Making a Shadowrunesque Modern Game Using SW5E Rules

Rumblejumble

Intro

So I'm actually here from Reddit for reasons that are currently all over the internet, but that's sad and not so much relevant to what I want to say, so ignoring it for now. Depressing blurb aside, hello! I was actually working on this before the site fell apart and wanted a little feedback before jumping straight in. So this is a 5e campaign idea using the SW5E rules with a couple modifications that takes place in the modern day. I've wanted to run something like this for a while, but always had trouble getting the right rule set down and I feel like Star Wars 5e actually works really well for a modern campaign.

Basic Setting Info

Takes place in a former high magic setting, one in which all the various planes have been taken over by the forces of evil and chaos. All that remained was the material plane, now forcibly cut off from any form of the weave or divine magic. In time they abandoned traditional magic for technology and now it looks very similar to modern day earth. There are ads for special tabaxi fur shampoo, tiefling teenagers making prank videos with dissonant whispers, and dwarves yelling on social media about elves encouraging their children to shave. However, Ethertech and psionics still exist, replacing the traditional microchips and USB cords of our current tech.

All that changed around thirty years ago when the first Ethergate was opened and for just a few moments one of the lost planes was reconnected to the material plane. Now known as Red Wednesday, over thirty people died and over a hundred were injured before the demonic bulette was contained. It wasn't long before these Ethergates began appearing all over the world as the buildup of magical energies started to bore holes into our world. Hundreds of thousands perished in just a few days and even now the heroes that stepped up are regarded as legends.

Now known as Adepts, they're individuals with the training and power necessary to take on all kinds of monstrous threats and granted considerable legal leeway when they do so. Broken up into various Guilds, these Adepts take on all sorts of jobs relating to the Ethergates. This can mean hunting down monsters that have snuck into our world, investigating those who have been corrupted by magic, making a dangerous expedition to one of the Fallen Planes, and even taking on other Adepts that use their abilities with malicious purpose.

Aesthetic Changes

There are a couple different non-mechanical changes in this world. First is Ethertech. Ether is essentially a crystalline or liquid form of magic that acts as a power source for most technology. Power cells are batteries that have been filled with Ether and while most modern places have a connection to large city generators, most people still carry power cells for convenience sake. Lightsabers, known in universe as Etherblades, are specially treated weapons that are charged with Ether.

Secondly, most class features are extensions of something called Aptitude. While commonly associated with psionics (force powers), it's also what allows Berserkers to rage, Engineers to magically manipulate technology, Fighters to move at inhuman speeds when they Action Surge, etc. It's possible to measure Aptitude and those with a naturally high Aptitude are encouraged to become Adepts. It even noticeably rises when engaging in dangerous situations like fighting monsters, evading a series of traps, etc.

Mechanical Changes

Just a few changes to the system to better fit the setting as it is essentially a mix of traditional D&D and futuristic D&D.

Treat Energy Damage as Radiant Damage for the purposes of reduction, vulnerability, etc.

Robotics are still a thing (Warforged, Autognome, etc), but are far less common.

In relation to the rule above, Ion damage is now Stun damage. Useful for non-lethal takedowns and the preferred weapon of peacekeepers. Still effects machinery and robotics in the same way.

Lightsabers are now Etherblades. They function similarly, but have a more medieval appearance versus a beam of light and still look like regular weapons while inert. Inert Etherblades only inflict half their regular damage in Slashing damage and many abilities can't function, like deflecting energy bolts. In addition, if you start with or create an Etherblade you choose whether it inflicts Energy, Fire, Lightning, or Necrotic damage. Others that inflict Force/Sonic/Psychic/etc do also exist, but are considerably rarer and require specialized materials.

Vibroweapons are now just regular weapons that don't need any kind of power source.

If anyone more familiar with the system has any suggested changes I'm all ears.

Character Creation

Starting at level 5, choice of two 4d6 drop the lowest arrays, regular starting credits x10. Take the average for hit points. Races are taken from standard D&D instead of the usual Star Wars Species.

Questions

Posting this here first if anyone has advice, questions, criticisms, etc. I'm obviously new here and would appreciate the help, even if it's to tell me my ideas are terrible. Especially want to get this down solid before actually making the game or ad, as I know how much it can suck for changes to happen after spending the time to make a character.