Lounging at the Dragon & Flagon (OOC Conversation)

Anthr4xus

what timeline do you have in mind for getting this rolling? I am interested but not sure how much commitment I have to existing games right now.

e: also from the peanut gallery I'd suggest running an ad for this on OGMW as well

Edited by matt_s (see edit history)

yeah, i probably should put an ad on the old site.  I was just seeing what kind of draw it had with only Baldr users.

Don't have a fixed timeline as I was waiting to see what interest there is.  If I don't get characters in the next few weeks I will likely close it down.  The last KOB game I tried to run never really took off.

I know it's not my place to say anything on this, but I concur that an ad in Myth-Weavers proper may see at least some more interest. I guess I'll try to write up a quick character bio to see how the system works. I'm sort of confused that the players can be from any of the different age groups (under/upper classmen and faculty), since it seems like that wouldn't make a necessarily cohesive group, but this system might be a bit more freeform than I'm used to.

Just thought I'd stop in and see what's going on, is all.

Edited by Kirjath (see edit history)

The intention of the system is that the school and surrounding world is basically built by the group as they create their characters.  The only major mechanical difference between under & upperclassmen and faculty are that the older ones have an additional bonus for one particular type of magic and can generally be played as more experienced and knowledgable about the world

Working on a character now, this looks like fun.  I picked up the book a while ago and it's been just floating around in my harddrive's "interesting but not sure I'll ever get to play it" folder.  lol  Out of curiosity what class/subject do you think illusions and other such magic that are talked about in the book as being things that Charm is good for?  Enchantment perhaps?  

Edit: So I started jotting down some notes to myself on how I was arranging my character's schedule so I wouldn't accidently have my character double booked, then start adding in some notes on what other's had put down to avoid anything weird like taking Alchemy at the same time the upperclassmen have advanced alchemy, and next thing I knew I had everyone's schedules written down.  Figured I'd just share it in case it might make things easier for anyone else.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j2cLOJB7WyBu39UAfEZapY18VWcA3_khDj8IJs2sFQE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Summer Silver (see edit history)

I've updated the Proposed Class list based on Summer's consolidation work.  I think we can basically fold the request for Advanced Magical Flora and Fauna, Study/Care on Misunderstood Magical Creatures and Herbology in a two classes - general Magical Herbology and Magical Creatures.  Would that cause Ingwe or Laila want to reschedule any of that?

herbology/magical creatures is pretty much what I had in mind for the class I had down, so it will work nicely. I think we should converge to a few classes with most (all?) of the PCs in them, currently magical history has 4, alchemy, defensive magic, and astronomy have 3, and there's a scattering with two. Magical history can be neat but I'd rather have at least one additional overtly supernatural/magical focused class with all the PCs to have drama and such in.

To be fair some of the classes that the older and younger students are taking at different time (and at different levels in theory) could be an opportunity for tutoring.  Could some of the upperclassman also be in leadership positions like TA's in the younger classes or Prefects?  Would give more reasons for interactions. 

sure, I see it as a few possible approaches

1. Classes have different levels e.g. Ingwe works on different potions than the underclassmen

2. The higher grades help "TA" the younger students (for Ingwe, this makes the most sense for alchemy and magical creatures/plants)

3. The higher grades flunked the intro class repeatedly and are therefore stuck with the young'uns

I like the idea of the upperclassmen working as a TA for the lower classes while also using the time to do their own advanced course work.  The concept of a repeat failure retaking intro courses are is fun as well.  

Added an Ad on the old MW site.  Currently we have 5 character submissions.  I had originally mentioned a 3-6 character group, although if everyone is comfortable with it, I do not have a problem expanding that number.  I can handle running wholly independent threads for up to a dozen characters based on my MW Mage game, and these will naturally come together for the classes and clubs, so I can deal with the increased player base (assuming we get more applications of course) if everyone else is comfortable with it.  Otherwise we can plan to move forward with this group and potentially one additional.