Caipirinha aka "I love this sweet Brazilian lemon and cachaca drink, what could possibly go wrong?"

RenanWild

So, this is my family recipe for one of the most famous Brazilian drinks there is, it is very simple to make, but hard to master! I won't include the amount of ingredients exactly, because this is a more of a "feeling" recipe, but I'll give some directions on how much you should add in general.

Ingredients:

Limes

White Sugar (you may use simple syrup or even brown sugar, but I prefer normal white sugar for this one)

Cachaça (Sugar cane distilled spirit)

Prep:

Grab your limes and cut them on 4 parts on the vertical axis, usually I'll put like 4/5 limes, and here is the family "secret": Cut the white part of the inside of the limes on each wedge! Pick up your wedges, add them to a cocktail mixer, add some sugar (Here is where the feeling part comes into play, the drink should be sweet, it has a lot of cachaca and lime, so you should go heavy on sugar, but not too heavy the drink turns into syrup) and muddle everything together, rinds and all. Add some ice and here comes the fun part: Pour a LOT of cachaca, at least 1.5 times the height of the lime juice, but once again, do it a couple of times to get a feeling for it. Shake it all together and voila, your drink is ready.

Pouring and presentation:

I like my drink "rough", I pour everything on a cup and drink it as is, but you can, if you want, sift everything in a chilled glass with ice and that is pretty much it! You can add a lime wedge on top, middle or on the glass rim

• 1 month later...

A fun twist I tried out a few years ago is that you can replace the lime slices with berries of various kinds for a berry caipirinha. Muddle the berries as you would the limes but be sure to add a splash of lime juice as well to make the flavors pop. I got very favorable reviews of my blackberry, blueberry, and raspberry versions.

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, Mister Doctor said:

A fun twist I tried out a few years ago is that you can replace the lime slices with berries of various kinds for a berry caipirinha. Muddle the berries as you would the limes but be sure to add a splash of lime juice as well to make the flavors pop. I got very favorable reviews of my blackberry, blueberry, and raspberry versions.

Oh yeah! and we also have a version with Vodka, we call it Caipiroska, try it with kiwis or strawberries as well, both work very well with the two spirits!