Lounging at the Dragon & Flagon (OOC Conversation)

Anthr4xus

27 minutes ago, Phntm888 said:

Hello! I saw the ad on the OGMW site, and I came over to check it out. I've never played the system, but it looks interesting. I'll see about working out a character.

Sounds good.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Looks fun, but you also look pretty full.  You are still looking for people?  I had tried a to join a kids on brooms game before, but it died before birth, so I am at least a little familiar with the rules, but have not played it before.

A couple of the strength's are a bit paraphrased from the book.  In the book it specifies that Skilled at... is meant to be a specific skill with gm discretion.  Although it gives no examples the way that is phrased makes me think it is meant to be much more narrow then the Trained/Studied/Master line which are meant to apply to a whole magic type.  That's how it all reads to me anyways.  

I can see that reasoning. I was still applying "Skilled at..." to a whole magic type as to my understanding it was demonstrating a strong natural inclination/affinity for one type of magic, while the Trained/Studied/Master line is available to everyone.  

Maybe there should be some kind of prerequisite of a certain (probably d10+) base die size in the related magic type to take "Skilled at...", although I like the idea of a student that is mechanically weak in that skill but occasionally generates huge results, kind of like a Wild Magic Surge?

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)

Yeah, I see that the book says Skilled At... has you choose a skill, while Trained In... has a type of magic.

Since Skilled At... gives +3, and makes routine use automatic, if it can be used on magical skills, it would be slightly better than Studied In..., which also gives +3 but without the automatic success, and costs two Strengths.  So, slightly better, at half the cost.

And since a Faculty member may only have Studied In..., as that is the default, that may mean a first year student could potentially do magic better than their teachers.  I can see the reasoning that they mean a specific skill, like Research, or Mechanic, or Acrobatics, rather than a whole type of magic.

The rules don't do a good job of giving an example of what they mean.

Heh.  I'm willing to go with whatever ruling you want, though, since it sounds like you are being generous.  🙂

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)

Can it be a magic skill?  Like, Illusions, or Potions, or Transfiguration? 

My initial guess is no, since that's still really powerful, but I figure I should ask.  On the other hand, this system is basically Kids with Bikes, except with magic, and having a skill like Mechanics or Lockpicking or, I don't know, Karate would be really powerful in a game without magic.

I would be totally fine for it to be a magic skill. I think is is a reversal of my comment on someone's character sheet.  The power of it really depends on how easily you can shoehorn that skill into whatever you are doing.