Kindled Magic: IC Thread, Book 1, Chapter 1

ripleycat

Nyoka-2-200x300Nyoka - LG Tiny Poppet (Toy) Cleric of Mazludeh 1
HP
16/16 | FP 1/1 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +9 | Perception +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25'
Status Effects: None | Spell Effects: None | Spells Prepared: 1st Rank: Heal, Bless, Sanctuary

Nyoka sets down what few possessions she brought with her today--she'll need to collect the rest of her humble belongings from Teacher Ot's home later--and looks around the "small" room. It still seems huge to her, and it has a window, which she hopes won't make anyone whose room doesn't have one jealous. She didn't mean to claim a nicer room than someone else might have gotten stuck with.

Ignaci's invitation to his game night immediately draws Nyoka's interest. She's good at games! Thanks to the near-eidetic memory of most poppets, she's very good at memorizing the rules to complicated board games quickly and can recite them at will. "I'd like to join, but, um, what kind of games?" she asks the handsome Taldane. "And, um, what kind of alchemy?"

The appearance of a tiny, skittish gnoll immediately sets off Nyoka's protective instincts. She cautiously steps towards Anchor, holding out a hand like she would to a nervous dog (not realizing that this might seem a bit demeaning). "H-hello. Please don't be afraid. I'm Nyoka."

Name
Diplomacy to improve Anchor's attitude.
1d20 6

1692853888270.png.b0ced860f439d00f511a21a3118f48c1.pngCecilia - Character Sheet

AC: 18 Fort: +3 Ref: +8 Will: +5

HP: 17/17 Hero Points: 2/3 | Perception: +5

Ammunition: 30/30 | Cantrips | Conditions

Cecilia was all smiles as more students revealed themselves, offering a passing, smiling glance at Anchor before letting her be. She laughed a bit at the comparison between her and Ignaci, even as she sampled the viscous liquid that Chizire offered. Her eyes and nostrils flared as the potency hit her, causing her to sputter just a little before downing it. "Pfwah! My, that's some stuff. Whoo..."  Apologetically grinning towards Esi, the Taldane grabbed her cart and started making her way to an open room.

On the way, she couldn't help but glance at the mask of Nethys on the wall, along with the transcriptions.

Either way, finding a colorfully decorated room, the young human simply pushed her cart into the middle, resigning to unpack later as she opted to flop on the bed, staring at the ceiling as the pondered what this new chapter would be like...

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

“Mmhmm. It’s date palm wine! They grow all over here. You can gather enough to make it right on campus.” Chizire seems equally proud of the taste and the lack of effort that went into it.

“Oh, all sorts. Whatever sounds right that night. Card games, board games, darts, puzzles, party games, a few we just made up ourselves. If I don’t have it, Okoro does.” Ignaci points down the hall towards a room that’s been left hanging open. Simultaneously spotless, yet stacked nearly to the rafters with game boards, toys, and sporting equipment. “Do you have a favorite?  It’s only fair for the new arrivals to pick.”

“And as for alchemy, I’m not boasting, but I’m good at mixing elixirs, and all those little tools and ways to make life easier.  Not that I’m turning away new customers, but you should go to the Powderpile and see Xhokan first! They give students an allowance and supplies at the start of each semester. It's the 'Powderpile' because of all the reagents they keep stocked there. Don't sneeze like I did.”

Anchor Root doesn’t seem demeaned by Nyoka’s gentle approach, but the poppet is obviously something new to the little gnoll, and the effect is more to exchange one form of anxiety for another. She offers the most tentative of waves in response to Ras, but nothing more is forthcoming. Root is clearly curious about the tiny wooden student, and full of questions, but obviously terrified she’ll mortally offend if she actually asks them, so she clams up even tighter.

Cecilia gets the sense that the mask of Nethys is more than another piece of art on the walls, but how, exactly, eludes her quick glance as she heads to her new room.

Esi nods and wags her finger when Ignaci mentions the Powderpile, like the good idea he had was a tangible thing hanging in the air she could point out. “And the dining hall, o!  Unless you’re not planning to eat this semester!  I’m helping in the kitchen this afternoon. I’d be happy to show you where they are, if you want?”

OOC

Ignaci can brew any common elixir of 3rd level or less, and any alchemical tool of 4th level or less. There’s even a chance he’ll just have what you need right on hand, depending on luck of the dice.  If he makes anything more illicit, like poisons or bombs, well, that’s certainly not talk for the common room.

Rasalhaguetoken_2(1).png.0d7a3a7a8302939cde4f728fd47da281.png - Character Sheet

checked-shield.svgKAC: 18 Fort: +9 Ref: +8 Will: +3
health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 Hero: 0/3 | awareness.svg Perception: +3

Ras noticeably perked up at the promise of food. Being caught in a constant cycle of burning and healing meant he was almost always a little hungry. "I am planning to eat this semester, yes."

A somewhat horrifying thought slowly dawned on him. Clearly he found it a dreadful one but something imminently possible in a school full of intensely magical people, "There isn't some commonly known spell to keep from needing to eat is there?"

HP
16/16 | FP 1/1 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +9 | Perception +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25'
Status Effects: None | Spell Effects: None | Spells Prepared: 1st Rank: Heal, Bless, Sanctuary

Nyoka perks up at Ignaci's question about her favorite board games. "Siege!" She immediately looks embarrassed at her enthusiasm; her wooden cheeks shift to a cherry hue. "It's a strategy game," she explains, in case anyone is unfamiliar with the game. "It's very complicated, and there are lots of optional rules. I'm not very good at it, but it's fun to imagine what all the terrain and soldiers and monsters would look like in real life."

She nods at Ignaci's suggestion to visit Xhokan at the Powderpile. That sounds like an excellent first course of action, though she'd prefer to go with one or two of her new classmates. She's less likely to be kicked, stepped on, or otherwise overlooked that way.

As she considers this, she eyes Anchor Root. The little gnoll is as curious to her as Nyoka is to her. She's read about gnolls like this, but this is the first time she's meeting someone almost as small as she is who isn't another poppet. Heck, even the few other poppets she's encountered towered over her. Sensing Root's anxiety, she offers her a genuine, if nervous, smile. She doesn't have any clue what to say to break the ice with her, so she just falls into an awkward silence and turns to listen to what response, if any, Ras' question gets.

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

Title

AdeletBladeseeker.jpg.9fc9f374aa529dfd45196ffdb508658f.jpgAdalet Bladeseeker - Character Sheet

AC: 16 Fort: +7 Ref: +4 Will: +5

HP: 24/24 Hero Points: 1/3 | Perception: +3

| ConditionsNone

Adalet waves at Anchor Root, struggling to contain the urge to ruffle her fur because she's just SO GOSHDARNED ADORABLE! "Hi, Anchor, hi everyone! I'm Adalet. I'm from Yamonji. I'm still working out the kind of magic I want to do, but I'm pretty strong, so if you need help moving furniture, and the like, I'm your girl." At the mention of the dining hall, Adalet turns to Esi, eyes wide as dinner plates. "I am absolutely starving. Please show me to the dining hall?"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ab8fe5932b6e93e67957b0b69970d37c.jpg.527e6438408908f20238cc255b275f68.jpgSzastuhastah

AC: 17 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +5 | Will: +6
HP: 19 / 19 | Hero Points: 1 / 3 | Perception: +6
Focus Pool: 2 / 2 | Cantrips | Spells | Conditions

From her perch nearby, Szastuhastah takes in the suddenly flurry of social interaction, some of it crossing overtop of each other, and smiles. It was clear that this was a lively place, one that would take getting used to for one so used to the confines of her own people's ways. Still, the nagaji is silently pleased to be meeting these new people (one at a time, thankfully) and getting an idea for their personalities. That goes for her cohort as well - Cecilia's openness to new drink, Nyoka's affinity for games, Adalet's clear but restrained love of soft, furry things. With hands clasped politely in front of her, Szas slithers out from her newly claimed 'home' and nods her head to the other students.

"It iss a pleasure to meet you all. My name iss Szastuhastah, but pleasse call me Szas." Clearly Anchor Root is one she will give plenty of space, considering her own imposing size and the assumption that small, furry creatures are a menu item for ophidian beings. Nevertheless, she does her best to give the little gnoll a non-threatening little hand wave. "I would be pleased to ssee both thiss Powderpile and the dining hall," she then adds to Esi, the closest thing to an 'authority' on the campus that they've met besides faculty.

Turning also to the male Taldan who has been having trouble keeping his eyes off her (which she understands, being an unusual being among bipedals), she worries there are going to be plenty of instances of mistake identity for her, between Ignaci and Cecilia. But his own interest in alchemical things piques her interest. Just genuinely curious, she shifts closer to him and asks in a rather innocent (and almost overwhelmingly sibilant) tone, "Thiss ssoundss like ssome of the priesstesssess of my landss. Do you alsso know much about poissonss or venomss?"

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)

Gone and out of sight for a few moments, Cecelia managed to unpack a few of her possessions before she was otherwise distracted. When she did come out, the pale Taldane's cheeks were a distinctly rosy hue, her smile wide as she walked over to where the others were, rejoining them.

"Suppose I should, how to say, get more familiar eh? Did someone mention food? hic"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.pngIgnaci grins, and after much careful rummaging, sets aside a very hefty wooden case. "I like Siege. It lets you imagine what it'd be like to give Cheliax what they deserve." Sazs's question about poisons draws a much more muted response and a fervent shake of his head. "Oh, no. That's not my department. Some of the advanced teachers dabble in such things, but even if I did know the formulas, the ingredients are too hard to come by. You'd lose your purse trying to sell them."

Adalet's guileless warmth draws a tentative wave and the smallest of smiles from Anchor Root, who eventually emerges from behind the sofa once it's clear that the newcomers probably aren't going to eat her, though she remains quietly in the background.

Ras's question gets a troubling amount of serious thought. "O-Okoro would know. And if he didn't, he'd research until he did..."

"I can summon food and water, but that's not the question..."

"Interesting idea. I have a spoon that makes as much awful porridge as you'd ever want, but you still have to eat it."

"Professor Zuma probably has a dozen stories about paranoids who tried to avoid poison by not eating."

"No, it's probably best to just eat, o? What they serve is very good! C'mon, else I'll be late."

The Magaambya’s dining hall is a large, kitchen-warmed two-story facility with handsome mosaics and plenty of seating. Though most students take their meals outside on sunny days, the hall is a very popular meeting place for students and teachers during the rainy season. Today, it's crammed to the rafters with those escaping the downpour. Scholars soak up the warmth, chat with each other, and casually eat slices of mango or plantains from wide, shallow baskets that adorn every table.

Entering through a side door, Esi herds her ducklings directly into the kitchen, where vast clay ovens roar and cauldrons big enough to feed a campus bubble above magical flames. You're greeted by a formidable and surprisingly young Bonuwat woman, her dark, curly hair tied back with a vibrant purple bow, and a slightly gap-toothed smile powerful enough to split the grey clouds looming outside. "Esi, there you are! You brought them right to me, thank you. Now we have enough fresh meat for the evening meal!" She giggles at the horrible joke even as she sweeps the new students in out of the rain and clucks over you like a mother hen. "I'm Lumusi Yao. This is my domain, where we feed you all. Like filling a bottomless pit! I like to greet the new students in person. You always look so famished! Now, grab a bowl and take a bead."

"All students and faculty get two meals a day. And of course, you can come get a snack whenever you please. Just show these, so we know you've been admitted." Lumusi's beads are tiny little bunches of intricate glass fruit. "We're open from sunrise to two hours after sunset. This is not a barracks. No set schedule. You come on by when you're hungry, and we solve that."

Lumusi turns slightly serious for a moment. "And part of getting your bead is letting me know if there are things you can't eat, whatever the reason may be. We offer many options for many stomachs. Don't you dare think about going without food because you think you're being a bother."

"If you want to earn some extra coins like Esi, we are always in need of help, with a dozen different things. Not just cooking! Gathering supplies, making repairs, shopping in the markets, tending the community gardens, butchering the lazy students they bring us. We are always grateful to anyone who wants to join in."

There's a wide array of trays and pots set up facing the dining tables, filling the air with spice, with all sorts of dishes for all sorts of palates, mostly the kind that are easy to serve to a line of jostling students: Casseroles, several different soups and stews, steaming pies, both sweet and savory. Sides of fruit and veggies, rice and flatbreads, sweets for desert. Pitchers of juice and milk, samovars of tea and coffee. It's certainly not fancy, and it may be far from what some students have known at home, but it certainly looks as though Lumusi keeps her word to keep everyone well-fed.

OOC

During Downtime, anyone who wants to Earn Income can help out in the dining hall. Lumusi always needs help, and almost any skill you can roll can be used. One option, among many, to keep in mind, as this is an AP with a fair amount of regular, built-in Downtime.

While he had been a bit ambivalent about the first bead, Ras could not take the bead from Lumusi fast enough. He was already eyeing the food as she explained the what they could expect in terms of the school feeding them. His worries about magically conjured porridge or some sort of horrid nutritional spell had now been firmly assuaged.

If it were not for the fact that the information on when and how he could get a full meal was important for eating on the next day and the day after that, Ras might have already peeled off to grab a meat pie or some of that fragrant fresh bread. He was rocking slightly from foot to foot, trying to clamp down on the spike of rude impatience that twisted inside of him. There was just so much of it and there did not look to be a payment counter or any method of tracking how much anyone ate. He was sure the school probably accounted for the cost of meals in tuition but it was still an extravagance like he had never seen before. Travel with Illya had often been on a tight budget and while the two of them had gotten many a memorable meal together, they did not exactly have the luxury to indulge.

• 2 weeks later...

Following in the group, the *slightly* inebriated Taldane allowed herself to be swept up by the kitchen master, giggling a bit as she focused her attention to the sights of the crowd, the sounds of conversation, the smells and aromas of rich and varied foods. Making (or attempting to make) a mental note of the schedule, Cecilia dipped her head in reverence to the woman as she took the bead.

"You are very kind. It all shmells so lovely. Mm, if nothing else, pardon me~"

Flashing a bright smile, the young woman practically tripped over Ras on the way to the serving line. Grabbing a tray, the Taldane proceeded to helping herself to a sampling of most of what was offered, ending up with a (more than) adequate meal. Finding a space, she then proceeded to be occupied for the next several minutes hungrily tucking in, curious to see if the other newbies joined in.

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ab8fe5932b6e93e67957b0b69970d37c.jpg.527e6438408908f20238cc255b275f68.jpgSzastuhastah

AC: 17 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +5 | Will: +6
HP: 19 / 19 | Hero Points: 1 / 3 | Perception: +6
Focus Pool: 2 / 2 | Cantrips | Spells | Conditions

Bringing up the rear of the group, Szastuhastah seems fairly unbothered by the rain and not the least discomforted by her garb beginning to cling. The thought crosses her mind to lose the garment entirely - clothing is more for adornment or decoration in her culture than modesty, after all - but decides it might be prudent to get a feel for her cohort before presenting herself as such. It has been taught that such behavior may be unbecoming or lascivious in the eyes of some human cultures.

Making no effort to wick away the rainwater herself, Szas stiffens slightly in surprise as Lumusi fusses over drying her. Already it is becoming clear that there is a baseline of casual, physical contact among peers in this place, which she will remember and try to temper her reactions appropriately. Her hands appear from her deep sleeves and cup to receive the miniature cluster of fruit, which she promptly ties into the long strand of hair she has chosen to honor such gifts. Bowing her head in appreciation, she watches the others move directly to their meals with relish and a soft, airy laugh escapes her.

"Missss Yao, your hosspitality iss welcoming and appreciated," Szas answers once it is her turn to speak. "I, ehm... If it iss not a terrible impossition, the diet of my people leanss a bit more... carnivorouss..." she whispers the word "than ssome, if it iss a posssible offering. It doess not have to be ssspecially prepared though, I promisse." It is likely that this is not so complicated a request, but the abundance of tropical fruit and other fare could lead her to believe that hunting might be rare or even discouraged. "I am happy to offer sservice for the sspecial conssideration, if I am able."

HP

Nyoka smiles at Lumusi as she explains the process of acquiring food and inquires as to the new students' dietary needs. "Thank you very much. I don't eat much, and I don't think there's anything I'm allergic to or shouldn't eat. But, um, I might need some help reaching the food? And I could probably, um, use a smaller plate, if that's not too much of an inconvenience. Sorry."

With some assistance, the little poppet, armed with a saucer and a shot glass, acquires food and drink for herself. With further assistance, she sets up a little area for herself on the table, between her new colleagues, and sits cross-legged with the saucer balanced on her lap. She picks up a spoon almost as long as her arm and then at the little pile of casserole on her plate, clearly trying to figure out the logistics of how this will work. "Darn it," she mutters, before clasping her little wooden hands to her mouth and looking at her fellow students as if expecting a reprimand for her foul language. "Oh! I'm sorry. I left my utensils in my room. I guess, um..."

The poppet regards the casserole miserably for a moment, then sticks her bare hand into it and scoops a dainty handful into her mouth. She looks at the others, her wooden cheeks reddening with embarrassment. "Sorry," she says again. "I'm really hungry, though..."

Lumusi listens attentively to the students' requests. After considering the hygiene of a wooden body, she grabs a stool and a spare chair to fashion makeshift stairs for Nyoka. "You can walk along the counter, little one! Just take care not to fall in."

Szas's notice is taken mostly in stride. “Of course!  You’re not alone. That’s a pretty common request, actually. If your stomach can handle other things, that pot on the end of the line there is lamb stew today. There’s always at least one meat or fish dish, and always at least one vegetable dish, for that matter. If you need it raw, it’s best you slip back here. We’ll get you something to fit your appetite that hasn’t been sitting out.” Lumusi pauses and shudders, remembering some culinary horror of the past. “Not making that mistake again.”

"Oh no." The cook spots the poppet's dilemma too late, and while she can't save Nyoka from her handful of casserole, she does fetch a tiny measuring spoon from the kitchen. It's still a bit like eating with a ladle, but it's something.

spacer.png

Once those who were hungry have finished their meals, Esi begs off from kitchen duty for a few minutes, so she can guide the new students to the other vital landmark, the Powderpile.

"Xhokan's been here for ages. Longer than a lot of the lorespeakers. He can be... particular. Everything recorded, everything in order. It's for your health, o? Most of his supplies are simple reagents, but there are strange and dangerous things from the advanced classes, too. If you put your nose in the wrong crate, you could sneeze and blow up half the campus! Just follow his instructions, and all will be well."

Xhokan is a teal-scaled kobold, small, knobbly, slightly hunched, and made of at least one-third huge lashing tail, with a pair of sharp horns and wrinkled, appraising eyes. He's dressed in odd clothes that bring to mind both the waistcoat of a fussy clerk and the workclothes of an eccentric inventor without actually being either. He peers over his account book and carefully counts and marks each person who enters the Powderpile before announcing in a soft rasp "Welcome! New students! One of my favorite aspects of the position. Single file, please. We'll get you properly outfitted. Please don't touch anything unless instructed!"

How the student supply store got its nickname is clear as soon as you set foot (or coil) inside. The building is large and cavernous, built like a barn, and filled with so many magical powders it resembles a spice market. There’s far more than reagents available. All manner of equipment and alchemy lines the walls, stacked on shelves far taller than the diminutive manager, who checks several boxes on a manifest and presses a small lump of clay into your hands. “If you would, roll this into a bead, shaped and decorated as you like. I have quite the collection - one for every student who has come through those doors while I have been here.”

Those who follow Xhokan’s instructions find their clay-beads eagerly exchanged for finished ones for their own threads - little tan beads in the shape of a bulging sack. The beads are soon followed by real bulging sacks for each of you.

"Ms. Djana, would you help assign our supplies to their correct recipient?" Esi gets to work with only the tiniest crack in her cheery outlook. The sacks contain assorted student basics, and also a hefty purse of Nantambu goldfish, the coins named for the little school of river fish that decorate the back. Nyoka's supplies are her size, but he sack of gold poses a challenge. "New initiates receive a stipend to assist with their arrival on campus, and are provided with the basic necessities for their classes."

“All students in good standing also receive a monthly allowance, and supplies that are hopefully adequate for the demands of their classes.” It’s clear the two piles of identical money and supplies are somehow quite different in the kobold’s keen mind, to be tracked and dispersed separately. Woe to those who suggest otherwise.

OOC

Xhokan’s store sells many common items the heroes might need: all adventuring gear; alchemical items, held items, and worn items up to 3rd level; oils, potions, scrolls, and wands up to 5th level; and staves up to 6th level. He can recommend merchants in Nantambu for other common items the heroes might want. Xhokan also notes that the store pays a finder’s fee for items of interest to the Magaambya, allowing the heroes to sell treasures and loot they find but don't want themselves to the school. His store opens two hours before lunch and closes at sunset.

Xhokan provides you with your initial stipend as new students - 40 gp each, along with some of the basics for attending classes - ink, quills, parchment, etc.

Xhokan also provides you with your monthly allowance as students in good standing: 4 gp each, along with some of the basics for attending classes - ink, quills, parchment, etc.

These are separate things. That’s very important. Without proper accounting and receipts, we are but savages.

Yes, 40 gp (+4gp) is a lot, but it’s also much of your treasure for this chapter. Spend it wisely but freely. :)

Ras clearly takes the warning of the volatile nature of the Powderpile to heart, nervously breathing only when absolutely necessary and focusing inward to keep his own volatile gifts under control with every ounce of focus he can muster. Detonating the school's supply store before even attending a single class would be more mortifying than he could dare to comprehend... if he even survived the resulting explosion. The open sacks of reagent sitting on display does little to allay his worries about causing an accidental demolition.

Ras takes the clay lump and simply rolls it into a quick teardrop before handing it back. The school supplies and gold get quickly stuffed into his satchel with barely any consideration. Supplies received, he quickly shuffled back to the door, restrained from ducking out entirely by decorum's demands that he not simply abandon his fellow freshmen entirely and forcing him to balance the anxiety of potentially causing the sort of incident that would be recounted for years afterwards with making a bad impression on everyone else.