Sabyne Kuznetsov, Human Paladin

Underleaf

Sabyne Kuznetsov

Human Paladin of Vengeance

05cc176c578098e07125d3c4d6421ddd.jpg
Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Neutral (Laws of Klavek, mind you)

Class: Paladin 3
Background: Guild Artisan (Blacksmith)

Passive Perception: 13
Passive Investigation: 10
Passive Insight: 13

Hit Points: 28
Hit Dice: 3d10
AC: 17
Initiative: +0
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet

"Speak carefully. Listen clearly. Follow justice."

ABILITIES & SKILLS

Proficiency Bonus: +3

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

(+3)

(+0)

(+2)

(+0)

(+1)

(+2)

Save +3 Save +0 Save +2 Save +0 Save +3 Save +4
Athletics +5

Acrobatics +0

Sleight of Hand +0

Stealth +0

Arcana +0

History +0

Investigation +0

Nature +0

Religion +0

Animal Handling +1

Insight +3

Medicine +1

Perception +3

Survival +3

Deception +2

Intimidation +4

Performance +2

Persuasion +4

Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES LANGUAGES CLASS ABILITIES RACIAL TRAITS FEATS

Smith's Tools

Simple Weapons

Martial Weapons

All Armor

Shields

Common

Dwarven

Elvish

Divine Sense

Lay on Hands (15/15)

Fighting Style: Interception

Spellcasting

Divine Smite

Harness Divine Power (1/1)

Divine Health

Oath of Vengeance Spells

Channel Divinity (1/1)

• Abjure Enemy
  • Vow of Enmity

Guild Membership

Dueling Master

8437-200.pngATTACKS

WEAPON TO HIT DAMAGE PROPERTIES (Range)

Longsword

+5

1d10+3 slashing

Versatile (1d10)

Warhammer +5 1d10+3 bludgeoning

Versatile (1d10)

Javelin +5 1d6+3 piercing Thrown (range 30/120)

spacer.pngSPELLS

Spell Slots: 3/3 (1st)

Spell Save DC: 12 Spell Attack Mod: +4 Spells Prepared: 6

1ST LEVEL 2ND LEVEL 3RD LEVEL

Bane (C)

Bless (C)

Command

Cure Wounds

Hunter's Mark (B) (C)

Wrathful Smite (B)

(C) Denotes concentration. / (R) Denotes reaction spell. / (B) Denotes bonus action spell.

money-dollar-circle-512.pngMONEY

Copper: 0 Silver: Gold: 15 Platinum: 0

(15 Coins * .02 lbs. = 0.30 lbs. Total Weight)

spacer.pngENCUMBRANCE

Weight: 147.30 lbs. / 240 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
Penalty: None

688885-200.pngEQUIPMENT READIED

Equipped Items: (74 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

ARMOR (59 lbs.) WEAPONS (15 lbs.) RADIED ITEMS (0 lbs.)

Traveler's Clothes - 4 lbs.

Chainmail - 55 lbs.

Longsword - 3 lbs.

Warhammer - 2lbs.

(5) Javelins - 10 lbs.

Holy Symbol

education_icons_IF-06-512.pngEQUIPMENT STORED

Stored Items: (67 lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

IN BACKPACK (67 lbs.) STRAPPED TO BACKPACK (inc) NOT CARRIED (0 lbs)

Explorer's Pack - 59 lbs.

• a Backpack
  • a Mess kit
  • a Tinderbox
  • 10 days of Rations
  • a Waterskin

Smith's Tools - 8 lbs.

Guild Letter

Included in Explorer's Pack

• a Bedroll
  • 10 torches
  • 50 feet of Hempen rope

Item_necklace_9.pngMAGIC ITEMS

Magic Items: (6 lbs.)

NOT ATTUNED (6 lbs.) ATTUNED 0/3 (0/0 lbs.)

+1 Shield - 6 lbs.

Potion of Healing

Scroll - Shield of Faith

Scroll - Detect Poison and Disease

(2) Scrolls - Spiritual Weapon

(3) Scrolls - Sanctuary

Scroll - Cure Wounds

CHARACTER OVERVIEW

Appearance
Hair: Scarlett Eyes: Midnight Blue Complexion: Fair

Born from generations of Klavekians, Sabyne is a product of the land. The strength in her bones is wrapped by sturdy muscles meant to battle the frigid air and survive the unforgiving earth. Her parents instilled in her a strong work ethic, driven into them by their parents and their parents before. She would have been the fourth scarlett haired smith of the Kuznetsov family. She still will be...but not today...not until the fires within her had settled, once the forge in her soul cooled to the uniform glow necessary to work a new blade.

Although her eyes are the color of a cool midnight sky, the embers of fury could be seen by any who looked. An anger that would not be silenced had the power to silence those who dared challenge the young woman. The scar across the left of her face added to the appearance of unforgiving judgement. She was, in fact, a product of her environment, a loyalist to the King.

Standing at 5'8", she is slightly taller than most women, but not curiously so. Her hair, however, the crimson hue was unique to her family. The locks did not beckon to the shades of brown, like others from the region. The Kuznetsov coloring lended towards the orange and burnt shades of the red variety. They were proud of their hair and Sabyne wore it loose for the sun to catch and highlight. It bore the truth of her soul, unashamed and unrelenting in all her pursuits.

Her armor and weapons were meticulously maintained. She cleaned and prepared them each night for the adventures of the next day. It was a ritual that honored her god and her family. The young blacksmith cherished the metal work that adorned her and was her constant companion. The well cared shine, to even the dented parts, was a testament to her skill and effort.

spacer.pngBACKGROUND

Guild Artisan

Traits
Reluctant Leader: Sabyne does not want to make decisions for others, but she finds she makes her mind up quickly, and others often follow the one who speaks up first. She tries to pass off the leadership to someone, anyone, as soon as they show any interest in taking it.

Wallflower Flirt: The young Paladin is friendly, she is capable of carrying on conversations, but she would prefer to be working in a forge or practicing her fighting skills. When in a crowd of people, Sabyne tends to stand back, letting others make the social connections. But her eyes are ever vigilant, scanning the scene, making contact with others from across the room and offering warm smiles. She plays with her hair unconsciously, drawing many men to her side.

Ideal
Family Always Sticks Together: This was ingrained into her as a child. Family, friends, neighbors... must all look out for each other. It is how a village survives, how a bloodline survives. It is what made her brother's disappearance and return so painful.

Flaw
First Impressions Never Fade: Overly trustful of her instincts, Sabyne's first impressions of anything and anyone are hard to overcome.

Bonds
Three Sisters: This is her hometown. It is where her family has lived for generations, and where the family business was built. Leaving broke her heart, even if she left to mend her soul.

Background Feature: Guild Membership

As an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides. Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.

Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or magic items to the guild's coffers.

You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild's good graces.

Background

Concepts
  • Sabyne is friendly and kind, but there is a pain and anger in her soul that she doesn't know how to cope with. It is not simply that she is angry at the attack on her home, nor the abandonment from her brother. She can't explain it, and it eats at her. It causes her to lash out, which is what drove her to leave her home. She knows she's dangerous.
  • She is haunted by nightmares. Rarely does she have a peaceful rest. They are frightful scenes of her fighting for demons, following the commands of voice to a man she never sees. Sabyne wakes covered in sweat, tears streaked down her cheeks. Its not smart for anyone to attempt to rouse her from sleep as she'll attack any who touch her in those moments, nor is it wise to attempt a conversation with her until she has had coffee and food to settle her down. (Its possible that these dreams mean nothing, or they may be Oneal fighting for her soul...I'm sure Bwatford and I can figure it out as the story continues.)
  • The Paladin woman is undeniably racist. A product of her upbringing, it is not exaggerated to extremes, but she does not trust elves nor Vikmordere. She is vaguely suspicious of all races beyond the native Klavekians, and follows her King unquestionably.
  • Sabyne loves metalworking. Hammering the hot ore is relaxing, the smell of the forge soothes her nerves. She misses crafting armor and weaponry, creating something from an unformed block, the satisfaction of making something new.
  • Although she is angry at Shayne for leaving, for not being there for so many key moments, he is still her brother and one she would sacrifice her own life to save. She will end any who threaten his safety, and she will not apologize for it.

Goals
  • Return home and run the family business.
  • Rid the area of barbarians, serve the royal family in protecting the land.

Secrets
  • Sabyne had packed her belongings many nights to sneak out and hunt for her brother, but every time she lost the courage to do so. Part of the anger she has towards him is her own guilt for never going to find him. Not that she'll ever admit it.
  • Word of her connection to The Axiomatic General and her martial prowess has made it to the ears of the King. He has kept tabs on her and plans to find ways to use the young Paladin for his own gains.

People
  • Timur & Masha Kuznetsov are her parents. She loves them dearly and will do anything to protect them, even if means leaving them.
  • Yelizaveta, Sabyne's best friend since childhood, she was raised devoutly religious and became a priestess of Arnut. Yeli recognized the gift of another god within Sabyne when they revealed themselves the night of the attack.
  • Irinushka. Although her name means woman of peace, she is anything but. It was she who led the barbarians into their village that night. Sabyne had seen it, too late to stop her, to late to stop the attack on the homes of her family and their neighbors, the attack that took so many lives and her father's arm. The young Kuznetsov reported the betrayer, others corroborated what she saw...but Irinushka escaped capture and is still hunted by the Royal Guard for her treasonous actions.

Memories, mannerisms or quirks
  • Impactful Sensory Memory The crackling sound of a fire, mixed with the smell of fresh baked bread and the sounds of laughter. It takes her back to dinners in her home, her mother's cooking and the warmth between her parents. The simple joys they had as a family. Anytime this combination is evoked, Sabyne relaxes subconsciously.
  • Ritual-like Quirk Each and every night, the young Paladin insists on sitting by a fire while cleaning her equipment. She boils water and soaks rags to remove mud caked into the links or deep crevices. Sabyne oils leather straps and uses a whetstone on her blade. She whispers prayers to The General, asking for strength of body and spirit, for guidance to avenge the loss of her father's limb, and for the safety of her companions.

Moments To Remember

7bee7c3d36470a62fc98732613f2f4ea.jpg

"Bean. Look. Blik. Thír." Timur's gruff deep voice was a warm blanket his daughter loved to hear, even if he was lecturing her on the differences between dwarven and elven weaponry. But she couldn't help rolling her eyes at his use of the same word in three languages. "I saw that, Bean. You know the importance of speaking the languages of the other crafters. Sabyne...I know you speak them just fine. But you must practice." His blue eyes had paled with age, his failing hairline hidden by the bandanna wrapped around his crown, but his beard still carried the family colors proudly.

She sighed, dropping her forehead into her palms. "Pops. Whether I say I know or merg vekkeg or sal thro, it all means the same. I know the importance of understanding the languages of dwarves and of elves. I know I have a lot to learn in how they speak and how they work the metals." Sabyne did not hide her teenage frustration. He had shifted the three axes he was originally asking her to look at, towards her. She heard the heavy weapons slide on the stone slab that was their work table. "Pops...can't we just be done today?" Now she was whining.

He snorted out a laugh. "Little one...we'll be done when I say we're done. Or your mother comes out to yell at us both." Timur then began to explain the differences in the way the three blades were shaped. How the methods of the dwarves created beautifully balanced weapons, their thick designs were heavy, but often caused more damage for it. Though some would claim there was a lack of elegance in the dwarven craftsmanship, her father showed the delicate details that showed it existed, and only a fool would claim the original master crafters lacked the skill. He then reviewed the thin slice of metal that was the elven ax. He lifted it and spun it in the air, explaining its lightness lended to an imbalance that forced the wielder to have martial prowess, but went on about how that it was not an ill made blade, it was intentional. Her father explained that artistry in elven culture was honored and respected, that art even existed in a fighters stance and the weapon they held was an extension of them. It was this that made them such deadly spies and killers.

Timur then held the human crafted blade. The one he had made. He explained how it fit the culture of humankind, how it had both delicate details and an elegance that neither the dwarves or elves would admit. Her dark blue eyes shifted to the side, they had caught the quick movement of her brother darting across grass. "Hey...can Shayne at least be in here too?" The whine had not diminished. "Please. Holflikk fran. Satisfui!" He raised his eyebrow, challenging her to continue. Sabyne groaned and dropped her head on crossed arms, no attempt to hide her frustration. Her father chuckled as her bright hair scattered on the table over the axes. "Go. Go and keep your brother out of trouble."

Practically tripping on the stool she had been sitting on, Sabyne ran out of the forge before her father could change his mind.

Sabyne lounged on the couch beside Shayne, really she had taken up the couch, leaving a small portion for him to sit. Even at almost sixteen she was tall, her legs long, but her body was bony, and currently her stick like toes poked the thigh of her brother. "You gonna ask her?" The digits of her foot prodded further. "Cooommme ooon, Shay. You know you want to...and she’s like the only girl left I haven’t scared away." She laughed, then slid herself up to sit, bending her knees. Her eyes sparkled with youthful joy, an innocence neither knew would fade sooner than it should. Her lips quirked to the side. "I left you one...more than you’ve left for me."

Shayne sprung from his corner of the couch, his lean form easily overpowering his scrawny sister as he put her in a gentle headlock. This celebration would be the coming of age for both of them; he had finally started to put on some bulk from all the manual labor around their homestead, where Sabyne was still a few growth spurts behind. "Not my fault Bean. If I were that interested in a girl, I'd be willing to get thrown into any number of mud pits; I only threw Yuri in one before he ran home crying." Yuri had been Shayne's best friend since they were little, and knowing what Shayne had done to every other boy who dared to ask (and those foolish enough not to) to court his sister, it honestly impressed him that Yuri had ever worked up the courage to say something to him. "Pops said every suitor I turn away is one less he has to. And he and I don't agree on anything! Family comes first. And if you can’t even protect yourself, then you certainly have no right to any sister of mine."

He tousled his sister's crimson locks before letting her go and laying back. There was a certain sort of irony to what Sabyne 'allowed' since he had no interest in Zelina. The town elderman's daughter was all airs and politeness on the outside, but she had a real rotten streak. The two of them had never gotten along. As children, they pulled each other's hair and kicked each other's shins almost more than Shayne fought with his sister. He didn't care if she was the prettiest girl in this or any town he'd ever been to!

He shot up and did his best facial imitation of Zalina. "Is this cake homemade? My father had the master baker come in from the next town over for my coming of age ceremony! Are these flowers from the field behind your house? I prefer gardenia's, though no one in town has been able to grow them except for me." He rolled his eyes and pushed a foot into his sister's ribs. "Really Bean? The only reason you haven't scared her off is because she hates me."

Sabyne had attempted to stop the physical harassment of her brother, but it was useless. She squirmed and groaned and batted his arms as he finally released her. Her full lips smirked as he tried to explain his lack of interest in the haughty girl. "Shay...please. Your eyes go all dreamy when Zalina is around." She batted her eyes and tucked her hands under her chin, mocking him. "I bet you have a diary full of poems about her. ‘Hair of flaxseed gold...eyes of greenest fields’" Laughter echoed out of her lips at the thought.

A smirk crept across Shayne’s face at his sister’s comment about poetry. "That’s not half bad! I’ll have to remember to add that to my poetry collection." He put his hands on his chest and dramatically rolled off the couch and onto his feet.

She settled her giggles and straightened her tousled locks. "I still can’t believe you threw Yuri into a mud pit. I wouldn’t have minded a dance with him." Sabyne squirmed a little at the thought, fiddling with her bony elbows. She shrugged after a moment and eyed her brother. "You’re lying, anyway...I’m sure of it. Yuri could date any girl, he wouldn’t want to be with some stick like me." The self-consciousness of the teenage girl was only visible to Shayne, she kept her strong exterior for all others, but with him, she could be vulnerable. She looked down at herself. "Anyways...what else do we need to do to get ready? What else has Mops asked us to get done?"

"Would I ever lie to you?" He turned back to face his sister, a more serious look on his face. Shayne was universally known around the village as the troublemaker, but he never lied to his family. His gaze softened as he saw his sister start to wallow. He liked to tease her, but in the end, he doted on his sister even more than his parents did. She was the one person who knew everything about him. He let out a soft sigh as he turned to look out the window. "I didn’t break his legs. And since Mops would kill me for getting blood on the new tunic she made for the ceremony, I suppose I wouldn’t beat him for just one dance." He’d have to let Yuri know tomorrow that he could have exactly one dance, and if he didn’t ask her, Shayne would just have to throw him in another mud pit!

He poked her in the head and started to walk toward the kitchen. "Grandpop’s still not doing well. I’ll take the old codger some soup. You get to sleep or you won’t be rested enough to dance with anyone."

She had fallen asleep quickly, as usual. It was easier since Shayne had taken his time coming back, he often rambled on in the darkness, wanting to continue conversations for hours, but Sabyne enjoyed her sleep, her body required it, and it claimed her that evening as soon as her eyes closed.

The sun filtering through the window in their room woke her. It had just begun to rise and she knew there was work to be done. Their room was silent. More silent then it should be. Her brother's snoring mutters were not present. No way he is up already. Sabyne turned her head towards his side of the room and saw his empty bed. She raised an eyebrow in doubt, as though he could be hiding in the mattress. "Shay?" Her morning voice croaked out.

Silence.

"Shayne?" Her voice more clear this time. She sat up as she questioned the empty room. Her eyes scanned but found nothing. His bed was psuedo-made, as it always way, the sheets and blanket set in place, but not tucked or pulled tight. The pillow lay askew. She shook her head. His dresser was partially opened, a sock on the floor. "Up early to get some brownie points, no doubt. Means you're up to something...or about to be caught for something already done." She laughed imagining what trouble was about to be uncovered, she had certainly done her part to hide whatever problems he caused, but some could be concealed for only so long.

Sabyne climbed out of bed and retrieved his fallen sock. Pulling the drawer fully open to place the dropped item, she discovered most of his clothes were missing. As was the dagger he never used. Her brow scrunched in confusion. She looked back to his bed. Where is he? Something was wrong. In her gut, in her heart, she knew something was wrong. Opening the door of their room, she called into the hallway. "Shayne?"

Silence.

Bethany_Bracken.jpg
She ran down the stairs. "Shayne!" It was no longer a question. Her heart was racing. Something was very wrong.

"Sabyne." Her mother's voice called out from the kitchen. "He's not here." She could hear the tears before she could see them.

"Mops? What? What do you mean he's not here?" Her stomach sank, she felt sick. "He's here somewhere. He didn't just disappear." She was trying to hide her panic. Mops was never one to exaggerate. "He wouldn't just vanish! Our...our celebration is today."

Her mother lifted her gaze to meet her daughter's. The whites of the woman's eyes were streaked with pink, a stark contrast to the green coloring. She tried to speak, but her lips moved with no sound following.

"No!" Sabyne shouted, as though refusing it could undo it. Her ears heard the echo of a hammer on metal. Turning on the ball of her foot, she ran out to the forge where she saw her father pounding a blade into existence. He looked determined, focused. But she knew he had seen her.

He continued to work the hot iron, not looking up. Her crimson hair scattered around her when she stopped running. Her voice called out. "Pops!" Timur did not raise his gaze, his hand swung down with a heavy weight. Anger began to boil in Sabyne. Something was wrong. Something was wrong, and they weren't going to tell her.

She grabbed a hammer from the rack, slamming it onto the stone slab beside the blade her father worked. "Pops! Where is Shayne?" The sound gave the man pause. His daughter's anger rarely showed, he knew as she grew it would be a force to be reckoned. "Sabyne..." His deep voice warned.

She slammed the hammer down again. "No. Don't Sabyne me. Where. Is. My. Brother." He raised his eyebrow. She had never challenged him, but it shouldn't have surprised him it would be Shayne that would be the one to cause it. Her father laid his tools on the stone and raised his eyes to hers. "He left. And when he returns it will be for him to tell you where he went."

The sounds of screaming echoed in her ears. Voices she recognized, friends, neighbors...family. Sabyne's lips smirked at the joy of the sound she caused. Her blade fell on writhing body, blood spattered her face.

She awoke to screams. Her hands pushed sweat off her brow. Sabyne scanned her palms, half expecting them to be covered in blood, but they simply glistened with the freshly wiped perspiration. The smell of burning wood captured her attention next.

Looking out the window of her room, the young Kuznetsov saw her village aflame. Suddenly her mother barreled in. "Sabyne. Get up, get your sword. Your father needs help." Masha was already pulling out the leather armor her daughter trained in, and forcing it onto the young woman. No longer scrawny, the last few years had built strong muscles onto her shoulders and back.

"Mops. I got it. What's going on?" She took hold of the straps her mother had been tightening. Her mother quickly explained the Vikmordere were attacking. They came in the darkness, raiding, burning, pillaging. Timur was down in the yard, trying to hold them off the forge which had enough weapons to be considered a small armory. "Go. Fight beside your father. I'll pick off what I can from the windows. We keep each other alive." Her mother was a sharpshooter with the crossbow. Sabyne always marveled at her mother's skill at finding her mark, regardless of distance. Her visual acuity made it impossible to hide anything, which was certainly frustrating at times, but a marvel nonetheless.

Sabyne quickly hugged and kissed her mother on the cheek, then quickly ran down the stairs, grabbing her longsword at the door and dashed to her father's side. She grinned from ear to ear, her blood pumped in her veins, adrenaline rushed through her system. "Hi Pops!" The sharp metal she wielded swung down on an unsuspecting barbarian, heralding her arrival. "Go back inside Sabyne." His ax arced through the air, decapitating another attacker. A bolt zipped past both red haired fighters, sinking into an eye of a wild man who charged the pair. Masha waved to her family before ducking to reload.

"Mops sent me. I'm not about to argue with her." The village was in flames, smoke filled the field, but it was the woman in the house they both feared. They shared a knowing look and shifted to stand back to back. They fought as a unit, protecting each other's flanks. "Shayne should be here!" She shouted over the sounds of battle. "Let it go Bean! Now is not the time!" They shifted and turned to meet the next wave. "It never is Pops! Where is he?"

And then he screamed. A sound that cut her to her core and called forth the rage that bubbled below the surface. Sabyne turned and saw her father on his knees, gripping his bicep. The rest of his arm lay on the ground a few feet away. A foreign ax sliced down toward her, she leaned back, barely out of the way. Her face would never be the same. She bellowed out a fearsome sound in response, her blade ended the last wild haired tattooed man, the one who's weapon had removed her father's limb, the one who provided the wound to her eye.

Sabyne sank to her knees beside him. Her hands fumbled in the pooling blood. "It's ok Pops. It's ok. It's..." Timur had begun to go into shock. His color had paled, his eyes vaguely blank. He watched his daughter's crimson hair. Masha ran out to meet them, her fingers danced on her lips. "Stay with me Pops. Come on, stay with us." She was frantic, tears began to stream down her cheeks. She brought the heel of her hand to her face to wipe away the drops that fell.

Wisps of pale white light began to expand from her hand. She was filled with warmth and an un-shaking confidence that she could help her father. Bringing her palm to his bloody stump, white ribbons wrapped around his wound and her hand, tying them together. "It's ok Pops." This time the words were calm and soothing, mirrored by the cooling sensation that encompassed his arm. No longer hot and bloody, his severed limp was heavily scabbed and healing.

Cheers from their neighbors sounded the end of the battle, but the Kuznetsov's remained silent in their yard, marveling at the wonder they had all just witnessed.

Shayne took the path from the Boreal Forest to Three Sisters with an easy stride. Spring in the region near his home had always been brisk and windy, but his sable fur cloak did a better job than he expected shielding him from the worst of the elements. He could feel his stomach twisting into knots as he climbed the last hill toward the house. Everything was exactly like he remembered it: He could just make out the tip of the brown fence that enclosed their home, the sound of hammer and nails at work, the smell of Mops' fresh baked bread.

What would be different after all this time? Had Pops let any of the useless boys from their village court Sabyne? He suspected Zalina had lowered her standards and found herself a husband by now...He even looked forward to seeing that goofy mustache his father had insisted on keeping...He chuckled to himself as he remembered Sabyne crying the only time Pops had ever shaved it. They were barely four years old, and Sabyne had insisted it wasn't their Pops.

As Shayne crested the hill, he saw Pops hammering away on the side of the house with what must be his sister giving him a hand. It seemed he had returned at the perfect time, even Mops had come outside with a light lunch for the pair. As he approached the gate, Shayne couldn't help but smirk. "I don't suppose you made any extra, did you Mops? I'm starvin'." He waved his left hand in the air, since his right held a bouquet of beautiful wildflowers in almost every color of the rainbow.

Sabyne's back was turned. She moved the heavy metals from water to flame. From the sizzle, her mind melted to memories, Shayne calling to their mom. Her head shook to scatter the thought.

When she turned, her eyes widened. The items in her hands fell. It wasn't a memory, it wasn't something that could be shaken away. There he stood. No longer a figment of her imagination. Shayne was back. Everyone was silent. Mouths slightly agape.

His clothing was nothing like when he left. Sturdy and functional earth colored linens replaced with black silks and leathers, even his boots were of a quality almost unheard of in Three Sisters. He probably looked more like a noble than the son of a blacksmith. His sister had grown quite a bit, while Shayne seemed to have only grown taller. His build was still lean, but he was far removed from the strapping young man who had left home all those years ago. He even had a few impressive scars to for his time, the most prevalent being the one that reached from his upper lip to his lower chin. After four long years...Shayne Kuznetsov was finally home. "Happy belated birthday Bean."

Straightening her back, Sabyne now stood her full height, taller than he had last seen her, but the greater difference was in how her form had filled out. Not only did she have the shape of a woman, but she had muscles that could challenge any man. Her hair red and wild as always blew back in the wind, exposing a scar that cut across her left eye. And her eyes, no longer full of playful innocence, there was anger and sadness. It was his sister, and yet not at all the sister he remembered, just as he was not the brother of her memories.

She slowly approached him. Her fingers stretching as she walked. "Happy belated birthday?" She didn't give him a chance to respond. Her fist clenched and quickly slammed into the base of his jaw. "Happy belated birthday!? Ath othok f*ckuroz kidduroz?!"

It wasn't like he was expecting them to all gather round and cry as they hugged him, but Shayne hadn't expected his sister to be so fast, or so strong! He could feel the blood welling up in his mouth from the solid hit. Part of him regretted ever teaching her how to properly throw a punch...

"Oi there you little troll! I thought we agreed no shots to the face!" Shayne could tell from the impact of the punch and her build that his 'little sister' wasn't the twigish little thing she had been when he left. It certainly didn't help that he hadn't been doing hard labor for the last four years.

Shayne cracked his neck and spit a bit of blood from his mouth as he stood back up to face Sabyne. It wasn't until he was this close that he was able to fully take stock of his sibling. The first thing he noticed was the scar. His hand went up to the side of her face, turning it slightly to inspect the damage. His jovial tone vanished. "Who gave you that?" His gaze immediately went to Pops. How the hell had he let that happen? It was only then he saw the state his father was in, a missing arm...What the hell had happened while he was gone?

She flinched when he touched her face, but didn't pull away. "You would know if you'd been here." Her midnight glare shot daggers at him. Though they noticed the changes to his own features. The scar that graced his lip, the stubble on his jawline. He was not the boy who vanished.

Her heart began to steady. Her voice lowered, releasing the anger previously laced in the tone. Her hand reached up to his chin. "What happened to you? Where did you go?"

Shayne's jaw tightened at the question and he leveled a steely gaze at his sister; his mind reviewing the events of the last four years in almost perfect detail. His memories didn't give him the sense of wonder or amazement he imagined they would, only guilt for being gone when it seemed his family needed him. "I missed you too Bean." He wrapped his sister in a hug. She had every right to be angry with him. From her perspective he had just up and left. But Pops had kept his end of the bargain, he hadn't told them anything. Shayne wasn't about to bring all of this on them now.

She stood stiff and still as his arms wrapped around her. Sabyne didn't know what to do. "Damn it Shayne." A tear broke loose of her eyelash, falling down her cheek. She tried to move her arm to wipe her cheek, but her brother held her tight. "Damn it Shayne." The annoyance of a sibling now laced her voice as she wiggled loose.

He knocked heads with his twin and smiled. "You turned into quite the ogre since I was gone! I hope I wasn't the first man to feel that right hook!" He took a step back. "Now are you going to let me say hi to Mops and Pops, or are you gonna slug me again...Because don't think I won't hit you because you're a girl!" The time they had spent apart had changed them both, but deep down, Sabyne was still Sabyne. His goofy, younger by seven seconds sister.

"Troll, and now ogre. You certainly have a way of endearing yourself to others." She brought her hand to wipe the trickle of blood that trailed away from his lip. "Go say hi." And then she lowered her voice. "Don't stare at his arm." Sabyne backed away, but didn't follow. She let him reunited with their parents on his own.

Shayne tousled his sister's hair like he used to. "Don't worry, I'll have Mops making us her famous sharlotka in no time!" He walked past his sister and gave his mom a hug. She was crying. That might be the first time he had ever seen her cry. He pulled her to arms length and flashed her his most charming smile, offering up the flowers to her. "I don't suppose there is some sharlotka waiting for me is there?" Masha pushed him away and smiled.

Finally, Shayne walked up to his father. The man looked tired. He remembered thinking his old man could work round the clock and never stop, now he looked like he wanted nothing more than to get a moment's rest. Shayne raised his right hand to shake his father's. The man looked down at his son's outstretched hand and then to the stump where his right arm used to be. He squinted and took a half step forward as though he was going to hit his son. "You little der'mo!" Shayne grinned and wrapped his father in a hug. "I'm sorry I wasn't here Pops…"

Timur just wrapped his left arm around his son. "We all made sacrifices...No need for apologies." As the pair separated he took stock of his son. "You any better with a hammer?"

"Nope."

"Then grab those tongs and pray Sabyne was done after that last one…"

Sabyne Kuznetsov - Human Paladinspacer.png

AC: 17 | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Divine Sense: 3/3 | Lay on Hands: 15/15

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Reaction: Interception

Spells

Casting Ability: Charisma
Spell Save DC: 12
Spell Attack Modifier: +4
Spell Slots: 3 

Bane (C)Up to three creatures of your choice that you can see within range must make Charisma saving throws. Whenever a target that fails this saving throw makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target must roll a d4 and subtract the number rolled from the attack roll or saving throw.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st.

Bless (C)You bless up to three creatures of your choice within range. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st.

CommandYou speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn. The spell has no effect if the target is undead, if it doesn't understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it.

Some typical commands and their effects follow. You might issue a command other than one described here. If you do so, the DM determines how the target behaves. If the target can't follow your command, the spell ends.

Approach. The target moves toward you by the shortest and most direct route, ending its turn if it moves within 5 feet of you.

Drop. The target drops whatever it is holding and then ends its turn.

Flee. The target spends its turn moving away from you by the fastest available means.

Grovel. The target falls prone and then ends its turn.

Halt. The target doesn't move and takes no actions. A flying creature stays aloft, provided that it is able to do so. If it must move to stay aloft, it flies the minimum distance needed to remain in the air.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can affect one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Cure WoundsA creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.

Hunter's Mark (B) (C)You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack, and you have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find it. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd or 4th level, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 8 hours. When you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 24 hours.

Wrathful SmiteThe next time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your attack deals an extra 1d6 psychic damage. Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the spell ends. As an action, the creature can make a Wisdom check against your spell save DC to steel its resolve and end this spell.

Stat Block

Sabyne Kuznetsov
Human Paladin of Vengeance (3)

Str 16   Dex 10   Con 14   Int 10   Wis 13   Cha 14
HP 28/28   HD 3d10/3d10   AC 17   Speed 30 ft

Passive Perception 13   Initiative 0
Languages Common, Dwarvish & Elvish
Background Guild Artisan: Blacksmith   Feature 
Guild MembershipAs an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides. Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.

Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or magic items to the guild’s coffers.

You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild’s good graces.

• Longsword +5 attack, 1d10+3 slashing damage plus Bonus Attack+5, 1d8 slashing
 Warhammer +5 attack, 1d10+3 bludgeoning damage plus Bonus Attack+5, 1d8 bludgeoning

• Javelin +5 thrown attack, 1d6+3 piercing

Proficiency +2   Saving Throws Wisdom, Charisma
Skills Athletics, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, Persuasion & Survival
Tools Smith's Tools
Instruments ...
Weapons Simple weapons, martial weapons
Armor All armor, shields
Feats 
Dueling MasterUnparalleled in single combat, gain the following benefits:
• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you wield a one-handed weapon or versatile weapon and no other weapons or a shield.
• While you wield a one-handed weapon or versatile weapon and no other weapons or a shield, you can use a bonus action to make an additional attack, the attack must be one handed if the weapon is versatile. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

Features Divine Sense (3)Unparalleled in single combat, gain the following benefits:
• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you wield a one-handed weapon or versatile weapon and no other weapons or a shield.
• While you wield a one-handed weapon or versatile weapon and no other weapons or a shield, you can use a bonus action to make an additional attack, the attack must be one handed if the weapon is versatile. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.
Lay on Hands (15)Your blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level × 5.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

This feature has no effect on undead and constructs.
Fighting Style: InterceptionWhen a creature you can see hits a target, other than you, within 5 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 1d10 + your proficiency bonus (to a minimum of 0 damage). You must be wielding a shield or a simple or martial weapon to use this reaction.Divine SmiteStarting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon’s damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend, to a maximum of 6d8.Divine HealthBy 3rd level, the divine magic flowing through you makes you immune to disease.Channel Divinity (1)Your oath allows you to channel divine energy to fuel magical effects. Each Channel Divinity option provided by your oath explains how to use it.

When you use your Channel Divinity, you choose which option to use. You must then finish a short or long rest to use your Channel Divinity again.

Some Channel Divinity effects require saving throws. When you use such an effect from this class, the DC equals your paladin spell save DC.
Channel Divinity: Harness Divine PowerYou can expend a use of your Channel Divinity to fuel your spells. As a bonus action, you touch your holy symbol, utter a prayer, and regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up). The number of times you can use this feature is based on the level you’ve reached in this class: 3rd level, once; 7th level, twice; and 15th level, thrice. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.Channel Divinity: Abjure EnemyAs an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer of denunciation, using your Channel Divinity. Choose one creature within 60 feet of you that you can see. That creature must make a Wisdom saving throw, unless it is immune to being frightened. Fiends and undead have disadvantage on this saving throw.

On a failed save, the creature is frightened for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. While frightened, the creature’s speed is 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.

On a successful save, the creature’s speed is halved for 1 minute or until the creature takes any damage.
Channel Divinity: Vow of EnmityAs a bonus action, you can utter a vow of enmity against a creature you can see within 10 feet of you, using your Channel Divinity. You gain advantage on attack rolls against the creature for 1 minute or until it drops to 0 hit points or falls unconscious.Oath Spells3rd
bane, hunter’s mark

5th
hold person, misty step

9th
haste, protection from energy

13th
banishment, dimension door

17th
hold monster, scrying