Rurik Eversharp - Gold (Hill) Dwarf Sage Knowledge Cleric of Dugmaren Brightmantle

Doggie_arf

Rurik Eversharp - Gold (Hill) Dwarf Sage Knowledge Cleric of Dugmaren Brightmantle

spacer.png

Name: Rurik Eversharp

Character Concept: Fussy dwarven scholar seeking out his master, who disappeared in Waterdeep while searching for the legacy of Clan Melairkyn.

Race, Background, Subclass Class: Hill Dwarf, Sage, Knowledge Cleric

Description: Rurik looks pretty much as what you'd expect if you'd stuffed a scholar into armor - the thick reading glasses and finely combed (and faintly bluish) hair and beard cut a sharp contrast to the mail worn over his vestments. Thankfully, a combination of dwarven heartiness and careful grooming lets him (mostly) look refined rather than dorkish.

...which is a good thing, because those first impressions go right out the window the moment he opens his mouth. Anything beyond a basic conversation tends to dissolve into jargon or awkward stammering if Rurik isn't careful. It's been something he's been trying (and failing) to fix for years.

Origin: Eartheart, in the Deep Rift of Southern Faerun.

Your Character’s Plothook: Rurik has contacted Obaya Uday, Chultan priestess of Waukeen, regarding possible expeditions into Undermountain.

Past is Prologue

Rurik Eversharp was born in Eartheart, the city founded in the Deep Rift after the gold dwarves lost their original capital of Underhome to the Spellplague.

Having lost his parents at a young age to a mining accident, Rurik was taken in by Baeridd Goldfinder, a senior priest of Dugmaren Brightmantle. Being raised by a devotee of the Wandering Tinkerer encouraged Rurik's own inquisitive nature to shine - it was little surprise to anyone that he would follow in his mentor's footsteps and join the clergy.

Clerics of Dugmaren Brightmantle are both scholar and acolyte, with a mania for gathering various forms of knowledge for use in bettering the lives of the Stout Folk. Baeridd's own specialty was history (a field which Rurik also shared), and the elder priest would often spend weeks away on expeditions to old ruins and esoteric libraries like Candlekeep once Rurik was old enough to take care of himself.

Baeridd never returned from his last expedition, however. He'd sent his last letter from distant Waterdeep months ago, and had not been heard from since. Rurik had never been allowed to follow his mentor on his previous trips due to his age and ongoing studies, but now as a freshly ordained (if junior) member of the priesthood, he could depart on his own research trips (within reasonable means) if he so chose.

Having learnt of a new expedition to Undermountain being sponsored by one of the Merchant Princes of Chult, Rurik made plans to travel to Port Nyanzaru and then onwards to Waterdeep, in order to find Baeridd and learn what he'd discovered...

Truths, Rumors, and Lies:

1. Rurik once bored a colleague to death while presenting his latest research.

"T-that is complete slander. It's not my fault that he choked on his mead while I was defending my thesis on the fall of Underhome. What self-respecting dwarf can't handle their drink in the lecture room, anyway?

(when asked if said colleague did drown on his drink) "...we ended up paying for the Searching Sage to revivify him."

Verdict - Technically correct (the best kind of correct).

2. Rurik once single-handedly shored up a collapsing tunnel with nothing but a few pitons and rope.

"An exaggeration. I was merely explaining to the Lantanese delegation in detail on the upkeep of our tunnels. Not every mine has Gondsmiths on hand to build and maintain nimblewrights, and the miners will complain if we don't provide them with easily scaleable solutions. If Master Goldfinder hadn't pulled me away, I would have filled their ears for another hour..."

Verdict - False.

3. Rurik is rumored to have gnomish ancestry in his family tree.

"I believe that you are discriminating against me for my mode of speech, which is not uncommon amongst xothor - devotees of the Gleam in the Eye like myself. Or for my hair color, which can be a mark of magical energies from the Underchasm. I will not speak further on this."

Verdict - Uncertain.

Deity: Rurik is a Questing Wanderer, one of the junior priests of Dugmaren Brightmantle, the dwarven deity of learning, innovation, and discovery.
Factions: As a priest of a goodly deity of knowledge, Rurik may well catch the eye of the Harpers, depending on his actions.

Is Might Right? Might is but one means to an end, but wisdom is knowing when it is needed over a finer touch.

Starting Bonus Feat Skilled

Edited by Doggie_arf (see edit history)

spacer.png

Rurik Eversharp
Gold (Hill) Dwarf Sage Knowledge Cleric of Dugmaren Brightmantle

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, Shield) | HP: 19/19 (2d8+4+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., stonecunning, passive Perception 15, Insight 15, Investigation 13
Str:Athletics: +0

Str Save: +0
10 (+0) | Dex:Acrobatics: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
Stealth: +2 (disadv. from armor)

Dex Save: +2
14 (+2) | Con:Con Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Arcana: +3 (prf.)
History: +5 (exp.)
Investigation: +3 (prf.)
Nature: +3 (prf.)
Religion: +5 (exp.)

Int Save: +1
12 (+1) | Wis:Animal Handling: +3
Insight: +5 (prf.)
Medicine: +5 (prf.)
Perception: +5 (prf.)
Survival: +3

Wis Save: +5
17 (+3) | Cha:Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: +1 (prf.)

Cha Save: +1
08 (-1)

Languages: You know Common, Dwarvish, Gnomish, Undercommon, Primordial, Deep Speech

Spell Slots: 1st - 3/3 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 |

My words,” Rurik says carefully | My thoughts, Rurik thinks to himself | My actions . . .

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

Changelog:

• 13th August 2023 - Initial stats rolled here. Point buy/standard array chosen instead.
  • 20th August 2023 - Initial application post created. Posting template created. Stats are 10, 14, 13, 12, 15, 08 (before modifiers). 1st level bonus feat is Skilled.
  • 21st August 2023 - Clarified that Customizing your Origin and Optional Class Features were allowed - stat bonuses adjusted accordingly (+2 Con +1 Wis -> +1 Con +2 Wis).
  • 1st September 2023 - Character accepted! Added post details requested by DM. Updated posting template after realizing that both Sage and Knowledge Domain grant bonus languages (yes I have a lot of known languages). Purchased crowbar, hammer, 10 pitons, and amulet holy symbol with starting gold (8.5 gp spent - 1.5 gp left).
  • 19th February 2024 - Level up! Cleric level 2! HP Roll - 3 -> Default to 5.
  • 21st February 2024 - Added Money and Purchases list and Magic Item Wishlist.
  • 26th February 2024 - Money and Purchases list updated with Chapter 1 treasure and pre-Chapter 2 purchases - starting purchases moved to said list.
Name
Level 2 HP (before mods; set to default if below default)
1d8 3

• 2 weeks later...

Racial Features

Hill Dwarf

Ability Score Increase +1 Con +2 Wis (Customized)

Speed 25 ft. (not reduced in heavy armor)

Darkvision 60 ft.

Dwarven Resilience Advantage on saves against poison, resistant to poison damage

Dwarven Combat Training Proficient with battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, warhammer

Tool Proficiency Proficient in mason's tools

Stonecunning Expertise in Intelligence (History) checks related to origin of stonework

Languages Common, Dwarvish

Dwarven Toughness +1 HP each level

Background Features

Sage

Feature

Researcher

When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Specialty Researcher 

Skill Proficiencies Arcana, Nature (customized)

Languages Gnomish, Undercommon

Background Equipment A bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a letter from a dead missing colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

Personality

Traits

• There's nothing I like more than a good mystery. 
  • I am horribly, horribly awkward in social situations. 

Ideals

• Self-Improvement. The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself. (Any)
  • Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings. (Any)

Bonds

• I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.

Flaws

• I am easily distracted by the promise of information.

Current Class Features (Cleric Level 2)

Proficiencies

• Armor: light armor, medium armor, shields
  • Weapons: simple weapons
  • Tools: none
  • Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
  • Skills: Insight, Persuasion

Starting Equipment

• (a) a mace or (b) a warhammer (if proficient) - (b) warhammer
  • (a) scale mail, (b) leather armor, or (c) chain mail (if proficient) - (a) scale mail
  • (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon - (b) dagger
  • (a) a priest's pack or (b) an explorer's pack - (b) explorer's pack
  • A shield and a holy symbol - shield with emblem holy symbol

Knowledge Domain

Domain Spells (added at Cleric level)

• 1st    command, identify
  • 3rd    augury, suggestion
  • 5th    nondetection, speak with dead
  • 7th    arcane eye, confusion
  • 9th    legend lore, scrying

Blessings of Knowledge

• Proficiency in two languages Primordial, Deep Speech
  • Proficiency and expertise in two of Arcana, History, Nature, Religion History, Religion

Bonus Starting Feat - Skilled

Additional Proficiencies

• Investigation
  • Perception
  • Medicine

Channel Divinity (1/rest)

• Turn Undead 
  • Knowledge of the Ages
  • Harness Divine Power (1/LR)

Spellcasting - Cleric

• Spellcasting Modifier - Wisdom (DC: 13)
  • Ritual Casting
  • Divine Focus - Holy Symbol
  • Cantrips - guidance V, S, mending V, S, M, sacred flame V, S
  • Spell Slots
    • 1st: 3
  • Prepared Spells (2 + Wis mod + Domain Spells)
    • 1st - bless V, S, M, detect magic V, S, R, healing word V, inflict wounds V, S, protection from evil and good V, S, command V, D, identify V, S, M, D,R

Current Inventory

Item Location Weight (lbs) Cost (gp) Source Remarks
Warhammer Weapon 2 15 Class  
Dagger Weapon 1 2 Class  
Scale mail Armor 45 50 Class  
Shield w/ emblem holy symbol Shield 6 15 Class Cost of holy symbol included
Amulet holy symbol Worn 1 5 Purchased  
Traveller's clothes Worn 4 2 Purchased  
Belt pouch Worn 1 0.5 Background  
Backpack Worn 5 2 Class Explorer's pack
Bedroll Backpack 7 1 Class Explorer's pack
Mess kit Backpack 1 0.2 Class Explorer's pack
Tinderbox Backpack 1 0.5 Class Explorer's pack
Torches x 10 Backpack 10 0.1 Class Explorer's pack
Rations x 10 Backpack 20 5 Class

Explorer's pack

Waterskin Backpack 5 0.2 Class Explorer's pack
Hempen rope 50 ft. Backpack 10 1 Class Explorer's pack
Bottle of black ink Backpack - 10 Background  
Quill Backpack - - Background  
Small knife Backpack - - Background  
Letter Backpack - - Background  
Crowbar Backpack 5 2 Purchased  
Hammer Backpack 3 1 Purchased  
Pitons x 10 Backpack 2.5 0.5 Purchased  
Mason's tools Backpack 8 10 Purchased  
Holy water x4 Backpack 4 100 Purchased  
Common clothes Backpack 3 0.5 Background  
Fine clothes Backpack 6 15 Purchased  

Current Money

CP SP EP GP PP
  7   216  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Money and Purchases Tracking

Character Creation

• 10 starting gold from Sage background.
  • Amulet holy symbol (5 gold).
  • Crowbar (2 gold).
  • Hammer (1 gold).
  • 10 pitons (5 cp each; 50 cp total - converts to 0.5 gold).
  • 1.5 gold remaining.

Treasure from Chapter 1

• 1.5 gold left from starting gold.
  • 309 gold, 114 silver, 480 copper from share of treasure - converts to 325.2 gold.
  • Additional 29 gold from share of treasure from sewer goblins.
  • 355.7 gold TOTAL.

Purchases between Chapter 1 and 2

• 4 vials of holy water (25 gold each; 100 gold total).
  • Mason's tools (10 gold).
  • Traveller's clothes (2 gold - Rurik's previous set can be condemned/used for hard labor now).
  • Fine clothes (15 gold - not for regular use).
  • Modest lifestyle for 12 days (1 gold/day - 12 gold total).
  • 215.7 gold remaining.

Magic Item Wishlist

Tier 1 Items

1. Eyes of Minute Seeing (Table C)
  2. Sentinel Shield (Table F)
  3. Rope of Climbing (Table B)

A bit of general utility and combat bonuses, split across the tables.