore that fill the pages of history and trashy chapbooks alike. He says little more beyond that, unless persuaded.

"There, the cliffs are low enough there." Eku is right: the cliffs are lower here than the wall they have followed along. Three hundred feet of cliffs awaits them, but Eku stares. A hundred and fifty feet up, a path has been cleared in the greenery revealing a rocky, upwards trail. "Strange. That is new. Perhaps the people of Mbala have made a path for us... if we climb." The rope goes to Najya, and their journey begins in earnest.

Out of Character

Alright, we're exploring Chult again! I think once we get to Orolunga we can reconsider this format more and stop having so many encounters, or perhaps after Mbala. A few things:

• Hunting, camp-making, etc. rules remain, but we'll adust them: building camp is requires no check, finding water requires no check, but finding food does. DC 12 Survival, failure leads to 1 level of exhaustion. Multiple people can hunt.
  • You can attack the Hadrosaurs, but why would you? Feel free though.
  • You can run a series of checks on Artus and Dragonbait as you like, including Insight (number rolled will reveal different info), Persuasion to get them to open up (Dragonbait will be much more willing so his DC is smaller), etc. You can ask about their pasts, why they're pursued, and what they seek with the oracle; of those, Artus is most likely to reveal why they seek the oracle (hint: it's more Mezro nonsense).
  • On the Pterafolk, everyone roll 2 rounds of attacks. The DC to hit a Pterafolk is 12, their HP is 26; get creative and perhaps one can die if you attack.
  • It is extremely advisable you not attack the Red Wizard, as Story and Artus have said, but feel free to.
  • Climbing! Let's do this. No checks for Najya in her spider climbing, but everyone else can either be hauled (which will require an Athletics check from those at the top, made easier with more people) or by climbing. DC to climb or haul is 14; everyone will need to make 3 checks. I'll provide consequences for failures in my next post or in the chat, but you lot can roleplay that out or wait for me. Everyone will make it to the top, at their leisure, given a dead body can be tied up with rope and just hauled.
  • Once at the top, it will need to be an Athletics check or a spell of appropriate use to climb up the trail; DC 15, failure leads to 1 level of exhaustion.

Once that's done, we can move into the Mbala section of this day.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Age 129 | Height 5' 11" (1.80m) | Weight 126 lbs. (57kg) | Hair Copper Red | Eyes Emerald Green | Complexion Pale Bronze

Description Cyrienne is a fiery wood elf maiden, with blazing red curls and expressive emerald eyes, and sharp cut features. She is naturally curvier than most elves, but not excessively so.

She wears a green wood elven armour complete with yellow cape. While it is as authentic a wood elf armour as it gets, it does appear to sacrifice some functionality for grace, and some carmouflage for appeal. Nevertheless, it still provides both, along with protection. The silver brooch, which fixates the cloak upon her shoulder, is holy symbol of Sune.

Statblock

Sheet Cyrienne Alenuath | Alignment Chaotic good | Type medium humanoid (elf) | Classes Cleric (Light) 3 | Background Acolyte

Init +3 | AC 15 (leather) | Senses 60' darkvision  | Passive Insight 15; Investigation 9; Perception 15 | Saves Str -1, Dex +3, Con +1, Int -1, Wis +3, Cha +2

Immunities/Resistances

• Adv. on saving throws vs. magical charms
  • Immune to magical sleep effects

Languages  Common, Elvish, Sylvan

HD 3/3d8HP 15/15 | Warding Flare ☐☐☐ | Channel Divinity  | Arrows 20/20 | Spell Slots I: ☐☐☐ II: ☐☐

Underscored: Replenish on long rest | Italic : Replenish on short or long rest. | Numbers count available resources, not used resources. | "☐" indicates an available resource, "☒" used resource.

Status - |  Effects -Concentrating on Detect Poison & Disease | Hands Main -, Off Holy Symbol

Durations in rds. denote the remaining rounds after the current one.

Cyrienne Alenuath, Chaotic Good Female Wood Elf Cleric of Sune

21st day

While they were talking to Cyas, Cyrienne picked up the feint criticism of the camp's leadership and displayed a smirk. Cyas was a priestess of Ilmater, it felt natural for Cyrienne to assist her.  “I knew I would find disease and suffering when I approached this camp. I wasn’t surprised to find narrow minded human militarism either. And yet, in seeking beauty amongst all this, I found it, in compassion, composure and natural grace alike. Sune envies her maimed brother for you. And so do the fey of the forest, I suppose.” She glanced to Mariposa and then held Cyas look.

When Cyrienne continued she switched to Elvish and changed her tone to be serious and empathic: “If you want to join us find the root of the Death Curse, you’re welcome. This is a serious offer; you’re as much of my people as you are of theirs and, like me, you may prefer to look for a place in the wild rather than their camps. I am sure Ilmater would love you either way.” She looked over the patients. Cyrienne didn’t really expect Cyas abandon her ways and seek a life in the jungle, but Cyrienne wanted the pretty half-blood to know that the option existed. Still in elvish, Cyrienne concluded: “For now I shall follow your lead, bringing both beauty to the forlorn and solace to the suffering.”

Cyrienne continued to tirelessly assist Cyas for the remainder of the day, with magic and physical work alike.

22nd day

When Cora and Beacon said their goodbyes, Cyrienne didn't say much, she gave either of them a long firm hug, going onto her knees in Cora's case. As a parting gift, she gave a set of beautiful, handcrafted dice to Cora and a scroll case, decorated with beautiful, entangled flames to Beacon. It seems like Cyrienne made the gifts, though it remains unclear how and when. They both also received a wooden holy symbol of Sune with a streak of Cyrienne's hair worked into it as the goddess' hair. On the back side, declaring that the holder a favourite of Sune.

Back in the camp, Cyrienne tries to strike asks the newcomers about stories of their own, willingly shares her own stories, and particularly interested in their preferences, may it be regarding food, music, dances, epic tales, lovers, or weapons. She isn't shy about sharing details about herself, if asked, and will gladly make music accompany Story in playing songs.

When the thunder lizards approached, Cyrienne watched them curiously and spoke a prayer in her favour, carefully avoiding any motion that the lizards might consider threatening. She also glanced over to Mariposa, curious whether the lovely fey was about to say 'Hello' in her own unique way.

OOC

No hunting this night. Cyrienne is focused on the community, the camp and making the night a beautiful experience for everybody.

23rd day

When the group ran into two strangers, chased by pterafolk, the tender priestess suddenly let out the fierce warrior within her. With a piercing cry of rage, she raced forward to catch them in the blinding light of Sune's beautiful wrath: holding up her symbol she summoned a light so brilliant that it burned everything to close to her. That left her a little more exposed than she should have been though. The pterafolk were not as weak as goblins. Somebody managed to bust her out with but a few scratches - it was like she had planned on instantly reverting to the role of damsel in distress. From a bit more of a safer distance, she managed to unleash a guiding bolt - almost as brilliant as the previous light of Sune, and ridiculously beautiful to behold for anybody but the targeted creature.

After the fight, she welcomed the two of them: "We've heard about you, and I am most curious. But fear not, anybody who manages to seriously annoy the Zentharim is my friend. But please, don't be shy, tell us how this all happened! As a priestess of Sune, I have my connections and will eventually figure it out anyway, so you might as well present your side of the story first."

In the night, Cyrienne was once more focused on the camp and the community. She presented herself as open, shameless, and hopefully harmless to the strangers, and danced by the fire in her short fey dress and tries to team up with Mariposa to completely enchant them. Hopefully, she would get them a little tipsy and talkative. In truth, she priestess random frivolousness had more method than she let on elven eyes traced every motion of theirs closely. Her curiosity is only half the motivation, though. In truth, Cyrienne enjoys the game.

OOC

2 attacks against the pterafolk:

• Channel Divinity: Radiance of DawnStarting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to harness sunlight, banishing darkness and dealing radiant damage to your foes.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and any magical darkness within 30 feet of you is dispelled. Additionally, each hostile creature within 30 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw. A creature takes radiant damage equal to 2d10 + your cleric level on a failed saving throw, and half as much damage on a successful one. A creature that has total cover from you is not affected.
    - Cyrienne rushes ahead to avoid exposing allies to harm, catching at least two, preferably three of the enemies. Subjects take 9 damage (roll below - not that I only added +3 for level, but Cyrienne is level 4, thus it should be 9, not eight), Constitution Save DC 14 halves.
  • Scorching Ray - Spells - D&D Beyond (dndbeyond.com) Spread over several targets. Attack rolls and damage rolls below.

Evening:

Cyrienne tries to bewitch Artus and Dragonbait for sports. Preferably in a tag-team with Mariposa. Both insight and persuasion rolls. And, given anything of sufficient spirits, mildly intoxicate them. Performance & Insight rolls. (Note that Cyrienne's persuasion and performance are the same, so it doesn't really matter which she rolls.) If anybody else wants to try anything, Cyrienne will happily provide a distraction.

(to be continued...)

Name
Radiance of Dawn Damage
2d6+3 4,1
Scorching Ray Attack #1
1d20+6 14
Scorching Ray Damage #1
2d6 6,4
Scorching Ray Attack #2
1d20+6 17
Scorching Ray Damage #2
2d6 5,4
Scorching Ray Attack #3
1d20+6 20
Scorching Ray Damage #3
2d6 3,5
Performance vs. Artus & Dragonbait
1d20+5 9
Insight vs. Artus & Dragonbait
1d20+6 2

tbf3e91.jpg

Name: Brigg (Baghtu) | Race/Class: Bugbear Barbarian 3 | HP: 32/32 AC: 14 PP: 12

Day 21

The air of the jungle had strange mix of rot and renewal to it that always pleased Brigg. It reminded him just how wild the place was, how natural it felt versus the more peopled settlements he had seen. Chult was massive, yet it was a macrocosm of the world itself, constantly churning in a cycle of life and death. He stared at the results of one such cycle, the dung pile not quite a day old but already starting to enrich the soil beneath it. "Lizards near, we're likely on part of their game trail." A note for all, though he didn't doubt they already knew.

Soon, his words came true. He stopped short just before the thunder lizards entered the clearing. Brigg caught the gaze of a matriarch...he presumed she was the mother, anyway. Her watchful eye was all he needed for the assumption, her knowing he was at least partially wild, so he would know the rules. And there were always rules. He stood, poised but relaxed, meeting her eyes and keeping his own off the young lizards signaling he had no interest in their offspring or anything else. They were all just passing through, and pass through they did.

Brigg nodded at Story's comment. "Savage, yes. It is the way of things under all the masks."

Day 22

Brigg took in the sights and smells of the dig site, more interested in what was being dug for as opposed to what happened to those doing the digging. The latter was obvious. One of the massive jungle beasts had an easy meal. While Eku checks the provisions left behind, Brigg takes a closer look at the hole, and tries to recall what bauble or natural resource might possess someone to be digging in this unforgiving place. (Nature Check: 14)

Day 23

Pterafolk. Brigg smiled, toothy and feral. There was little time for thought, which suited Brigg just fine. Almost before the screaching could reach Brigg's ears, his javelin was moving through the air (15 ATK, 5 DMG) and found its mark in the shoulder of one of the swooping terrors. It lost altitude, complaing with an angry wail, and dropped low enough for a charging Brigg to send a mighty swing of his maul (20 ATK, 14 DMG) upward into the creature's head. It crashed to the ground, fumbling to right itself. Brigg moved in to finish the job, his blood pumping in a way that felt natural and real.

Day 24

The climb proved more of a challenge that Brigg had remembered. Perhaps it was over-confidence, but on his ascent, there was a slip (Athletics: 7). It was more bruising to his ego than his body, but he managed to complete the ascent and channel some of the anger at himself into hauling the others up, anchoring himself well and drawing the rope in smooth, considered pulls (Athletics: 25).

Atop, they hide, the scent of death a signal to stay in the shadows.

Brigg knew a bit of the Red Wizards, and certainly more than enough to know to steer as clear of them as possible. He was not a fan of this Artus and his companion, aptly named Dragonbait. They both were attracting slightly more attention that Brigg cared for amidt the standard dangers of the jungle. He found himself wanting little to do with either, but kept his head down and his mouth shut. Artus seemed to be aware of this, which Brigg could respect. Risk was a necessity. Brigg nodded to him, but said nothing.

Day 25

The second climb seemed to go reasonably better (Athletics: 17), but Brigg was on his guard. This way was new to him. Though the jungle had a way of changing to keep travelers on their toes, Brigg doubted this was a natural development. "We climb," Brigg said to Eku, "stay on guard." The journey had been arduous, as Brigg expected, but he was ageing, and not the young pup he was when under the lash. His focus turned more to controlling his breath with each step, projecting a calm determination instead of the tiredness he was feeling, instead of keeping an eye on the path like he had planned (Perception: 6).

OOC

Rolls in Discord

Brigg is curious about what was being dug up and checks it out.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Broxatla Zuberi (Chultan Artificer 3)spacer.png

AC: 16 (18 Shield) |  HP: 27/27 |  Passive Perception: +11FeaturesSpellcasting | Conditions: Exhausted 1

Spells: ○ ○ (1st) | (2nd) | (3rd)

Day 21/22

Preparations to leave camp take little time for Brox. He'd left Port Nyanzaru travelling light and the intervening time had hardly offered opportunity to load up on anything notable. With the bow, shield and pack properly shouldered, and the yklwa close at hand, he lingers close while the others say their goodbyes. It is likely that these people will never see one another again, given the nature of the trek they are about to undertake, but life is nothing without hope so he doesn't let the dark cloud of doubt linger overmuch on his observations.

The quiet nature of the trek away from camp shifts notably once their own small camp is made. After time spent alongside Brigg, finding people with a willingness to speak at length is a blessing. Brox keeps up with the conversation easily, offering detailed information about his past in Port Nyanzaru while tents are pitched and fires arranged. His childhood in the temple of Gond, his various interests in music and mates, all put on display without hesitation. When music is made he provides his own, breaking out the oud to accompany the others. For the first time in weeks he feels a lightness to his soul and it takes the arrival of the thunder lizards to remind him that he is not in the safety of a city tavern.

"Beauty and savagery, a flip of a coin. We were fortunate today."

Day 23

The battle brings out a different side in Brox. Happy, still, but focused on the task. He is quick to join the fray, and put on display for the first time in the way he and the metal man function in a fight. He doesn't speak, and Beeble seems incapable of it, but Brox uses a series of whistles and clicks to direct the man during the scrap. Charging in, Brox throws the yklwa as one of the pterafolk draws near and with a twist of his wrist the weapon wrenches free and leaps back to his hand. Two sharp whistles sends Beeble lunging forward as Brox drops to a slide, the metal man interposing an arm into the arc of the creatures reprisal on Brox as he drives the weapon up toward the pterafolk as it leaps by. The yklwa hums with a surge of electric energy, little jolts racing toward the tip as it seeks purchase in the creature's flesh. The shield sweeps a second arm aside and a click of Brox's tongue against his teeth sends Beeble forward with a thrashing swipe, the internals buzzing and whirring as unseen force compliments the blow. Hammering the creature into the dirt, Beeble follows up with a stomp to bring stillness to their foe.

As the group accepts Artus and his companion into their ranks, Brox becomes less boisterous. Doing nothing to interfere with Cyrienne's efforts to make the newcomer's feel welcome, he watches them from across the fire with curiosity. Foreigners are not unknown to him, and while he welcomed the ousting of those in power years ago he doesn't innately distrust them like many in Port Nyanzaru. Still, something about this man puts his teeth on edge in the way that foreign treasure hunters seeking to plunder his homeland often did. While Artus may not be trouble it clearly follows closely in his wake. It doesn't take long for Brox's suspicions to be confirmed.

Day 24

For the first time, as the group crouches in the blind, Brox is as silent as his metal companion. He keeps a tight grip on the bow, an arrow knocked and ready to fly, but he concedes to the groups better sense and lets the situation pass by. His concern about Artus' presence darkens his features as he listens to the others discuss. It is unlikely in his mind that they would cast the man out on his own, given the little he's experienced of them, but the increased risk of being hunted for another man's crimes does nag at his mind.

"I know of these Red Wizards through stories alone, but what I've heard paints a grim picture. I'd like to think if I were from your land I would also have made an enemy of them." As the crew beds down again, Brox offers for the first time to try and scare up food. It is clear from his description of his time in the city and his manner of speech that any knowledge of the wilderness he has is likely academic in nature, rather than practical in application. Still, he has a bow and a steady hand to draw it. Returning late in the evening, laden with a fine catch, he then takes time to lay out a length of rope and spends the waning hours of the day putting tools to work on it under Beeble's watchful gaze.

Day 25

"I grew up in a temple so climbing isn't exactly in my wheelhouse. Still, I have something for this." Dumping the pack onto the ground, Brox draws that same length of coiled rope from earlier out of the bag. The adjustments he's made, thin lines of metal wire threaded into the fabric weaves, give it a sheen but when he snaps it tight between his hands it goes rigid. With a bit of guidance he is able to maneuver it up along the side of the cliff and a few deft twists of the wrist causes it to coil up around a jutting rock. It's magic in every sense of the word, but it carries an odd affectation to it that seems much in line with that which animates the metal man.

Even with the addition of the enhanced rope, Brox struggles with the ascent. As well as he performed in the fight a few days prior, it becomes rapidly clear that he is not well-versed in the necessary athleticism to make an easy climb of this. Sweat is slick on his forehead and his shoulders sag low as he makes the top with the others, coiling the rope slower than is needed in order to buy himself a bit of a break.

Mechanics

Action: Your action goes here.

Bonus Action: Your action goes here.

Move Action: Your action goes here.

Item Interaction: Your action goes here.

Beeble Stats

Dice Rolls

Attack 1 Pterafolk

Attack 2 Pterafolk

Beeble Attack 1 Pterafolk

Beeble Attack 2 Pterafolk

Hunting for Day 24

Climbing via MAGIC

Climbing via MAGIC

Climbing via MAGIC

Climbing via MAGIC

Edited by DoNotFearToTread (see edit history)
Name
Attack 1 Pterafolk
SyntaxError: Unexpected token 1d8
1d20+6 1d8+4
Attack 2 Pterafolk
1d20+6 1d8+4
1d20+5 1d8+2
1d20+5 1d8+2
Hunting for Day 24
1d20-1 15
Climbing via MAGIC
keep(2d20,1,highest) 13,15
Climbing via MAGIC
keep(2d20,1,highest) 10,6
Climbing via MAGIC
keep(2d20,1,highest) 10,14
Climbing via MAGIC
keep(2d20,1,highest) 10,8
Brox Attack 1 Pterafolk
1d20+6 7
Brox Attack 2 Pterafolk
1d20+6 10
1d20+5 19
1d20+5 17
Damage 1
1d8+4 5
Damage 2
1d8+4 4
Damage 3
1d8+2 4
Damage 4
1d8+2 1

Portrait of Cyrienne

Appearance

Cyrienne

Age 129 | Height 5' 11" (1.80m) | Weight 126 lbs. (57kg) | Hair Copper Red | Eyes Emerald Green | Complexion Pale Bronze

Description Cyrienne is a fiery wood elf maiden, with blazing red curls and expressive emerald eyes, and sharp cut features. She is naturally curvier than most elves, but not excessively so.

She wears a green wood elven armour complete with yellow cape. While it is as authentic a wood elf armour as it gets, it does appear to sacrifice some functionality for grace, and some carmouflage for appeal. Nevertheless, it still provides both, along with protection. The silver brooch, which fixates the cloak upon her shoulder, is holy symbol of Sune.

Statblock

Sheet Cyrienne Alenuath | Alignment Chaotic good | Type medium humanoid (elf) | Classes Cleric (Light) 3 | Background Acolyte

Init +3 | AC 15 (leather) | Senses 60' darkvision  | Passive Insight 15; Investigation 9; Perception 15 | Saves Str -1, Dex +3, Con +1, Int -1, Wis +3, Cha +2

Immunities/Resistances

• Adv. on saving throws vs. magical charms
  • Immune to magical sleep effects

Languages  Common, Elvish, Sylvan

HD 3/3d8HP 15/15 | Warding Flare ☐☐☐ | Channel Divinity  | Arrows 20/20 | Spell Slots I: ☐☐☐ II: ☐☐

Underscored: Replenish on long rest | Italic : Replenish on short or long rest. | Numbers count available resources, not used resources. | "☐" indicates an available resource, "☒" used resource.

Status - |  Effects -Concentrating on Detect Poison & Disease | Hands Main -, Off Holy Symbol

Durations in rds. denote the remaining rounds after the current one.

Cyrienne Alenuath, Chaotic Good Female Wood Elf Cleric of Sune

24th day

Hiding in the tree was much to Cyrienne’s liking. She signaled a ‘thanks’ to Nayja. As agile as she was, Cyrienne probably wouldn’t have been able to climb to the tree on her own, but it helped the wood elf feel somewhat more connected her nature – or at the very least, the romantic notion of wood-elvenness.

What she witnessed from up there was not at all to her liking. Ducking in the canopy, she pressed the holy symbol, displaying Lady Firehair’s face, in her hand. Undead. Not because of curse, but as a convenient tool, thoughtlessly manifested negative energy. Not just dead, but less than nothing. It’s very existence an insult to beauty itself.

With a glance to her friends, she forced herself to breathe deeply and let the Wizard pass, without unleashing the radiance of Sune’s beauty upon the undead. Upon Artus comment, her mood had suddenly shifted. A fine, genuine laughter sprang from her lips, as she stretched out amongst the branches and leaves.

“I am a Sunite, Artus. Dragonbait and you, you’re about the most popular people in this jungle. We Sunites love savouring the glamour of the handsome and famous. I may be a little jealous over that much attention from dangerous folks. Besides, being cross with the Zentharim and the Red Wizards is not a miasma, it’s badge of honour! I wouldn’t want to be separated from you!” She put a hand upon Artus’ and Dragonbait’s shoulder once she found herself a comfortable position.

“I hope you're going to tell me you're secret. And I hope we don’t have to go down there any time soon?” She glanced down. The height was a bit frightening.

25th day

Cyrienne looked a little puzzled when they reached the base of the cliffs; as far as she could tell, they reached a dead end. When she began to realise that they were supposed to climb this high, she energetically shook her head. "No, this is way too high. We'll have to find another way.... or you'll have to pull me up there. The last time we needed to climb at the hanging bridge, it almost ended in a disaster, I am not going through this again. So..." she signed looked around to ask in her nicest tone. "Please somebody pull me up. I'd ask Mariposa to change into a mountain lion and carry me by the back of my neck, unfortunately I can't transform into a kitten. Or a bird. Or anything."

CGncsio.pngNajya

Features

Class Features:  Unarmored DefenseMartial ArtsKiUnarmored MovementTouch of Death, Slow Fall

Racial & Background:  Deathless NatureSpider ClimbVampiric BiteShelter of the Faithful

IC

Day 21

When it comes time for Cora and Beacon to depart, Najya does not make an emotional goodbye, but she is feeling something. Since the start of this journey, these two were under her protection. But now she must leave them to their fates in order to continue safeguarding Mariposa, Story, Cyrienne, and Eku. She can't help but feel a failing in herself, that she is not somehow able to split herself in two and protect both groups. Instead, Najya settles for inspecting their canoes for obvious defects and securing the cargo, living and unliving alike. She sees them off with a simple sign:

image.png.1ec920d0574475ff52438b10b93b8469.png

As soon as they are gone, Najya puts them out of her mind by necessity. Her responsibility is now the others. And so she devotes her full vigilance to this reformed group, along with its three new members. When it comes time to make camp, she assists in her customary fashion and does what she can to help gather provisions from the bounty of the jungle. Despite not being as seasoned a hunter as some of the others, her natural stealth allows her to sneak up on a wild boar and subdue it before it even knows what's hit it.

Day 23

The previous day passed without concern. Najya had little interest in the mystery of the diggers. The causes of death was all that mattered to her, and that much was obvious. She knew what to be on watch for, but thankfully this foe did not make itself known to them.

The next day, however, forces them to again contend with Najya's nemesis. Rain.

Najya sheds her robes after they become completely waterlogged, though she keeps her hood and cowl to intercept heavy drops from falling directly on her head. She is no less miserable.

It is not until the pterafolk attack that she finds welcome distraction from the dampness. She propels herself effortlessly up the nearest tree and leaps out into open air to strike at one of the descending creatures. They become a tangle in midair, as first she strikes with her staff and lodges it between the thing's beating wings. As they plummet together, Najya knees it twice in rapid succession, before them twisting about to place the creature between herself and the ground. With one final strike of her staff, she thrusts it toward a bone-crunching demise against the hard ground, while she herself seems to almost float to a far softer landing on hands and one knee.

After the others have been dispatched or run off, the monk regards the two strangers who brought the pterafolk down upon them. She is particularly curious about the scaled one, who, like her, does not seem capable of speech. She observes them both, in her silence, studying their body language as others study their words. But the human betrays nothing to her, and the saurian is far too alien to read.

Day 24

But the one called Dragonbait seems equally curious about Najya and her language without words. It takes the intervention of Artus to make her understand, but once Najya realizes the saurian wishes to learn, she is an eager teacher. If not for Nadeem risking everything to share the hand signs of the Most Solemn Order of the Silent Shroud, she would still be cut off from the rest of the world. These connections she's made with the others would have never been possible. And so she wishes to pay that kindness forward, in hopes Dragonbait will find the same sorts of connections possible.

She walks with the saurian whenever she is not needed to scout ahead or from above. They begin simply, but the beginning is the hardest part, and they both struggle. She remembers being in Dragonbait's place and feeling the same frustrations. She hopes they will have more time to get past these initial obstacles.

Of course, when the undead appear, she casts aside all thoughts of teaching and readies herself for battle. Her grip tightens on her staff and she prepares to launch herself out of the tree at her sworn enemies and their red-robed handlers. But an arresting hand on her shoulder from Story keeps her in check. She knows not why they would shy away from battle with this group, but she trusts the wisdom of the small furry one.

Day 25

The next day, Najya continues her tutelage of Dragonbait as they make their way to the cliffs. But it goes no better. Dragonbait even seems to have forgotten some of what she thought he had committed to memory. They both feel the frustration, and Najya wonders if the saurian would rather quit. But she is committed to helping, if he still wants to learn.

At the cliffs, Najya is able to find easy success. Climbing the sheer rock faces comes easily to her, and she does not quite understand why the others struggle. Still, she does what she can to assist them, carrying the rope ahead and securing it as best she can with hammer and spikes. Her first attempt is inadequate, and Eku pays a small price for it. As the line flies free, the woman tumbles back down and nearly lands on her head.

After scrambling back down the cliff face to check on her, Najya signs an apology. She vows to be more diligent going forward, and for the remainder of the ascent she finds the most ancient cracks in the rock for securing her spikes and the rings through which the rope is strung. True to her vow, the ropes hold fast, and Najya is able to focus on assisting the others who need the lines to climb.

OOC

I lost some of the end of my post, but I'm too tired to rewrite it. What's left is good enough.

Edited by emotionaut (see edit history)
Name
Day 21 - Survival
1d20+5 18
Round 1 - Attack 1
1d20+5 18
Round 1 - Attack 2
1d20+5 12
Round 1 - Flurry of Blows - Attack 3
1d20+5 16
Round 1 - Damage 1
1d8+3 6
Round 1 - Damage 2
1d4+3 3
Round 1 - Damage 3
1d4+3 2
Round 2 - Attack 1
1d20+5 19
Round 2 - Damage 1
1d8+3 5
Insight
1d20+5 4
Wisdom roll for teaching sign?
1d20+3 7
Day 2 teaching?
1d20+3 6
Climbing check 1 for ropes (Survival or Perception, same bonus)
1d20+5 2
Climbing check 2 for ropes
1d20+5 14
Climbing check 3 for ropes
1d20+5 16

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 (Shield) | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Druidic, Elvish, Sylvan

Day 20: Vengeance, Ending

Mari nodded emphatically at Cyas, “It would be fair to say so.” The Faun put her hand to her mouth to coyly stifle a melodic giggle. “Oh, you ARE the novelty. Are we all not novel in our own ways?” She peered to Cyrienne as the woman spoke of the relationship between gods and goddesses, and when she was motioned to regarding some sort of envy about a brother, Mariposa merely shrugged. “I am often envious of many people, but I do not know anyone’s brother. At least, I don’t think so…” She taps her chin thoughtfully with a long lilac fingernail. “…but I have always wanted a sister. So in a way, I suppose I am envious.” Clearly the Faun is not educated in the religion of the whims.

Later that night as they made a plan, Brigg questioned her about the Dream. “Hmm? You would know more? What a curious, fluffy man you are. Yes. I dance through the Dreaming like no other; I pull the figments of your aspirations and fears; I make them become a part of this dream. You shall see. Mayhaps I will visit your dreams this evening, if you would only invite me in.” She gave the bugbear a mischievous grin. Then, when Story spoke of her playful pronouncements of Mbala’s name, she ran her long fingernails through the fur on his arm endearingly while taking on a singsong tone. “I bring delight wherever I might, and where I do not, they still like me a lot.” She giggled another melodic sound.

Day 21: Short Goodbyes

Mariposa was likewise tearful even before Cora began speaking. To the little gnome the Faun was quick to give a strong embrace, lifting her up and twirling her in a circle. “I will miss you so very much, Gumdrop! Take my love and take my tears, use them when you need them most.” Whatever that meant was very unclear. She made her way to Beacon, clearly attempting to reign in her welling emotions. “I know that you did not enjoy my games and fun, yet still, dear Beacon, I like you a ton. May I embrace you?” She extended her hands outwards in an open invitation with hopes that he might accept at least just once.

Another set of goodbyes came as they prepared for the trek out of Camp Vengeance. To Ord, Mariposa gave a sentimental look of gratitude. “You are so very kind, sir. I wish to also give you a gift.” She fished in her pack and pulled out a small bell hung from a basic string. The bell was clearly broken, as its sound was more of a ‘tink’ than a jingle. “This was found and passed on by an ancient Fey. It holds within it a deep seated power that reveals itself to those who do good deeds. Take it, and remember us.” As they walked away, if Mariposa was questioned about the bell she would’ve shrugged, “I found it lying on the street in Port Nyanzaru. It means nothing to me. But it may now mean something to him. The power within it is the ability to make people do good deeds by thinking it has power.” She giggled happily.

After setting up her spot in the camp, Mariposa stepped to its edge to watch the passing Thunder Lizards. There, beside Cyrienne, she looked endearingly at the priestess of beauty and quickly leaned in for a peck on the cheek. But by the time Cyrienne looked back to her, she had already changed her shape into that of the obsidian-furred panther and had darted towards the clearing’s tree line. She stopped only once to look back with her lilac-rimmed eyes before bounding into the jungle to earn the night’s dinner. What had she said earlier? Something about bringing figments into this dream?

Day 22: Ptera-ble Encounters

Mariposa was humming a cheerful tune when the shouts of surprise came. She raised a hand to part the curtain of silvery hair to reveal her drooping cervine ears that perked up at the distant sound. “Curious. This click and whine, it sort of reminds me of-“ She did not have time to finish before the attack played out. Whipping magical stones towards her enemies and healing rhymes to her allies, Mariposa supported her allies in the ensuing battle. 

Afterwards, she peered curiously at the not-dragonborn when he clicked and whistled again. Her nostrils flared as she sniffed the air, “What a thing to say!” She pretended to be offended, putting a hand to her mouth in surprise. She did not understand the language, of course, but she pretended all the same. Story did most of the talking, as was probably necessary, and when the time came for them to camp together Mari was more than willing to learn more about her new friends — especially the unique one.

She approached Dragonbait with a bright smile and a bow of deference, “Hello! What a unique language you use. It is much like the Thunder Lizards do! Are you of their kin? I have never seen someone like you before!” And when Cyrienne came to her with an idea for bewitching their new friends with their beauty, she could think of no greater fun to be had that evening. She even offered up the intoxicating fruit that she had saved from long ago, preserved by Eku's skills (or perhaps, magic?) 

Day 23: Thay follow…

Mari had shifted into a black-and-white coated lemur to climb into the small hiding place, and when the zombies appeared, she leapt silently to  the nearby branch of a tree to watch curiously. Noting Dragonbait’s hand movements, she quirked her primate head to one side, her big lilac eyes following his line of sight. When the red-robed wizard appeared, she darted even further up the tree and peeked from the canopy, as any startled primate might. 

Once they were supposedly safe, Mari shifted back to her Faun form and listened to the conversation shared between the rest of her party. “Oh no! Red Wizards of They? The absolute worst, I think. The worst part being, of course, who really knows who 'They' are? No one. The mystery is the scary part!" Clearly the Faun knew little -- if anything -- about Thay. But that did not stop her from trying to pretend she understood.

Day 24: A Steady Ascent

The day finally came when the party reached the dreaded cliffs that hoisted the city of Mbala high above. Mari was quick to alert Brigg that he would see the dream. "You have seen my figments before, but now you will witness the dream of the spider as you have asked about, once upon a time. If it shall be of any aid to you, I will be sure to lay webs where I can to catch any silly stumblers." She smiled brightly and began to sway, twirling her gnarled wooden staff around her, its strange dangling fetishes jingling as she moved it. Around her the world seemed to grow hazy, like she was fading away into a lilac blur. She swayed her hips side to side and whispered a low limerick in Sylvan. Within a few moments she had taken on the form of a Giant Spider with colorful patterns across its furry form. With a joyful chittering, Mari-spider skittered up the side of the cliffs, spewing web in areas that might act as a sticky safeguard for any who had trouble ascending.
However, once they had all finally reached the trail pointed out by Eku, Mari quickly learned how winded she was from the ascent and her web weaving. Shifting back to her Faun form, she breathed heavily and swept away the beads of sparkling sweat that were already forming across her brow. “Oh me, oh my, I do not think I can continue further. Can we not take a nap here? I think I will be needing a nap, yes, yes.” Of course, there was no time for such things, especially in a place as dangerous as Chult. She would continue on, but at a slow and unsteady pace.

OoC

Day 21: Hunting (really well apparently)

Day 22: Rolled two attacks, although I’m not much of a fighter. Then I will give Cyrienne advantage on her checks for the Cimber and Deagonbait.

Day 23: Using Wild Shape to become a cute little Lemur

Day 24: Using Wild Shape to become a giant spider. I don’t know if it helps but I can shoot webs to protect anyone who falls, assuming there are tall enough trees or something to create a net of some sort.

Then I’m going to fail my Athletics check and take Exhaustion.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Hunt (Day 20)
1d20+6 20
Ptera Attack 1 (Magic Stone)
1d20+6 2
Ptera Attack 2 (Magic Stone)
1d20+6 7
Athletics 
1d20-1 4
Ptera Attack 2 damage
1d6+4 5

Day 20: Ease Their Passing

Cyas smiles, laughing a bit at the idea of being a novel, but shakes her head. "I find experience makes one a novelty, more than simply being. But then, how does one separate experience from being?" To Cyrienne's offer, the healer considers it fully, but declines. "Much as I would like to, and much as we share opinions, alas, I cannot leave my post. The most good I can do is here, in the camp. What suffering is brought, by our own hand or by the dark jungles that surround us, I must aim to fix. Duty bars me from joining you, as much as my heart would otherwise beg me to. Who else can ease their passing, when their time comes?" Whatever the case, there is a note of finality to it: Cyas is staying at Camp Vengeance... for the time being.

Day 21: Savage Beauty

Najya has a hate of water, and relatively new to canoes, she accepts that the only way to resist water is to have a proper vehicle that keeps one safe. Thus, her checking of the canoes headed for Port Nyanzaru is the highest form of affection she has, despite knowing next to nothing about them. She does this dutifully as Mariposa says her goodbyes to Cora and Beacon, the former full of sobbing, the latter stoic but when it comes to the final farewell, willing to break character and give Mariposa the hug she desires. "Keep them safe, Mariposa. And never let the world change you."

When it comes time to finally leave, Mariposa has a gift for Ord to give to his fellow leaders, and the congenial dwarf takes it, though his face clearly wears a look of doubt and confusion. "T'ankee kindly, lass. Be safe and keep th' faith out there, aye?"

Day 22: Provisions

For his part, Brigg dives into studying the tools found in the hole with abandon. Clearly whoever left this intended to come back for it: why leave something so valuable? He can tell it has been some time since they came: there are no tracks, the dirty had time to settle and roots had time to grow around parts of the sack, but not penetrate it. Much can be inferred from that, but little of it definitive.

Whatever the case, it will do no one any good if they don't take with them this water catcher now. It's the only logical thing to do in this illogical, irrational place.

Day 23: True Pterror

True to form, when the pterafolk begin attacking, the expedition sets in the motion fending them off.

Despite facing her archnemesis, Najya is ready to head into battle and after Cyrienne's blast of bountiful sunlight, she and Brox begin their bludgeoning fury through the group of strange flying reptilian humanoids. Brigg throws his javelin then brings his mace to bear, and Mariposa, Story, and Eku apply support and ranged attacks as possible. The fight is very one-sided; the pterafolk offer little in the way of resistance, but still Story warns them. "Pterafolk like to pick up with their feet and carry away, killing their prey in isolation! Be mindful! I'm glad Cora is not here: they would have gone for her first."

Soon, the battle is won and Artus Cimber and Dragonbait come to bear, apprehensive at first but eventually calming and being more welcoming. Dragonbait is first, with Mariposa's comments on his manner of "speaking" causing him to give off an odor of sulfuric tar: "That means he's confused but celebratory, as it were," Artus notes, creating some distance between himself and the saurial. He explains in full what he's discerned of Dragonbait's smells and what he's communicating: the smell of brimstone is confusion, roses are a kind of longing or sadness; lemon is joy, which he begins to emit when Cyrienne begins her dancing, baked bread is anger, rage, and irritation, violets represent danger or the face of fear, honeysuckle ranges between concern or tenderness, wood smoke is devotion, which he has plenty of, tar is victory or celebration, and ham is nervousness or worry.

Brox and Brigg, still outsiders, let the others take the lead that night as they gather around the fire, welcoming the newcomers they've heard of. Cyrienne's dancing is greatly appreciated, though both Artus and Dragonbait are distracted. For the latter, it is simply a matter of learning sign language from one not suited to teaching it: Najya does her best, but she is more of a doer than a shower. Still, the saurial seems content to learn, because people assuming what he's thinking and doing leads to confusion.

Cyrienne finds, with disappointment, Artus' appreciation does wane into a kind of sorrow, a melancholy he wears openly. "You remind me of her. My Sanda. I know she's waiting, and I have to find a way to be with her, but...." He sighs. "I know how you Sunites can be, I've met plenty in my days as a Harper, so don't take my melancholy the wrong way." With that, he excuses himself.

Everyone gets a general sense that both men have a past, with Dragonbait likely unwilling to hide anything but just unable to communicate it clearly, and Artus having plenty to keep to himself. Who is Sanda, for example?

Day 24: Thay Come for You

As they hide from the Thay contingent below, when it becomes apparent Najya wants to engage, Story stops her, laying a hand on her shoulder, before signing to her that where one is, more can be found, and their mages are never not skilled. He seems to doubt that the expedition could take this sole Red Wizard, or perhaps he is being overly cautious.

Later, as they stay in the elevated camp, he explains a short history of Thay.

"Thay is a magocracy, ruled by a hierarchy called the zulkirs. Once the zulkirs were all equals, one per school of traditional magic. Then, before the Spellplague, the zulkir of necromancy, Szass Tamm, led a coup and took over Thay: now all zulkirs answer to him, an undead tyrant at the top of the kingdom. There are many Thayans spread across Faerûn now, many exiles but who cling to the old ways, but those who are allied with Szass Tam and Thay are often led by those who command the undead. If the Red Wizards have come to Thay, we must be wary."

Eku nods, but sighs. "Not a good sign. They come to a land overrun by undead: they could easily use that to try and build a stronghold here. We must eliminate them as we can, but intelligently."

Najya's lessons continue, and Dragonbait slowly makes progress, which he is proud of down to the scent of lemons, but he cannot fully form a sentence yet. Artus remains somewhat distant, albeit more open now that he has admitted to being a former Harper. Story joins Cyrienne in trying to get more out of him, but there's not much to it. Cyrienne does note that there is a kind of coolness to Artus that seems supernal, as if frost emanated from the man himself. He does reveal a few scant details: he is from the Kingdom of Cormyr on the Sea of Fallen Stars, he's a former Harper who split with them based on their inability to show nuance, particularly in foreign lands, and he believes in the preservation of knowledge. If asked who Sanda is, he merely says "My wife."

Day 25: An Uphill Climb

At Cyrienne's refusal to climb herself and insistence she be dragged, Story sighs. "I wish our friend Beacon were here. We could use his muscles, I am thinking."

Once again Najya leads the chase in exploration, soon followed by Eku and Brigg who despite his slip the day before does a much better job, limber despite his size and age. Story, graceful as a cat, makes quick work of the climb, while Brox's magical rope barely makes the climb anything but manageable. Despite her arachnid nature, Mariposa finds the climb quite difficult, exhausting her as she approaches the top. As she requests a nap, Story and Brigg join together and begin trying to pull Cyrienne up as the sun continues its descent. It is a hard climb and there is a slip once or twice, which sends Cyrienne hurdling towards the cliff's face and to certain damage if not doom. None the less, they get her up.

At the top, Eku sighs. "Much as I would like to, sweet Mariposa, we cannot rest here. Mbala awaits! I know these people well. They will welcome us...." She pauses, her eyes scanning the top of the western horizon. "Something is not right. I will go scout ahead. Stay behind: but follow soon." She does not wait to explain and heads onward, not drawing her bow but not making a sound.

Story, heaving and laying next to Mariposa, nods. "Yes. A nap would be nice."

The view of Chult behind them, to the east, is cloaked in shadows. They see a body of water beginning to reflect the emerging sea of stars above, and peaks to the far east and south. At times, they see plumes of smoke rising up, suggesting camps therein. Roars, growls, the sound of insects and night, emerge far below, and also to the west.

After an hour, Story's head rises. "How long should we wait, friends?"

Out of Character

Alright, a few more notes:

• Everything but Day 25 is in pure roleplay mode; continue at your leisure but don't feel the need to do so.
  • @Feuerrabe have Cyrienne make a Dexterity saving throw on the ascent; failure, she takes 2d8 bludgeoning damage.
  • Any checks to figure out what Eku saw is fine.
  • If you lot want to head on without any discussion, feel free to let me know in Discord and I'll continue onward.

CGncsio.pngNajya

Features

IC

Najya does not like the idea of the group losing another member, even for a moment. But Eku insists on scouting ahead, and the others are too weary from the climb to immediately follow. Najya does not object to Eku moving ahead, but she does her best to keep the guide and the others in sight for as long as possible. This means following Eku up the path a ways and getting a glimpse of the settlement on the horizon. She also witnesses Eku disappear into the cover of the treeline, forcing the monk's hand. She can either continue to follow, but leave the others behind, or she can head back.

The math is simple. Her mandate is to protect the group, and when the group splinters, she must protect the largest portion that remains. She watches for Eku a few moments more before then turning back to report to the others. As she retraces her steps, she looks back at the settlement once more, in hopes of noticing any additional details worthy of note.

Back with Mariposa, Cyrienne, Story, Brigg, and Brox, she signs:

image.png.2c950be24793b67985656f6533d68a51.png

She is quick to add:

image.png.868245bbf2bd11427342cd3693367420.png

Name
Perception
1d20+5 18

Faun Druid of Dreams (3)

When Najya returned, Mariposa was already snoozing soundly back in her lemur form with her head propped up against one of Story’s arms; his furred arm had become her pillow. When she was finally roused from her quick nap, it was to the sound of Story’s voice questioning just how long they should wait. 

The lilac-eyed lemur wrapped her ringed tail around herself and performed a quick twirl, morphing back into her faun form in the process and immediately went into an extravagant stretch followed by an extensive yawn that made her eyes water. “Whew! How long was I sleeping? Oh! Where’s Eku?” She peered around curiously, then looked to Najya  who explains in a series of hand signals that Mari mostly understands. “Oh! We should probably be going to meet her now, yes? We do not want Eku out here all alone with the Wizards of ‘They’ around. Not to mention all of the various ways that she could die to all of the predatory creatures that live here! Like: being eaten alive, being eaten dead, being eaten BY the dead…disease, poison, dehydration, rehydration — also known as ‘drowning’…heat stroke, sunburn…” The rest of the group would be forgiven for tuning her out at that point. Nevertheless, she was ready to move onward and explore this nearby settlement. 

A stoic looking bugbear in a tattered sleeveless shirt stands ready to face whatever comes.

Day 22:

The dig site was odd, to say the least. Prepped, worked, then left nothing short of abandoned. Evidence showed that a considerable time had passed, as Brigg examined the compacted dirt and root structure. Not for lack of trying, he could make no sense of the dig site's original purpose. The water-catcher, however, would be useful in the dewey mists of the jungle heat. They would need to source water for the days to come and it was best to boil what fell from the leaves of these ancient trees, first, lest they be tainted with subtle poison or choking molds.

Approaching the Settlement:

Brigg was glad to see signs of civilization, in a way, since that typically meant provisions and rest, neither of which the jungles of Chult offered to any reaching hand. Life was not a granted thing in the wilderness, so survival must be taken as opposed to expected. Brigg knew this all too well, which is why his hackles raised slightly at Najya's concern Eku had, if he did not misinterpret her sign, vanished.

"Mariposa speaks true. The dangers of this place are too many to list. I will help find Eku. Do not call out to her. We do not want to draw attentions, again."

Whatever Eku saw, it made her feel that breaking off from the group to scout ahead was warranted, which meant stealth was in order. Brigg took a breath to calm his nerves and set his mind to tracking, as though he were locating prey for a feast. There was a mix of quiet calm and feral quality about his methods, which would help here with any luck. Brigg began looking for signs of Eku's passage...

OOC

Brigg keeps the water-catcher from the dig site.

Brigg assumes steathy hunting, and starts tracking Eku.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Stealth
1d20+4 17
Survival(Tracking)
1d20+2 4