Part One: The Witchwood

Brian Skies

Most Previous Post: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=16341537#post16341537

As the group approaches the causeway, Sithi conjures a distraction. The head lying on the rock slowly rises up, and within moments, a huge multi-headed beast emerges from the water. "One, two...Six heads! Careful! That must be a hydra!" says Drusinna as one of the creature's many heads quickly strikes toward the disturbance in the water.

10 hours ago, raxivort said:
Ferron the White

spacer.png

"I've heard those things are hard to kill. Should we wait to see if it moves after Sithi's distratction or make a run for it?" Ferron asks the others.

Show this

Ferron the White
Male LN Frostblood half-orc (Vaasan) HOP3/F2, Level 5, Init 3, HP 40/40, Speed 20 ft. /x3
AC 20, Touch 11, Flat-footed 19, Fort 9, Ref 3, Will 4, Base Attack Bonus 5
+1 dwarvencraft lucerne hammer +10 (2d4+7, x4), Reach
Mwk cold iron battleaxe (2H) +10 (1d8+6, x3)
Spiked gauntlet +9 (1d4+4, x2)
+1 dwarvencraft full plate (+9 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 19, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13
Condition None

• 3 weeks later...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8a/2e/88/8a2e88e73ea85a4ffcb48f90acfecaa3--fantasy-rpg-warhammer-fantasy.jpg

Sithi Silvercloak | checked-shield.svgAC: 17 | health-normal.svg HP: 28/28 | awareness.svg Spot/Listen: +12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +6 | Effects & Conditions: None

Sithi's ghost sound keeps moving across the water.

"I'll defer to those at most risk of being bitten. It might feed on some of the incoming horde--or get pushed out towards the roads to feast on fleeing travelers. Give the word and I'll try to blind it before you charge in."

O

OC/Mechanics

Name
Know: Arcana
1d20+9 9

• 3 weeks later...

The adventurers wait for Sithi to lure the hydra away from the causeway. When they feel the hydra has reached a sufficient distance, Ferron commands the others to make a break for it, causing his horse to sprint at a full gallop with the others following close behind. The hydra immediately notices the adventurers and turns toward the causeway. It manages to climb onto the bridge, but it is too late. The hydra is last seen slinking back into the river as the adventurers disappear back into the forest.

Each character receives 375 XP.

In the late afternoon, looming out of the shadowy woods ahead is a haunting sight - a ruined keep. The old castle sits on a small rocky hillock, and you can catch glimpses of a broken tower between the trees. A moss-covered stone at the side of the road you're following marks a footpath that looks like it leads up to the keep.

Drusinna and Jorr examine the overgrown track. According to them, numerous medium-sized humanoids and several large wolves - likely worgs - have been using this track recently. The keep is a 5-minute hike up this path, or a 20-minute scramble up the forested hillside if the adventurers choose to avoid it.

On 8/3/2023 at 1:40 PM, raxivort said:
Ferron the White

spacer.png

"What do you think? The trail or the woods? If I were the commander here, I'd definitely have guards watching the trail," Ferron says to the others.

Show this

Ferron the White
Male LN Frostblood half-orc (Vaasan) HOP3/F2, Level 5, Init 3, HP 40/40, Speed 20 ft. /x3
Condition None

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8a/2e/88/8a2e88e73ea85a4ffcb48f90acfecaa3--fantasy-rpg-warhammer-fantasy.jpg

Sithi Silvercloak | checked-shield.svgAC: 17 | health-normal.svg HP: 28/28 | awareness.svg Spot/Listen: +12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +6 | Effects & Conditions: Mage Armor

Sithi nods.

"So long as the horses can manage it, let's stay out of the open. We should wait for dark, or at least for nightfall. Maybe find a good hiding spot with a good view of the trail, to keep track of those coming and going. --How many soldiers, would you guess?" She asks the trackers, hoping to get a sense of just how suicidal this mission might be.

O

OC/Mechanics

spacer.png

"I'm not sure waiting for dark will give us any advantage. Hobgoblins see as well in the dark as I do and better than a some of you. We're likely to be stumbling around in the dark unless we light a lantern, and that will make us easy to see. We should definitely use the daylight to scout about the keep and look for a clandestine way to enter, but I'd say we should make use of it no later than sunset," Ferron argues.

Show this

Ferron the White
Condition None

Edited by raxivort (see edit history)

Drusinna and Jorr examine the tracks some more, but frown to each other before Drusinna addresses Sithi. "It's hard to say. Most of the tracks are older than a week. The fresher ones...probably a pair of worgs, and at least two or more goblins or hobgoblins. But these tracks could just belong to a patrol. It's hard to say what numbers they could have in the fort, and if these belong to the same patrol or a few."

"I have to agree with the orc as well," Jorr interjects. "Goblins have the advantage in the dark, and bright light will only give away our position."

spacer.png"Half orc," Ferron reminds Jorr with a toothy grin.

Show this

Ferron the White
Condition None

Sithi Silvercloak | checked-shield.svgAC: 17 | health-normal.svg HP: 28/28 | awareness.svg Spot/Listen: +12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +6 | Effects & Conditions: Mage Armor

"Yes--of course," Sithi says, absently. She's looking at the keep with eyes that aren't seeing it as it currently is. "I can cloak myself in an invisibility spell, see how many of them there are and where they are. The hill it is."

O

OC/Mechanics

spacer.png"A capital idea!" Ferron answers enthusiastically. "Will you be wanting to bring Jorr or Drusinna along as backup?"

Show this

Ferron the White
Condition None

• 3 weeks later...

"I don't think they signed up for that, and I doubt they can move quietly enough," Sithi demurs. "Let's get a peek at how they're set up in there first. Then we can make concrete plans."

O

OC/Mechanics

spacer.pngFerron gives Sythi a shrug in response. "If they can't move quietly enough you can be sure I can't either," he says. "But I guess we're just wasting time debating. Worst case we find out their strength by running into them!"

Show this

Ferron the White
Condition None