Chapter I: Escape from Elturgard

Gregorotto

15db87f7234cb3659c849826814290cf.jpgGwen | HP 26/26 | AC 18 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 12
Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 0/1

Gwen smiles and gives Pal and Ippon a nod when she spots them. "Glad to see you both are alright." She reaches up to Pal, who is driving the wagon, and claps him on the shoulder hard enough to make him nearly lose his balance. He nearly didn't recognize her in her battle kit, because Pal only knew Gwen from her time at What Ale's Ye. Ippon knows her from her time with the HellRiders, though. "I'm a lot better swinging an axe than I am slinging drinks, Pal."

After catching up with the two, Gwen agrees that they would be best served going with Silvia and their prisoner back to the camp. They part ways and head to Billiam's. The cabin is set in a beautiful location and Gwen stops to admire the view. The wind feels cool and fresh on her skin, tugging at loose strands of her silver hair. "Well, Billiam, I can't fault you for not moving from this spot," Gwen begins. "But you must've had a good view of what happened to Elturel from here. These lands aren't safe. We're forming a caravan to Baldur's Gate." Gwen turns her eye to the distracted man. "I think you should join us. You might have a great muse here, but it's not worth risking a gruesome death. Besides, Baldur's Gate must have a great need for poets and historians such as yourself."

Persuasion

Name
Persuasion
1d20 18

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 9/12 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11
Spell Slots: 1st Level 0/3
Active Effects: Mage Armor

Gaerzil, a former resident of Elturel, finds himself very quickly forming a positive opinion of Ippon as the halfling expresses her ill regard for the city and its overbearing, high-handed morality. Of course, he can't help pointing out an oddity with her manner of speech. "You realize that while you claim not to be religious, you keep invoking the name of Waukeen, yes?"

When they arrive at the poet-historian's home, Gaerzil is again content to stay back and let the others speak. He'll argue with this Billiam if, for some daft reason, he refuses to leave with them, but it's already been a long day and he's not particularly one for small talk. Still, he can't help quirking an eyebrow at Gwen's comments about Baldur's Gate being in great need of people in Billiam's line of work. "Actually, given the relative proximity to Candlekeep and the city's lack of any proper universities, there isn't all that much demand. Well, I suppose there might be a few noble brats in need of a new tutor."

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

cHP4Kvz.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric 2 | HP: 21/21 AC: 14 PP: 13 SS: 3/3

The view from Billiam's abode is...was...lovely. Hravin, still lost in thoughts of his self denial, gazes out over the chasm that once was a city. Streams of water pour in, small from this distance, now the shattered lines of fording rivers and creeks. Horror vacui floats to the surface of Hravin's thoughts, the long dead language still conveying it's meaning clearly; nature abhors a void. A space left unused is, eventually, a space that must be filled. He wondered briefly how long it would actually take to fill the Hole of Elturel with water.

The mention of Candlekeep breaks his train of thought.

"Candlekeep? No, you won't find any poets or historians there though many enter their doors intent on becoming one or the other. Candlekeep is nothing more than a den of theives, but your purse is not what they're stealing, oh no. Theives of Thought, is more like it, striking at people's agency and education, keeping the common folk in the dark so that theirs, the Light of Candlekeep, is the only option to follow. Ignorance in the population keeps it pliable to the whims of their sponsors, and their's is a game that runs so very deep, it may be impossible to reach the puppet masters at the top of the strings. I can pro---" Hravin cut himself short, realizing he was slipping into a rant. A flood of anxiety washed over him as he worried what his new companions and this complete stranger must think of him.

"Apologies. I...I did not exit their order on the best of terms. Please, continue."

OOC

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Pal nods along to Keryn's explanation of Hastrine's state, and sighs. "Good, good. That's great. I mean, it wouldn't have been great if they weren't great, but like, I'm not going to throw myself off a cliff over it." Ippon gives him an inquisitive and bewildered stare, as no one was asking and that was more incriminating than anyone might have asked for. At the mention of her invocation of Waukeen, the halfling shrugs. "I prefer a god that speaks with coin and practical social grace, not the high handed heaviness of a sword or lover's embrace. If I'm religious, it's the coin I worship." It works, in its way. Regardless of the rapport, Pal is suddenly much more interested in Gwen than he has ever been before. "Bet you've got some fun stories, and I'd love to hear them! Maybe you can reenact them on your friends here, so I can get a good sense of the blood and guts." Ippon rolls her eyes. "Forgive his morbidity. I haven't, so I need you to." He shrugs comically. She looks apologetically at Gwen, knowing that the end of her career as a Hellrider was not particularly dignified.

Up on the hill they head to convince Billiam, who Gwen has a passing knowledge of, but just barely: he came to her inn once right before he bought his little piece of paradise on this hill. He was just as sleepless then as he is now, but there is a curious gleam to his eye, as if he sees an opportunity. At Gaerzil's addition, and Hravin's correction, he bursts out laughing, going inside and humming to himself as he does so. "Alright, you've convinced me: this caravan will be one of the great tales of our time, and it needs a great poet to record it as it happens! But, I'll need a few things." Inside, if anyone should follow, the cabin is a mess of paper, of ink, of quills and broken pens, and of plates with food that quite frankly is past its prime and should have been disposed of earlier this tenday. "The paper I have here is of subpar quality, which might explain my output of late: this sojourn requires something great! So, I need you to pick up some supplies for me while I pack here." He notably shoves some pages in his bag, but none of the ink or quills: most of them look awful anyway, stained as they are and now permanently so with the way the ink has degraded on them. "I need fresh ink, I need the best vellum in the region, and I need no ordinary quill. The materials for the ink can be found in Emryn's Grove: gallnuts and caroba berries. You two are learned men," he indicates Gaerzil and Hravin, given what they've revealed about themselves. "You'll know the quantity. Now, for the pages, the vellum at Tilly Skye's shop is of unquestionable quality, the best in Elturgard, then or now. I need, and this is an estimate, one hundred and a half pages. If she's still there, might be worth it if she joined us too. Now, for the quills, I need three feathers, special feathers mind, from the river island down there," he points out the window, indicating the River Chionthar at the base of the hill, where an island sits some sixty feet from shore. "Three special feathers from the inhabitant of that island, and I'll have just the quills I need to write this epic. But keep to the shadows, or it'll see you! And we'll have to do with subpar quills."

Once the orders are done, he has a final offering. "The grove is closest; the shop is by the bank. The island, well, you see where it is. I'll be finished packing by the time you're done." Is he seriously demanding them go fetch things for him? Who is this pompous badger?

Out of Character

Initiative
Party

Yes, Virginia, this is a fetch quest chapter.

The book does not treat this as optional, and it's fun for fluff, so we'll go from there. Some DM notes:

• These will be skill challenges. Some involve a single success from one of you, some will be averages of the rolls from you. I will explain them in full when we get to each, but I'll go over each in short and give you a hint of what you're in for;
  • The Grove sees you collecting "a cluster of gallnuts and a handful of caroba berries" that involves a light amount of danger. This can be resolved quickly in a single round of posting once I explain it;
  • The Shop is a two-parter, involving exploring the outside and collecting vellum inside. Because we did the previous part first, we get some extra fluff. The danger here is much higher than either of the other two;
  • The Island involves two parts as well, getting to the island and collecting the feathers. This can be resolved in one post if we're creative. How this is resolved determines how things end for Part 3.

Let's pick and go!

token_1-2.png.787bd575645206ea3ebb0c28bcc2ce92.pngKeryn Donnathlascen

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 17/17 () | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Elven, Chondathan, Illuskan, Draconic, Thieves' Cant

Keryn rolls his eyes at the 'historians' list of requests, as if they were some common servants. Though he can appreciate at least the desire to only wield the best - he takes care of his rapier after all - a persons skill is their own, not defined by the tools they use. However, if this Billam's epic were to be recorded for posterity and become popular, it would serve Keryn well to be reflected favourably. After all, he would likely be around still to reap the benefits. Thus he quashed his initial indignity, and plasters on the mask of politeness reserved for only the most irritating of fellow Courtiers.

Turning to his companions he speaks in a low voice "It seems the pair of scholars have already been selected to fetch the berries here, the rest of us inadequate to do so lest we offend. For the island I would be happy to attempt this feat alone, however given his warning it may be prudent having backup nearby." Or a distraction he thinks. Gesturing to Gwen and Kilros he continues "I don't fancy your chances of making the swim in that armour, so it looks like Grug would be the best. Which leaves the pair of you as our paper merchants. I'm sure you'll be able to count to one hundred and a half between you. Gods forbid you forget that half though. Maybe take one-fifty as a precaution to poor phrasing."

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: Absorb Elements if triggered

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Booming Blade . Melee Weapon Attack: +1d8 Thunder damage if creature moves.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 9/12 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11

One might expect Gaerzil to express contempt at this man's list of demands. However, as a wizard trained in the tradition of the Order of Scribes, the suitability of very specific inks to very specific tasks is something Gaerzil completely understands. It doesn't stop him from grumbling in mild annoyance, of course, but he's generally amenable to the idea.

"Fine, I'll go," he says grumpily. "Gallnuts and caroba berries. I'm sure I've read about them somewhere."

He turns to Harvin with a raised eyebrow. "Perhaps we could discuss your, ah, strong opinions about Candlekeep? I've never been, but patrons of Sorcerous Sundries were often seeking rare tomes to offer as an entry fee. Most seemed to regard the place with a bit of reverent awe. Or concern about an alleged doppleganger colony in the basement."

OOC

Nature check to recall knowledge about gallnuts and caroba berries.

Name
Nature
1d20+5 12
Sleight of Hand to collect caroba berries
1d20+5 13

Grug (Goliath Barbarian) Level: 2spacer.png

AC: 14 | HP: 2/22 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | DM Inspiration:

Grug wears the face of one beyond his depth, which he is. Scholarly talk was not within his wheelhouse, and it bored him quickly. When Keryn volunteered to go on the island quest, Grug chimed in with, “Island sounds good.”

Mechanics

Main Hand: Battle Axe
Off Hand: 

Action:
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate:

cHP4Kvz.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric 2 | HP: 16/21 AC: 14 PP: 13 SS: 3/3

"Oh, right, the 'copy room' as they called it," answering Gaerzil on the issue of dopplegangers, "it's sort of true, but not for the reasons most people think. When I first entered, seeking to be annointed as an avowed, one of their idiotic hazing rituals is to convince fresh minds that they somehow escaped from the basement and don't remember, their real selves lost in some horrifying war or street robbery stabbing or whatever. Childish, to say the least, but in good fun. Although it did prompt me to wonder about the nature of our consiousness and whether or not any sort of copy of ourselves would be a new, unique person, or..." He let himself trail off, getting lost again in some old thoughts.

They arrived fairly quickly, ready to gather as though heading to a picnic. Hravin could appreciate the careful selection of ingredients, but in most cases, simpler solutions would do. That Billiam was a persnickity man indicated that he had some wit about him, so Hravin decided he'd pick the man's brain, later. At the moment, Gaerzil wanted to pick his.

"I struggle to remind myself that my opinions are my own, Gaerzil." A glance around to see if anyone else was in earshot. "A struggle born of my desire to bring truth the world. Hence why I saught to join the Avowed. Candlekeep, itself, is a bevy of knowledge. Vast shelves and stores of tomes, some as thick as your leg, collecting the knowledge from so many cultures and histories. It is, to put it lightly, the most powerful tool imaginable, even though many treat it more as a curiosity or gimmick."

A quick sigh while he sized up the tree he was now destined to climb. He positioned himself for stability, and attempted to reach the branches to start hauling himself up as he spoke.

"My strong opinions are not directed at Candlekeep itself, but at those charged with administering it's bounty to the worl-"

Cut off by an increasingly angry buzz, Hravin looked up just in time to see a disturbed nest of angry wasps. "Hells..." was pretty much all he could get out before some deft swatting took place while he clung desperately to the tree. The noise was almost as intense as each sting, at least five of them jabbing at his exposed head and face. "Gaer-" buzz buzz buzz "help! Gah!"

By the time it all done, Hravin slid down the tree with a handful of nuts and a few swollen spots on his face. Whatever venom those little wasps carried was intense, but barable for now. Some patching up would be needed when they headed back to Billiams. Hravin assumed he's the type of hermit to know a good salve.

OOC

Hravin tries climbing a tree for the first time since he was a boy, and...the wasps are there to greet him, stingers and all. He does manage to get the needed nuts, though.

When he head back to Billiam's, he'll ask about a salve for a bit of healing.

He also glances around to see if anyone was listening to his Candlekeep rants.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Perception Check
1d20+3 12
Acrobatics Check
1d20+1 10
Dex Check
1d20+1 10

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 17/17 () | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)

Keryn carefully picks his way down the hillside, Grug in tow, until level with the island. Dense greenery rose rapidly amidst the churning waters, a stubborn crown. He unslung his pack, his cloak, and slipped off his supple leather boots, sequestering all among the rocky shore just above the water line. The river looks brisk. It will not be an easy swim, but he relishes the challenge.

With a frown, he leaves his shortbow and quiver too. The water would likely ruin the string even if any arrows miraculously remained, trading it for a thick hemp rope. His rapier he bound tightly to his belt after a moments consideration. The historian had implied danger awaited. Finally he ties back his long silken hair, and strolls the bank looking for the most favourable entry. None of it appears particularly inviting, but one of the sharp rocks juts out further than the others, enough to hopefully dive clear of the danger.

Eyeing his companions muscles he asks "You don't look like you'll struggle with this, but the water can be deceiving. If you have a rope as well, whoever is first across can throw it to the other?"

Unfortunately the rock he's chosen to dive from is sitting on the edge because it's next to fall in, and chooses the moment of his dive to fall. Keryn lands significantly closer to the choppy bank than he intended, and fights futilely to get clear.

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Athletics DC12
1d20+4 4

Grug (Goliath Barbarian) Level: 2spacer.png

AC: 14 | HP: 2/22 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | DM Inspiration:

Grug shrugs his massive shoulders and makes sure his rope is handy. He enters the water effortlessly, tossing the rope back to his companion once he reaches shore.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Battle Axe
Off Hand: 

Action:
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate:

Name
Athletics check
1d20+5 18

15db87f7234cb3659c849826814290cf.jpgGwen | HP 26/26 | AC 18 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 12
Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 0/1

Gwen frowns at Billiam. Now is not the time to be collecting trinkets for, of all things, writing! The only thing of importance is checking out the shop to find more survivors. "I really don't think any of us will want-" Nope, everyone seems content for their own reasons to go along with Billiam's delusions. "Okay, then. Kilros, you're with me. Let's go see if we can anyone--and I suppose some pages--at this shop."

Gwen and Kilros head over to the shop. Gwen keeps her shield out and ready, but leaves her axe hanging from her belt, though her hand is tensed and ready to draw it at a moment's notice. "Hello? Is anyone there?" Gwen calls out as they approach the shop.

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 11/17 () | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3

Despite the Goliath's mighty throw, Keryn is unable to grab the rope before being dashed against the rocky shoreline, pulling himself back onto land. He coughs wincing at the bruised ribs it's reveals, before heading upstream a little further to where Grug set off. He strikes our, aiming to at least be within grasping distance of the rope should the current prove too strong again, aware technique can only carry him so far without the tribesman's raw power. The loose end this time catches his arm, dragging him under and leaving him gasping for air, but he finally manages to get free and make it to the other side, panting. He holds a hand up for Grug to pause, trying to catch his breath. Nature had done more to injure him than any incompetent enemy on the journey to date. Eventually he manages to whisper out "Remember, Billam said to stay hidden. I'm not sure from what, so let's just get the feathers and get out."

He sneaks forward, trying to spot any suitable quills. The historian might just have to make do with whatever they find. Thankfully despite his aching muscles he manages to maintain his composure. Or perhaps now that control and technique can shine over the raw might of the river his training pays the expected dividends.

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Athletics DC12
1d20+4 2
Athletics DC12
1d20+4 17
Stealth
1d20+5 19

IC

spacer.png
spacer.pngKilros "Psalms" Regios

www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2836360

LN Tiefling Paladin Lvl 2/ AC 18 (Chainmail and Shield)/HP 21/21/Speed 30 ft./Passive Perception 11/Passive Insight 13/Passive Investigation 10

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1), Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3)
Strength Save: +3; Athletic +5
Dexterity Save: -1
Constitution Save: +1
Intelligence Save: +0
Wisdom Save: +3; Insight +3
Charisma Save: +5; Intimidation +5, Persuasion +5

Playing Card Proficiency +2

Attack and Scores

Battleaxe +5, 1d8(10)+5

Javelins (5) +5, 1d6+3, 30/120

Class and Race Abilities

Class Features

Divine SenseThe presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell.: 4/day

Lay on HandsYour blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level × 5.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

This feature has no effect on undead and constructs.
: 10 points/day

Divine SmiteYou can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend, to a maximum of 6d8.

Spellcasting (DC 13)

1st (2/day): Compelled DuelYou attempt to compel a creature into a duel.
One creature that you can see within range must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is drawn to you, compelled by your divine demand. For the duration, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than you, and must make a Wisdom saving throw each time it attempts to move to a space that is more than 30 feet away from you; if it succeeds on this saving throw, this spell doesn’t restrict the target’s movement for that turn.

The spell ends if you attack any other creature, if you cast a spell that targets a hostile creature other than the target, if a creature friendly to you damages the target or casts a harmful spell on it, or if you end your turn more than 30 feet away from the target.
, Searing SmiteThe next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell’s duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensitity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames.

At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spells ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
, Thunderous SmiteThe first time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your weapon rings with thunder that is audible within 300 feet of you, and the attack deals an extra 2d6 thunder damage to the target. Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet away from you and knocked prone., Wrathful SmiteThe next time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your attack deals an extra 1d6 psychic damage.

Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the spell ends. As an action, the creature can make a Wisdom check against your spell save DC to steel its resolve and end this spell.

Racial Features

Darkvision: 60 ft.

Hellish ResistanceKilros has resistance to fire damage

Legacy of Avernus

At will - ThaumaturgyCasting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Up to 1 minute

You manifest a minor wonder, a sign of supernatural power, within range. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

- Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute.

- You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute.

- You cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute.

- You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers.

- You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.

- You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute.
If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its 1-minute effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Background Feature

Loyalty Test: You've had enough dealings with crooked soldiers that you can spot the behaviors common to corrupt guards and military officers a mile away. While awareness of such corruption doesn't equate to evidence of it, and your sense certainly isn't foolproof, your instinct proves a useful starting point when determining who might take a bribe, who might turn a blind eye to a crime, or who might have criminal connections. You can also use this sense to get a feeling about who might fulfill their duties strictly by the book.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

Kilros had to admit that this was not how he planned on things going. He was okay with finding survivors, finding food, and finding weapons. But now they were finding writing supllies? He raised an eyebrow as he followed Gwen, weapons and shield still at the ready, "So...how did we end up in this predicament again?" he asked Gwen as the approached the place and his natural instinct had him scanning the area.

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Name
Perception
1d20+1 7

And so, the group splits into three. Billiam is more than a little pleased, and begins packing in earnest. "I'll meet you down at the Mill!"

Emryn's Grove: The Ink

spacer.pngThe two scholarly souls head onward to Emryn's Grove, seeking the berries and nuts used to make ink that Billiam so desires.

Emryn's Grove is visible from Billiam's little cabin, barely a stone's throw away, and going within, perceptive Hravin and knowledgable Gaerzil are quickly able to find their quarry. The two chat, exchanging thoughts on Candlekeep and how things were there that would cause Hravin to have such a negative opinion of it. Gaerzil shares his knowledge openly: gallnut trees are towering things, oaken in size and constitution, with cyprus-like bulbs found often due to their purview at attracting insects that often stick the bark, leaving behind balls. The nuts, fortunately, are not found very deep in, and soon Hravin sees one that is appropriately reachable while Gaerzil begins collecting caroba berries, ideal for strong ink, whether mundane or mystic ink: not that Billiam seems the type to have mystic musings, beyond his own self importance.

As the tiefling quickly collects his goods, Hravin begins to climb the tree, seeing the problem before it starts: gallnut trees attract insects that nest, too, and that includes wasps. Wasps that have noticed him. Wasps that are angry at the scholar's intrusion. Collecting the nuts as quickly as he can, Hravin finds he is under assault and comes down with more than a few stings that hopefully can be dealt with sooner rather than later. Damnable things!

With nothing else before them, they head back to the Mill by way of Billiam's cabin, which has already been deserted: they spy him chatting with Pal below, the youth beaming ear to ear in speaking with him.

Open Skye's: The Paper

spacer.pngIf there are two souls less suited to raid a paper shop, it is the two soldiers.

Above the opened door, there is a sign: Open Skye's, with a quill and paper with wings on it, swinging in the slight late afternoon breeze. The door being open is telling enough, but to the opened door there is a piece of parchment with these words, clearly visible to even Gwen's one eye: "Closed Indefinitely Due to Infernal Incidents." The shops and houses around Open Skye's have been ransacked, with a bit of green and yellow cloth matching the cultists from the hidden shrine earlier: they must have hit this hamlet before hitting up the smithy and then summoning their devil friend.

At Gwen's cry, there is no response. There is, however, something inside the shop: something causing a strange noise, not unlike a lightning strike. Occasionally within, a piece of parchment blows by: something tumultuous within is moving the parchment around!

But what is causing it? They can't quite see it from outside.

River Island: The Feathers

Furthest from the cabin of Billiam, the brawler and the beguiler head to the river's edge.spacer.png

As the river churns, resisting the urge to flow backwards into Elturel, it creates rapids in places it might not otherwise: the bank below is in tumult, rocks and foliage dancing in the currents that go to and fro. The best way is through, Keryn and Grug decide, the two decide to swim across. Grug has no trouble, massive muscles resisting the water ably, while Keryn finds the rapids too much for him at times: more than once he is thrown into the sharp rocks, both above and below water, before, even with Grug's rope's help, he eventually does find his way across. Resting with his companion's help, the elf reminds the goliath that stealth is their purview, and now Keryn is in control. Tasking himself with exceptional subterfuge, he moves through the underbrush until it becomes painfully obvious why they are here.

A pegasus lives on this island.

The winged horse of lore the likes of which Keryn has not heard since childhood sits before him, half-dozing, feathers strown about, resting nervously, twitching occasionally in the wind that blows. With elven grace, Keryn is able to go forth and collect a number of feathers, the pegasus still asleep, before returning to the beach with Grug: they have succeeded with flying colors, now that they have come ashore.

Now the only issue is getting back.

Out of Character

Alright! Two out of three events done! What remains?

• These Nuts: You're done! You can go assist either of the other two groups.
  • Paper Predicament: Alright, you chose the wisest, slowest path. Not an issue if we can include the others too. Enter at your leisure, feel free to roll another Perception check, and once inside, you can collect parchment in one of two ways: normally, or slowly. I'll provide more information once you lot are inside ;)
  • Feathery Fury: You gotta swim across! Same DCs as before; if I missed that the rope was tied on the other side, then you lot can use that to get over without effort. If you choose to swim, you do so with advantage since this time you'll be swimming with the current. Afterwards, you can join either of the other two groups.

Gaerzil looks at Hravin sympathetically as they walk back to Billiam's home. He had his own personal experience with stinging insects and could not say he was particularly a fan. Elturel, being the orderly city of zealots that it was, had employed a fairly effective force of pestkeepers that had kept wasps from forming hives in most of the city's streets and alleyways. Most, but not all. Particularly not the one a half-feral tiefling child chose hide in after cutting some fat merchant's purse. It had been blocked by a makeshift wooden barrier, and young Gaerzil had forced his way through a small hole in its corner. When he stood up, his horns had brushed against something unfamiliar. And loud. And buzzy.

That was a bad day.

"So," he says slowly, "do you have a spell or anything that can... ?" He gestures vaguely to the welts covering the cleric's face and arms. "I know a recipe for a soothing lotion, but there aren't many cacti native to this area."

As they approach Billiam and Pal, he holds up his collected berries. "Done. We're the first ones back?"