Setare Orfini - Drow Charlatan Soulknife Rogue

astronavigatrix

Set2.png.a3fea384f3c8a9648195cf64762c5dcf.png

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
9 17 13 12 13 12

Name: Setare Orfini

Character Concept: Former albino drow slave pretends to be a standard high elf so as not to get shit from people. This goes about as well as expected whenever he's found out (which is to say usually not at all).

Lineage, Background, Planned-Subclass Class: Drow Charlatan Soulknife Rogue. (Possible Cleric Dip later on.)

Description: A young-looking elven man with snow-pale skin and oddly pinkish-orange eyes. His long hair is an almost silvery ashen blonde, a pair of thick braids keeping it tucked back out of one eye and held tight by a black velvet ribbon, with a few small braids scattered throughout the rest. He's usually seen in dark colors and wearing hoods or brimmed hats, with the occasional pop of color kept to chokers or slim ties. The scar on his face does not detract from how pretty he is to look at, especially with his tendency to paint thin lines of gold or silver along its edge.

Almost like a badge of honor.

Every aspect of his appearance is usually calculated to draw just enough attention to distract others and make them think him either a vain peacock or an incorrigible flirt. One of those is 'true' in the sense that he uses brazen flattery and flirtation to disguise just how uneasy most people make him- especially women. By nature, Set is a good-hearted enough person; by nurture, he is selfish, mistrustful and a little keen to solve any problem that makes him too anxious by simply getting rid of it.

Your Character’s Plothook: A dreary night, an easy mark. Or so Set presumed. Following a 'conquest' he intended to render unconscious and rob back to their home resulted in him running headlong into a trap set by his former mistress. Only quick reactions save him from the whip trying to snare his ankles, the drow-poisoned blade looking to nick at any sliver of skin and render him unconscious and immobile. Easy to transport. Disappearing into Waterdeep's misty night is his only option. But the mist seems unending, and when he finally stumbles back onto cobblestone, the faint rush of the ocean is gone.

There is only the fearful silence of people living in anticipation and dread- something he is more than familiar with.

And so for the past week and a half, Setare has found himself stuck in this strange land full of the undead and soon to die, uncertain still whether or not it's better than falling back into his former owner's clutches.

Backstory: As a child, Setare was often insinuated to be half Szarkai, a pointed jab at both his unknown parentage and his incredible pallor. Of course, given that such slights would have marked him for death, Setare learned violence at a rather early age- not unusual for a drow. Yet he never enjoyed it, and had little desire to pursue something beyond what he felt was suitable retribution. And though it did not earn him any favor with those around him, it at least kept them off his back so that he could attempt to live his life.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't last long.

Spotted on the street by the young lady of some well-to-do family, his unique pallor and pretty face made him something she wanted to own. And so own him she did, very much against his wishes- but with no living family and no real means to protect himself, he was 'taken in' as a playmate- though, to be more accurate, it was perhaps more a plaything. At best an errand boy or decoration, at worst, an object upon which to take out frustration. It was a miserable existence, being kept like little more than a pet, and being given scarcely more to eat than he needed to survive- though even that was subject to his mistress' whims.

Especially since, unlike most Drow, Set did not remain a slight and wiry thing.

He grew taller than expected by a fair bit- far more than any Drow had in what must be eons. And it only made him more of a prize, more of an oddity to be shown off. But the meals and means by which he was meant to live would not sustain him as he became older and larger both, and learning to pilfer more than his share became a necessity. Not that any of it would truly be missed by his wealthy 'benefactors', but on principle alone, he knows they would have done more than simply beat him for the audacity to need more than what they saw fit to allow him. This skill, however, is what eventually enabled his escape- stealing the key from his 'benefactors' and escaping during the household's resting hours- along with a few of their valuables to ease his way out in the world.

(It only seemed fair to him, after all.)

Knowing escape while still in the city would be impossible, he sold off what he could and bought enough supplies to make it to the surface- along with clothing that would cover him enough once he made it to keep him from faltering in the light. Once there, he decided that passing himself as a surface elf would be wise- something eased by his pallor and marked difference in personality from most Drow. In this way, he's managed to make his way through the last two decades of his life- lying to most people who have come to know him about his origins as he moved along from place to place until he finally came to settle in the city where he'd make his home- and take his place as one of the region's most notorious thieves.

His hope was that his constant movements in the decades since his escape would have thrown off his former owners- but such was not the case. Between losing him and all the property he stole, they've been hells-bent on getting him back... and on making sure he pays for it with the rest of his long, long life.

Fears, & Failures: 

Fears

• Small spaces- his previous mistress' preferred method of punishment was to lock him in a small crevice made into one of the walls for this express purpose.
  • Spiders, be they large or small. Another favored punishment was to threaten him with being offered to some of the 'pets' of other drow socialites- which were followed up on once or twice.

Rumors

•  

Include at least two of the following in your application:

Loyalties: Set's allegiances are to himself and himself alone, for the most part. There are people he... relies on for information or work, but for the most part, he's decided that he's the only person he can rely on.

Is Might Right?: No, because he's seen the 'strong' or the 'powerful' abuse their power both in the Underdark and on the surface, with little regard for how their actions impact those without the power or ability to protect themselves from those consequences.

Deity: Leira, Shar (but like... lowkey, okay-)

Music: 

Forsaken - I hear it fading, I can't speak it, or else you will dig my grave.
Bling (Confessions of a King)- So I ran with the devil, left a trail of excuses; like a stone on the water the elements decide my fate.
XS - And I'm taking in as much as I can hold, well, here are things you'll never know.

Impressions: 

Amelia Gray: Capable. No-nonsense. Knows what she's about and what she wants to do. Seems to have a good head on her shoulders, but even if she's very mildly terrifying.

Edwin Carver: Seems nice enough, but may be a bit over his head. Seems like he'd be more dependable than some of the other self-proclaimed 'knightly' types that are around.

Caldir Balbroth: Making friends with dragonborn is always a good idea. They're usually stalwart enough to watch your back if you do a decent job of it. And one who can befriend a tressym is probably more than worth dealing wtih.

Countess Kathryx: Whether full vampire or just a spawn, there's no trusting someone (or thing, perhaps) that has most of the rest of the world on its dinner menu. There's also just something about her that's very, very unsettling.

Kain Dorset: A self-important noble type. He and his harem of retainers would be a hindrance in terms of supplies, but a help in terms of sheer numbers and carrying capacity. Still... too many women. Too many women by a mile.

Harin Avosi: Means well, but thinks all problems can be resolved with words, and in a place like this, may not be the best attitude. Also not too good at recognizing when doing so might land him in more trouble than it will help the situation.

Images

SetA00b.png.07f220cf0e44081f2da6572ee7ee2abc.png

Edited by astronavigatrix (see edit history)

Set2b.png.af6234f708b5711a218e96203c0530ce.png Setare Orfini

Charlatan Drow Rogue

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 9/9 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 10
Str: 9 (-1) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 13 (+1) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Celestial

“My words,” Set says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Set thinks. | My actions . . .

Because MW messed up how color is done, it might be easier just to pick one of the default palette colors. However, if you’ve got a particular color you’d like to use, find it’s hex code (#006600, for example). Next, change the text color to the default burnt red (called “Warm_1”) just below the black. In the source, replace “rgb(var(--mwpalette-Warm_1));” with “#006600;”.

OOC

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

I don’t always have OOC content to post, but if I did, it would go here, below the Movement, Action, Bonus Action, and Reaction (which will always be there). Those need to contain the mechanical explanation of your otherwise natural language post.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Soulknife Rogue

Hit Points: 9
Hit Dice:
 1d8 per rogue level.
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier.
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per rogue level after 1st.

Proficiencies

Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Thieves’ tools, Disguise kit, Forgery kit

Starting Equipment

rapier
shortbow + arrows (20)
burglar's pack
leather armor
dagger x2

Charlatan

Favorite Scheme: I put on new identities like clothes.

Feature: False Identity You have created a second identity that includes documentation, established acquaintances, and disguises that allow you to assume that persona. Additionally, you can forge documents including official papers and personal letters, as long as you have seen an example of the kind of document or the handwriting you are trying to copy.

Inventory

Worn

leather armor
rapier
dagger x2

smoked quartz glassesWearing these goggles negate the penalties of the Sunlight Sensitivity flaw, as well as negating natural Darkvision. If the wearer takes more than 10 bludgeoning damage from a single source, roll 1d20. The DC of the check is 10+(Damage taken -10). If the check is failed the goggles are cracked. If this check is failed while the goggles are cracked, they are considered destroyed.

Weapons

shortbow + arrows (20)

Instruments & Tools

thieve's tools

Money

5gp

Other

burglar's pack
a set of fine clothes
a disguise kit
a set of weighted dice

On 10/13/2023 at 6:24 PM, Anthr4xus said:

No, my apologies, I expanded the "unknown parentage" beyond what it was.

No, no you're alright there! Also I do plan to add a little bit of the odd psychic vision/vague sense of deja vu/vecu to Set's general flavoring just because I'm going soulknife, so I thought I'd mention that now so it doesn't come out of nowhere!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Added your equipment to your character sheet with weights. You were also missing a quiver for your arrows, so I added that (and deducted 1 gp for it). Your total weight with everything is 95.5, which makes you Heavily encumbered. You'll also need to define your default action and/or reaction.

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)

Stats on your goggles:

Smoked Quartz Goggles

Adventuring Gear, High Quality

Wearing these goggles negate the penalties of the Sunlight Sensitivity flaw, as well as negating natural Darkvision. If the wearer takes more than 10 bludgeoning damage from a single source, roll 1d20. The DC of the check is 10+(Damage taken -10). If the check is failed the goggles are cracked. If this check is failed while the goggles are cracked, they are considered destroyed.

cost 10 gp

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, Anthr4xus said:

I hadn't noticed before, but is Setare a native of Falkovnia or did he pass through the Mists as he moved to the surface from the Underdark?

He's not a native! He's from the Underdark in good ol' Faerun. I had picked a city for him and everything- I can make a note of it on his main post if you'd like?