Character Creation OOC and Questions

Morkskittar

*First look at the game advertisement* Chainsaw powered ships?! Pffft, pass!

*Second look* Nothing else of interest, might as well have a gander.

*three hours later* This is a really cool and different setting! And it scratches my PbtA itch. And you get to play as a cactus?!

I'll have an app up in a mo 👍

4 hours ago, XQbitor said:

*First look at the game advertisement* Chainsaw powered ships?! Pffft, pass!

*Second look* Nothing else of interest, might as well have a gander.

*three hours later* This is a really cool and different setting! And it scratches my PbtA itch. And you get to play as a cactus?!

My own path to this game was: "Chainsaw powered ships? Awesome!" I am easily pleased. :) There was then never any going back when I saw how many similarities it has with Fallen London, which I adore (and highly recommendIf you play, feel free to befriend me (https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Seraphi%20Khoshvar), though my character is currently out zailing and won't be able to respond for a bit., despite its grindier aspects mid- and late-game). Glad to see you here!

@CraterShip (and anyone else): If you want to start with the pre-game IC thread, I plan to segue that into giving you some insight into ship-building. It may be possible that the ship you are taking shelter in may become yours.

I'm still mulling over how best to approach collaborative ship-building over a forum. The free rules describe the basic mechanics, but is missing between a third and a half of the options of the full rules (I'll let you pick from the full set, don't worry!), if you want to get a head start on thinking about it. The basic gist is you get six "stakes" to spend collaboratively and then every player gets three stakes to add their own touches to the ship. The hard part is how to effectively collaborate on the six shared stakes, which tend to do toward the core components of the ship (like the hull). I will supply you all with a full list once I've gone through and thought about a few of the options.

My instinct is that it would be easiest to make several possible six-stake core ship combinations and simply have a poll to see what we go with, but I am open to any and all ideas.

While my own art skills are not the greatest, it was always on my agenda to use Roll20 to build a floorplan of the ship you come up with at the very least. :)

Edited by Morkskittar (see edit history)

@Morkskittar  I'm very interested in applying, but worried that between RL and the game I GM the amount of time I have to spend on this will be limited. I have a few very busy months ahead of me, and then things should ease up, so I'd hate to miss out and you did say you'd accept up to twelve players. So, I have a couple of questions.

1) What minimum posting rate are you looking for?

2) I'm thinking of a character whose interaction with the other players can be limited and any absences can be easily explained (at least at the beginning of the game)... So... how do you feel about an Ironbound, Anchored, Tempest with Volotomotive Interfacing who can double as the ship's secondary engine? That way when he's not around, he's off powering the ship.

9 hours ago, Moveslikejagger said:

1) What minimum posting rate are you looking for?

2) I'm thinking of a character whose interaction with the other players can be limited and any absences can be easily explained (at least at the beginning of the game)... So... how do you feel about an Ironbound, Anchored, Tempest with Volotomotive Interfacing who can double as the ship's secondary engine? That way when he's not around, he's off powering the ship.

1). Ideally, 2 posts per week; my update schedule will be one update on the weekend and one in the middle of the week. While there may be more and I will update more often if needed, I think any more than that as a minimum expectation tends to result in either massive player attrition or in players writing empty posts to meet the requirement. I assume that most players have RL commitments that should always take precedence (I do too). My expectation is 1-2 posts, but I understand that sometimes you just can't get that second post in. That being said...

2). I am absolutely open to that idea. :) The nature of the Wildsea mechanics can lend itself very well to popping on and off, and while not ideal if most of the cast is doing it, for a character or two it should be fine.

11 minutes ago, Passione said:

Quick questions. Are Tzelicrae omitted or banned? If not, can I go as some kind of rat king?

As noted in the character creation thread, tzelicrae are certainly not banned; however, I would prefer to avoid reskinning bloodlines for this game (except where noted), so if you would like to play as tzelicrae I ask that you please stick to the standard interpretation.

I am VERY interested. This has amazing potential. I do have an idea of a character...though it is of the playtest. Itzenko, Submerged, Raveller. I know you suggest that we be familiar with the game, and I will admit I am not, I do see how those three aspects would allow for a ship's Mystic. I will work up his build and present it.