Act 3: Ashes of Power

TheRealSife

• 2 weeks later...

l1z1x.JPG.097a1eeb5058e2e44fb6ada28faaa81b.JPGAs a soldier, Jana has been taught the art of efficiency, of using the right tool for the right job. What she does doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work. But that last shot of hers was a thing of beauty.

A salvo of bullets rips through the L1z1x's hard metal exoskeleton lodging deep into his internal systems. The cyborg drops like a horrible marionette with its strings cut, not dead but very much disabled. The battle is won.
The device, however, continues to spark and crackle. Whatever function it was supposed to serve, it's clearly too damaged to do that now. Yet as the bedrock walls begin to shudder and the guttural thrumming of the facility intensifies, the keleres come to the chilling realization that all that energy the device was building up still needs to go somewhere.

Jana

Jana takes a stepspacer.png closer to check for any other immediate threats - the L1z1x was a though one, but just an obstacle. Seeing none, she turns to her companion: "Karrik, what do we do now? This is far cry for my expertise but I may able to help if you walk me through it. What do you think, do we have enough time to dismantle the device before it blows up in our face?"

Jana is more than slightly worried, but this is not the time for that, the lives on Herool's Truce are still at stake.

Edited by eltorin
typo (see edit history)
Name
Mechanics (Intellect) check
genesys(2,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 2,5,3

spacer.png
Wounds 0/11 | Strain 1/14
Karrik took pause as Jana's barrage took the Lazax down with brutal efficiency.

"Well done!" he said as he slipped the bow over his shoulder. "Now, i really hope you can fix that thing. I'm not very good with repairs." He coughed into his hand. "If not, well, it was an honor to serve with you."

The rhythmic thrumming continues to intensify, the room practically vibrating now. This is well beyond Jana's expertise, but from what she can tell the device is too damaged to bring harm to Herool's Truce anymore. Remaining in this facility, however, is seeming like an increasingly unwise course of action.

Jana

Turning to Karrik, Jana says: "I think spacer.png- think! - that it's safe now for Herool's Truce, it's damaged beyond any actual high scale capacity to explode. I'm not sure about the building, though, so let's leave and talk to locals!"

Name
Athletics
genesys(1,1,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 4,4,2,3

spacer.png
Wounds 0/11 | Strain 1/14
Reopening his eyes, Karrik gave Jana a smile. "Truly you are Keleres," he said with a clear tone of relief.

"Agreed, we need to flee if this thing is going to explode. But at least we saved lives today. C'mon, let's see if i can fly us a small miracle or of here!" he said, starting to backtrack to the entrance.
Name
Brawn only
genesys(2,0,0,4,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 4,6,6,2,3,5

l1z1x.JPG.097a1eeb5058e2e44fb6ada28faaa81b.JPGThrough the dark catacombs of the ancient facility the keleres flee. The structure, which is older than some galactic civilizations, suddenly it seems to be feeling its age. The walls shake as support beams that have stood for over a millennia come tumbling down in the path of the escaping heroes.

Jana, unburdened by the heavy metal form of the L1z1x is managing to keep well ahead of the falling debris. Karrik, however, is not so lucky. As the pair move closer to the surface, the hulking avian falls further and further behind. Complicating matters is that the pair may have underestimated the L1z1x's internal self-repair functions, as even now Karrik can feel the cyborg stirring.

But hope is not lost, they are approaching the surface now and only needed to make it through one final corridor. Dashing ahead, Janna races clear of the entryway. The biting cold of the dark side of Herool's Truce bring a feeling of relief rather than discomfort.

Karrik is just behind her, a few paces from the door, when tragedy strikes. A panel gives way just above his head and a mountain of rubble tumbles through the towards him. Even so, he does not flinch, his death has saved billions of others, maybe even the galaxy itself. It is a worthy trade.

The debris kicks up a cloud of dust, smoke and ice, obscuring everything to Janna's eyes, who frantically turns and tries to feel around for her companion. She's lost plenty of people before during her time in the army, it hasn't made it any easier.

Yet, as the cloud of debris falls, a miracle seems to occur. Karrik is sitting on the ground just past the rubble, completely unharmed. 109.XY, regaining consciousness and motivity, shoved him forward at the last second, pushing him clear of the danger. It was the L1z1x's final act, only his broken limbs can be seen, sticking out of the rubble where he fell.

Standing shakily to his feet, karrik joins his companion as they both stand silently for a moment, panting from the exertion they just endured. The facility's shaking continues, but it is subsiding. They feel fairly certain that they are safe now.

Herool's Truce is also safe and so too is the galaxy. Safe, at least, from the horrible calculations of 109.XY. Somewhere out in the stars, a greater evil still lurks. The dreaded Mahact Kings, though they were never aware of the danger, have perhaps also been saved by the keleres actions. But that is a fight for another day.