Act 2, Part 2: Adventures in the Greenbelt

Kavonde

It's difficult to read the dead man's expression, considering most of his face has sloughed away over the apparent months he's been dead, but his body language communicates his confusion well enough. "Why, no, ma'am. I'm a person. I've certainly wielded a few, though!"

Davik pats his water-bloated stomach, the impact causing a bit of unidentifiable ichor to spray out from a gash in its side. "I may not look it these days, but back in my youth, I was quite the adventurer!"

He turns to look at the rest of the group. His movements are slow yet jerky; a sudden movement of his arm splashes Sija in the face with more cold water and some sort of sticky slime. "I'd offer you shelter beneath my roof for the night, but my dear wife's a bit under the weather and wouldn't appreciate the company. Still, you're welcome to make camp here, if you'd like. Would you care for a spot of tea? I can put the kettle on. A hot cup of tea is just the thing on a chilly evening like this."

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

uc?export=download&id=1dRpitT3CcasYF2DNUtVf9NtjWbs0fRXE

Sija Bhatyani - Half-Elf Ranger 2

HP: 32/32 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 1/3 | Focus: 1/1

Perception: +8 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +7 | Will: +6 

Conditions| Resources | Abilities | Skills

Sija tries to control her face, keeping the disgust from it as best she can, though it pales a bit as she wipes whatever splattered her off. She's seen a thing or two. This is just a talking dead ferryman. Seems friendly. No need to lose her head. ,"Yes, tea! I do love a nice kettle of tea. Why don't you let me put on the kettle? I have some leaves from far Vudra, a minty green? It will just be a second." she busies herself, building a small fire and setting her kettle over it.

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction:

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Elf Atavism (Darkvision)

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Sija looks like a typical Vudran woman, often dressing in the more traditional fabric wrap of her homeland and often a headscarf or shawl. She often wears some form of ornamentation or jewelry on hands, ears, neck, and brow. She is older than most, though as a half-elf she wears her six decades with dignity and grace, with few signs of the decrepitude often seen in similarly aged humans. She is tall, and stands with a straight back and good posture. Her arm is strong and well-corded with sinew and muscle, perhaps appearing a touch wiry, and her skin a bit weathered from years outside. Her hair was once a glossy black, though now it is streaked with gray; more with each passing day.

She can often be found with a cudgel, a wicked-looking curved dagger, and a whip hanging from her belt. She wears these, and warm outer clothes or a cloak to protect her from the elements, when she travels. When expecting trouble she throws a bandolier on that's filled with flasks of healing ointments and poultices.

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

Antonia.png.1c894b2d47bceebd582721c66eea058b.pngAntonia Rullianus

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svgHP: 30/30 | awareness.svgPer: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Panache:  | Conditions: None

Antonia's casual stance immediately drops at the appearance of the rotting fellow. Her hand drops to the hilt of her rapier, but she does not quite draw it yet. When it is obvious that the being does not intend to attack them (at least, not immediately) her face contorts into an expression of unabashed disgust. She retrieves a frilled handkerchief from her side pouch and covers the lower half of her face with it, as if the smell of the abomination alone would be enough to infect her. Her words are muffled, but it doesn't keep her from speaking -- few things are capable of that. "What a lovely display of hospitality out here in these...inhospitable lands. You have to tell me what line of skin care products you are using, I'd imagine they may be a bit past their expiration. Speaking of which, might I inquire as to what your spouse has become ill with, exactly?"

Mechanics

Action 1 -

Action 2 -

Action 3 -

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +7 | FP: 2

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +6

"Ye're welcome, suren ye are," Thomas crows at his discovery of the mine. "I've made ye rich; I expect that tae be contribution enough fer the time bein'."

He gives Antonia a wry twist of the mouth.

"There is, an' I'm right sorry tae say it. Yer instincts guide ye well, an' I'll squirm out from beneath 'er gaze soon as I can. There's but one lady o' the Fair Folk I care tae set eyes on now."

There's a broken longing in his voice for a moment, sharp and ragged, and then his melacholy takes him and he speaks no more, not until the dead man lays a hand on Sija. Thomas promptly turns, and bows, and counts out five coppers he holds out. He doesn't seem like a rule-following sort of man, but there are rules, and then there are rules.

"Pleased tae make yuir acquaintance. If yuir son's indisposed, might be we can try an' help ye restore service. But how were it set up in th'first place, like?"

OOC/mechanics

image.png.5bee56e36745271f76b0d86a3c4f8045.png

Zakon Malheur

HP: 20/20 | AC: 14 | Perception: +7
Fort: +4 | Ref: +4 | Will: +9
Hero Points: O | Focus Points: O

Zakon remained mostly silent as his companions summoned and conversed with the animated corpse of Davik Nettle. He inclined his head amiably once it became clear that Davik posed no immediate threat. However, his eyes remained fixed on the undead creature with the intense focus usually reserved for a hunter tracking its prey. Zakon was well-versed in occult magic of the kind that could bind a person to a crossing, even after death. While the Judge appeared cautious, Davik's hospitality and polite demeanor had started to erode his initial misgivings.

After a moment, Zakon broke his silence. "Impressive work," he remarked, his tone a mixture of professional curiosity and acknowledgment.

spacer.pngVerne Greencloak| HP: 24/24 | AC: 19 | Fort: +5  Ref: +6  Will: +10  Perception: +8 | Hero Points: 2/3 | Spell Slots

Shardik | HP: 26/26 | AC: 19 | Fort: +6  Ref: +6  Will: +5  Perception: +5spacer.png

Verne can't hide his disgust, or perhaps he isn't trying to. "I was going to say, no point in ringing that bell, because the ferryman is dead. I didn't realize that this could be the result."

Davik seems delighted at the prospect of Sija's tea (though it's hard to tell, given how slack and rotted his face is). "Oh, that sounds lovely. Mostly the only leaves that grow around here fit for brewing are thyme and fennel. A bit of mint would be quite a nice change of pace."

He turns to Antonia and smiles (she thinks) at her questions. "Oh, no particular products, my dear. Just clean, honest living and a weekly bath. My wife insists on it!" He chuckles, the sound like gurgling sewage over rusty pipes. "Still, no old man is going to turn down a compliment from a beautiful young lady like yourself. And thank you for inquiring after the missus. It's nothing serious, I hope. Just a certain heaviness about the chest. A passing cold, I've no doubt."

When Thomas produces the copper coins asks about restoring the ferry, Davik smiles again (he thinks). "Oh, it's a simple enough system. We've two ropes stretched across the river here. The ferry uses one as a guide it's pulled along, and the other as a stabilizer. The Shrike seems placid enough on the surface, but it can rip the boots right off your feet if you're not careful. Unfortunately, it's the guide rope that snapped, and the ferry itself's likely halfway to the Tuskwater now. My son will have set out with a cart for the nearest safe ford, about a day's walk north of here. Then he'll cross and head south until he finds the ferry--hopefully in one piece. Strong lad that he is, he'll pull it to shore, load it onto the wagon, then pull it back to just across the river there. Then it's a matter of attaching the ferry to the stabilizer rope and pulling it across--slowly, of course, to be safe. Finally, we tie off a new guide rope to that post there, he takes the other end, crosses the river on the ferry again, and secures it on the other side. The process takes about a week, all told. He should be signaling from across the water any day now, I believe. Perhaps even tomorrow morning! I confess, though, I must have lost track of time, as I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly how long he's been gone."

He waves a humble hand at Zakon, clearly assuming the judge was complimenting his work. "Oh, it's a simple enough arrangement. A lot of work, to be sure, but nothing the Technic League would be impressed by."

Finally, he cocks a head quizzically at Verne. "Dead?" he laughs, wetly. "I may be past my sixtieth winter, young man, but Pharasma hasn't claimed me just yet."

Sija hands him a cup of tea and nods, "Now isn't that the truth..." perhaps a bit wryly. "Is there anything we can help with? We were told there was a magic weapon to be found someone near here, but the source was not particularly reliable."

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction:

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Sija looks like a typical Vudran woman, often dressing in the more traditional fabric wrap of her homeland and often a headscarf or shawl. She often wears some form of ornamentation or jewelry on hands, ears, neck, and brow. She is older than most, though as a half-elf she wears her six decades with dignity and grace, with few signs of the decrepitude often seen in similarly aged humans. She is tall, and stands with a straight back and good posture. Her arm is strong and well-corded with sinew and muscle, perhaps appearing a touch wiry, and her skin a bit weathered from years outside. Her hair was once a glossy black, though now it is streaked with gray; more with each passing day.

She can often be found with a cudgel, a wicked-looking curved dagger, and a whip hanging from her belt. She wears these, and warm outer clothes or a cloak to protect her from the elements, when she travels. When expecting trouble she throws a bandolier on that's filled with flasks of healing ointments and poultices.

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

Davik accepts the cup of tea from Sija and sips it with a level of genteel carefulness that's somewhat marred by his lack of lips, the gurgling sound he makes as he drinks it, and the fact that some of it leaks out of a ragged hole in his cheek, mixing with milky white pus and running down his neck to his collarbone. "Ooh, this is delightful!" he exclaims.

He lowers his cup with a small but jerky motion that splashes most of the cup's remaining contents out. "Magic weapon? Oh, you must mean the Holy Smackerel!" He shakes his head ruefully. "I'd be delighted to show her off, but I'm afraid my son took her with him for protection. All kind of nasty sorts about these days, with that rotten... S-Stag... "

He begins to twitch and spasm. The cup drops from his hand, landing in the grass. "S-Stag... "

A change comes over Davik Nettle. Where once a friendly and genial, if very dead, old man stood, there's now something else. There's no physical change. He's still the same rotting corpse he was a moment ago. But his presence somehow becomes larger. Darker. And his voice, when he speaks, loses the gurgling croak it's had until now, replaced by a bone-rattling basso that rumbles the ground like thunder.

"THE STAG LORD."

He turns to the southwest, staring off into the distance at something only he can see. "MURDERER. BUTCHER. MONSTER. I WILL HAVE VENGEANCE. I WILL DROWN HIM IN THE COLD AND UNFORGIVING DEPTHS OF THE SHRIKE. HE WILL PAY. HE WILL SUFFER."

The feeling of unrelenting, overwhelming darkness and hatred continues to build. Davik's fists flench and unclench. His body tenses with fury just waiting to be unleashed.

And then... he's him again. "Oh, terribly sorry. My mind wanders sometimes. You were asking about the Smackerel, yes? As soon as my son returns, I'll be happy to show her to you. Best weapon I ever carried."

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

"What a delightful name for a weapon! Now, you were saying about the Stag Lord? Do you know where his keep is? We've been sent to kill the bastard." She states, very matter-of-factly.

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction:

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +7 | FP: 2

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +8 | Will: +6

"Och, aye. Be pleased as punch tae make sure ye get yer vengeance," Thomas says. Rather than flinching back, he looks at the ferryman with a mixture of pleased shrewdness and respect. He does nudge Sija, though, murmuring quietly to her. "Nae sure his son's comin' back, like, Mam. Fella's sense o'time cain't be tae guid."

He raises his voice again. "Which way'd yer lad get off tae, Master Nettle? Might be we'll go fer a stroll an' stumble across'im, like."

OOC/mechanics

Sija's mention of the Stag Lord makes Davik twitch again, but the unsettling, dark presence doesn't return. He frowns and shakes his head. "No, I'm afraid I don't, my lady. Somewhere to the southwest, near the Tuskwater, I imagine. I try to avoid trouble, you see. My ferry here has always been neutral ground; be you bandit or brave, five copper will get you service. I've spilled more than my fair share of blood in this life, and I've no desire to shed any more." His milky eyes become unfocused as he reflects on some awful moment in his past.

He's shaken out of his reverie by Thomas' question. "North about a day's walk. The Shrike narrows for a small stretch there, where it carved its way through a hill. It's shallow enough to walk across, though I'm not sure your wagon will fit. He'll have crossed there and headed south." His rotten face twists with worry. "Oh my, you don't think something may have happened to him, do you? I can't quite recall how long he's been gone, and... gods, I have a terrible feeling in my gut now." A fat, slimy worm pokes out of his distended stomach and plops, writhing, to the ground. "I'd be terribly grateful if you could have a look. I know it's a bit out of your way if you're looking for the Stag Lord, of course. I... I don't have much of value, but perhaps the Smackerel could be of use to you?"

image.png.5bee56e36745271f76b0d86a3c4f8045.png

Zakon Malheur

HP: 20/20 | AC: 14 | Perception: +7
Fort: +4 | Ref: +4 | Will: +9
Hero Points: O | Focus Points: O

Zakon's hungry eyes subdued over the course of the conversation. "It would not be out of our way, at all, if that is also the closest place where we might cross the river."

• 2 weeks later...

Sija reaches out to pat the man reassuringly on the shoulder, though her hand seems to rebel for a second, flinching away before she wrangles control to make contact. "We will keep an eye out for him. Don't worry. Do you know anything about some kobolds and gremlins in an old tree? Ash? Maple? What was it?" She goes with the others, looking for a private word "Shall we go for the likely long-dead son? Or do we head for the still-living creatures that asked our help? The first can wait forever, but a magic weapon might be of help..."

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction:

Free: 

Exploration Activity: 

Feats

-Monster Hunter

-Battle Medicine

-Natural Medicine

-Herbalist Dedication

--Advanced Alchemy

--Alchemical Crafting

-Twin Takedown

-Gravity Weapon

Appearance

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Breastplate

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Healer's tools

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Club

-Corset Knife

-2x Dandpatta (PC)

-Flyssa

-5x Darts

-Whip

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Climbing Kit

-Rations (2 weeks)

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-4x Flasks Oil

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Crowbar

-Flint and Steel

-Soap

-2x Candles

-2gp 4sp 6cp

Antonia.png.1c894b2d47bceebd582721c66eea058b.pngAntonia Rullianus

Swashbuckler Fencer 2

checked-shield.svgAC: 19 | health-normal.svgHP: 30/30 | awareness.svgPer: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Panache:  | Conditions: None

Throughout the course of the conversation Antonia's expressions are a theatrical play of ever-shifting emotions, made even more dramatic by the dark brows that move energetically with each display. They begin knitted, confused at the undead man's plight. When Nettle barks out a vengeful cry, her eyes widen and she takes a step back. Then, when he returns to normal, her eyes flick to each of her party members, searching their faces for their reactions to the outburst. Finally, the curtain closes with an expression of pitying hopelessness, like a mother indulging her child's most fantastical dreams while knowing quite well their impossibility. "Quite the show, darling. We are ever-so-grateful for your aid and information. I'm quite sure we'd be obliged to look for your son, 'Smackeral' or no. Just give us a moment to talk it over, won't you?"

She steps off to join in on the sidebar started by Sija. "We are already here, aren't we? It is a bit of a detour, that much is true. But it may take even longer to return in the future. The Lizardlings and what-have-you can wait one or two more days, can't they? Of course they can. Let us see this to its end while we are here. Who knows, perhaps helping this poor rotted fellow will help him come to turns with his current...state, and lead to him manning the ferry himself, thus giving us a shortcut across the river that we can use time and time again." She smiles wryly, "Besides, there's clearly something larger going on here. How could you possibly resist seeing how it plays out? I shiver at the thought of it!"

Mechanics

Action 1 -

Action 2 -

Action 3 -