Chapter I: Escape from Elturgard

Gregorotto

token_1-2.png.787bd575645206ea3ebb0c28bcc2ce92.pngKeryn Donnathlascen

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 17/17 () | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Elven, Chondathan, Illuskan, Draconic, Thieves' Cant

Keryn raises a single eyebrow in surprise at Vasha's revelations; the rest of his face carefully schooled to hide his surprise. Certainly this murder is more complicated than he anticipated. He briefly entertains the idea that Vasha had either kept the diary as some kind of double bluff, or was explaining away its absence after failing to dispose of it, but discards it shortly after. The innkeeper hardly seems a master criminal. It does fit with the idea of possession that Gaerzil had implied through the translation of the runes. The question remains though, whether Vasha was deliberately targeted with this diary, an assumption that would place Ippon front and centre if he read that relationship correctly, or was merely an opportunity. He reaches a hand for the diary. "Time will reveal the truth Vasha, one way or another," he replies. "I assume you won't mind if I have a look around? Your visitor may have left other evidence of their passing." As he searches, he continues to question her, "Do you know of an common enemies you and Billiam may have had?"

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: Absorb Elements if required

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Booming Blade . Melee Weapon Attack: +1d8 Thunder damage if creature moves.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Name
Insight all over Vasha.
1d20+4 9
Investigation
1d20 1

15db87f7234cb3659c849826814290cf.jpgGwen | HP 26/26 | AC 18 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 12
Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 0/1

"Wellum, sit down and drink some water. You've had enough whiskey for a tenday," Gwen orders. "Pal, come on." She grabs the youth firmly by the shoulder and steers him towards the opposite end of the camp from Wellum. "Don't go anywhere near Wellum until he's sobered up. And even then, keep your distance," she advises.

Gwen looks over the poem Pal has drafted up, barely suppressing a grin. "A love poem? Who're you writing this for, Pal?" she asks, amused. Gwen never thought for a second that Pal could have killed Billiam. She knows Pal. He can be a foolish boy at times, but ritual murder is not in his ability.

To Hravin, Gwen says, "We should continue gathering information. I want to know who doesn't have an alibi. Will you help me question the others? I want to know who can vouch for who's account as for their presence at the estimated time of the murder. Those without a confirmed alibi will be our prime suspects."

Unless there is more than one killer. A pair could lie for each other. But Gwen puts that dark reality out of her mind for now. One killer among them is bad enough. To imagine there could more would be bleak.

In case a roll is necessary: Investigation

Name
Investigation
1d20-1 11

Vasha: Truth Will Out

Looking around doesn't yield much: there are footprints, but there are plenty of them. Vasha is, after all, the de facto leader of the caravan, aside from Dara and Ghorrin. As much as it may bother Ippon, people trust Vasha, and she has given Keryn no reason to doubt her. The panic in her voice is strictly a fear she will be blamed and a believed innocence on her part: that she didn't do it. Nothing else is out of place. Segren's breath is shallow, and the journal out of her hands and into Keryn's, she is silent, almost sullen. "The truth will out, and I hope I'm there to see it through. These are my people, I've known most of these people all my life. Billiam may have been a stranger to me, and I don't know who would have had it in their heart to hate him, but to threaten one of us is to threaten all of us." She looks up, her eyes begging. "Find this bastard. Bring them to justice."

She has nothing else to add.

Wellum & Pal: Hearts' Desire

Hravin helps in the separation of the two and then joins Gwen in questioning Pal, who looks sheepishly at the question. "I... uh... well. Hastrine. It's Hastrine. I took a shine to them when they came here, and they're the only exciting thing about this part of the Heartlands, best I can tell. Wellum.... Wellum says I'm not worthy. Says I'm too weak for someone like Hastrine. I think he likes them too. But I... Maybe the poem would've been enough. But since it came from Billiam, I don't want it anymore. It sours the whole thing. How am I going to get Hastrine to notice me now?"

Gwen knows Pal, and that checks out. Eyes to the horizon, the young apprentice has always wanted to see what's beyond: Hastrine has been to that "beyond." And they are beautiful, in their elven way. It makes the fight between them make more sense: a quarrel over the same heart.

While there hasn't been any communication since leaving the camp, Hravin points out it might be worth it to check in with Gaerzil and Keryn to see who's left to interview, and perhaps to compare stories between them: if there's a liar, they'll them them together.

cHP4Kvz.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric 2 | HP: 21/21 AC: 14 PP: 13 SS: 0/3

Hravin offers a nod of approval from over Gwen's shoulder. It was a fine poem, and Pal had as good a shot as any with Hastrine, he supposed. Their standards had to be remarkably high, but he couldn't knock Pal's taste. Hastrine was, indeed, lovely.

He looked again at the poem, reading over the lines, letting the metre roll around in his mind, saturating his thougts with critical examinations of the word choice. There were ways, according to his studies, to hide coded messages in plain sight, though nothing so obvious as a simple substitution cipher. Deep in his memory, bits and pieces of Jolly Roger's Cyphertext Primer made themselves known to him, framing his search for hidden message in the poem. "There may be more to this..." he wondered outloud, running his finger over the words on the page.

Gwen's comment about continuing to interview folks snapped him out of his curious reverie. "Uh, yes. Yes! That is a good idea. Perhaps we should conference with the others? Surely, they have new information as well, or at the very least, we can rule out a few more members of the gathering. Shall we?"

Before heading off to meet with the others, Hravin slyly leaned in toward Pal. "Not much escapes Hastrine, and they're certainly sure to notice you now. I think you've got a shot!" He winked.

OOC

Hravin wants to do what the DM said!

Also, he thinks there might be a hidden message in the poem and mulls that over. Very hung up on words, this guy.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement: Go find Gaerzil and Keryn

Name
Arcana
1d20+4 14

Moon Elf Rogue 

Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)

Concluding his search with little more gained, Keryn tucks away the diary and stands by the door. "I've no doubt you will remain to see the conclusion. Whilst Dara may provide the moral beacon for the caravan, it is clear you provide a more mortal touchpoint. As for the diary - that part of their plan - if pre-mediated - is indeed foiled. Distrust cannot grow on barren fields. Tend to your husband, I shall confer with my companions." He slipped from the tent, and moved through the caravan with evidence burning a hole in his pocket. During his journey, he stumbled across Gaerzil distributing his pamphlets, "I presume these are not usable in any way? Or dangerous?" he asks, recognising the sigils being freely distributed. "Has anyone come forward?" After the tilling answers, he continues, "I heard some commotion towards the rear of the caravan, perhaps we should find the others and regroup. I had chance to speak with Hastrine and Vasha, and whilst their answers provided little aid I did discover a rather important - and sensitive - clue." He edged just the tip of the diary from his inside cloak pocket, catching Gaerzil's eye, before tucking it back behind ultramarine folds.

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Pal blushes at the compliment from Hravin, and soon the former Avowed meets with Keryn as he and Gwen leave the sparring arena that is Pal and Wellum's encounter. It's not long before they find Gaerzil and Kilros conferring about their findings, and soon, Keryn and Hravin share their own findings about Vasha, about Wellum, about Hastrine, and about Pal, and finally, about Ippon and Vollis. "Something was off about the way Vollis was talking to me. Like she thought the whole thing was hilarious and was putting up a fascade for show. I wonder how much of her story was true? Tell you what: we could end this right now. We know for sure Vasha spoke to Billiam, she admitted it herself. Did she mention Vollis talking to her? Did she mention offering to help with the caravan more? Let's not pretend like anyone has trusted her since we found her... maybe we should investigate that more. Ask Vasha, or confront Vollis directly. Or we can split things up: but I don't think anyone should confront Vollis alone."

Moon Elf Rogue 

Keryn listened carefully to the various stories. Piecing things together like this wasn't really an area he excelled in - he largely considered the various plots of Baldur's Gate's upper echelons to be petty wastes of time that interfered with actually mastering a topic. However he was forced to participate from time to time both to allow himself to focus on his training, and to gain a position where he could actually make a difference. Like this journey was meant to have been. Hastrine's tale confirmed both Vellum and Pal's behaviour at least, and Vasha had given them no reason to distrust her. Vollis, he agreed with Kilros, had seemed off from the moment he'd met the woman - though at the time he hadn't been able to place exactly what it was. "I don't think we should waste time talking to Vasha," he said as the bodyguard finished speaking. "Such lies are easily checked, and she would know that. Either she doesn't care if we found out, or she's relying on Vasha being discredited and thus these would just be further evidence of Vasha lying. The third option, is that she doesn't care if we find out, because it'll be too late. This change in her behaviour seems celebratory, she may already have got all she wanted, and at this very second be leaving. If she escapes her guilt may be more obvious, but the lack of confirmation, and justice, will likely tear the caravan apart before we're even halfway home. If you can get away with murder, why not a little thievery?" he proposed.

"We'll need a plan though," he continued, "some way to force her off-balance, elicit a confession." He slipped Billiam's notebook from his pocket, showing the group. "We - I - could perhaps plant this in her tent. If she did do it, she'll know it shouldn't be there, and might trip her up. Next, whomever did this can clearly speak the Infernal tongue, as can you Gaerzil. Could we trick her into responding to a phrase, belying her understanding? It would need to be shocking to catch her off guard. "

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 12/12 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11
Spell Slots: 1st Level 3/3
Active Effects: N/A

Gaerzil considers Keryn's plan thoughtfully. "Very well, I can make an attempt. If she is indeed some sort of devil worshipper, and if she's familiar with Elturgard, it's likely she's had to hide her allegiance. Perhaps I could shout a warning that the Hellriders are coming? Though the deception might serve better if we had someone who could actually look and act the part. Perhaps Gwen, though I'm not sure she could pass herself off as one of those self-righteous zealots."

OOC

I'll go ahead and preemptively roll a Deception check for this plan. If anyone wanted to Aid it, Gaerzil with his +0 could definitely use the assistance.

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)
Name
Deception +0
1d20 13

Moon Elf Rogue 

"Good idea," Keryn nodded slowly, "if she understands infernal that's likely to prick her ears up and make her worry. I will also provide a way for us all to gather in case she tries something, without necessarily tipping her off by walking up altogether." He looked towards the scarred half-orc, "think you can do it, Gwen?"

Finally he turned to Hravin, "You mentioned before you were a good judge of people, you should be there too. Let us know if you spot something. Perhaps some sort of silent signal if she's lying..." The elf's eyes roved over Hravin's rather plain outfit, settling on plain band ring on his finger. "Perhaps you can develop a habit of playing with your ring," he indicated to the mans left hand. "Pulling it off entirely would indicate a lie."

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

15db87f7234cb3659c849826814290cf.jpgGwen | HP 26/26 | AC 18 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 12

Gwen wished that Hravin hadn't encouraged Pal. As much as she wants things to work out for the young lad, Gwen knows better than most how difficult finding love can be. There are plenty of people who would write off Pal without getting to know him and Gwen has no idea what Hastrine might think of him.

But that's an issue for another day. For now, they have a murderer to catch. And the others are beginning to think it's Vollis.

"Perhaps I could shout a warning that the Hellriders are coming? Though the deception might serve better if we had someone who could actually look and act the part. Perhaps Gwen, though I'm not sure she could pass herself off as one of those self-righteous zealots."

Gwen gives Gaerzil an amused glance. "You know, I think I might be able to pull that off," she replies dryly. "Get me a concealing helmet and a horse I can borrow. I can come thundering in--just like one of those self-righteous zealots--and then you do your thing and we'll see how Vollis reacts. If she doesn't bite, though, I'm going to look like quite the idiot."

cHP4Kvz.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric 2 | HP: 21/21 AC: 14 PP: 13 SS: 0/3

Hravin gave Gwen a quick head-to-toe glance at the suggestion that she might pass for a Hellrider and decided this was a fantastic plan. "Gwen, the Hellrider! Having seen you in the fray, I can say with certainty that you could probably pull off that deception rather nicely!" He chuckled, cutting himself short upon realizing that she might take offense to what he just said. "Er, I mean that with the utmost respect for your passion in battle, of course."

Interested in moving past the awkwardness he tends to create for himself, Hravin jumped at Keryn's suggestion. The ring was located on his index finger, making it easy to fiddle it with his thumb. He practiced for a moment, slipping it up and down between his knuckle and the tip of his finger a few times before flipping it off his finger entirely, pinching it between his forefinger and thumb, the way a magician might present a "magic" coin freshly pulled from behind the ear of a child. "A subtle signal, to be sure. You are sure you will see it?" He flipped it off his finger a few times more, practicing, and showing the others what to watch for.

"Denier willing, Vollis's deception will be easier to spot than Gwen's," he said, placing his hand on Keryn's shoulder, imparting the blessing of Denier upon his already keen elf sense.

OOC

Hravin is 100% on board with this plan.

Action: Cast Guidance on Keryn

Bonus:

Movement: Go find Gaerzil and Keryn

The plan is set: they will attempt to deceive Vollis and see what they can about her, and if she is indeed a secret cultist, they'll overtake her and bring her to justice, in whatever form that takes. Kilros nods. "I'll gather the others, as I can. You lot begin without us."

The plan is solid, the pieces in motion. They set forth.

Approaching her tent, a problem arises: where is Vollis? She's not here. A cursory search finds nothing out of sorts, no sign that she left in a hurry, but looking around the camp from her tent, they do spy her. In the distance, Wellum has gone off by himself, sitting beside one of the lead wagons, and is drinking even more heavily.

Vollis approaches him, something in her hand at the front that they can't see. Her steps are slow, deliberate, and strange, almost like a dancer's grace as she works towards him.

If they want to catch her, they have to act fast.

Moon Elf Rogue 

"My eyes are sharp," he replied to Hravin, "let us set about it." Unfortunately it seemed that in their plotting, the viper had not remained still. By the time they find her again, she already encroaches on Vellum - her next victim? Certainly he seems vulnerable; drunk and angry and distracted. Keryn would not risk another life for the sake of proving her guilt however. "Our hand is forced," he whispered, "let us keep to the simplest of deceptions." He dropped the diary in her tent underneath some clothes - in case they needed more proof for the less convinced members of the caravan, and crept closer to overhear what was being said.

OOC

Action: Stealthy stealth closer to overhear, ready to jump in if she draws a weapon or begins an incantation

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Name
Stealth
1d20+5 8

cHP4Kvz.png

"Gods, she is ready to strike!" Hravin hisses through his teeth in a whisper to Keryn. The plan, such as it was, changed mere moments after it was formed. Taking a cue from the much more agile Moon Elf, Hravin shifts his weight to the balls of his feet and attempts to move quickly and quietly toward Voliis and Wellum.

The ring on his finger, suddenly had a new purpose, becoming a sort of stylus for the subtle glyph he drew in the air as he prepared to fire a bold of Denier's radiance at Vollis should she attempt to harm Wellum

All he had to do was utter the syllables.

OOC

Hravin tries stealth and readies Guiding Bolt

Action: Fire Guiding Bolt at Vollis if she tries to harm Wellum (if within 120ft)

Bonus:

Movement: SPEED SNEAK TOWARD THEM

Name
Stealth
1d20+1 7

Gwen fishes a concealing helmet out from the camp's limited armory. It doesn't fit well and with her one eye it's damn hard to see out of the thing with the visor down. She will have to rely on her horse's sight more than her own.

Gwen slips one of the horses out of camp briefly so that she can get far enough away to return to camp at a gallop. "Alright, don't lead me into a low hanging branch," she warns the horse, who whinnies mysteriously.

Gwen brings her visor down and spurs the horse into action. She approaches the camp, making enough noise for everyone to hear. "A HellRider patrol approaches!" she shouts, a common way to introduce oneself when approaching an unknown camp at night, lest a twitchy watchman loose an arrow at her. "Make yourselves known! These lands are perilous," she shouts with the authority born from years of command.

Deception

Name
Deception
1d20 11