Kindled Magic: IC Thread, Book 1, Chapter 1

ripleycat

Rasalhaguetoken_2(1).png.0d7a3a7a8302939cde4f728fd47da281.png - Character Sheet

checked-shield.svgKAC: 18 Fort: +9 Ref: +8 Will: +3
health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 Hero: 0/3 | awareness.svg Perception: +3

Ras shrugged at this next question. It brought to mind the association tests one of the scholarly men up north had put him through. They had been convinced his problem was all mental and had him sort through various pictures and abstract ink blots while questioning him on what he saw. Ras remembered profoundly frustrating him by being entirely too literal the whole time. That doctor had turned a pretty remarkable shade of puce after three rounds of it and declared Ras to be an unsalvagable incompetent best lobotomized and institutionalized for everyone's safety. He had never seen Illya break a chair with a man before so it had been a day of many firsts.

He had had enough of fires to last a lifetime, so that was a hard pass from him. He did not know much about keys and pursed lips seemed a bit more suggestive than he was strictly comfortable with. He doubted he would be doing much with lips other than eating and speaking for the time being. The balanced scales reminded him of the stuffy Abadar priests whom he did not much care for. The running hourglass felt... predictable? Overused? The hand with the eye was new, however. It reminded him of some of the motifs he had seen in Jalmeray

Stepping up to it when his turn came around, Ras said, "This one."

ab8fe5932b6e93e67957b0b69970d37c.jpg.527e6438408908f20238cc255b275f68.jpgSzastuhastah

AC: 17 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +5 | Will: +6
HP: 19 / 19 | Hero Points: 1 / 3 | Perception: +6
Focus Pool: 2 / 2 | Cantrips | Spells | Conditions

Szastuhastah's head bows and she smiles in response to Teacher Ot's words, reassured that her lack of understanding was, itself, a valuable lesson for all. There may be many times that the translations and meanings of this strange place did not make sense to her at first and she hoped to continue to have the humility and courage to do so.

As the subject changes to the glowing runes and others step forward to claim their own, Szas regards them and the meanings they might have for herself. Balance... Time... Speech...? On one hand, she might consider how one of these would speak to the expectations that rest on her shoulders. Priestess and heir to a cultural responsibility.... On the other hand, her heart is, and has always been, moved by music. And where two of them felt like calculated measures, the third felt free by comparison. To speak, to sing, to persuade... just a few of the many things that the power of the tongue possessed.

Uncoiling to slide forward, Szastuhastah wordlessly reaches out to claim the pursed lips, once more bowing at this mysterious gift from Teacher Ot.

Title

1692853888270.png.b0ced860f439d00f511a21a3118f48c1.pngCecilia - Character Sheet

AC: 18 Fort: +3 Ref: +8 Will: +5

HP: 17/17 Hero Points: 2/3 | Perception: +5

Ammunition: 30/30 | Cantrips | Conditions

While relieved that her answers were accepted, Cecilia's pale cheeks visibly colored as Teacher Ot drew attention to her linguistic faux pas. She knew her Mwangi was..not very refined. After all, it was a crash course that taught her it given the limited time she had as part of the transfer exchange. She had hoped she had grasped the subtle intonations and inflections right, but clearly she had more to work on.

Avoiding dwelling on that matter, she instead felt relieved with the next question. Looking them over, she pointed to the hourglass. "This one feels best."

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Aside from their literal representations, Nyoka knows the symbols aren't religious emblems or markers of note in Nantambu. There's no Order of the Sacred Hourglass. They may just be another test, with Teacher Ot curious to see how the students will interpret their choice as part of something larger. As she reaches out to touch the candle, there's a puzzling but pleasing sensation, something within her being kindled into being, a little spark of magic becoming something more. The candle is light and warmth that needs a shelter, and Nyoka understands now that she can bring that light forth herself.

The little feeling of kindling growth repeats in turn as everyone makes their choice. Adalet's key of many uses becomes a spark of helpful utility, handy for countless tasks. Ras's new eye opens to an unfamiliar use of magic - it's not merely a ravenous flame, it can protect as well. Szas's lips sing, but there's more than mere performance. There's subtlety, privacy. They can whisper just as easily. Cecelia's hourglass flows steadily. It is soothing, settling. Her personal little packet of time, to do with as she likes.

Once everyone has made their choice and received their small gift, Teacher Ot rises to his feet. “At the Magaambya, we seek to understand our differences. Where others might dismiss a trait as irrelevant or troublesome, we understand that the things that make us unique in life are key to who we are as people. And it is who we are as people that defines our magic. Sometimes, it is things that are different about us, things that societies have taught us to hate, that show what our talent will be. To the north, people say that children with white or red hair have strong potential for magic. Here in Nantambu, we recognize that left-handed people are skilled at undoing spells. One student of mine is terrified of butterflies, even though he considers it ridiculous. Yet in exchange for this fear of fluttering whimsy, he has one of the most orderly minds for games and strategy that I have ever seen."

“Sometimes, we do not understand our magic, and that lack of understanding causes pain. People who are uncomfortable in their own skin are incredible shapechangers but often feel unsettled until they recognize the shape they were meant to be. Those who feel an urge to jump from high places often become frightened of themselves, but they are simply channeling the untrained will to fly. “Sometimes, our talents are not revealed by happy means,” Teacher Ot face becomes somber, and he continues, “One student here had a family who planned her life out from birth to death, punishing her when she deviated the slightest bit. She only found freedom in the thought of her grave, and as a result, the dead began to speak to her. Here, she has freedom to choose her own path, but her necromancy remains strong."

“You don’t have to share, but I want you to ask yourselves: What about you defines you, even if others rarely notice it? Is there something inside you that pulls at you, perhaps defying rational explanation? Thus, I return to my first question: who are you, and how can that person best be guided to grow?”

Once everyone has shared, or at least promised to think about this final, personal question, Takulu hands each of you a small yellow and blue bead, made of durable glass, with a little hole so it can be threaded on a string. "As initiates of the Magaambya, you're expected to wear a string of beads at all times. How you wear them is up to you, so long as they are easily visible. You'll have many beads in time, I hope. They are markers of progress and accomplishment, reflecting upon you as a student and on the school as a whole, and I am honored to give you your first, having seen you through your admission. Welcome."

"Now, enough riddles and magic for one day! We have more practical matters to see to. Gather your things and follow me, and we'll get you moved in. You will all be staying in the Spire Dormitory this year. You can see it, just there, on the far side of the courtyard, along the river."

OOC

The results of your choice of symbol are below:

Flickering Candle: The hero gains dancing lights as a primal innate spell.

Multipronged Key: The hero gains mage hand as an arcane innate spell.

Pursed Lips: The hero gains message as an arcane innate spell.

Open Hand with an Eye in the Palm: The hero gains shield as an arcane innate spell.

Running Hourglass: The hero gains stabilize as a primal innate spell

Ras rubbed his palm as something unfamiliar thrummed into his being. He was used to mentally examining himself, second-guessing the reports his own nerves sent him. This was very different. Options, he had options now.

He had expected more of an incisive process. Having been measured and tested so many times throughout his travels, it felt entirely strange to not be held to that standard here. This was a premier magic school according to just about anyone he had asked and yet here they were opening their doors to someone whose only talent was burning things. He kept feeling like the other shoe had yet to drop. Maybe Illya really had some pull here.

Ot seemed certain that he was supposed to be here and the stories he shared felt... familiar but none of them fit exactly. His last questions of this orientation felt terribly obvious to Ras. He knew the answers but he very much doubted Ot would like them. How was he supposed to appreciate and understand something that burned him with each use? How was he supposed to grow like that? It was something he needed to fix.

Still, he accepted the first bead, rolling it between his fingers with an uncertainty that he would be seeing many more.

ab8fe5932b6e93e67957b0b69970d37c.jpg.527e6438408908f20238cc255b275f68.jpgSzastuhastah

When Teacher Ot rises, Szastuhastah's coiled form begins to slither out of its compact place as well, raising her up to "stand" with the others. Accepting the bead with a bowed head, she looks at it in her palm and considers this last student that he spoke of. The thought of having your whole life planned out for you resonated with her - the entire journey here had been some sort of secret to begin with. Only the three who accompanied and served her knew what had been told and she felt uncertain if they also would be paying attention to her advancement and achievements while attending the Magaambaya. Would they report to her family? Or were they as cut off as she?

While he continues to speak, Szas reaches up above her ear and twirls a long strand of green hair into an adequate 'thread' and slides the yellow and blue bead up and through until it is just at her temple, securing it there. The first of many such achievements, but this first step will remain there, closest to her mind. A subtle tint colors her cheeks and she collects her hands together again in front of her. "It iss a duty and expectation that I become a sspiritual guide for my people, but the old wayss are harsh and... archaic. I might revere my ancesstorss' godss, but they do not move my sspirit like they do otherss." She looks down, almost like she is silently asking forgiveness before continuing. "That which doess move me iss mussic, which I hope to continue nurturing and practicing here among many culturess and peopless. The ssongss of my people are sstrange and ethereal, but I know there iss sso much more to it than that. Joy and pain, love and hate, hope and regret... the experience of life livess in the deep memoriess of mussic."

When they are called to gather their things and prepare to move into the dormitory - conveniently near to where her ship had weighed anchor - Szastuhastah slides gracefully into line with the others and heads that direction. Quietly, she moves alongside the young human, Cecilia, and smiles. "I, alsso, am not fluent in the tongue of thiss land," she murmurs, reaching up to touch the comb in her hair. "If there comess a time that clarity and eloquence are important - a tesst perhaps, or dialogue - you are welcome to borrow thiss charm of mine."

Nyoka-2-200x300Nyoka - LG Tiny Poppet (Toy) Cleric of Mazludeh 1
HP
16/16 | FP 1/1 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +9 | Perception +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25'
Status Effects: None | Spell Effects: None | Spells Prepared: 1st Rank: Heal, Bless, Sanctuary

Nyoka instinctively reaches out to take the candle as the symbol floats toward her, as if it were a real object. She feels a tingle as it touches her outstretched hands; it travels up her arm and into her heart, from which it spreads across her whole body. She recognizes that she's gained an ability she didn't have before; instinctively, she focuses on that power to produce a trio of tiny little motes of multicolored candlelight, which dance in the air around her.

"Oh," she says simply, watching the bobbing flames. She brushes her hand against one, and, as she expected, it doesn't burn; it gives off no heat at all. She smiles, and, with a gentle effort of will, sends the lights upward and outward to dance in a circle around her new classmates.

Teacher Ot's next question, however, settles upon her with a heavy weight. Who am I? What defines me? She doesn't know. She hasn't been part of the world long enough to know. She's... kind, she thinks. But is she, compared to most other people? She's suspects she's fairly bright, too, but is she? Is she brave? Honest? Responsible? She needs to see more of the world before she can say with any certainty.

She accepts the little bead that Ot offers her and looks at it thoughtfully. It's smaller than the ones given to her classmates, but still much too large for her to wear on a necklace or earring. She supposes she'll need to make a sash out of it. And figure out a more practical solution once she's earned a few more of these beads.

Finally, she looks to the Spire Dormitory. She knows from her reading that, thankfully, the dormitory itself is a single-story building. The four imposingly tall towers around it will absolutely not factor into her day-to-day life, aside from looming menacingly overhead when she walks past them. She forces a nervous little smile onto her face. This is going to be her home now. Are they going to give me a whole room? she wonders. That seems like so much space to give someone so small. I hope no one gets upset with me.

Title

Taking the bead, Cecilia held her hand up in front of her, dancing the newfound magical energy from finger to finger as she took a moment to feel its presence. A brow and smirk were raised in unison, an eager curiosity as the gift was taken. Deftly undoing her pendant necklace, the young Taldane woman slipped the bead along the chain, letting it nestle at her collar as she redonned the accessory.

As for the question, Cecilia kept herself silent, instead turning inward. It was...a heavy question, but not one she spent too much time on. After all, it seemed this Teacher Ot was satisfied with students at least thinking about the question...so she kept that appearance up.

Departing for a few moments, the young woman returned to the procession to their dormitory. Towing a small cart behind her, the poor hand cart was laden with her various bags and packs of luggage...likely clothes and other sundries. As she filtered in, she blinked as the snake woman came up to talk to her, her cheeks flashing red at the subject material. "Ahaha...that obvious was it? I mean, I only had a few months to learn, but I had hoped not to make a mule of myself. Shasoopasta, right? Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, it is appreciated." Remaining bright and cheery, the woman walked, regarding the others before settling on the doll Nyoka and gesturing to her cart. "Would you like a lift?"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

spacer.png"Everyone learns at their own pace. Things tend to move in waves here, and the last graduation was a big one, so there are currently more empty rooms in the Spire building than we have incoming students, at least for now. Nobody will need to share a room unless you wish to."

"Once you've moved in, you'll be free for the rest of today. You're welcome to relax, or explore the campus at your leisure. If the rain dissuades you from going out and about, well..." Takulu simply laughs. "Get used to it! It's like this half the year in Nantumbu."

"Soon, though, you should visit the student supply store, or the Powderpile, as most call it. Initiates are granted a reasonably generous stipend along with their basic school supplies, it's best you claim yours before classes begin. Xhokan has everything you'll need, anything a lore-speaker will require for class, and much more besides."

"There are plenty of other students around, and many are eager to meet you. In fact, there are some now, I believe. I wish you the best of luck. If anyone wishes to come by the Indigo Hall and chat, my door is always open." Teacher Ot bows as he departs, leaving you in front of the Spire Dorm.

Spire Dormitory is an open, airy building in the south-east corner of campus. Four tall spires surround the building and give it its name, two by the north entrance, two by the south. At 50 feet high, these spires stand much taller than the sprawling dormitory, which, as Nyoka recalls correctly, is only a single story. First impressions are bright. The walls of sandy-colored stone are covered with murals and decorations, and the floors are mosaics, with all manner of gliding, swirling patterns. It's not gloomy, despite the rain now spacer.pngpouring down from increasingly dark clouds above. There are colorful lanterns hanging inside and out, and tall ceilings mean none of the new students have to bend or crouch, even Adalet.

Right on cue, a young woman trots out from the one-story dormitory building, shielding her head with a silk umbrella reinforced with dry reeds. She's even got an armful of extra umbrellas for anyone who she judges insufficiently sheltered from the rain.

“You’re the new students, o? You’ll be rooming with us in Spire Dorm. Come in, I’ll show you the place!” The woman gestures with her umbrella toward the door, taking a few steps back toward the building’s welcoming, dry overhang. It turns out she's not alone. A catfolk sprawls beneath the eaves of the dormitory building, a sliced and sticky mango laying on a cloth on his chest. He looks up from licking the juice off his fingers, his mouth spreading into an indolent, toothy smile. “Care for some mango?” he says cheerfully while gesturing idly to the fruit. “Or if you’d prefer something to cheer you up from the rain, I have some wine brewing back in my room?”

“Don’t offer them your moonshine!” Esi scolds, before addressing you again. “This is Chizire. Don’t become a slacker like him.”

“Pft. I don’t need to study. Amurruns have the best magic, everyone says so,” Chizire scoffs. “Esi here is trying to run the entire school. Even playing teacher for the new students, it looks like.” Esi blows out a sharp breath and spins on her heel, eventually turning all the way around to fix Chizire with a redoubled glare. “Koride told me to get them settled. Said that handling the new students was our job.” “Psh. Do we look like attendants to her? Not yet, we aren’t,” Chizire replies, turning his attention back to peeling the skin off another slice of mango. Esi waits for a moment before scuffing her foot at the catfolk’s tail and then stepping all the way over him to go inside. "Ignore him. Come on, o! before your things get ruined!"

OOC

For easy reference and to follow along during the tour to come, the Spire Dormitory map and layout are here. All rooms marked A14 are empty and available to you new students, to be claimed or argued over as you see fit IC.

"My stuff is still back at the inn with my guardian," Ras said, gingerly stepping into the new space that was to be his home for however long he ended up staying at Magaambya. Even if he did have all of his things, he packed light. Illya and he moved around enough for a lot of personal possessions to just be inconvenient weight to account for.

"I'll take some of that wine though, if the offer is still good." The walk to the dormitories had been long enough for his clothes to dampen again after his little display of power had fully dried them earlier. He was not about to tap into his gate again merely to dry off so a nip of wine sounded about right. He just had to remember not all places had the same idea of how strong 'wine' should be. Illya still teased him about the time they tried Minkai rice wine together and Raz had needed to be carried to his room.

Title

Pulling her cart towards the dorms (toting Nyoka along or not), Cecilia was a bit out of breath from all the luggage carried, and quite soggy from the rain. Surprisingly though, the young woman politely declined the offer of an umbrella, instead wheeling herself under an awning alongside Ras.

"Heck, I'll try anything once, count me in." Grinning apologetically to Esi, she nodded to Chizire before turning to Ras. "If you'll allow me..." Breathing in, the young woman raised her hands up, muttering to herself as she seemed to pull the water from her hair with invisible force. Gathering it together, it formed a ball between her intricately placed fingers before she let it drop with a splash. Repeating the process on her clothes, she then proceeded to dry the man off.

"I suppose it's to our rooms next?"

Show Mechanics

Action 1: Using Draw Moisture to dry off Cecilia and Raselhague, plus anyone else that requests

Action 2:

Action 3:

Edited by Toraka_Stormheart (see edit history)

Nyoka-2-200x300Nyoka - LG Tiny Poppet (Toy) Cleric of Mazludeh 1
HP
16/16 | FP 1/1 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +9 | Perception +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25'
Status Effects: None | Spell Effects: None | Spells Prepared: 1st Rank: Heal, Bless, Sanctuary

Nyoka gratefully accepts Cecilia's offer to ride on her cart, clambering up into it with only a little awkwardness and managing not to dislodge anything as she does. She takes shelter beneath a particularly stuffed luggage case jutting out from the rest of the pile, keeping herself mostly dry as they move through the rain.

As Esi and Chizire introduce themselves, Nyoka looks between them nervously. Esi seems very nice and well-mannered, which the little poppet finds reassuring. Chizire, however, immediately fills her with anxiety. The young catfolk's entire demeanor screams "irresponsible," and she immediately marks him as a bad influence who should be avoided as much as possible. "N-no, thank you," she says in her tiny, sweet voice, declining his offer of wine.

When Cecilia suggests finding their rooms, Nyoka slides carefully down from her cart and nods in agreement. "Yes, please. Um, Esi? Do you know which room is the smallest? I, um, don't need a lot of space."

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

"Pleasse, call me Szas," the nagaji answers Cecilia with a smile. Of course, loaning the device would place her at a particular disadvantage until it was returned, but she was happy to assist where someone else was struggling. The long serpentine motions of her body carry her alongside the cart while her humanoid upper body seems to float near them. Soon, the trio of servants who accompanied her across the sea are in tow with Szastuhastah's belongings, ready to deposit them wherever she might request. It felt a little uncomfortable to appear to have people at her beck and call, but she assumed they would soon disappear to whatever task they had been assigned by the ones who sent them all here.

Upon meeting the two at the dormitory and observing their back-and-forth conversation, Szas smiles in a mixture of amusement and uncertainty - are they truly at odds, or is this the sort of banter they enjoy having? With all things in this new place, she tries to see things through a neutral lens to understand this new culture and not immediately make assumptions. "Thank you for your offeringss, friendss," the nagaji answers with a faint bow of her head. "But perhapss later, when I am ssettled in. Though I feel l as if I may need ssomeone'ss recommendationss at thiss Powderpile. I would appreciate learning what iss loved - and what iss not - from thiss land."

Szas passes through into the dormitory and finds an available room for herself, nodding gratefully to Seti, Vath, and Zetra as they deposit the sacks and crates that followed her from Jzarsset. Some of it is a mystery to her and she leaves those things to set in one corner. The rest of her personal belongings, she piles onto the bed and sighs contentedly. Once done, she slithers back to the doorframe and peers out at the activity in the halls and the other students getting settled in.

spacer.pngspacer.pngChizire seems pleasantly surprised that anyone takes him up on his offer of wine, though that does require him to actually get up, so it all evens out in the end. "Wonderful. It's a good batch this time. I'll... *mmph* I'll just meet you there. Let Ezi give you the tour. She's been practicing for days."

"Nyoka! You're going to be a student with us, o? It's about time!" Having initially missed the cart's passenger, Esi hops in surprise and smiles warmly, a bit puzzled by the tiny poppet's humble question. "I suppose? There's a room by the east bath that's not very big. Come, I'll show you."

Getting the new students moved in proves simpler than perhaps Esi feared. There are plenty of empty rooms, as Teacher Ot promised, so it's simply a matter of picking out one that you like the feel of. The Spire Dorm is clean and colorful, but endearingly mismatched and asymmetrical. An old building that's been renovated many times, nothing quite lines up perfectly. There are two washrooms, the skinny western one and the fat eastern one, two baths, the perpetually warm western one and the cool eastern one, two changing rooms, the western one that's been made into the communal laundry, and the eastern one, actually for changing. At the eastern end of the main hallway, a large, pretty well-done drawing of the mask of Nethys adorns the wall, next to the perplexing message "All-Seeing Solutions: Pay in Light, Let the Darkness Show Wisdom!"

Entering the dorm also brings the new students through the common room, filled with mismatched plush couches and little tables, covered with books and assorted personal effects. There are two more students here. One is an exceptionally well-dressed young man, pale even by the standards of the lands far north of the Inner Sea, who quickly hides whatever notes he was writing from view before standing. He's a peculiar, almost exact mirror of Cecelia, from complexion to floppy dark hair to bright blue eyes to slender build to fashion, right down to the flashes of golden jewelry and even the bright violet overcoat, drawing a disbelieving laugh from Esi and Chizire. "We have a spare!"

The young man bows with the stiff, polite charm of someone who's bowed too often to too many people, and offers an equally rehearsed smile. "The new cohort are here! I am Ignaci. It's a pleasure to meet you." He's trying very hard not to stare, at Ras and Szas especially, and isn't succeeding. "We're the only ones here right now. The rest are in class. If you want to meet everyone, I host a weekly game night. Tomorrow evening, in fact. You're absolutely welcome to attend! And if you need any alchemy done, I offer a variety of elixirs and items at, er, a reasonable fee, only to recoup my time and expenses, you know?"

"You're as bad as Chizire!" Esi groans, drawing the catfolk out of his room with several wooden mugs and a jug of something pearlescent and sweet-scented. Behind him, the curious can see that he's somehow managed to assemble a full-sized still in his room. The contraption easily takes up half of the free space. "Hm? Oh, no, Ignaci's worse. I don't charge for ingredients." The catfolk's offering is white as milk, viscous, rich, sweet-sour, and rather potent, and not at all like any "wine" most of the new students are familiar with. He watches their reactions eagerly.

The other student present is a gnoll, but those distant travelers who have only read of the hyena-folk could be forgiven their confusion. She's no towering predator. In fact, at barely three feet tall, the only person she isn't dwarfed by is Nyoka. She's disarmingly cute and exceptionally fluffy, with light tan fur with dark spots, big alert ears and quivering, anxious amber eyes. Ear piercings, necklaces, bracelets and bangles, all are clean white bone, from all sorts of different creatures. She's apparently trying to clear out an infestation of ants, leading a very fluffy white chicken around by a stick, clucking encouragingly, and watching as it eagerly gobbles up the ants.

"Oh! Oh no!" The gnoll squeaks in horror when she looks up and realizes she has an audience - an audience of strangers! She flees, shyly trying to avoid notice by hiding - poorly - behind the nearest piece of furniture, one of the couches. Everyone in the dorm can clearly still see her. And the chicken.

"Anchor, it's all right, o? They're just the new students. It's moving day." Esi's reassurance brings the gnoll back down from 'abject terror' to 'mild panic attack', but she continues to avoid eye contact as if she'd done something terrible.

OOC

There are several secrets and oddities and hidden things in the dorm. Feel free to explore whenever you like!

Ras sipped the sweet wine appreciatively. If he was put off by the strength or flavors at all it did not show. One thing his travels had definitely broken him of was having a limited palate. When on the road with Illya, there were more than a few times where his options had been 'eat the interesting regional cuisine' or 'skip dinner'. A few days of stubbornly holding out had eventually ended with him taking the plunge. "Hmm, a bit early in the day for something this strong but it would go nice after a big meal. What did you ferment for this? Fruit?"

He barely seemed to notice Anchor's anxiety fueled overreaction to the presence of new bodies in the dorm, instead giving her an awkward little wave. Ras was definitely not going to be the one to effectively calm the nervous gnoll down at the moment.

ร—
ร—