About the Campaign

Blue Firebird

This game of Pathfinder Second Edition takes place in a quiet corner of the world. It is an immersive game beginning in a small fishing town that lies in the shadow of fallen kingdoms. Ruins and remains litter the fields to the north. Dangerous things inhabit the vast forest to the south. West, along the river, lie trackways steadily falling into disrepair, threatened by bandits and worse things. Eastward, the countryside steadily marches past field and forest to meet the mountains, which form an impassable barrier to the experience of most in Sunrise. Beyond the mountain-wall lie lands where rumors and myth are just as "real" as the truth itself...at least, to the people in this one little town.

What exists outside the immediate area is yours to discover. The remnants of half-forgotten legends lie within dungeons, cairns, veiled woods, and stranger places. The opportunity for challenge and reward beyond measure awaits in the wilds. Danger also lurks in the monster-haunted ruins. Heroes must rise to face it.

Theme: Legacies of Magic

Rising from humble beginnings to become an epic adventure with the very balance of the world at stake, this story centers on legacy. Sunrise sits within the remnants of two ancient kingdoms that collapsed more than a thousand years ago. Life is quiet, but mysteries lie slumbering in the green hills and the haunted forests, awaiting the turning of the cycle to rise again. Your characters are part of that cycle, and unknown to them, bear the legacies of wars fought and lives lived an age or more ago.

Perhaps now is the time for one cycle to end and another to begin. In the shadow of what was lost an age ago, now the sunrise illuminates...

Legacies of a Lost Era

This game of Pathfinder Second Edition begins in small fishing town in a quiet corner of the world. Many ruins and remains litter the fields to the north. Dangerous things inhabit the vast forest to the south. West, along the river, lie trackways steadily falling into disrepair, threatened by bandits and worse things. Eastward, the countryside steadily marches past field and forest to meet the mountains, which form an impassable barrier to the experience of most in Sunrise. Beyond the mountain-wall lie lands where rumors and myth are just as "real" as the truth itself...at least, to the people in this one little town.

Legacies of a Lost Era is an immersive game inspired by such stories as Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Breath of the Wild, and The Lord of the Rings. The story will grow to encompass the whole region and, perhaps, the world, as brave heroes face terrible villains and grave dangers. Here there is heart and soul, as the stories of these people unfold amid an expanse of magic and ruin. This heavily narrative-driven game will embrace milestone leveling, noncombat options, and character dynamics above all as we weave a grand story for the ages.

The remnants of half-forgotten legends lie within dungeons, cairns, veiled woods, and stranger places. The opportunity for challenge and reward beyond measure awaits in the wilds. Danger also lurks in the monster-haunted ruins as ancient legacies of light and darkness reawaken. Heroes must rise to face it.

You are those heroes.

About the GM

I'm Claire, or Jessica, but never "C.J.!" (Okay, sometimes that!) I've been roleplay gaming since I was about 7 years old, which was a little over three decades ago now. It's been one of my favorite hobbies ever since, and I have always enjoyed it for its unique strengths. I also read The Lord of the Rings very young, and it inspired my love of fantasy ever since. While I've played many different editions and styles of D&D, right now Pathfinder 2E is my favorite iteration of the ruleset, and I have been inspired to do some kind of epic, sprawling campaign.

About this Game

This is a nod to those grand adventures: big, sprawling stories with bigtime heroes and villains and epic stakes. This game will have quite a bit of exploration and noncombat encounters, and lots of immersion in magic-rich events. My goal is to bring a fantasy world to life. Through the liberal use of Victory Points/skill challenges-like systems, noncombat skill rolls, and lots of opportunities to express your characters' ability through action and intrigue, you'll get to be part of a group of big damn heroes. Plus, I like to give out rewards like candy!

If you imagine this one like your favorite Final Fantasy games, Legend of Zelda, The Lord of the Rings, etc., you have a good idea of the thing we're going for here. From humble beginnings, our characters will rise to world-shaking prominence as they fight a grave evil for the sake of the future.

Here are a few of my favorite sources of inspiration and why they will be good.

Video Games

• Final Fantasy: Especially FF7, for its incredible character dynamics, rich, heartfelt and emotional story, and a sense of fighting for the fate of the world. That latter part will come later in our campaign, but the game is a big part of my inspiration.

• Breath of the Wild: The somber, yet ultimately hopeful tone of this game and its expansive vistas set amid the ruins of a bygone age are a huge inspiration. Exploration is an important part of the fun here.

• Chrono Trigger: Epic heroes and villains, tremendous journeys, and adventures that cross all of time as certain actions touch different eras—this game is amazing and is a big part of what I'm going for in this game.

Books

• The Lord of the Rings: What other story holds so much weight of history and meaning? If you want a good example of how to bring a setting to life and make it feel truly lived-in, Middle-earth stands above all others.

Game Expectations

The million-GP question is: why should I apply? What am I looking for, too? Well, here are some good reasons.

Investment

I want players willing to invest in a setting, including characters, histories, events, etc. If you have specific NPCs you'd like to see in the game, tell me! Or if you like some of the ones I'm presenting and want to explore them further, we can do that! Mostly, this is not a dungeon crawl. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but this is a more immersive game. We're bringing a setting to life, including these characters. That means what you add to it will help shape the world we all get to play in.

What will it take for you to feel like part of a living, breathing fantasy world? What kinds of stories do you want to tell? Let's find out together!

Epic Scope

This game is for the people who want to "go big or go home." We start with Ancestry Paragon and Free Archetype houserules, so you get more widgets to play with. Plus we're using milestone leveling, so we aren't limited to combat quotas to make levels. As a result, you may be fresher during fights more often than in standard games, so some battles might be a bit crazier. However, you are playing Big Damn Heroes and so you'll get cool opportunities for mythic feats worthy of the mighty heroes of yore!

Roleplaying Chemistry

We are all a bunch of great players and we have some great chemistry. That helps to make memorable stories. What's more fun than writing with partners when it just clicks? Writing with partners and rolling dice! We might even develop lasting ties this way, so that the group of us all go on lots of merry adventures together.

Now who can resist that?