Out-of-Character Chat

TheFred

18 hours ago, TheFred said:

You might have to bear with me, I used to do maps on ditzie (RIP ditzie) but recently I've basically just been drawing them myself and uploading. Not sure if I'll get to it tonight and I'm out with work tomorrow so you might have to hang in there.

No worries. I'll just put my initiative here and then post once the map is up.

Name
Initiative
1d20+6 4

Yep it's you guys to act but I appreciate it's harder without a map. There's a first pass at one - there would probably be more trees realistically and I'm not sure I've quite captured what I had in my imagination but it's probably close enough.

Shenoah can finally join in here - I put her on the map but she can be anywhere nearby, really.

I have updated my post with my actions. Starting things out with a Bane spell to wreck their day and make their lives a little harder and then she ran for cover.

Note: drawing a weapon is a move action rather than a swift action, but with a BAB of +1 or higher (which everyone here has), you can also do it as part of a move.

The trees are represented as green blobs but actually the trunks are much smaller. They don't obstruct movement. I literally only today learned what the rules for trees are: if you're in the same space as a tree, you get partial cover - a +2 AC and +1 Reflex (see here - though this actually dates back to the 3.5 DMG). However, I think the tree in your space doesn't grant anyone else any benefits.

This also reminds me that I haven't put any undergrowth on the map. Probably a lot of that bottom left is undergrowth, but let's say not so far out as Jen wants to be. Also the hillside is undergrowthy, as well as being a steep slope - the rest of the crew might be able to climb down but it's not an easy descent.

On 3/10/2024 at 7:56 PM, TheFred said:

This also reminds me that I haven't put any undergrowth on the map. Probably a lot of that bottom left is undergrowth, but let's say not so far out as Jen wants to be. Also the hillside is undergrowthy, as well as being a steep slope - the rest of the crew might be able to climb down but it's not an easy descent.

It depends on the trees and animals. Evergreens tend to have very little undergrowth as do older foredts as they block out light. Younger growths can have thick undergrowth. If there is a large deer population then they'll clear undergrowth and anything green to about five feet up.

Should we assume its all difficult terrain?

On 3/12/2024 at 7:07 AM, hoverfrog said:

Should we assume its all difficult terrain?

No, not all of it, but I should have marked some of it maybe. Anyway, the slope is definitely difficult to get up or down, that's not just difficult terrain, you would probably need a Climb check or something.

OK, so, er, I think I might just have killed Jen...

She gets +2 cover from the trees, apparently, but the confirmation role was +16 vs what's then a 15 touch AC, I believe. Happy to be wrong, though!

This actually reminds me of the very first time I played Kingmaker, where I played a Spellslinger|Slayer or something (it was gestalt) - that was the inspiration for Kingmaker-as-a-Western actually - and the guy died to an unlucky axe crit from Kressle in the very first fight. 😕

Since this is our very first combat and we're still figuring out these characters I'm happy to grant a mulligan and say that Jen is alive and just dying. I'm not sure if anyone is getting to her to give any first aid any time soon, though...

Nope, you killed her. You did enough damage in 1 shot that not only did you take her below 0 HP, you passed the -10 HP threshold as well.

Congratulations. This is the first time in my long career doing RPG’s I’ve had a character killed outright…Yeah. Well, I guess her backstory wasn’t all that important after all.

Good luck, everyone.