Tavern (OOC)

Shocker

AFAIK Gilavar was at the front, provided he called into the room, doing move and talk:

image.png.c93736075761c6718f354ee1f596c93e.pngBut even if he retreated, his turns comes after the Gnome in the initiative bracket.
Vala even let him move and talk, and she took her defensive stance before combat started:

image.png.704a289994e69822a0052bedc0dd5e4c.png

16 minutes ago, Siryuu said:

AFAIK Gilavar was at the front, provided he called into the room, doing move and talk:

image.png.c93736075761c6718f354ee1f596c93e.pngBut even if he retreated, his turns comes after the Gnome in the initiative bracket.
Vala even let him move and talk, and she took her defensive stance before combat started:

image.png.704a289994e69822a0052bedc0dd5e4c.png

Hold your horses @Siryuu, @JubalBreakbottlemoved his character on his turn which occurred right after the gnome fired his first salvo into the opposite direction. I had taken that into consideration when I targeted your character on the gnomes next turn.

Unfortunately, everyone else has only the map to go by and it indicated that Gilavar was in front initially. Then, would be the first to respond to the crossbow bolts; which were aimed at him directly in front followed by Vala which was behind him.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:23 PM, Shocker said:
I admit to having overlooked the posted dodge action, in that post. But I will not accept defensive stance as an automatic declaration of a dodge action. So I’m not entirely sure what that second post is about.
if you feel I do not get your intended actions, state them clearly. You wrote you move backwards, where do yo move to and how far? If you don’t provide that information I will rule your position based on MY understanding where you are. In this case still in the line if sight of the crossbow. I’ll take back the ruling about your character being hit, but I must insist on clarity of action declaration for the future.

Thanks,

Vala has maintained a vigilant stance throughout our journey through the caves, keeping her guard up and adopting a defensive posture whenever potential threats arose. If you believe we should provide more technical descriptions, I'm completely open to adjusting our approach.

Regarding the recent encounter, we were forewarned about the possibility of traps and informed about the gnomes' security measures against intruders. Thus, when you emphasized that "actions have consequences," apart from approaching a gnome stationed on a turret as a complete stranger, I would have suggested a more cautious approach, gathering the group to assess the situation carefully.

However, Gilavar initiated contact with Faktore, the gnome. At this point, Vala made way for Gilavar and inspected the turret before assuming a defensive stance, which I explicitly mentioned before combat ensued.

The gnome's reaction to Gilavar, pointing his turret at the party, initiated combat. And according to the initiative order, here's a breakdown of events:

Pre-Combat:

- Gilavar approached the gnome and engaged in conversation (Vala allowed Gilavar to approach).

- Vala inspected the turret from afar, and prepared defensively.

- The gnome reacted to Gilavar, initiating combat.

Combat Round 1:

- Makaria attempted to persuade the gnome to redirect his aim.

- Faktore attacked.

- Gilavar attempted to retreat.

- Katya transformed into a spider.

- Vala utilized the dodge action and moved away (following the girls).

To clarify, I'm not suggesting that Faktore should or shouldn't have attacked Gilavar. Rather, if Vala was the intended target, she should benefit from both her dodge advantage and partial cover, given Gilavar's initial positioning at the front.

Regarding the direction Vala proposed during our retreat, I indicated it in our Out of Character communication. I suggested navigating towards the right corridor, and marked it with a line, whilst leaving a note with Vala's name in OBR (it shows in your screenshots). I was waiting for Makaria and Katya to confirm the direction they chose after the retreat order, prioritizing their safety without neglecting the group's cohesion. Since my actions are aimed at safeguarding the entire party, I would move following the group.

17 hours ago, Siryuu said:

Thanks,

Vala has maintained a vigilant stance throughout our journey through the caves, keeping her guard up and adopting a defensive posture whenever potential threats arose. If you believe we should provide more technical descriptions, I'm completely open to adjusting our approach.

Regarding the recent encounter, we were forewarned about the possibility of traps and informed about the gnomes' security measures against intruders. Thus, when you emphasized that "actions have consequences," apart from approaching a gnome stationed on a turret as a complete stranger, I would have suggested a more cautious approach, gathering the group to assess the situation carefully.

However, Gilavar initiated contact with Faktore, the gnome. At this point, Vala made way for Gilavar and inspected the turret before assuming a defensive stance, which I explicitly mentioned before combat ensued.

The gnome's reaction to Gilavar, pointing his turret at the party, initiated combat. And according to the initiative order, here's a breakdown of events:

Pre-Combat:

- Gilavar approached the gnome and engaged in conversation (Vala allowed Gilavar to approach).

- Vala inspected the turret from afar, and prepared defensively.

- The gnome reacted to Gilavar, initiating combat.

Combat Round 1:

- Makaria attempted to persuade the gnome to redirect his aim.

- Faktore attacked.

- Gilavar attempted to retreat.

- Katya transformed into a spider.

- Vala utilized the dodge action and moved away (following the girls).

To clarify, I'm not suggesting that Faktore should or shouldn't have attacked Gilavar. Rather, if Vala was the intended target, she should benefit from both her dodge advantage and partial cover, given Gilavar's initial positioning at the front.

Regarding the direction Vala proposed during our retreat, I indicated it in our Out of Character communication. I suggested navigating towards the right corridor, and marked it with a line, whilst leaving a note with Vala's name in OBR (it shows in your screenshots). I was waiting for Makaria and Katya to confirm the direction they chose after the retreat order, prioritizing their safety without neglecting the group's cohesion. Since my actions are aimed at safeguarding the entire party, I would move following the group.

This is how I would also summarise what has just happened in the scene too. Except, Makaria moved over towards her left where she thought Katya would be? however didn't realise that she had turned into a spider at some juncture?

However, now Katya has changed into a bear so its safe to say that the Gnome's subsequent actions/response will be significantly changed after this encounter. Makaria, may not see a small spider but would definitely see a large bear!

Edited by Dorik (see edit history)

3 hours ago, tyrtaeus said:

Katya just used up her second wildshape, so until we get somewhere safe, she's probably staying in bear form!

I am impressed by such a bold action, shapeshifters are quite imposing.

5 hours ago, Dorik said:

This is how I would also summarise what has just happened in the scene too. Except, Makaria moved over towards her left where she thought Katya would be?

Oh that is right.

It may not be so much as "leaving someone behind now" but pressing on together in an attempt to try and get past the Gnome without any casualties?

If we head back to the other Gnomes; the way we came they would definitely be pissed to hear that we messed with the Gnome that's based on the turret.

When its her turn going forward no matter the danger, and joining both Katya and Vala maybe the only viable option? Who, by now have definitely got on the "bad" side of the Gnome on the turret. The time for persuasion and chatting I think has ended.

Edited by Dorik (see edit history)

The total lack of any responses since Sunday makes me believe, that this campaign has lost it’s steam/appeal. Still would like to hear back from you, but I propose to abandon this. There is no point in torturing anybody by making them participate.

@Siryuu, @tyrtaeus @JubalBreakbottle @Dorik please let me know what you are thinking.

It's a shame, but I guess inevitable, I'm going to have to save Katya to use somewhere else cause she was a treat to play. Good luck in future game, maybe we'll play again together soon. Thanks very much for running the game as far as you did @Shocker, for what it's worth, I enjoyed it.

46 minutes ago, tyrtaeus said:

It's a shame, but I guess inevitable, I'm going to have to save Katya to use somewhere else cause she was a treat to play. Good luck in future game, maybe we'll play again together soon. Thanks very much for running the game as far as you did @Shocker, for what it's worth, I enjoyed it.

I think your Katya was a very interesting character with incredible potential. If you would be so kind to send me some feedback via pm about what you liked and where you think I could have done a better job. This was also my first campaign so I want to use this also as a learning experience.

I learned that I don’t particularly like premade modules.
also any future campaign will no longer have flanking involved.