The Sonderbar

Gris

There is no bouncer at this small bar in the Untere Straße, which has a reputation for inclusiveness and a wide selection of hard alcohol like schnaps, vodka, and especially absynthe. Inside it is abolutely crowded with people. Even if you yell like everyone else, no one from another table is going to understand a word: There are vanilla students in various stages of inebriation, half a dozen dreadlocked anarcho types, two female Asian tourists and two old men that reek and look absolutely filthy. Behind the counter, you spot a fossilized bartender. The oddest pair have managed to keep a table all to themselves: He could be a male model wearing a colorful pink suit and she looks like she has been on meth for ages.

ooc: I want to use pictures I have no licence for, which means I link them rather than save them on the site. Sorry for the inconvenience.

spacer.pngDavid Macleod

David arrives at the Sonderbar around 10pm and settles at the bar with the fossilized bartender ordering a gin tonic. After shooting his first drink, he eavesdrops on everyone's conversations, as much as possible over the loud music, while steadily drinking.

When they arrive at the bar, he buys the girls, vanilla students and Asian tourists, a round of drinks for a few minutes of conversation. While he fluently speaks German, his Scottish accent comes out if the tourists speak English. It's clear to them that he's not fishing for anything more for the evening, but he files away their names and where he could find them later.

By 11pm, he has his third gin tonic in hand. While he suspects the odd couple at the table, he watches for a signal to gather from everyone in the bar.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Lily

320px-Fernand_Khnopff_-_I_lock_my_door_upon_myself.jpeg

Lily arrives precisely at eleven o'clock; if church bells are audible in the neighborhood she somehow manages to enter at the very moment they chime. She heads straight for the bar, wincing a little at the loudness of the music, and despite the warm weather, she orders a hot toddy, if the ancient remembers how to make one.

As she waits for her drink, she looks around quizzically.

f668879c330cfb61243ca825a99529e5.jpg

At 10:45pm Anja shuffled slowly into the bar a large bag under her arm. After demanding a beer from the bar, she hunted for a free table but seeing how packed the bar was she had to settle for perching on a corner of one that wasn't completely filled. With a look of disgust at the students surrounding her Anja pulled out a book, pretended to sip her beer and hoped that her shear unapproachability would shelter her from having to interact before the 11 pm meeting.

IC Post

Kevin KemmlerProfile.JPG.607789dace2553c76579b930c889084c.JPG

It was practically never like Kevin to show up on time, for anything, but today he found himself checking his phone's time a lot more often than usual. Never one to care for the boundaries of polite driving, or even quick one, he'd only managed to slow down at the last second by realising that being stopped would make him be late, and late might mean... late.

Discarding the full biker suit for a vest, gloves and pads in the end of summer, not that he sweat anymore, but out of pure habit, the man unkindly pushes past a couple of students taking a selfie. Despite his determined mood, he can't help but smile approvingly at the bartender's vibe as his elbows make space near the bar. Throwing the horns, he points two fingers at a bottle of cheap vodka behind the bar, and turns around on the stool to see the crowds. Hippies and locals, apparently. His glance remains for a moment longer than appropriate at the tourists, and at the returned glance he raises his drink at them with a wink and sinks half of it down. The heat flickering for only but a moment, disappearing into the cold gullet with the rumbling reminder of a later reappearance.

Reaching into his pocket to check the time - coming close to 11. Seeing no sign of a Prince, Kevin pauses - before pondering, for the first time - what would a Prince even look like?

Emil Fischer

image.jpeg.9afb4351e06a1b033218fe0131373243.jpegFor his introduction to Heidelberg's new Kindred community, Emil is wearing a tight-fitting Gucci t-shirt, a cashmere knit cardigan by Neiman Marcus, pleated Brunello Cucinelli trousers, and JM Weston loafers. His glasses are by Versace. Though undeniably luxurious to the trained eye, the outfit gives him a somewhat professorial look. 

He walks into the Sonderbar a few minutes before 11 pm. He scans the bar's eclectic assembly. A handful do stand out, despite the diversity of the crowd: The odd couple and the biker, first and foremost. If anyone meets his gaze, he flashes them a smile and a curt nod, before looking away.

Emil makes his way to the bar and orders a Vodka tonic. As he waits for his drink, he leans towards the biker. "Excuse me. I'm new to the city and have been invited to meet fellow new arrivals. Would you happen to be here for the same purpose?"

spacer.png
Health Nominal Willpower ●●● Blood ●●●●● Path Merits / Flaws
spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngArriving at 10:47, Chloe and an older woman with blonde hair walked through the doors to Sonderbar without any pomp or circumstance. The woman was rather plain, with next to no makeup worn, her hair pulled back into a simple braid, and her attire very conservative. She only wore very small post earrings of gold flower blooms.

The girl was a stark contrast to her guardian. Her hair was pulled into two pigtails and tied with black velvet ribbons. A matching choker was around her neck. Chloe--appearing to be a nine-year-old girl--still didn't have her ears pierced. She wore a sleeveless crimson-red dress with black trim, black stockings, and Mary-Jane style shoes with cute leather bows on the rounded toes. Clutched with both arms to her chest was a very worn pink teddy bear.

As the pair entered the bar, Chloe was assaulted by the noise. She immediately cringed and made frantic movements to take out earplugs from a pocket on her dress and shoved them into her ears. As they slowly drowned out the noise, Chloe held the bear against one ear and her hand against the other. There she stood for a full minute until the foam conformed to her ear. The woman merely waited nearby, dispassionately, more concerned with strangers than her "daughter".

Shifting the bear into a single-arm hold, Chloe grabbed the woman's wrist with her free hand. "Come along, Chloe," she spoke in English with an even tone. The two walked through the crowd, Chloe avoiding eye contact as the woman found a space at the bar where one stool was free. She helped the girl up onto the stool and asked, "Are you hungry? Should we order something?" Chloe began wiggling her knees back and forth quickly, eyes still focused ahead.

Chloe took a moment to ponder and try to get used to the crowded environment. An elbow knocked into her causing her to shrink away. Finally she nodded a few times. The woman put in an order for a plain cheeseburger and fries with no salt, then whatever chicken item was on the menu for herself. Chloe started pushing out wrinkles in her dress and brushing away unseen things from her arms.

OOC

Not sure what kind of bar food is available in Germany, so I went with something that seems like standard fair here in America.

Most of you do not raise immediate notice, but the girl raises a few eyebrows. But this being the Sonderbar, nobody comments on the mother's lack of pedagogical judgment.

The bartender shakes his head when she tries to order food.

"This isn't a McDonald's," he says, "I may have a few peanuts, though."

Edited by Gris (see edit history)

spacer.pngDavid Macleod

David continues chatting with the Taiwanese tourists, asking about their studies. Who do they know in town? Where are they staying, so they could continue to party? Not interrogation. Simply getting them to discuss their favorite subject, themselves. He keeps their drinks full.

Meanwhile in his peripheral vision, he watches the arrivals near 11pm: the biker, the male and female gentry, professor, and child. The nobles effectively announced their kindred presence. The Scot wonders about the others. He also absorbs the rest of bar for their reaction to the arrivals, especially the child.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

spacer.png
Health Nominal Willpower ●●● Blood ●●●●● Path Merits / Flaws
spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png"Oh, terribly sorry," the mother spoke, this time in German. "My daughter has been in America for a long time," she explained, but didn't elaborate.

Chloe looked at her mother with pleading eyes, prompting the woman to add, "If you find the peanuts, she'll have some. And I'll take a..." She trailed off looking at the bar, then down to Chloe. The girl pointed at a bottle of absinth because it was a pretty green. She didn't know anything about the possible hallucinations.

"A shot of absinth and a tonic chaser, if you please."

Chloe's legs continued to bounce as she stimmed mindlessly. She set her bear on the edge of the bar like it was sitting and enjoying a nice drink of its own. Slowly, Chloe began to look around the bar. She took in the ancient man behind the bar looking for peanuts, the odd couple sitting alone, the hordes of students, the biker, the well-dressed man, and the woman faking drinking. Almost no details escaped her sharp perception. It was both a gift and a curse.

Looking back down, Chloe set her bear in her lap, then covered her ears with her hands tightly. Then she started to look around the room, specifically at lips in mid-conversation.

Lily

320px-Fernand_Khnopff_-_I_lock_my_door_upon_myself.jpeg

Lily's drink arrives; she thanks the bartender but declines to open a tab. She doesn't raise the steaming glass to her mouth, but wraps her hands around it as if enjoying the heat. After a few minutes, if nothing occurs, she puts the drink down for a moment and pulls a slim novella out of her handbag.

9781479408597: The Tomb of Sarah: A Classic Vampire Story

She holds the book in front of her at such an angle that the cover is quite visible, and begins reading, while her other hand holds her drink, occasionally lifting it close to her face to inhale the pleasant scent.

IC Post

Kevin KemmlerProfile.JPG.607789dace2553c76579b930c889084c.JPG

Now this, this looked like more what the Kindred were supposed to be. A quick, almost too quick turn of the head, Kevin gives the newcomer a look - a suit, with sunglasses. Fancy looking, too.

"Too right. Colourful crowd, but I suppose it helps." , he replies in a voice easily loud enough to be heard. Extending a hand for a clasp, not a shake, he says, "Kev." His accent is thick and eastern, the words coming out slow. "Thought it was glitzier than this, that." Whether he means the town, the Kindred or the meeting, it's impossible to tell. "The town hasn't been too bad yet. Lots of money, this place." he notes approvingly, before moving his own barstool a little to the left. Bumping into someone in red as he does so, he either doesn't notice or doesn't care as he frees up a little more space for the new arrival, and tapping the bar with a meaty hand, still wearing a sleeveless biking glove.

Emil Fischer

image.jpeg.9afb4351e06a1b033218fe0131373243.jpegEmil smiles and clasps the biker's hand firmly and briefly. "Pleased to meet you, Kevin," he answers warmly. "I'm Emil, of the Artistes." He takes his drink from the bartender, handing him a few euros in return, before taking a seat on the stool next to his new acquaintance.

Emil pretends to take a sip and scans the room while listening to Kevin's thoughts on their new city of residence. If his eyes meets anyone else's, he smiles and nods to show he's open to being approached.

His sweep finished, he turns back to his companion. "Heidelberg does seem to be rather well-to-do. Lots of opportunities for growth." He eyes Kevin appraisingly. "If it's not indiscreet, what business are you you in?"