Volume 1, Chapter 2: Uncertainty

Toraka_Stormheart

Ravengro

4 Rova 4710

The night passed, and a new day dawned, the morning easterly light filtering in through the windows of the manor and stirring those sleeping in to wakefulness. To those who like to wake early for morning rituals or such, a small hillside just outside of the manor provides an excellent view of the sunrise.

spacer.pngHeading downstairs, those who awoke would smell cooking meats and such, and a spread of bread, sausages, bacon, and cheese were available for consumption, the dark-haired Adevois wearing a small apron and putting the finishing touches, humming a small tune as she did so.

spacer.pngIn the study, Kendra was reading a book, flipping through the pages with delicate hands.  Standing up and pacing to look out the window, she looked back at the others as they filtered in, taking a deep breath. "Good morning to you all.  I've been wracking my head on how to best approach this investigation that Father was getting into.  I feel like there is information that is being overlooked. That being said, I would recommend caution before you go digging. Ravengro is a small town. Anything that goes on in the town is likely to spread around by word of mouth...they do like their gossip." Stifling a small chuckle, she shook her head, refocusing herself.

"As for finding information on Harrowstone records, either the temple or town hall might have a more complete collection of those, but convincing those who control those records to allow access may be a challenge. As for the rest of the town, I do know that there are posting boards set up throughout the town proper, and those usually post notices or help wanted advertisements...maybe something to consider to get in their good graces? As for me, I'm going to spend today studying my father's notes...see if I can learn more of the Way..."

Returning to the object of her focus, Kendra let the travelers resume their daily preparations.

The day is theirs. What will they do first?

Notice Board

When and if the characters find these boards, this is what is currently found on them:

-Ravengro Notices-

All Notices are copied, maintained, and distributed by Pevrin Elkarid. If you would like something posted, please inquire at the Laughing Demon tavern. The rate for copy and 1 week of posting is 1 copper baldric.

NOTICE

Seeking able-bodied help with physical labor and maintenance, with more than adequate compensation. If interested, inquire at the Outward Inn. Prompt responses are desired!
-Sarianna Vai

NOTICE

Looking for assistance with acquiring local flora for a special order. Seek the Apothecary for details.
-Jominda Fallenbridge

NOTICE
The constabulary of Ravengro is aware of the vandalism that occurred at the Harrowstone Memorial the night prior to this posting. As a reminder, all persons with information regarding the macabre nature of the vandalism or any potential suspects should report their findings immediately to me at Ravengro Jail.
-Sheriff Caeller
NOTICE

Requesting able assistants in investigation of local farm incidences resulting in loss of livestock. Report to the Unfurling Scroll for more information.
-Alendru

[floatleft][img2=200]https://i.imgur.com/Q19FrjG.jpg[/img2][/floatleft][COLOR="LightSeaGreen"][B][SIZE="5"]Frauke Kaäva[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [I]N Sorcerer 1[/I] -[URL="https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=387471"]Sheet[/URL] [b]HP:[/b] 16/16 [b]Fort:[/b]+5 [b]Ref:[/b]+5 [b]Will:[/b]+6 [b]AC:[/b]15 [b]Speed:[/b] 25ft[hr][/hr][b]Per:[/b]+4 [b]Trained:[/b]Arcana +3, Diplomacy +7, Intimidation +7, Nature +4, Occultism +3 [b]Lores:[/b] Underworld +3 [hr][/hr][b]Languages:[/b] Common, Undercommon[hr][/hr][b]Conditions:[/b]None [b]Hero Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Focus Points:[/b]1/1[B][hr][/hr] [B]Spells:[/B] [OOC="Cantrips"]Disrupt Undead, Light, Produce Flame, Shield, Spout[/OOC][/B] [B][OOC="1st Level Spells 3/3"]Buffeting Winds, Burning Hands, Grease[/OOC][/B] [b]Spell DC:[/b]17
Q19FrjG.jpg
Frauke Kaäva N Sorcerer 1 -Sheet
HP: 16/16 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +6 AC: 15 Speed: 25ft
Per: +4
Trained: Arcana +3, Diplomacy +7, Intimidation +7, Nature +4, Occultism +3 Lores: Underworld +3
Languages: Common, Undercommon
Conditions: None Hero Points: 1/1 Focus Points: 1/1
Spells: CantripsDisrupt Undead, Light, Produce Flame, Shield, Spout 1st Level Spells 3/3Buffeting Winds, Burning Hands, Grease Spell DC: 17

Frauke was glad that there was enough rooms for most of them to have their own. She didn't want anyone to get a look at her burns while she was changing or in her nightwear. It was awkward enough for her that Zaf knew Prime well enough to notice her burned eye. During the next morning, she enjoys the food that Adevois prepared, but the atmosphere is what stands out to her. Prime certainly ate well and fed Frauke well, but like with socialization, cooking was a task she delegated to others, and sitting at a table to eat was something she didn't make time for. She didn't frequently sit at tables set with the intent that people would take the time to be around each other while they ate.

[B][Color="LightSeaGreen"]"Thank you for the meal, Miss Adrissi. It was good."[/Color][/B] She said, before turning to more business-oriented matters. [B][Color="LightSeaGreen"]"I will visit the temple and attempt to gather more information. Whoever wishes to accompany me and help may do so."[/Color][/B]
"Thank you for the meal, Miss Adrissi. It was good." She said, before turning to more business-oriented matters. "I will visit the temple and attempt to gather more information. Whoever wishes to accompany me and help may do so."

CpJYXlr.png

Zafira Bagheri

Zafira's morning was spent in silent contemplation of the rising sun. She had been concerned about her father visiting her room, and as such had forced herself to keep out of her patron's realm for now—except Malik never actually showed up.

And so, after witnessing the dawn in full, she left her bedroom, dressed in a simple, somewhat frumpled white button-up shirt and black trousers, going straight for one of the other guest rooms. She knocked on the door, "Dad?"

In Character

SilasAshcroft.png.4f11ec560e82a186797ec405e9c60b9e.pngSilas Ashcroft, Guardian of Lorrimor's Estate

Swashbuckler 1

AC: 18 |MAX HP: 18 CURRENT: 18

FORTITUDE: +3 | REFLEX: +9 | WILL: +6 PERCEPTION: +6

PANACHE: 0  | HERO POINTS: 1 | CURRENT: 1

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None

CONDITIONS: None.

Silas slept, fitfully in the armchair, as comfortable as it was, he had unpleasant dreams, the procession to Lorrimor's grave, in his dreams Gibs bulbous nose and crooked, yellowed teeth transformed into some troll, with putrid, yellowing teeth, leering at the pallbearers as they struggled under the weight of their burden. Grimbarrow's sermon, delivered from a dry, raspy voice, all the while, some unknown structure loomed, this Harrowstone, like some ominous, unknowable threat, and with it chants from his father's hidden chambers beneath the family crypts. It all blended into a harrowing night, so when Adevois stole down to the kitchen and began to prepare the morning's fast, Silas stirred, walking in to the kitchen on stiff legs, "Mornin' Adevois," he looked at the breads and cheeses she had yet to slice for the morning platter, "You'll forgive me if I steal the crust and a rind of cheese. Need to stretch my legs." He chuckled to himself, he had hoped this mysterious Cult the Professor had been investigating had attacked during the night. It would have given the swordsman an excuse to stretch his legs, then, perhaps, they would be less cramped than they were.

Taking the crust and rind, he began to stuff his mouth with nourishment, chased down with a glass of wine from last night's stock, he then exited the small house and walked a spiral through the town, circling towards it's center. He wasn't sure what he would find, and, while early, he attracted a fair amount of stares, to which he tipped his head, and gave an informal wave. Small towns were, typically, the most secular, and there were already rumors of necromancy among the locals, plus, if this Gibs was well respected, more trouble would likely brew. He stopped at the Notice Board, his finger tracing the postings, his lips moving slightly as he read each, thoroughly. Live stock disappearances concerned him, that was one thing Lorrimor had told him was often the indication of some larger prey, however, there were just as many mundane answers for such occurrences. However, it was the Lawman's posting that drew his attention, vandalism at a monument dedicated to the very place Petros was investigating, and of a macabre nature? He tore the posting from the board, no sense in letting others respond to the Sheriff's call, that was something he would rather attend to, personally.

Folding the posting into quarters, he tucked it under his doublet, and as he made his way back to the Lorrimor estate the smell of breakfast meats assailed his nostrils, his stomach grumbled and he walked into the kitchen. The Lepidstadt professor was already up, partaking of breakfast, he nodded. "Mistress Kaäva? Well rested this morning? If you mean to attend the temple I would like to accompany you, get the lay of the town and all. Starting with it's spiritual center." He paused, producing the posting, showing it to those who had gathered for breakfast. "However, if we could stop by the Sheriff's on our way there, discovering the culprits, and, indeed, the nature of this vandalism, would as like provide us with some information." He thrust a finger at the mention of the Harrowstone Monument, "After all this can't be coincidence."

Out of Character

SUMMARY:

REACTION:

ACTION 1:

ACTION 2:

ACTION 3:

[IMG2=170]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c4/be/b9/c4beb9eb38994fd82a5d2fa3260f046c.jpg[/IMG2][/FLOATLEFT][U][B][COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="3"][B]Tetrika - Arcane Inventor[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/U] [SIZE="1"][B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]| HP:[/B] 18/18 [B]|Class DC:[/B] 16 [B]Fortitude:[/B] +7 [B]| Reflex:[/B] +4 [B]| Will:[/B] +5 [B]| Perception:[/B] +3 [B]Active Effects:[/B] [B]Conditions:[/B] [/SIZE]

[floatleft][IMG2=170]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c4/be/b9/c4beb9eb38994fd82a5d2fa3260f046c.jpg[/IMG2][/FLOATLEFT][U][B][COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="3"][B]Tetrika - Arcane Inventor[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/U] [SIZE="1"][B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]| HP:[/B] 18/18 [B]|Class DC:[/B] 16 [B]Fortitude:[/B] +7 [B]| Reflex:[/B] +4 [B]| Will:[/B] +5 [B]| Perception:[/B] +3 [B]Active Effects:[/B] [B]Conditions:[/B] [/SIZE]
c4beb9eb38994fd82a5d2fa3260f046c.jpg
Tetrika - Arcane Inventor
AC: 18 | HP: 18/18 |Class DC: 16
Fortitude: +7 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +5 | Perception: +3
Active Effects:
Conditions:

"The temple is indeed a good place to start." Tetrika held a still steaming tea in her hand as she accompanied her erstwhile compatriots. Her fellows in grief, as it were. She hadn't entirely woken up yet, still partially at the beck and call of sleep. Last night had been a wearisome day, and this morning had not enthused her with the droll morning. Still the food provided had been a pleasant surprise, and the woman had outfitted herself confidently with her armour.

She smiled quietly around the edge of the cup, flickering her eyes up to the other two that had spoken. "Though, if gossip is to be an issue, and the awareness of our possible guilty parties is likely to be a concern, then perhaps the 'getting into their good graces' should be a priority, rather than such things? Whether or not you agree, I think attending the board will be my directive."

spacer.pngMalik

Awake and at the small desk, found in his guest room, the old warrior was scratching a letter onto parchment, detailing the funeral and the events around it to his wife, back home in Lastwall. So far, he had left out information about Zafira, as although he was shocked by the transformation, he hadn't yet fully processed it, or what it meant. And you didn't get to be old without learning not to jump to conclusions.

The knock on his door wasn't unexpected, but deep in his thoughts, it still gave him a start, and he composed himself before he answered. "Come in, Zafira." He answered the knock warmly. He put down the quill and turned to face the door, one hand reaching up to push the grey-streaked hair back from his face. Ready to hear whatever his daughter had come to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving the others to finish getting ready, Frauke and Silas both depart from the manor into the chilly morning air. The early mists are just starting to dissipate as they head north along the main road into town. It was a short jaunt from the town square to the seat of the small town's constabulary and jail, the stone building looking rather small...more of a symbol of law enforcement than a fully utilized facility. Looking inside, the main lobby led back to a quintet of simple iron cells, barred windows, and wooden furniture, bits of straw loosed from the bedding scattered about the otherwise clean and simple interior.

spacer.pngBehind a heavy wooden desk, the lone occupant of the building, a relatively young (late twenties) man sat, leaned forward, a mug of some hot beverage in one hand whilst the other held a parchment up, his eyes blearily peering over the contents. As the travelers filtered in, the man barely moved, his eyes flicking upward as he took in the visitors, his voice dry as if futilely attempting at humorous small talk.

"Suppose you aren't here to turn yourselves in, are you? Thought as much...still, people are talking, so I have to ask, and the timing is about right. Did you have anything to do with what was painted on the memorial? No locals are coming forward, and y'all are technically not from around here, so...help me out here" His expression changed little throughout the sentences, the look of a man both tired and serious.

The business with the Sheriff concluded, the walk west across the river eventually takes the pair to the Temple of Pharasma.

spacer.pngTo say that the Temple to Pharasma looked antiquated put things mildly, the overtly gothic architecture and ravenlike gargoyles and motifs dotting the exterior casting a dark pallor over the already dim landscape in the town. Entering in, the sunlight filtered in through windows, providing illumination in the otherwise dim corridors. An acolyte attending the main hall noticed the pair and, recognizing them from the funeral, immediately bid them wait while he fetched Father Grimburrow.

Stepping out slowly, his everpresent exaggerated frown on display, the old priest regarded the duo, eyes settling between Frauke and Silas before speaking. "And good morn to you. No more trouble from those rabble, I hope?
What brings you to my humble sanctuary for the Lady of Fates, hm?"

Skill CheckGranting access to the Temple's infromation Archives will require a successful Diplomacy Check, DC 22

Edited by Toraka_Stormheart (see edit history)

In Character

SilasAshcroft.png.4f11ec560e82a186797ec405e9c60b9e.pngSilas Ashcroft, Guardian of Lorrimor's Estate

Swashbuckler 1

Benjan Caeller's Office

Silas looked around the small jail house office, before turning towards the haggard looking Sheriff, a smirk on his face. "'spose you wish we were? Least some of the townfolk do? But the help we're here to offer, is in finding out who has been putting up this, what?" He pulled out the posting, "blasphemous vandalism on the Memorial. Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on it, see if it matches up with our own line of reasoning."

Out of Character

SUMMARY:

REACTION:

ACTION 1:

ACTION 2:

ACTION 3:

[floatleft][img2=200]https://i.imgur.com/Q19FrjG.jpg[/img2][/floatleft][COLOR="LightSeaGreen"][B][SIZE="5"]Frauke Kaäva[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [I]N Sorcerer 1[/I] -[URL="https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=387471"]Sheet[/URL] [b]HP:[/b] 16/16 [b]Fort:[/b]+5 [b]Ref:[/b]+5 [b]Will:[/b]+6 [b]AC:[/b]15 [b]Speed:[/b] 25ft[hr][/hr][b]Per:[/b]+4 [b]Trained:[/b]Arcana +3, Diplomacy +7, Intimidation +7, Nature +4, Occultism +3 [b]Lores:[/b] Underworld +3 [hr][/hr][b]Languages:[/b] Common, Undercommon[hr][/hr][b]Conditions:[/b]None [b]Hero Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Focus Points:[/b]1/1[B][hr][/hr] [B]Spells:[/B] [OOC="Cantrips"]Disrupt Undead, Light, Produce Flame, Shield, Spout[/OOC][/B] [B][OOC="1st Level Spells 3/3"]Buffeting Winds, Burning Hands, Grease[/OOC][/B] [b]Spell DC:[/b]17
Q19FrjG.jpg
Frauke Kaäva N Sorcerer 1 -Sheet HP: 16/16 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +6 AC: 15 Speed: 25ft
Per: +4 Trained: Arcana +3, Diplomacy +7, Intimidation +7, Nature +4, Occultism +3 Lores: Underworld +3
Languages: Common, Undercommon
Conditions: None Hero Points: 1/1 Focus Points: 1/1
Spells: CantripsDisrupt Undead, Light, Produce Flame, Shield, Spout 1st Level Spells 3/3Buffeting Winds, Burning Hands, Grease Spell DC: 17

With the Sherriff: "I am afraid not, sir. We have committed no crime, so we have no intentions of turning ourselves in. But perhaps you could tell us what you know about this desecration of your monument."

Father Grimburrow: "My comrade and I are researching a matter of high importance to the man you buried yesterday and were hoping that you might allow us access to the records of Harrowstone Prison. I assure you, it is not something we are here for as what some refer to as a lark, but serious business."

Name
Persuasion
1d20+7 9

spacer.pngThe sheriff sighs, taking a sip of his beverage before putting the papers down.

"Figured as much. You don't take me for the type, but you can't blame some for the timin'. Happened last night, the memorial statue south of town got somethin' painted on it. A capital V. No idea what it means or why, but it was discovered by my morning patrol, and it's in blood." He paused, sighing and pinching his brow.

"Hen's blood by my guess, but it's unlike anything I'm used to seeing here. If you want to take a look, be my guest."

spacer.pngThe Father listened, his movements slow and supposedly deliberate as he heard the words that Frauke had to say. Somehow, his face creased into a bigger frown as he lowered his gaze, the chains of his robes clinking as he moved.  "I see. I am aware that Petros was looking into the prison, against my wishes. Sites of death such as that...dire consequences if the balance is disturbed."

The man turned around, folding his hands into his sleeves as he let out a sigh. "You are new to these places, and seeing such records would only ask questions. That I cannot risk. If you have any other business, one of my acolytes may be able to attend, but otherwise, I bid you a good morning..."

In Character

Swashbuckler 1

Benjan Caeller's Office

Silas sighed as he listened to the Sheriff, though he didn't want to become entangled with the local law, but it would be better to be in it's good graces, rather than the reverse. "Could be Chelaxian numerals, any specific meaning to the number five as it relates to Harrowstone? Maybe if you had a list of former inmates, one of them starts with a V, some cousin or relative wants to go messing with you?" He thought on the problem, the 'V' was little to go on, though perhaps the vandal was interrupted and would return to finish their work? Could be ... "When was the vandalism first noticed, and by who?"

Small towns were notably secular, the fact that the vandalism could be blamed on them, as newcomers, was not lost to Silas. Apparently the Professor had been the cause of gossip within town, given his usual lack of discretion and nature of work, it would be easy for the uneducated to assume the worst of the man. "Perhaps someone wants to warn others not to associate with Kendra's guardians and would rather us gone, so slap some blood on a monument and blame the new folks in town? A cunning plot, and like, one devised by a certain retired farm owner, Gibs, I believe?"

The Grey Temple, Main Hall

Silas shrugged, expecting the guarded reaction from Father Grimburrow, he was, after all, the leader of this community's faith and they were, for all intents and purposes, outsiders. "Just came from Benjan's office, he asked us to check in on the vandalism that occurred overnight. Timing seemed suspicious to him, considering our arrival in town for yesterday's service. Now, we wouldn't want to disturb yourself, nor your acolytes in their devotions, but the Lady of Graves does keep record of the deaths and births in the communities they service, yea? Wouldn't mind taking a peak at those, specifically those killed at Harrowstone. Probably take my companions a while to do right, proper, research. So if you or your acolytes need anything done during that time, I'd be glad to help." As he spoke, he gave a bow of his head, sweeping his cloak open, a perceptive observer would note the silver cap at the butt of the coiled whip on his left hip, and engraved upon it the Pharasman spiral of life, death and rebirth.

Out of Character

SUMMARY: At Benjan's office, I am going to shoot the shit over the investigation, throwing out a few theories here and there, but nothing too shocking or accusatory. Just trying to ingratiate myself with the man by way of Make an Impression.

I'll do the same with Grimburrow, I am unlikely to make the DC 25 diplomacy, but he should be open to showing us the register of births and deaths because that, should, be publicly available considering it is one of Pharasma's devotions. I will try to Make an Impression on the Father by offering help with anything around the Temple while my companions review the death registry.

REACTION:

ACTION 1:

ACTION 2:

ACTION 3:

Name
Make an Impression (Diplomacy +5 vs Benjan's Will DC)
1d20+5 15
Make an Impression (Diplomacy +5 vs Grimburrow's Will DC)
1d20+5 20

spacer.pngAt the questions and theories that Silas offered, Benjan raised a brow. Slowly, his smirk started to appear, crossing his arms and looking mildly impressed. .

"My deputy Riff caught it in on her morning circuit of the town, so it must have happened during the middle of the night. As for who perished, cannot say for certain. Happened before my time, the Temple or Town Hall might have those records. I just know the one big name: Warden Hawkran, whom the statue is of. So your guess is as good as mine as to why."

The suggestion of Gibs gave the Sheriff pause, cocking an eyebrow. "Word's already gone out about what Gibs tried to pull. Causing trouble he has done, thinks he has the pull to. But vandalizing? This would be new, even for him."

spacer.pngFather Grimburrow paused as Silas spoke up, slowly turning back around to face the two, his expression momentarily one of serious and intent to reprimand. However, as he opened his mouth to speak, he stopped at seeing the emblem on the whip, giving him pause.  "...if you are offering earnest help, then I think we can come to agreement on the use of the Archives in that regard. My acolytes will be able to show you the Archives and delegate from their duties list as required."

Unlocked:

The successful Diplomacy check has (conditionally) unlocked the Temple of Pharasma as a research location.

Rules on research can be found here