Act 2, Part 2: Adventures in the Greenbelt

Kavonde

Starday, 14 Pharast, 4702 AR

You all awaken the morning after your battle with Kressle and her bandits refreshed (at least, as refreshed as any of you can be, sleeping on bedrolls in a very noisy forest). After making your morning preparations, you return to Sija's wagon to plot your course from here.

You know that the Stag Lord's fortress lies somewhere to the southwest, likely along the shores of the Tuskwater. That, ultimately, will be your goal. However, given the unknown odds against you, it may be wise to seek power elsewhere in the Stolen Lands before you make your move against the bandit king.

You know that the Sootscale kobolds have been feuding with a nearby tribe of wicked fey, and the shaman you met at the moon radish patch, Sukto, promised to reward you for your assistance in dealing with this problem. (Though his preferred solution might be a bit more permanent than you'd like.)

You also know that, according to Kressle's surrendered lackey, there is supposed to be an old ferry station to the east where, supposedly, a powerful magic weapon can be found.

Additionally, you didn't find Svetlana's wedding ring among Kressle's collected loot. She would probably be very grateful, perhaps monetarily so, if you could track that down and return it to her.

And speaking of the trading post, it may be worth returning there at some point to see if there's any news from Brevoy, or other local homesteaders who've come to Oleg for assistance.

Finally, you've heard rumors a couple of times now about an ancient, long-abandoned temple of Erastil (a rare thing, given the Stag God's ascetic nature) somewhere deeper in the Thornwood to the west. Given the Stag Lord's supposed connection to Old Deadeye, this might be a lead worth investigating.

Where will you go next?

uc?export=download&id=1dRpitT3CcasYF2DNUtVf9NtjWbs0fRXE

Sija Bhatyani - Half-Elf Ranger 2

HP: 31/32 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 1/3 | Focus: 1/1

Perception: +8 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +7 | Will: +6 

Conditions| Resources | Abilities | Skills

"Maybe we can help those kobolds we met the other day. At least they're nearby. Maybe we can help with that matter on the way to find this 'powerful magic weapon'." She says with slight sarcasm. She looks over the magical hatchet Kressle was carrying and tries to identify it without much hope.

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction:

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Elf Atavism (Darkvision)

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Sija looks like a typical Vudran woman, often dressing in the more traditional fabric wrap of her homeland and often a headscarf or shawl. She often wears some form of ornamentation or jewelry on hands, ears, neck, and brow. She is older than most, though as a half-elf she wears her six decades with dignity and grace, with few signs of the decrepitude often seen in similarly aged humans. She is tall, and stands with a straight back and good posture. Her arm is strong and well-corded with sinew and muscle, perhaps appearing a touch wiry, and her skin a bit weathered from years outside. Her hair was once a glossy black, though now it is streaked with gray; more with each passing day.

She can often be found with a cudgel, a wicked-looking curved dagger, and a whip hanging from her belt. She wears these, and warm outer clothes or a cloak to protect her from the elements, when she travels. When expecting trouble she throws a bandolier on that's filled with flasks of healing ointments and poultices.

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)
Name
ID Hatchet properties
1d20+5 2

Antonia.png.1c894b2d47bceebd582721c66eea058b.pngAntonia Rullianus

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svgHP: 30/30 | awareness.svgPer: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Panache:  | Conditions: None

"The Kobolds? You cannot be serious, darling." Antonia, who has been checking her paint-chipped fingernails for signs of wear-and-tear that she can actually resolve, now looks up to Sija with a melodramatic pout. "Oh, Dear Desna, she's serious. Kobolds are hardly the source of riches -- and I mean that in the monetary sense and in the sense of prestige. What is to be gained from these nasty little critters? Not much, I think. Of course, you know me, pet, I'm not the picky sort." She winks, knowing she speaks a lie. "I'll go along with whatever you all think is best, be it lizard-babies or otherwise. I, for one, think that bandit nearly wet his trousers speaking with us. Surely his idea of a magic item of power is hardly worth a twinkle in our eyes. But..." She pauses dramatically. "...it will most likely be something of worth. If not to us, then perhaps to our low-swinging Bandit King friend."

Mechanics

Action 1 -

Action 2 -

Action 3 -

image.png.5bee56e36745271f76b0d86a3c4f8045.png

Zakon Malheur

HP: 20/20 | AC: 14 | Perception: +7image.png.ee2050fec237379a2949f7b183fe1591.png
Fort: +4 | Ref: +4 | Will: +9
Hero Points: O | Focus Points: O

Zakon shakes his head, offering another perspective. "If we intend to settle and rule these lands, we will find our task significantly more difficult without the support of the... natives." Zakon seems uncomfortable with the topic but obligated to offer his companions the benefit of his experience. "... and we find ourselves presented with an opportunity to lead by example." Zakon looks around, trying to gauge his companions intentions towards the alleged transgressors. "Before we take sides in this conflict, however, I propose that we give the gremlins the opportunity to engage with us, productively, before we condemn them."

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +7 | FP: 2

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +6

Thomas snorts. "Opportunity, 'e says. Rope tae hang themselves wi', like. Nary a courtroom fer ye here, Judge; nay, nor circuit tae ride, neither. Ye cannae have prisoners 'til ye've built a goal, an' taken taxes tae spend on it. When I were a wee bairn, me bonnie land was a slice o'border, nae held by one side nor the other. The noose an' the blade pecked at us, but nivver cuild they rule us. Th'law was a changin' thing, whitever it needed tae be fer folks tae have scran an' safety, an' keep from havin' a square go at each other. Ye need peacetime an' plenty fer laws."

He and Æthelflæd have been having one of their quiet but heated arguments, the fae alternately snippy and imploring, and Thomas' mood has gone sour again. Æthelflæd tugs Thomas' sleeve and clears their throat; Thomas glances back at them, scowls, and spits over his other shoulder, then makes a gesture like tossing a handful of something over it. "Ay, dinnae luik sae sour, ye clinkit priss. I'll nae haud me wheesht."

He scratches at his jawline, scowling. Just a roguish hint of stubble, for all that no one's seen him shave. Then he clears his throat, and Æthelflæd raps their staff of office against the ground like a herald. Thomas raises his voice, smothering the brogue a little, smoothing the burr out of it.

"Stag Lord aside, this land has a lady already, and a law: the First Law o' the First World. A fey queen, or some such, with wanderin' attention an' whims. They've wandered tae me, I regret tae say. It's a sair fecht, bein' sae pleasin' tae look upon. She showed me Erastil's temple, like, all twined in the Thornwood's vines, the god's statue outside, west o'here, an' bid me seek it. Summat there may help us against the Stag Lord. She has plans fer me, she says."

Æthelflæd looks on, solemly. Thomas' face screws up like he's tasted ashes, eyes as distant and mournful as the others have seen to date. "Well, an' tis richt ye ken it. But her plans are nae me own, an' e'en if she be a faerie queen she be nae me own lady. Nay, nor even a faint shadow of her. Whit can she do tae me worse'n what I endure? I'll spit i' her eye an' work against her whims, dinnae worry. I'll go wi' ye whichever road ye take."

OOC/mechanics

Sija raises her eyebrows at Thomas, clearly impressed. "Looks almost young enough to be my grandchild, but speaks wisdom like a sage..." She murmurs. "I'll go whichever way. These bandits and their leader are trouble, true. A magic weapon would help, also true. And maybe we learn something else helping those kobolds or mites. Anyone have a three sided coin?"

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction:

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Sija looks like a typical Vudran woman, often dressing in the more traditional fabric wrap of her homeland and often a headscarf or shawl. She often wears some form of ornamentation or jewelry on hands, ears, neck, and brow. She is older than most, though as a half-elf she wears her six decades with dignity and grace, with few signs of the decrepitude often seen in similarly aged humans. She is tall, and stands with a straight back and good posture. Her arm is strong and well-corded with sinew and muscle, perhaps appearing a touch wiry, and her skin a bit weathered from years outside. Her hair was once a glossy black, though now it is streaked with gray; more with each passing day.

She can often be found with a cudgel, a wicked-looking curved dagger, and a whip hanging from her belt. She wears these, and warm outer clothes or a cloak to protect her from the elements, when she travels. When expecting trouble she throws a bandolier on that's filled with flasks of healing ointments and poultices.

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +7 | FP: 2

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +6

"Aw coins be three-sided, Mam," Thomas says, voice gloomy. "Ay, an mony sharp-edged, too."

He does doff an invisible cap and take a courtly bow, though without his usual sparkle, going through the motions.

"Am no' so young as aw that, Mam, dinnae let the pretty face trick ye. Served at th'fairest court, I 'ave, an' treated wi' critters strange an' wondrous. I have been an eagle, a stag in a wood, a sword i'the grasp of a hand; I have been a harp and harper both. I--"

He speaks faster and faster, as though the words are tearing themselves out of him; his voice turns hollow, unearthly--distant but not sepulchral. He cuts off, throat working as though it's an effort to keep the rest of a riddle down, and turns away. Æthelflæd, sympathetic for once, lays a long-fingered hand on his back. Thomas brays a bitter laugh, kicking at a rock and sending it skittering away.

"Fergive me. A sage! Let that stick in Æthelflæd's craw."

OOC/mechanics

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svgHP: 30/30 | awareness.svgPer: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

As Thomas speaks, there's a clear indication that Antonia struggles to understand him. Her lips part slightly, her neck cranes to bring her head closer, and her eyes narrow towards him in a thoughtful expression. "I beg your pardon, did Thomas just imply that there is a Fey queen in these lands? One that has taken an interest in him? I have had few -- if any -- interactions with Fey of a certain power, and I would like to keep it that way. They are a tricky sort, it's true. I do not often choose to associate with anyone who has a dubious sense of morality!" She raises a hand, putting the back of it to her forehead as she exhales a dramatic breath. "Alas, we must make a choice. Shall we consult a map and approach all of these issues, but in a order that requires as little travel to-and-fro as possible? Perhaps we will stumble across Svetlana's pretty little ring along the way."

Mechanics

Action 1 -

Action 2 -

Action 3 -

After a morning spent in discussion as to the party's next destination, a decision was eventually reached: the party would travel to Nettles' Crossing to seek out the magic weapon the bandit told them about, then turn west towards the Old Sycamore to meet with the tree's fey occupants themselves.

It takes them most of the day to clear the Narlmarches and return to the open, windswept fields of tall grass that mark the Greenbelt. Verne and Sija work together to find a good spot to set up camp, protected from the strong, chilly winds that herald dark gray clouds laden with unfallen rain.

Sunday, 15 Pharast, 4702 AR

The forest behind them, Sija's wagon is able to make much better time across the gently rolling hills of the Greenbelt, even as a gentle but steady rain begins to fall and continues throughout the day. Not soon after you set out, you come across a rickety old bridge crossing a steep gulley with a wide stream running across it. A quick examination determines that there's simply no way this bridge could support the wagon's weight; it could barely stand up to a single individual's. Forced to find a detour, the party loses several hours' of progress searching for a way to cross without getting stuck in the mud or damaging their vehicle's wheels.

However, the inconvenience may pay future dividends: as they pick their way along the stream's edge, Thomas notices a small cave in the side of the gulley, clearly widened by picks and shovels. A quick investigation reveals a small mine, one which never really had a chance to expand: a skeletal hand, still clutching a rusted pick, reaches out from beneath a collapsed pile of rubble. And next to that hand, glittering despite the decades of dust covering it, is something Lerris recognizes immediately. You've just found a gold mine, almost entirely untapped, and indisputably within the lands promised to you in your contract.

Spirits are high as you continue your travels, making careful note of the mine so you can claim it once the Stag Lord is brought low.

1695085206732.jpg.28fd7220e75c1a61a96fd18699595738.jpgMoonday, 16 Pharast, 4702 AR

The morning brings more chilly, miserable rain, but also another valuable discovery.

Not long after the group begins moving again, they come across a lone old oak tree on a hill, lightning-struck and twisted. It almost looks like a claw reaching for the clouds. Curiosity compelling further investigation, Verne and Shardik discover that the ground around the tree has been recently disturbed, as if something was buried there. A bit of manual labor later, and you find a bundle wrapped in a heavy leather cloak. Inside is a gleaming and oddly-shaped dagger, almost like a wolf's fangs, as well as a delicately etched wand of cherry red wood, a fine silver ring, and an unfortunately water-damaged spellbook once belonging to some unfortunate wizard. Most of the book's pages have been damaged beyond repair, but Zakon is able to determine that the following spells are intact: dispel magic, illusory object, mage armor, shrink, and unseen servant. With a bit of ritual preparation, he should be able to "feed" these to a familiar and gain the ability to cast them. (At least, once he's sufficiently powerful.)

While Sija resumes driving the wagon eastward, the rest of the party has plenty of time to examine the other items. The silver ring is nonmagical and worth about 10 gold; however, the wand is a wand of burning hands, and the dagger is an uncommon item called a fanged dagger that, when gripped between one's teeth, allows its user to transform into a mundane animal reflective of their inner nature.

As the sun is just starting to dip behind the horizon, the party arrives at the banks of the Shrine River. You crossed this river once before, far to the northeast in the town of Nivatka's Crossing, but here, closer to the Tuskwater it feeds into, the river is vast and sluggish, hundreds of yards across and moving with a swiftness that belies its mass. A large branch, fallen from some distant tree, bobs gently past at a clip faster than a man could sprint.

Not far to the south, you find the ruins of a small, stone building: a humble home, destroyed by fire and collapsed in on itself. Just beyond it is a small wooden pier with a single, thick rope stretching from a thick wooden post pounded deep into the earth all the way across the river, almost disappearing into the mists on the other side. There's a matching post, where another rope should hang, but it's clearly been cut and set adrift--along with, most likely, the ferry that used those ropes for guidance.

A simple wooden sign with a rusty bell hanging from it says "Nettles' Crossing--5 coppers--ring bell for service."

There's no sign of life here. And as the sun descends behind you, a cold wind sweeps across the river, carrying icy mists that bite through your warm clothing and send chills down your spines.

spacer.pngVerne Greencloak| HP: 24/24 | AC: 19 | Fort: +5  Ref: +6  Will: +10  Perception: +8 | Hero Points: 2/3 | Spell Slots

Shardik | HP: 26/26 | AC: 19 | Fort: +6  Ref: +6  Will: +5  Perception: +5spacer.png

When they've stopped, and given the area a quick inspection, Verne wanders around the vicinity, looking for signs of any recent activity, or anything dangerous that might be making a den or a camp nearby, that might make it unsafe to spend the night here.

Name
Perception
1d20+8 15

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

Antonia frowns at the sight of the cut rope and shakes her head. "Well, that's quite the bummer. Judge, be sure to write this down: We will need to get this fixed when we establish our new bastion. Our subjects will praise our names to once more have a way across this vast and feisty river." She nods, as if that settles the matter. "But until then, what in the hells are we supposed to do about this? We can't stay here it's..." She turns her nose up and looks around, as if displeased with the upkeep of the area. "...bleak. Surely we do not wish to camp here, do we? Check the map, darlings. There must be another crossing nearby." Her eyes idly follow Verne as he wanders about, searching for gods-know-what. "That's the spirit, Verne. Maybe you'll find a boat hiding behind that bush over there." She chuckles at her own taunting joke and kneels near the river's edge to refill her water skin.

Mechanics

Action 1 -

Action 2 -

Action 3 -

image.png.5bee56e36745271f76b0d86a3c4f8045.png

Zakon Malheur

HP: 20/20 | AC: 14 | Perception: +7
Fort: +4 | Ref: +4 | Will: +9
Hero Points: O | Focus Points: O

Zakon does, indeed, record Antonia's note with unflinching seriousness. At the discussion of looking for another crossing, he gestures at the sign and the bell with his quill. "It appears our instructions are rather explicit. The cost of five copper coins pales in comparison to the risks and delays we might face with an alternate route."

Sija shrugs and does the obvious thing, walking up to the post with the bell and grabbing the clapper to clang it about most cacophonously. Almost loud enough to raise the dead.

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction:

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

The clang of the bell is loud and discordant, breaking the stillness. As the sound fades away, the evening seems quieter than it had just moments before. Almost silent, in fact. The world falls into an eerie stillness.

And then a cold, clammy hand clamps down on Sija's shoulder.

She turns, as does everyone else, to see a dead man standing there. His skin is swollen and saggy, and whatever he once wore, all that's left are a pair of tattered trousers, half rotted away. His long, gray hair hangs about his face in a damp curtain, and dead, white eyes regard Sija from behind it.

"Afraid the ferry's out of service, ma'am," the undead creature croaks, its voice wet and phlegmy. "Hope to have it up soon, though. Once my son finishes reattaching the line. Don't know what's taking him so bloody long."

He removes his hand from Sija's shoulder, leaving a damp handprint behind, and extends the rotten appendage for a shake. "Davik Nettle, ma'am. At your service."

HP: 32/32 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 1/3 | Focus: 1/1

As soon as she finishes jumping out of her skin and gasping in fright, Sija shakes her head and mutters "Should've stabbed that bastard when we had the chance..." Then straightens up and address the walking corpse, "You wouldn't happen to be a 'magic weapon' of some sort, would you?" Figuring there's a chance a friendly undead could be a formidable weapon indeed...

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction:

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)