Rider Z

image.jpeg.6fa51566dcf2da9f5ce9d82cfac24677.jpeg

Basic Dossier:

Name: Julian Tuffin

Nationality: American

Playbook: The Professional

Course:  Law/Criminology

Concept:

You know that idea, that people who come from humble beginnings and are successful remain humble? Julian is the walking, breathing, challenge to that idea. A cocky, self-made and self-assured, FBI agent/monster hunter from America finds himself across the Atlantic all the way in Oxford. For two reasons. One because he's been meaning to finish out his education and two he really needs the paycheck.

Music:

OOC: Before I get to all of the music choices here, you have to understand one thing. This is not just a list of music I think fits Julian, this is what he listens to regularly. I say that, because I feel like it gives pretty good insight into his personality and the type of guy he is.

"You gotta know one thing about me. Well, really you gotta know more than just that. But this is the most important. I don't chase monsters, I chase paychecks."

2 3 4 5 6

Appearance

Julian's got the looks of a California surfer-bro. Lanky limbs, wavy sand blonde hair, and a slight tan to his skin. If he had a carefree smile you might be able to place him as that. But he doesn't smile much. In fact more often than not he carries a frustrated look on his face, like a man in a constant state of irritation. A look that ages his otherwise youthful face by a good number of years. Often making the 20 something year old look far older.

He dresses in clothes that can be considered anything but casual. He's not always in a suit persay, but there's always a tie. One he often finds himself fiddling with in frustration.

Personality

Julian is a... self-assured man. He's a man who came from nothing, worse than nothing if you asked him. And you would be inclined to agree with him if you heard a couplimage.jpeg.abd533e703ae919a013e28584882a61a.jpege of stories about his old neighborhood. Despite that however, he graduated from Highschool two years early and joined the FBI at the age of 23. The youngest possible age for any agent. These facts are the reason Julian has an ego and doesn't hide it. In addition, if you looked up the word workaholic in the dictionary you'd find a picture of Julian next to it. He's a professional and everyone needs to know it.

Unprofessionally however, Julian has very little going for him. It seems like the only hobby the man has is doting on his car, which he lovingly refers to as the Firebird. Probably because of the huge phoenix painted on its front hood. On his days off, which are rare and dwindling, Julian can be found driving nowhere in particular int he Firebird. Blasting a mixtape of what he considers high art rock at full volume.

Of course, this is just Julian on the surface level. There's more to him than just ego, cars, and bad rock. See how he talks to his little sister and that'll become apparent in an instant. The man has a soft side and is extremely protective of those close to him. Just... good luck with that.

Julian's one true love, the 1977 Trans Am Pontiac Firebird

The Past

Julian was born in a shitty town on the edge of California that will remain unnamed for now. Here's a hint though, it ranked number 17 on a list of one hundred U.S. cities ranked by the worse drug use. With a whopping 13.8% of the population hooked on crystal. Guess what was his Ma and Pa's favorite pastime? The details don't matter much. But you need to know that in the house Julian grew up in, he wore his shoes to bed for two reasons. One so he'd feel it if his dad tried to steal them and two so that he jumped out of bed in the morning he didn't need to worry on stepping on a needle.

He only ever had one goal, getting the hell out of that house. For kids like him, who were only sort of clever and not a genius, that meant doing well in school and then shipping off to the military or police academy. He chose the latter. Though himage.jpeg.afff23413a97b1c91837a7b48296c57f.jpegis focus wasn't on being some pig in blue, he had loftier goals. A spook. Every kid has their rebellious phase, when they go in the opposite direction of their dad or mom. Just so happened that Julian's was in a good one.

Of course, it wasn't all just to piss off the old man. There was one other reason Julian needed to get out and get a job that fast. His little sister, June Tuffin. He wasn't about to sit back and let her rot in that place. So the second he got a job at 18 he got legal custody of her and moved them both as far away from California as possible. Over the next few years he worked his ass off to both raise her and achieve his own goals. Managing both by the skin of his teeth. In Julian's eyes, it was victory.

But victory has a way of getting to a man's head.

Julian's not so peachy personality made him butt heads with others in his department on more than one occasion, and there was only so much his impressive record could make up for. Eventually he found himself moved to desk duty, then worse. Transferred. All the way to the Department of Unusual Incidents, the DUI. Its name being the same as the crime was the focus of much laughs in his old office. Any agent working there would be a laughing stock, him included. It infuriated Julian of course and the only thing on his mind was how he'd get back to a respectable branch of the FBI. Of course, he'd have bigger worries soon enough.

Julian's teenage sister, June Tuffin

The DUI

The Department of Unusual Incidents was founded over one hundred years ago under the Lincoln administration. The specifics are classified, but reportedly the president had an encounter that spooked him so bad he made it a focus of his presidential powers to establish a department that could handle problems considered unusual. Of course the following Civil War took most of his attention and before he could focus on his passion project a bullet focused on the back of his head. So the DUI remained a mostly obscure and underfunded department at the fringe edge of the FBI.

This would become a trend for the DUI. Over the years it became more and more forgotten by the rest of the administration to the point of neglect. Serving as a place where careers went to die and occasionally as a retirement home for agents who the agency just couldn't get rid of. This however, suited the DUI just well. As their jobs were well benefited by secrecy and being overlooked by others. Even if the lack of funding meant they only ever had half of what they needed.

This continued to the modern age.

Oxford and the DUI

(OOC: A lot of the details I'm undecided on, and fully willing to work out with you. Same goes with details on the DUI in general actually. The following is mostly just a pitch)

Some hundred years ago or so the DUI made contact with the Master's of Oxford. It did not go well. It nearly started a full blown war between the two groups, until cooler heads prevailed. They signed some documents stating a code of conduct between both groups, essentially stating that the DUI wouldn't touch anything in England and the Master's would extend the same courtesy for the USA.

There was however, a small clause. Occasionally there would be a... "culture swap" so to speak. An Agent from the DUI sent to Oxford and vice versa. Originally both sides thought this would be an excellent way to keep up peace relations, in truth both groups ended up just sending their undesirables to the other in time. Not wanting to "waste" any of the good talent. This has lead to a constant decline in relations over the years, the atmosphere growing tense between both organizations.

Most recently, Julian Tuffin has been selected to send off to Oxford. Officially because he's young and can play the part of student well, unofficially because his superiors were tired of dealing with his attitude.

Crunch:

THE PROFESSIONAL:

STATS:

CHARM: -1

COOL: +3

SHARP: +1

TOUGH: +1

WEIRD: +0

MOVES:

Bottle It Up - Flavor: Julian has been bottling it up all his damn life. Sometimes when the going is tough you need to put your head down and get to work. Even if it blows up in your face afterwards. And damn does it blow up.

Unfazeable - Flavor: Man is the real monster blah, blah, blah. Point is, you don't grow up where Julian did without seeing some shit. And you certainly don't work in the FBI's drug department without seeing anything stomach churning either.

Tactical Genuis - Flavor: When you're busting down the door with your swat and FBI buddies (or work acquaintances in Julian's case), its about one thing and one thing only. Getting the job done fast and efficiently. That was two things, but you get the point.

Mobility - Flavor: The Firebird. Julian's one true love. Need I say more?

GEAR:

Flak Vest (1-armour, hidden)

Sniper Rifle

Shotgun

Big Knife

(I know guns are risky here, but someone needs to have them and its really funny to me if its the American who does. Stereotypes as they are.)

Edited by Rider Z (see edit history)

I like that backstory. I don't think it fits to have any open connections between the DUI and Oxford. I think it would need to be that you are following a US case, and get a lead that suggests some major player or artefact (necessary to crack the case) is hidden in Oxford.

Then you get 21 Jump Streeted undercover, either illegally , or after calling in some favours with MI5. Feel free to be older and a grad student if that's a better fit?

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

Hmm, if there's no room for a connection between the DUI and Oxford before hand then no need to shoehorn it in. We can drop that completely. Also I like the 21st jump street angle a lot, so I'm down with doing that. Especially because it's going to lead to a very interesting way I'll have to play Julian.

It also just makes sense that he'd be chosen for this job. He's a relatively young man (so I'll keep the age as is) who has both expressed interest in furthering his education and is very much capable of it. I imagine most DUI agents as the standard middle-aged, jaded, monster hunter types. So they'd stick out like a sore thumb. With Julian he's at least only jaded.

Regarding whether he's there illegally or not, I'm thinking he's there fairly officially. Getting in was probably the easy part actually, like I said earlier it just makes sense when looking at him from the outside. The only thing they'd probably have to do is scrub some of his connection to the DUI in specific, which I imagine would be easy enough.

As for the specific reason that he was sent, regarding the case or however. That's interesting to me as well. Whether it shakes out as apart of the main plot or a b plot I like the idea a lot.