Vadania Holimion (Wood Elf Monk)

CraterShip

Previous experience: I have attempted to play several 5e games, but sadly they seem to fizzle after a short time. In an effort to learn the rules best, I have been GMing a homemade (read completely winging it) campaign for my daughter. As such I know the rules (sort of) but could benefit greatly from a chance to play through more.

I have not had any experience in Baldr yet, I have been meaning to figure out this side's sheets and coding, so I'll see what I can do there as I build!

Character Concept / Ideas:

Wood Elf monk, trained as a scout in the military. Well respected for fearlessness, still commands an air of authority.

Character sheet:

https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2812424

spacer.png

Edited by CraterShip (see edit history)

Respected Military Scout

Following blindly leads to death

Appearance

Vadania is a tall, well built woman who appears to be in her late twenties to early thirties, though is closer to five times that age due to her elven heritage. She has dark red-brown hair, deep green eyes, fair skin, and has two scars running from her right cheek to her neck. She moves like a prowling cat, with silent carefully controlled actions, which can turn to explosive action when needed.

• Scarred across her right cheek and chin. She once allowed an opponent to strike at her face with a dual bladed gauntlet to allow herself to step into the attack, driving her sword through the opponent's heart. She wears the scars with pride now, a clear demonstration of her willingness to endure sacrifice to ensure victory.
  • Youthful despite her age, she appears quite young. Similar to a human woman in her mid to late twenties. Attractive in a traditional sense with dark red hair and deep green eyes.
  • Approachable demeanor, despite her reputation. She is fierce in the face of adversity, but always willing to listen to even the smallest need. This, combined with her other personality traits has earned her the respect of many as a capable and caring leader.
  • Carries the broken sword of a particularly difficult opponent. It is said she broke it with a single bare handed strike, a rumor she has not contradicted.

Personality

Vadania is a kind, caring person. She seems to make friends in an easy and natural way - the kind of way that soldiers do so quickly. She carries an authority with her like a cowl draped over her shoulders. Especially other soldiers seem to recognize this, but it is apparent to all. When threatened, she remains steadfast and stoic, though a threat against those she cares about is met with immediate retribution.

• Commands respect from those around her, especially other soldiers. She has repeatedly earned that respect through her actions. She is especially respected by fellow scouts, and those she served directly with.
  • Steely resolve. Vadania does not scare easily, steadfast in stance and conviction.
  • Jaded by too many foolish commanders. She has seen too many battles where scout reports went unheeded, and commanders chose to charge straight into a losing battle. Her ability to find enemy weaknesses for the line soldiers led to saving many men, and contributed to her promotions and respect, yet still many see her as a "lowly scout."
  • Caring attitude, especially toward those she commands. She has a significant case of "mama bear" syndrome for those in her charge - willing to step in to make sure things are right, even if it costs her.

History

In her youth, Vadania Holimion lived primarily off the land in the deep woods, far inland from the Sword Coast. Her family moved from place to place, primarily following the availability of resources. The migration of herd animals or the season for ripening fruits often heralded a new, always temporary, home. The only portion of her life which was ever-present was her study of martial arts, which she learned from her father and aunt. She didn't mind, it was the way of life, she had no idea of any other way. In her mid thirties (still quite young for an elf), she left home, wanting to learn more about the world she lived in.

She was not fully prepared for what she found. Humans and other races living in giant stone buildings, even castles, with no prospect of moving from place to place. And to make it worse, they always seemed to be in conflict with one another over which portions of the surrounding land belonged to one of them or the other. While foraging one day, she found several wounded soldiers and helped guide them back to their encampment. Their commander thanked her, and offered her a position as a scout in his service. It seemed like a simple enough posting - just wandering the woodlands and reporting what she saw. She made quick and easy work of it.

Through her time as a soldier scout, she trained several others to move like she did, to blend into their surroundings - she even tried to teach some of them her martial katas. Some took to it, but many simply saw it as a way for her to blow off steam or get away from the rest of camp life. She continued as a scout for several years.

During one particularly perilous scouting mission, she witnessed an advancing hoard of goblins and orcs, which would severely hinder the troop's movement. She reported it to her command, but they brushed it off, saying they had dealt with goblins before with little trouble. She tried to impress upon her commander the size of the force, but was summarily dismissed - what could she know? She was just a scout, overinflating the size of an opponent to make herself look good. If there truly was a force of orcs and goblins, they would already be aware.

Their camp was attacked that night, many were killed in their sleeping tents with only the minimum guardposts manned. Her report had gone completely unheeded. Vadania and her contingent of scouts were able to roust many, and set up a proper defensive position, turning the tide of the battle in their favor. During one charge, an orc swung a longsword between their shield wall, slicing down beside Vadania, as the orc pulled back for another swing, she trapped the blade between a shield and her forearm, slamming her palm into the side of the sword. Its crude build snapped, and she recovered the broken portion. Vadania advanced on the orc, who still wielded a gauntlet with two blades protruding over his fist. The orc seemed to rage forward, seeing Vadania with his broken blade - striking wildly at the elven woman. She managed to avoid his attacks, but couldn't find an opening to strike back. Fearing she would be driven back too far, she knew she had to stop his advance before they reached the rest of the soldiers or he would immediately start swinging wildly at all of them.

She waited for her best opportunity, and leapt forward to strike. His twin bladed gauntlet cut across her cheek and down her neck. If she were any slower, it would likely have taken her entire head. Her position put her inside the orc's superior reach, and she drove his own broken blade between his ribs - piercing his heart and stopping his attack instantly. As his body fell, it became apparent he was a leader amongst the enemy, as they began retreating at haste.

That was the last mission Vadania ever served as a soldier. She resigned her position, it was clear the commanders did not value her services, nor listen to her reports. Too many died that shouldn't have, and she would not continue to be a part of their battles. She set out for the Sword Coast, intent on starting a new chapter. Perhaps she would find a new home in Phandalin.

@Shocker a second personality trait? I didn't know that was a thing. From the same background or a different one?

Edit: Holy crap, just reread the PHB and it totally says choose 2 personality traits! How have I missed this??? I will update shortly

15 minutes ago, CraterShip said:

@Shocker got it! Thanks for pointing it out. I've updated with a secondary trait, though I don't think it'll tweak the background overly much

No real reason to do so, but as I said it might help you having a bit more fun with the character

Edit: read your added personality thread, and that already is perfectly in sync with what you had built.

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/e6/9d/22e69da9d9b6723a1bab25ac3f300a4f.jpgVadania Holimion

Wood Elf | Monk

AC: 15  | HP: 10/10 | Speed: 35 ft | Features and TraitsDark vision 60ft
Keen senses
Fey ancestry
Trance
Fleet of foot
Mask of the wild
Unarmored defense
Military rank

Martial ArtsYou gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield:
> You can use dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons
> You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table
> When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.
 | Ki PointsKi Save DC = 8 + PB + WIS Modifier
0 / 0