Advice On Running Exploration Based Game

Blaeringr

I love running games that are more open ended, where things go at a less frantic pace, and characters are not always trying to save the world from mad gods' plots.

I find exploration based narratives work really well for this - a new land where civilization is just getting started filled with all kinds of creatures and competing groups.

A part of doing this is for me ends up being exploring, hex by hex, like in kingmaker, for example.

Anyways, I'm asking for any advice any may have on how to approach and how to present exploration. What's worked well or not so well in your games?

I've never found a way to make hex crawls interesting, but recently, I found the Mythic Game Master Emulator. It works as a way to play RPGs solo, but my favorite use for it is as a GM assistant.

Using Mythic, an area to explore would become a series of scenes. You could plant some interesting locations within the exploration area and let players quest for them, but Mythic injects some randomization into what the players actually encounter. You could also just leave the whole thing up to dice and improvisation.

I also like to combine the GME with random encounter tables that are themed to certain areas.

It's worth checking out. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/422929/Mythic-Game-Master-Emulator-Second-Edition

I wrote a fair about it earlier here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/4057-exploration-in-rpgs/&do=findComment&comment=42932

The entire thread might be worthwhile as well. My own tl;dr is that exploration is a vehicle for discovery, and discovery is what is interesting. Give the players a goal, let them choose the means, and then put things in the way of their discovery so there is payoff.

I didn't get enough time today, but for hexcrawling, I would look to games that have systems or minisystems that cover travel and exploration. I only have experience GMing the One Ring, which has a decent (imo) travel system. I have less experience (only player) with Forbidden Lands, but that game also has good reviews. And I've forgotten the specifics of Kingmaker, but I think it has its own rules for exploration.

Additionally, it's a bit of work, but for a more "living world" feel, make a timeline of major events that happen as the campaign progresses if the PCs don't get involved. Of course, you should allow the players to try and interfere if they get the info. A list of factions or important NPCs and their goals and motivations will also be very useful in that regard.

There's tons of good advice out there for running sandbox. It's not exactly the same as hexcrawls, but there are similarities. It may be worth looking into some of those videos, essays etc.