OOC: The Smiling Cat

Brian Skies

• 2 weeks later...

Re the hydra, I'm willing to wait a round or so to see if the ghost sound lures it away from the causeway so we can all make a run for it. How about you, @Wiz ?

At any rate, I'd rather fight it while remaining on the causeway, rather than riding out into the swamp.

If we dash on by, all we're skipping is whatever loot it might have, right? I'll leave it to those at most bodily risk how much they want that. I'd say get it on the way back if it's important, I'd rather not show up at the keep down a bunch of spell slots.

If the hydra hasn't noticed us while we're moving at a regular pace, then I think we should continue to ride at a walk until the hydra notices us, then dash.

As for missing loot, I sincerely hope the module isn't so poorly written that the only way to pick up loot and xp is to engage every potential encounter in combat. I may be old fashioned, but using clever tactics like distracting a monster to sneak past it should count for something in my book.

Is that how you wish to proceed?

The book is fairly aggressive when it comes to the distribution of treasure, but there are reasons for it. It is up to you whether you think loot is worth the effort. Loot is inert. If you don't make the effort to take it for yourself, then you don't get it.

As for experience, it depends on the situation. Experience isn't only awarded for defeating creatures in combat.