Groups  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Group Do You Prefer?

• Proposal 1
    • Proposal 2
    • Proposal 3
    • Proposal 4
    • Proposal 5
    • Other (please list complete groupings)

@Rumblejumble I have a couple questions that might apply to everyone, so I hope it's ok if I start this general question thread.

1. Do you know when you would like to start this game?

2. For starting equipment, you said we had 4000 credits to spend. Is this in addition to our starting equipment? I assumed this was, but I see other apps didn't include that.

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

Oooh! I've got one too!

What's the regular life at Starlancer Academy like? Is this more a military/firm discipline place, where everything's regimented and the rules are strict? Or is it closer to a school, relaxed education, free time, clubs and stuff.

Sorry for the late reply guys, been busy IRL. Yeah, I went ahead and put an OC thread up, but I'll go ahead and answer questions now.

Looking to start the game in the next couple days.

It was meant to replace it entirely, but honestly not a big deal. In addition to anything you loot while playing, the Academy provides real basic gear for free.

The Academy is entirely new to them.

It's a very loose environment. You can sign up for any classes or clubs that you might want to join. If there's space most classes can be sat in without even signing up. Not really the kind of place that hands out multi answer test sheets.

No worries. Glad you're still here. I can't reply to the OC thread. It looks like you set it up like the Overview or Lore categories where only you can post. I think it needs to be set up like Applications and then an OOC thread started as a new topic. I haven't DM'd on BALDR yet so I'm not exactly sure how to do any of that.

What I've typically seen is a category called "Gameplay" or something like that and then topics for IC and OOC threads.

@Rumblejumble  mentioned seven good applications and wanting to separate into two classes. I’m not good at this, but I will attempt to identify and summarize the characters to see if there are natural separations:

1. Phntom888, Evelyn - Guardian Noble - Melee

2. Inquisitor, Princess - Sentinel Spacer - Face

3. Bob, Kamikaze - Scout Smuggler - Pilot & Tech

4. Jubal, Arrol - Sentinel Pirate - Pilot, Tech, Face

5. RillaTaj, Ni-Kas - Scholar, Scientist - Tech, Physician

6. Harding, Vince - Fighter, Killer - Combat & Stealth

7. Lunar mist, Miyuki - Scholar, Scientist - Sniper & Medic

So, I think we separate the two Scholars and two Sentinels. Separate the two pilots: Arrol and Kamikaze. Separate the two combat monsters of Evelyn and Vince. Here’s a suggestion:

A. Ni-Kas, Princess, Kamikaze, Evelyn

B. Miyuki, Arrol, Vince

What are your thoughts?

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

I didn't have Ni-Kas as finished since they still need to update all their equipment and actions. But I had Jackal and Passione as complete. Ultimately, that's up to Rumble.

So with that, as far as two teams, I started with my character on Team 2 and tried to round out roles. Since she is a techie and a blaster, I put Vince and Vos on team 1. Then since Vos is a sniper, I put Miyuki on team 2. Princess and Evelyn are both melee so I split them up, and Princess and Arrol are both sentinels so I put Arrol with Evelyn and Seethroo with Princess. Finally, since Vos and Seethroo are the full casters, I put Evelyn/Arrol in Class 1 and Princess/Seethroo in Class 2.

So here's what I propose, just to get the discussion started. Happy to make any changes to this.

Proposal 1:

Class 1: Harding's Vince, Jackal's Vos, Phntm's Evelyn, and Jubal's Arrol

(Fighter, Engineer, Guardian, Sentinel)

Class 2: Bob's Kam, Luner's Miyuki, Inquisitor's Princess, and Passione's Seethroo-Yee

(Scout, Scholar, Sentinel, Consular)

Proposal 2:

Jubal makes a good point about separating Vince and Evelyn. I could see swapping Evelyn and Arrol to team 2 and Princess and Seethroo-Yee to team 1. The above team two might be a little light on combat.

Class 1: Harding's Vince, Jackal's Vos, Inquisitor's Princess, and Passione's Seethroo-Yee

(Fighter, Engineer, Sentinel, Consular)

Class 2: Bob's Kam, Luner's Miyuki, Phntm's Evelyn, and Jubal's Arrol

(Scout, Scholar, Guardian, Sentinel)

I don't have a clear vote, but I'd note that while Arrol and Tavia are both Sentinels, we specced pretty differently. Arrol goes for ranged combat and works in tech powers, Princess is more your classic melee build. I'm still very new to this system, and don't feel I've properly caught up with all the other aps, but at a glance I'd say Arrol's closer to Kam than Tavia.

Honestly, like Inquisitor D, I didn't caught with the others app, but will in a soon future and give my input about party composition.

On his end, Vince is built toward ranged combat, specially blast/rapid fire weapons and won't shy going in melee too with his snap shot style (no opportunity attack shooting while in melee). But he will be a bit dependent of short rests thank any other classes because of maneuvers/action surges. I think he would fit more with a party that would be more ''surgical'' than ''kick the door and deal with it'' as an approach to combat encounters.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Inquisitor D said:

I don't have a clear vote, but I'd note that while Arrol and Tavia are both Sentinels, we specced pretty differently. Arrol goes for ranged combat and works in tech powers, Princess is more your classic melee build. I'm still very new to this system, and don't feel I've properly caught up with all the other aps, but at a glance I'd say Arrol's closer to Kam than Tavia.

Hmm. Arrol doesn’t have any tech powers, And he’s fairly evenly divided between range and melee. FWIW

cheers

1 hour ago, Inquisitor D said:

Good point. Maybe that split was too arbitrary. So then here's a 3rd Option that makes Class 1 two full casters and two non casters, then Class 2 is four partial casters. This might be the best balanced out of the three, with Class 1 being more "surgical" and Class 2 more "kick the door in and deal with it," but both would be able to manage the other method if they need to.

Proposal 3

Class 1: Harding's Vince, Jackal's Vos, Luner's Miyuki, and Passione's Seethroo-Yee

(Fighter, Engineer, Scholar, Consular)

Class 2: Bob's Kam, Phntm's Evelyn, Inquisitor's Tavia, and Jubal's Arrol

(Scout, Guardian, Sentinel, Sentinel)

Hmm. I suggest we need to look at key roles and skills, instead of casting potential. Maybe if someone is so inclined to inventory all the PCs top skills, tools, and abilities in ranged or melee combat. For example, each group should have a good face, good pilot, good medic, and maybe someone who can use kits of demolitions, slicer’s and security. Unfortunately, I don’t have that time to do.

cheers

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Looking through the skills you listed, it looks like for Proposal 3, Class 1 is missing a security kit. Everything else is covered by both classes. Ranged, melee, face, pilot, medic, demolitions, and slicers are all covered by each group. Proposal 2 had the same deficiency, while proposal 1 left one group without demolitions. This covers all of your requests.

Proposal 4

Class 1: Jackal's Vos, Luner's Miyuki, Phntm's Evelyn, and Jubal's Arrol

(Engineer, Scholar, Guardian, Sentinel)

Class 2: Bob's Kam, Harding's Vince, Passione's Seethroo-Yee, and Inquisitor's Tavia

(Scout, Fighter, Consular, Sentinel)

Each party has a main melee character and either 1 mixed and 2 ranged or 2 mixed and 1 ranged. Each has 1 tech caster and 2 force casters. Each has one full caster, two half casters, and one non-caster. Each has 2 pilots, 2-3 faces, and an INT class. Both parties cover slicer, security, and demolitions. Both parties can cover healing either through skills or casting.

9 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

Looking through the skills you listed, it looks like for Proposal 3, Class 1 is missing a security kit. Everything else is covered by both classes. Ranged, melee, face, pilot, medic, demolitions, and slicers are all covered by each group. Proposal 2 had the same deficiency, while proposal 1 left one group without demolitions. This covers all of your requests.

Proposal 4

Class 1: Jackal's Vos, Luner's Miyuki, Phntm's Evelyn, and Jubal's Arrol

(Engineer, Scholar, Guardian, Sentinel)

Class 2: Bob's Kam, Harding's Vince, Passione's Seethroo-Yee, and Inquisitor's Tavia

(Scout, Fighter, Consular, Sentinel)

Hummm, seems like good mechanical fits here. Backstories wise, I think if we switch Arroll and Seethroo-Yee, we're going to have two very different flavors of parties for this game. One would be a bunch of mavericks/criminals/misfits and the other would be more ''boy scout, down to earth''. I don't know if it would be a good thing or not: just mentioning my impression flavor wise.