Kindled Magic: IC Thread, Book 1, Chapter 1

ripleycat

ab8fe5932b6e93e67957b0b69970d37c.jpg.527e6438408908f20238cc255b275f68.jpgSzastuhastah

AC: 17 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +5 | Will: +6
HP: 19 / 19 | Hero Points: 1 / 3 | Perception: +6
Focus Pool: 2 / 2 | Cantrips | Spells | Conditions

Szastuhastah is obviously both surprised and pleased that her uncertain attempt at communicating with the little snake would yield such a clear response. She smiles and bows her head faintly at the little sibling and whispers back, <I am pleased to hear this. The old masters do not follow me hither, so you need not worry for change. I am here to learn, then depart. But it is an honor to make your acquaintance.> The nagaji slowly lifts herself back from the ground and nestles back into the coil of her lengthy body, looking almost slightly embarrassed at having engaged so secretively with the creature. Gesturing with an open hand, she explains, "They are happy here, well tended and free. And alsso... sspoke ass if more than one ssingle being. Curiouss." Her smiling visage turns to the others around the circle in case one of them might have gleaned some magical insight into its unexpected usage of self-identifying pronouns. Regardless, her arms fold back into her long sleeves and she regards Teacher Ot again.

For her own answer to his question (she does not understand why asking such a thing would cause him pain), she must consider. There is little she might boast as a strength of herself, coming from a place where she has been considered 'lesser-than' among her peers. Even the rarity of her bloodline is not something she feels she deserves to place her pride in, as she has not yet earned it. In some ways, she hoped that The Magaambya might unlock some door to whatever her masters wished her to be... and yet she also felt so strongly about her own, individual path. And her music.

"C-courage..." Szastuhastah finally says, voice catching at quite an inopportune moment. "I have come to sstrange landss amongsst the unknown with nothing given to me ass insstruction or explanation... We ssailed the great ssea and braved dangerouss portss for a mysstery - at leasst, for mysself. So... courage. Courage to sstand here among you honored friendss."

Rasalhaguetoken_2(1).png.0d7a3a7a8302939cde4f728fd47da281.png - Character Sheet

checked-shield.svgKAC: 18 Fort: +9 Ref: +8 Will: +3
health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 Hero: 0/3 | awareness.svg Perception: +3

His greatest strength? Ras let the others speak up, each in turn, trying to define themselves or perhaps project what they wanted to be. He thought hard about what could be characterized as his 'strength', looking back over a life spent in and out of treatment by various healers and miracle workers.

There was what had happened in Mzali...

"I didn't die," Ras finally said. He did not think it was what the instructor really wanted to hear and it felt odd to say on this pleasant, rain-dappled morning amidst the bright talents of the other students but it felt truer than anything else he could have said in the moment. "I have not died."

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

Teacher Ot listens carefully and quietly to the wide array of wildly different virtues that you believe your greatest strength. "These answers have deep thought behind them. I'm quite pleased. Often, new students decline such personal questions, or brush them aside with trifling answers - they answer with what they think I wish to hear, not something honest to themselves. This speaks well of you."

He then sets a small taper candle in front of each of the students, another practical test. “Can you light this candle without flint or matches?” He glances up at the fat raindrops that occasionally pierce the tree's canopy. "Don't worry. They need not remain lit for very long."

Nyoka-2-200x300Nyoka - LG Tiny Poppet (Toy) Cleric of Mazludeh 1
HP
16/16 | FP 1/1 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +9 | Perception +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25'
Status Effects: None | Spell Effects: None | Spells Prepared: 1st Rank: Heal, Bless, Sanctuary

Nyoka's face bleaches a few shades lighter as she considers Teacher Ot's new request. Light a candle? Nyoka's had limited but overwhelmingly bad experiences with fire. Tiny beings made of wood don't mix well with flames. She'd had one of her favorite dresses ruined in an attempt to have a nice, warm fire ready for Ot and Niana, to say nothing of the damage to her arm. Fortunately, poppet "flesh" heals naturally over time, much like a biological person's, and a slight discoloration on her hand is the only sign that the unfortunate event even occurred. Nevertheless, it's an incident she has no desire to repeat.

"Um... I think I'll pass, if that's okay," she says, clasping her little wooden hands together. "Unless no one has any other ideas. I have a few. I'm just... not especially comfortable with fire."

ab8fe5932b6e93e67957b0b69970d37c.jpg.527e6438408908f20238cc255b275f68.jpgSzastuhastah

Szastuhastah is pleased with the response from Teacher Ot and equally with the answers from the other students. It did not seem as if any of them were striving to prove some ambition or agenda, as had sometimes been warned about the people beyond her lands. It was a surprising bit of humility, even. The nagaji turns a smile to each of them, though it is with a sympathetic turn of an eyebrow when she regards Ras. There must be much more to his story than has yet been shared.

The coil of her long body shifts as the taper candle is placed before her and the smile begins to fade. She did not have anywhere near the experience of her kin who traveled the jungles and knew the wisdom of survival in the wilds. Warmth was integral to her culture, certainly, but the creation of it was... somewhat taken for granted. At least for her. She was not like most of her kin. While she puzzles at the unlit wick, considering whether there is anything within her power or ability to answer his request. Her magic is... not like most?

"I fear thiss iss not ssomething that iss within my abilitiess, Teacher," she admits after some pondering. "But I am ccertainly willing to learn the knowledge of it."

Ras stared at the candle. It felt... well 'perfect' was not exactly the right word. Ot had called this a 'conversation' but Ras did not know how much he trusted that. This was supposed to be one of the premier magical schools on the planet. It could not just be an honest conversation, could it?

Looking to his left he saw Adalet breaking out some simple supplies that studiously followed Ot's instructions. To his right, he could hear the little doll and the serpent woman both politely declining. Those two had taken the lead on the snake and shown just why they were here.

Getting up, Ras walked a few paces away from the others. Scaring new classmates would not be a great way to start the semester. Taking a deep breath, he focused inwards, slightly hesitant as he knew what was coming. It started at first with steam, the rain droplets making their way through the branches of the tree sizzling into steam before they hit the ground around him. Then came the fire, wicking out from his chest and over his clothes in a transparent, ghostly conflagration that did not blacken or burn him as it spread. Tongues of unreal flame seemed to lash out in various directions, reaching a frankly alarming distance from him in their desire to push through into reality.

Ras winced, adjusting his posture as the elemental matter that had lodged in his leg the night before sparked to life. He focused on his palm and the guttering flame gained light and color until it looked as though he held the head of a torch in his hand. Carefully, he touched the wick of his candle to that flame and drew it away lit... and a couple of centimeters shorter.

He closed his hand, extinguishing the flame and let out his breath. The nearly real flames licked up towards the sky once more and then vanished. Walking back to his place on the grass with dry clothes and a more pronounced limp, he sat back down as though he had not just been on fire, much less in a profoundly strange and esoteric way. He glanced over at the two who had already declined to try and light their candles.

"Ms. Nyoka, Ms. Szaza- Sazsth- Ms. S, pass me your candles. The teacher did not say you could not have help."

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

Title

AdeletBladeseeker.jpg.9fc9f374aa529dfd45196ffdb508658f.jpgAdalet Bladeseeker - Character Sheet

AC: 16 Fort: +7 Ref: +4 Will: +5

HP: 24/24 Hero Points: 1/3 | Perception: +3

| ConditionsNone

Adalet grins approvingly at Ras. "Oh, I think I'm going to get along with you, fiery one." She turns to her own candle, digging a piece of wood with a small divot in it, some tinder, and a stick out of her pack. She fills the divot with the tinder, sets the end of the stick in the divot and begins to roll it back and forth between her hands until the telltale whisper of white smoke indicates her success. Quickly, she dips her candle in the small flame she has sparked. "Hope you don't mind that I didn't use magic, Teacher," she says. "But every good Matanji girl knows how to start a fire without flint."

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

The mix of amusement and alarm on Teacher Ot's face is something to behold. "Conjure a flame" was about as simple a task for novice mages as could be imagined, but here they were, watching Adalet rub sticks together while Ras wrestled to close a spigot spewing vast, unreal energies from beyond.

"There's no harm in saying no. A good, honest 'no' is a fine answer. We're here to learn, after all. 'No' is nothing more than a starting point. It's also sensible, sometimes. Safe. Common sense! That's an excellent habit to cultivate. Those of you who take Teacher Ulawa's classes would do very well to remember it, and I say this as someone who appreciates her... enthusiasm."

He smiles at Adalet's preparedness. "Ah! I did not ask you to use magic. I asked if you could light a candle without flint or matches. And you have."

"Almost done. A few more questions, a choice to make, and we'll be off, somewhere a little drier, I promise. Now, a question for yourself, and a test with many answers, all depending on how you look at it."

"First, What work have you done to bolster those around you before now? Initiates are here to learn, yes, but the Perquisite is a time of service. The two go hand in hand."

"Second," Takulu places something in the middle of circle of students. A humanoid's arm bone, cleaned and polished. "Can you soothe the soul of this bone?"

Adalet's enthusiasm for his spectral flames just got an uncomfortable look from Ras. He studiously turned his attention back to the teach as the next aptitude tests were presented to the assembled students. The uncomfortable look remained as the questions were asked. Ras had never really considered much outside of himself and Illya. They spent too much time moving around for that sort of thing.

As for the bone...

"My turn to pass, teach. I've only really got the one trick and I doubt burning that bone to ashes is what you meant."

Title

1692853888270.png.b0ced860f439d00f511a21a3118f48c1.pngCecilia - Character Sheet

AC: 18 Fort: +3 Ref: +8 Will: +5

HP: 17/17 Hero Points: 2/3 | Perception: +5

Ammunition: 30/30 | Cantrips | Conditions

Still puzzling on the fire situation, Cecilia watched in mild amazement at the orc lady's resourcefulness, followed by the young man's innate abilities. Sitting back, her silence told volumes as she did not incline to show any skill with making a fire. Which was not entirely inaccurate.

Moving on, once again the young woman waited her turn before chiming in. "Oh certainly! My family comes from a long tradition of gratuity and forthrightness. I would not be here today if I did not hope to enrich those around me with some flatulent benefit. I hope to do my family proud with what I accomplish here."

Satisfied with her response, fabricated as it may be, the young Taldane then went even bolder, stepping towards the bone as she ran a finger along the length of it. Closing her eyes, the human muttered sagely. "May the Spiraling Gray Fate guide the soul this is tied to ever onward, continuing the journey into the next."

Show Mechanics

Action 1: Deception roll, result 21

Action 2:

Action 3:

HP
16/16 | FP 1/1 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +9 | Perception +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25'
Status Effects: None | Spell Effects: None | Spells Prepared: 1st Rank: Heal, Bless, Sanctuary

Nyoka gives Teacher Ot a confused look. Soothe the soul of a bone? She knows he enjoys questions like this that force people to think creatively, and she knows the answers they give reveal quite a lot about who that person is and how they see the world. Still, this one seems particularly odd.

She considers what she knows about faiths and traditions that revere their ancestors. She read a book on the subject from Teacher Ot's private collection, and one of the perks of being a sentient doll is near-perfect recollection of learned facts. Was there something in that book... ?

No, there wasn't. At least not that she can understand. Some people believe their ancestors live on and can guide and protect their descendants if they keep their bones with them. So... perhaps this is one of Teacher Ot's ancestors? Who is... sad?

Nyoka steps forward and regards the bone for a long moment. Then she reaches out a hand and pats the bone gently. "There, there."

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)
Name
Religion to Recall Knowledge
1d20+7 4

Szastuhastah considers both of Teacher Ot's questions for a long time - long enough for the others to offer their answers. She imagined that the things she was expected to do, or be capable of, upon her return would not satisfy the question, seems deeds and duties were not so intertwined. Both cultural and social elements of her home had isolated her from much of the outside world and even some of their private one. Maybe one day she would be some sort of powerful or influential person among her people, but right now she was just... herself. But then, as she looks about her distantly in thought, she notices her three companions loitering some distance away and she has an answer.

"Where I am from, there are many ssuch ass thesse who sserve my people," she says quietly, gesturing to the three. "Not all are fair and not all are kind... but my friendss have sshown kindnesss and protection to me. I hope that I have sshown them the ssame respect in return, for they are desserving of it." It still feels like an unusual example, among folks of different worlds. "Not all sshare my feelingss on thiss..." A soft color finds her cheeks and she is glad that there is a second part to his query.

Regarding the bone (and taking in the different responses of her fellow students) Szas is.... perplexed. She did not think that the translation had been incorrect, but the concept did not make sense. The soul did not inhabit the bones... nor the arm specifically... not to mention that there were likely a great many opinions on that matter. Her hands fold in her lap and a frown forms on her face. She looks up at Teacher Ot with a slight tilt of the head. "I... do not undersstand thiss... I am ssorry."

Ras's refusal draws a nonjudgmental nod, while Cecelia's word choice earns a raised eyebrow. Teacher Ot doesn't seem to suspect the lie behind her enthusiastic response to hist first question, but, well... "'Flatulent' is, I hope, not the word you meant to pick? Your reading of 'soothe' is a wise one, however. The Grey Lady's rites would certainly help a soul to rest."

Nyoka's somewhat befuddled sincerity draws a loud and genuine laugh from her mentor, and Ot's face remains split into a wide grin as he leans forward and hugs the little doll. "That is the first time in a very long time that someone has taken the puzzle so literally, but I think you answered the challenge well! Kindness and sincerity will rarely steer you wrong."

"As will asking for clarification." Szas's honesty meets with approval of another kind. "No teacher is perfect, and this is a more important lesson than any of my poking at your skill and memory. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my explanation, or I assumed too much. Never be afraid to ask questions. Never march off into the jungle following someone else's bad map."

"And now for something different. Not a test, though it may look like one." Teacher Ot stands and stretches with a small groan, then conjures six glowing symbols in the air. They hover lazily in a loose circle. A flickering candle, a pair of pursed lips, a multipronged key, a running hourglass, a set of balanced scales, and an open hand, with an eye in the palm. “You see six symbols before you. Which do you choose, if you wish to choose?”

OOC

Each symbol (or refusal, which Teacher Ot accepts as a valid choice) provides a different magical reward, which will last until second level, when you select your multiclass archetype, and this minor spark is replaced by far greater magical lore.

Title

AdeletBladeseeker.jpg.9fc9f374aa529dfd45196ffdb508658f.jpgAdalet Bladeseeker - Character Sheet

AC: 16 Fort: +7 Ref: +4 Will: +5

HP: 24/24 Hero Points: 1/3 | Perception: +3

| ConditionsNone

Adalet frowns. "The key. They can be so many different things. A weapon in a pinch, a way in, a way out...They contain possibility, I've always felt."

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

HP

Nyoka accepts Teacher Ot's hug happily, though she immediately grows self-conscious about how it must look to her fellow students. Teachers aren't supposed to have favorites, after all--she read that somewhere--so, even if Ot is like a father to her and she's sort of like a daughter to him, they're supposed to act like that isn't the case, aren't they?

Well, maybe he plans to hug everyone, eventually. That would make it fair, right?

She ponders his next question and the symbols he conjures, studying them to see if she recognizes any of them. Regardless of their context, however, one clearly appeals to her the most. "I think I would choose the candle," she says. "It gives light and warmth, but it needs to be protected so it doesn't go out."

Name
Arcana to recognize the symbols
1d20+5 8
Religion to recognize the symbols
1d20+7 20
Society to recognize the symbols
1d20+5 15