The Sonderbar

Gris

f668879c330cfb61243ca825a99529e5.jpg

Why is it these meetings always happen in such loud bars I can barely think let alone read.

With a sigh she put the book away and looked at the crowd around her taking a moment to pick out those she thought likely to be kindred, the man in the suit talking to the biker, and the child were all likely candidates but not entirely appealing to her. It was then that she saw the woman reading at the bar, Reading a vampire novel, they can't be that obvious surely.

Coming to a decision Anja got up from her seat and walked over to the bar "How are you finding the book? I'm new to Heidelberg and I'd been invited to meet some other new arrivals did you receive a similar invite?"

IC Post

Kevin KemmlerProfile.JPG.607789dace2553c76579b930c889084c.JPG

The Artistes, whatever that meant, doesn't ring much of a bell in Kevin's head, but what little he was explained about the Kindred society suggested that it was probably a Clan. Bloodline, group, faction, brotherhood - he notes that he has little in that field, but associations - those he came here for.

"Artiste, huh. And here I was guessing you're a manager." The tone is neutral, one that doesn't reveal a deep understanding, nor a deep care for the intricacies. "I dabble. Hrm, how would you say it - asset acquisition, transportation, pharma, some security here and there." he adds with the poor attempt at subterfuge clearly pushing the meager limits his ability to be vague. "Growth will happen, but I heard it's a." he pauses, rubbing his beard, "cutthroat market? It'd be good to make some acquaintances. High and low. Met anyone else yet?"

Lily

320px-Fernand_Khnopff_-_I_lock_my_door_upon_myself.jpeg

"Peculiar. This story was written about twenty years before M.R. James' excellent tale "An Episode of Cathedral History", and must have served as an inspiration, but the latter feels more original and eerie. Perhaps because Mr. James leaves the identity of the creature as an enigma for the reader to ponder, while Loring spells it out and throws in a number of cliches borrowed from Stoker...ah, yes, I'm new as well. And you are correct, I did receive an invite stating this is the place and time. I'm Lily Milliner, pleased to make your acquaintance." Lily nods at Anja, setting the thin novella aside.

f668879c330cfb61243ca825a99529e5.jpg

"Ah a mystery is always more haunting than reality, though to be fair the reality is normally more dangerous" She holds out an icy hand "Anja Klein is that an American accent I hear, you've come a long way. Why? surely there was room for you over there. There was no real emotion or force behind Anja's words just that famed Berlin bluntness coming to the fore.

Lily

320px-Fernand_Khnopff_-_I_lock_my_door_upon_myself.jpeg

"It's ironic that - despite the verse extolling America as the "blessed land of room enough" - no, no there was not," Lily replies. "My family have a near-total monopoly in my area of academic interest - wealthy patrons and all that, you know how it is - and most research opportunities are tightly controlled. So when a shot at fieldwork in a new area opened up, naturally I jumped at the chance of obtaining a residency. I'm sure you understand how rarely such opportunities come along for young scholars."

Emil Fischer

image.jpeg.9afb4351e06a1b033218fe0131373243.jpegEmil chuckles at Kevin's manager comment. "I suppose I could have made a good candidate for them as well."

His eyebrow twitches when Kevin hints at his field. Interesting. Emil shakes his head at the last question. "No, you're my first acquaintance. Which reminds me, we should probably mingle a bit more." He stands from his stool, then fishes a small metal case out of his pocket and pops it open, retrieving a business card. He hands it to Kevin. "Give me a call so I have your number. A lot of artists work long hours and sometimes have a need for pharmaceuticals. We may have mutual interests to explore. I'm going to try and find some of the other guests, you're welcome to join me if you'd like."

Emil looks around to find other potential Kindred. The two asocial bookworms had found each other. If they had planned to meet, surely they wouldn't have spent so long apart? They could be fellow guests. A woman sitting at the bar had brought her daughter in with her. An unusual choice. A Kindred and her ghoul or just an irresponsible parent? Given the coincidence, the former seemed more likely. A man was chatting up some tourists, perhaps looking for connections, but he could also just be a kine trying to find a companion for the night. Finally, there was the odd couple at a table. They were the most obvious candidates, so Emil makes his way through the crowd towards them.

As he approaches the table, he nods to the pink-suited man and the older woman. "Good evening. I was invited for a small networking event and am trying to find the other guests. Would you happen to be here for the same purpose?"

It is the man that replies first.

"Let's get this shit over with. Shouldn't have mouthed up to the Prince. I want to be out of here as soon as possible. You are here to meet... ."

He points his finger at everyone who likes the taste of liquid iron on their tongue.

"Do you think we can leave now?", he asks the woman next to him.

"So you are over 15? Shitting your pantsies? Prince must really hate you?", her grin is as bad as her looks and the smell isn't really attractive either. "I have dressed up for the event and want to enjoy my new face tonight. Not my best work, but hey..."

Edited by Gris (see edit history)

Emil Fischer

image.jpeg.9afb4351e06a1b033218fe0131373243.jpegEmil bristles slightly at the man's rudeness, but it wasn't anything he wasn't used to. He makes a note of the people he points to: the child, the flirting Scot, the two bookworms.

Emil then turns his attention to the woman and smiles. "I think you did a commendable job. Unless you two are joined at the hip, I see no reason why the gentleman needs to stay. I'd be delighted to keep you company in his stead. After all, I am now a local, and I would be bereft in my responsibilities if I did not show hospitality to the representatives of our neighbors."

He offers his hand to the woman. "I'm Emil, though I suspect you know this already. Would you care to join me as I make my introductions to the others?"

spacer.pngDavid Macleod

Watching the bar beyond the Taiwanese tourists, he sees the lordling talk to the biker, and the lady talk to the professor, adding to his belief in their kindred. Then, when the lordling provokes the pink-suited fellow to point out his suspects and himself, he realizes that the meet may be starting. Only the host would be able to identify him.

He asks the students if he can meet up with them later in their hotel for an after party. He offers to bring more to drink and a night to remember.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

IC Post

Shrugging as the one who introduced himself as Emil leaves to 'mingle', Kevin takes another, real drink from the vodka. It is acrid, burning his throat with the reminder that it will leave the very same way in a while. He's just about to stand up, but as he turns around, he notices the woman to his right, the one in red.

Not one to guess too much, he looks at the woman, the child and the bear. A familiar sight to him, too well. That said, the mother didn't seem too distraught, and the girl appeared to have shoes without holes. Not too much time outside, though, he notes the child's pale hale.

"What's with the little one?", Kevin asks the woman in red in a direct tone, giving the bear a look-over. Now that was an ancient bear. "Loud for her here, isn't it?", the tone, while not directly accusatory, suggests a clear disapproval. He doesn't make it past reason number one on his list of potential reasons, before adding with a slightly more understanding tone, "Troubles at home?"

spacer.png
Health Nominal Willpower ●●● Blood ●●●●● Path Merits / Flaws
spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe older woman turned to look at the biker, regarding him with as much apathy as everything else in the bar. "She is my daughter, why shouldn't I be with her?" she replied, cryptically.

Chloe took note of the man walking up to them, the way his eyes pawed over her objects like she was just a thing. She pulled the bear closer, wrapping an arm tightly around it. Without much in the way of proper manners, she craned her neck to look up at him as he spoke to her mother. She stared directly at him with perhaps too much intensity, forgetting to blink.

The girl pointed at her ears, indicating the visible earplugs, while continuing to stare. Finally, she blinked.

"No trouble, we--" the woman began to explain, but Chloe grabbed her mother's arm and squeezed. Immediately the woman stopped talking and looked down at the girl.

"We're here for a meeting," Chloe said in English, speaking for the first time since arriving. It was an American accent. "It's very important," she added. When the man tried to make eye contact, Chloe would avert her eyes, instead searching his exposed skin and finding it quite pale. "I think that's why you're here, too. And them," she said, pointing at the ones the man in pink had pointed at. She returned to staring at not-quite-his-eyes.

Pink Suit hurries away after pointing out the kindred, leaving the talk to Methface. When she feels her audience has gathered, she yells:

"On behalf of Ludwigshafen, and, I guess, Mannheim, I am here to welcome you to Heidelberg. I trust you've heard the rumors. Take the age limit seriously. Other than that, we do not want this to become a Sabbat holding, obviously. And we would frown on breaches of the Masquerade. You figure out who leads and who follows - self-government and unlimited freedom."

There is pity in her crooked-toothed laugh/hacking cough.

"I am Elsa, your liaison. You think anything happening here is relevant to Ludgwigshafen, send me an email. Not your babysitter though."

She has little cards with a freemail address on them.

"Questions?"

spacer.pngDavid Macleod

After making plans with the Taiwanese tourists, David gathers with the other identified kindred around Methface letting the pink suit escape. He listens to her trying to read anything into her non-verbal. Evidently, she represents Ludgwigshafen.

He takes a contact card and offers the first question, "what happened to the kindred that were here?" It was a big question which could have had even more questions, but he just leaves it hanging there.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

IC Post

A more perceptive person might've picked up on the particular phrasing about who's accompanying who. "It's late for kids be up, and it's clearly loud for her. Unless here's safer th-", he begins replying before the child's answers stops him in English. Pausing for a moment as he picks up what's being said, his eyebrows shoot up for a moment, as realisation takes place. Eyes open wide, he gives another, longer look at the child and the mother, before closing his mouth with a stormy glare. "So it is." There's little time to ponder, however, as the two odder oddballs seem to be drawing the attention of the few paler individuals in the room.

Age limit on vampirism wasn't something Kevin gets, but the second - unlimited freedom. That sounded good. Not becoming a Sabbat thing - what was the Sabbat again? A memory from a similar word from his schooldays sneaks in and disappears a moment later, before a much fresher one comes in - some vampire cannibals that took pride in being vampires? Or cannibals? The Caramella, no, Camarilla, was them, the ones working in the shadows. The Masquerade. Worked well as an idea - Kevin had never had the pleasure of meeting them, but the idea of a GSG-9 strike twam, or worse, if the government knew of vampires, was something he was very keen to avoid.

In German, he replies, "Leads and follows? I imagined this to be a case of us giving each other a hand if they are about to hang us to dry. Do we have higher goals than cash, connections and a stiff drink?" The tone is reserved, and slightly cynical - as if someone has given him something for free and is about to start a pitch.