Chapter I: Escape from Elturgard

Gregorotto

For his part, the prisoner is being completely honest, as best as Hravin can tell. Returned Deneir be praised, the man did not seem like he was a spectacular liar, and so that made sousing out the truth much, much easier. To his question, the cultist shakes his head. "She was as surprised as I was. She masqueraded as a washer woman at a nearby laundress' home, and had heard nothing through the holy grape vine. She wanted answers just like the rest of us." Keryn's promise that they would be destroyed causes the the cultist to laugh, shaking his head miserably, tears on his face. "Well, you've certainly made sure of that. But there are more of us. There always are. You can't win... I will... we will all of us be rewarded."

Unfortunately for Hravin, he can tell the cultist doesn't really believe that. And at the mention of punishment, now or later, the cultist perks up, silently, without saying anything in his defense. Then comes Gwen's question; he follows her gaze to the lulling face of the dead man on the slab, looking ill in his repose. "Slate, that's the name I knew him by. Joined us looking for a cure to some wasting disease the gods couldn't cure. Or wouldn't. Whatever the case, he saw this as his opportunity to be part of something greater. Offered himself up to the Iron Lord for an answer... and we received it. That's true faith. Do you know true faith, girl? Can you fathom giving yourself to a cause like that?"

Can Gwen imagine giving herself to a religious cause, indeed?

Silvia, at Hravin's questions, begins to sob. "I froze. I was just, I got so scared, imagining what was down here, and now you all suffered for it, and Grug almost died, and I... I don't think I can do this. I think I need to go back to the caravan, and like, find something there. I'm not as brave as I thought."

Out of Character

Initiative
Party

Enemies
Bandit 2-12 AC, 1/11 HP

I'm ready to move on when you lot are!

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 9/12 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11
Spell Slots: 1st Level 0/3
Active Effects: Mage Armor

When their prisoner explains who the sacrifice was, Gaerzil turns to Gwen and shrugs. "Well, it seems it was voluntary. In that case, who are we to judge?" He considers that for a second. "Oh, yes, heavily armed adventurers protecting refugees who, as Keryn observed, probably can't spare the resources to keep a prisoner right now. Bad luck for you, friend. Would you prefer ice or steel?"

Before he can hear the cultist's answer, he's surprised by Silvia's sobbing outburst. He turns to look at the priestess with a mix of concern and disappointment. Despite himself, he'd been hoping there was more to her than her beauty and flirtatious charm. Unfortunately, it didn't seem she had the stomach needed for the life of an adventurer. A shame, to be sure. He says nothing in response to her; he simply turns away and returns his attention to the cultist. "I'm sorry, I was distracted, but I hope you said 'ice.'"

Gaerzil points his finger at the man and begins chanting a few, short words. If anyone plans to intervene to save this man's life, they will need to act quickly.

OOC

If no one raises any objections, Gaerzil will cast ray of frost to finish the cultist off. But if anyone tells him to stop, he will.

Grug (Goliath Barbarian) Level: 2spacer.png

AC: 14 | HP: 2/22 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | DM Inspiration:

Grug coughs, then says hoarsely through his still raw throat, “Don’t kill. He want that, think he be martyr. Rotting in prison worse for his kind,”

Mechanics

Main Hand: Battle Axe
Off Hand: 

Action:
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate:

XAIlHMJ.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric | HP: 11/14 AC: 15 PP: 12

There was a strangeness within Hravin, perhaps not outwardly so, but at the mention of Faith, Hravin understood what it was. His affinity to Deneir felt renewed, bolstered in a way. The world had just change so rapidly that there was some comfort in that thought. Interesting how one often had to experience the burning of fire before asking the forgiveness of water.

Silvia's response was unsurprising. Hravin didn't exactly want to be here either, yet here he was. Still, he could not judge her. "You are stronger than you think, Silvia, for it takes tremendous courage to admit that one has reached their limit." He nodded his approval in her parting. "Help the caravan, and do not forget to care for yourself."

They still had a prisoner to deal with. Gaerzil was ready to punctuate the battle with a period and move on, but Grug spoke sense, stopping Hravin from complicity in the the killing.

"Grug is right. Martyrdom is a reward for these types. I can only speak for myself, but I feel he should be handed over to the refugees. It is not our place to deal in fates unless no other option is available."

OOC

Hravin votes to leave the prisoner alive.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

IC

spacer.png
spacer.pngKilros "Psalms" Regios

www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2836360

LN Tiefling Paladin Lvl 2/ AC 18 (Chainmail and Shield)/HP 21/21/Speed 30 ft./Passive Perception 11/Passive Insight 13/Passive Investigation 10

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1), Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3)
Strength Save: +3; Athletic +5
Dexterity Save: -1
Constitution Save: +1
Intelligence Save: +0
Wisdom Save: +3; Insight +3
Charisma Save: +5; Intimidation +5, Persuasion +5

Playing Card Proficiency +2

Attack and Scores

Battleaxe +5, 1d8(10)+5

Javelins (5) +5, 1d6+3, 30/120

Class and Race Abilities

Class Features

Divine SenseThe presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell.: 4/day

Lay on HandsYour blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level × 5.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

This feature has no effect on undead and constructs.
: 10 points/day

Divine SmiteYou can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend, to a maximum of 6d8.

Spellcasting (DC 13)

1st (2/day): Compelled DuelYou attempt to compel a creature into a duel.
One creature that you can see within range must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is drawn to you, compelled by your divine demand. For the duration, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than you, and must make a Wisdom saving throw each time it attempts to move to a space that is more than 30 feet away from you; if it succeeds on this saving throw, this spell doesn’t restrict the target’s movement for that turn.

The spell ends if you attack any other creature, if you cast a spell that targets a hostile creature other than the target, if a creature friendly to you damages the target or casts a harmful spell on it, or if you end your turn more than 30 feet away from the target.
, Searing SmiteThe next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell’s duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensitity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames.

At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spells ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
, Thunderous SmiteThe first time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your weapon rings with thunder that is audible within 300 feet of you, and the attack deals an extra 2d6 thunder damage to the target. Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet away from you and knocked prone., Wrathful SmiteThe next time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your attack deals an extra 1d6 psychic damage.

Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the spell ends. As an action, the creature can make a Wisdom check against your spell save DC to steel its resolve and end this spell.

Racial Features

Darkvision: 60 ft.

Hellish ResistanceKilros has resistance to fire damage

Legacy of Avernus

At will - ThaumaturgyCasting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Up to 1 minute

You manifest a minor wonder, a sign of supernatural power, within range. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

- Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute.

- You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute.

- You cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute.

- You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers.

- You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.

- You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute.
If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its 1-minute effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Background Feature

Loyalty Test: You've had enough dealings with crooked soldiers that you can spot the behaviors common to corrupt guards and military officers a mile away. While awareness of such corruption doesn't equate to evidence of it, and your sense certainly isn't foolproof, your instinct proves a useful starting point when determining who might take a bribe, who might turn a blind eye to a crime, or who might have criminal connections. You can also use this sense to get a feeling about who might fulfill their duties strictly by the book.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

"Agreed about giving him to the refugees. They are technically the victims of this and the ones we work for. If they so choose to keep him until we reach Baldur's Gate, we only do the bare minimum to keep him alive, so he's not too taxing on our resources." Kilros chimed in and he sneered at the obviously frightened man, "And as much as I would like to slit his throat and toss him to the devils as food, he's answered our questions and cooperated. The least we owe him is that."

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Edited by Amaryllis77 (see edit history)

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 9/12 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11
Spell Slots: 1st Level 0/3
Active Effects: Mage Armor

Gaerzil lets the frosty energy swirling around his index finger dissipate. In truth, he's a bit relieved that his companions stopped him; he's never actually killed anyone before and wasn't particularly enthusiastic about crossing that line. Not that he held some irrational belief about the sanctity of life or that even the worst villains deserved a chance at redemption; some people made the world worse by continuing to exist in it, and their removal would create a net positive impact. For example: this thoroughly unrepentant and braggadocious cultist. Letting him live is only going to make things harder for the people around him. Still, he's always read that killing a fellow mortal is a big deal that changes a man irrevocably, for good or ill. Why should this random buffoon have the power to alter Gaerzil's life?

And so, he steps back, regards his objecting companions, and shrugs. "I'll remind you that we currently lack prisons, guards, courtrooms, or any real system of law at all. If this man breaks free and hurts someone or otherwise causes pain to those in our charge, that will be on you."

token_1-2.png.787bd575645206ea3ebb0c28bcc2ce92.pngKeryn Donnathlascen

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 17/17 () | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Elven, Chondathan, Illuskan, Draconic, Thieves' Cant

Keryn sighs at Silvia's confession, though as Hravin pointed out at least she recognises her limits. The cultist seems to similarly lack conviction in his belief to be honest, for all he speaks of true faith; probably the very weakness that lured him into the devil cut in the first place. An easy way out of self improvement. Devils and demons cared not for the will of their lackeys though; they had plenty malevolence of their own as the one summoned here had just demonstrated before its timely demise. The denizens of hell and abyss alike that flooded the ruins of Myth Drannor too long outlived their summoners. All the more reason to not leave any alive to cause more trouble. Oddly enough, it was Gaerzil who seemed to grasp that best, acting in such a decisive manner as to earn Keryn's re-evaluation and respect. In fact, he's about to compliment the wizard when Grug chimes in and cuts him off. He looks pointedly around the room, "A martyr for whom exactly?" he asks rhetorically. However the others quickly chime in favour of sparing the mans life. He sighs, correcting Kilros "You may work for the refugees, but I certainly do not. As far as I'm concerned the most we owe him is the same opportunity to justice afforded to anyone, and as the learned wizard here rightfully assesses we lack all that. In Baldur's Gate he would be charged and convicted with Conspiracy post-haste. In their absence, I would be happy to carry out that duty - devil worship is a rot that festers, a cult that preys on the weak and desperate. Gaerzil is correct, his future sins lie on your heads."

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: Absorb Elements if triggered

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Booming Blade . Melee Weapon Attack: +1d8 Thunder damage if creature moves.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

IC

spacer.png
spacer.pngKilros "Psalms" Regios

www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2836360

LN Tiefling Paladin Lvl 2/ AC 18 (Chainmail and Shield)/HP 21/21/Speed 30 ft./Passive Perception 11/Passive Insight 13/Passive Investigation 10

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1), Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3)
Strength Save: +3; Athletic +5
Dexterity Save: -1
Constitution Save: +1
Intelligence Save: +0
Wisdom Save: +3; Insight +3
Charisma Save: +5; Intimidation +5, Persuasion +5

Playing Card Proficiency +2

Attack and Scores

Battleaxe +5, 1d8(10)+5

Javelins (5) +5, 1d6+3, 30/120

Class and Race Abilities

Class Features

Divine SenseThe presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell.: 4/day

Lay on HandsYour blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level × 5.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

This feature has no effect on undead and constructs.
: 10 points/day

Divine SmiteYou can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend, to a maximum of 6d8.

Spellcasting (DC 13)

1st (2/day): Compelled DuelYou attempt to compel a creature into a duel.
One creature that you can see within range must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is drawn to you, compelled by your divine demand. For the duration, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than you, and must make a Wisdom saving throw each time it attempts to move to a space that is more than 30 feet away from you; if it succeeds on this saving throw, this spell doesn’t restrict the target’s movement for that turn.

The spell ends if you attack any other creature, if you cast a spell that targets a hostile creature other than the target, if a creature friendly to you damages the target or casts a harmful spell on it, or if you end your turn more than 30 feet away from the target.
, Searing SmiteThe next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell’s duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensitity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames.

At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spells ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
, Thunderous SmiteThe first time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your weapon rings with thunder that is audible within 300 feet of you, and the attack deals an extra 2d6 thunder damage to the target. Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet away from you and knocked prone., Wrathful SmiteThe next time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your attack deals an extra 1d6 psychic damage.

Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the spell ends. As an action, the creature can make a Wisdom check against your spell save DC to steel its resolve and end this spell.

Racial Features

Darkvision: 60 ft.

Hellish ResistanceKilros has resistance to fire damage

Legacy of Avernus

At will - ThaumaturgyCasting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Up to 1 minute

You manifest a minor wonder, a sign of supernatural power, within range. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

- Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute.

- You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute.

- You cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute.

- You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers.

- You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.

- You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute.
If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its 1-minute effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Background Feature

Loyalty Test: You've had enough dealings with crooked soldiers that you can spot the behaviors common to corrupt guards and military officers a mile away. While awareness of such corruption doesn't equate to evidence of it, and your sense certainly isn't foolproof, your instinct proves a useful starting point when determining who might take a bribe, who might turn a blind eye to a crime, or who might have criminal connections. You can also use this sense to get a feeling about who might fulfill their duties strictly by the book.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

"As if this was not first time dealing with transporting criminals," Kilros stated as if offended although his face remained neutral, "If the caravan decides he should die, you get your chance to end his life and get the chance to brag. If they decide on the other end, I will help them keep him guarded." Kilros then turned to the cultist with his cruel grin on his face, "And if he tries to escape, where to and with what tools. Bandits lay on this road and will always search for easy prey, and that's not counting any stray devils that might travel further out. And that is not also disqualifying me," Kilros loomed over the cultists with his eyes slit and his tail twitching threateningly, "You so much as make me regret stopping him," he motioned to Gaerzil, "If you make me chase you, I will gladly hack off your limbs and leave them for the wildlife. Do we have an understanding?"

Kilros knew the others had a point. It would be easier to simply end him now and be done with it. But...he could almost hear his mentor scolding him for not seeing what the client wants first. A mercenary that kills indiscriminately is nothing more than a thug and deserves a bad reputation. It wouldn't matter if the person was scum. If the client wanted them alive, they would remain alive. If they wanted him dead, then they were food for the carrion.

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Moon Elf Rogue 

Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)

Keryn shrugs at Kilros' reply. To be honest, he knew exceptionally little about any of the thrown together group, though he imagined that the barbarian and mercenary knew each other a little better. "What would there be to brag about for killing an unarmed man?" he asks somewhat rhetorically, "it's unseemly behaviour at the best of times besides. Facts stand for themselves unadorned. Flattery has it's place, but not when you're lying to yourself." Still, the Tiefling seems to have it in hand, at least it doesn't seem like fear stayed his hand.

"We should hurry to the mill," he announces abruptly, "perhaps, Silvia, you could take these weapons back to the caravan with you?"

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Grug (Goliath Barbarian) Level: 2spacer.png

AC: 14 | HP: 2/22 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | DM Inspiration:

Grug looks down at the pitiful man whose life he had just saved. There was no honor in killing one such as this. He growled at the man, “Come or I drag you by toe.”

Mechanics

Main Hand: Battle Axe
Off Hand: 

Action:
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate:

The cultist has little more to say, looking sheepish and defeated, disgusted but more with himself: he is not getting the gift of martyrdom, but something makes Keryn think he didn't want it anyway. Rather than drifting into zealotry, this one appears to be falling into a despondency. He says no more, not even meeting Kilros' eyes at the threat: he seems to shrink deeply, taking in the threat to be fed to the wildlife or worse of Elturgard to heart. They've broken the poor man: and good thing, too.

Silvia, disheartened, does not hide her crying. "I... I think I will take the weapons, so you can all get to the mill faster and we get away from this dreadful place. I'll take the prisoner too, if you can tie a good knot on him. The cart won't be too much trouble, I don't think." With that, they leave the cultists' sanctum and head up, Gwen and Grug retrieving the cart and filling it with the weapons; the latter also ties up the cultist more thoroughly and throws him in before hog-tying him in the cart. Before she leaves, Silvia offers her healing to Grug and whoever wants it. Then, showing the strength of a masseuse, Silvia takes the cart and follows the road with them for a time, before heading towards the caravan while they head to the mill. They almost get away from her, until someone calls out to them.

spacer.png

spacer.png"Oi! You there! With the cart!"

It is a woman's voice who calls out, a halfling woman with bright red hair sitting beside a youthful human lad who holds the reins of two donkeys pulling a stuffed wagon, full of barrels and goods. They approach the group and Silvia, waving them down. "Well-met: I'm Ippon, the local miller. This here's my apprentice, Pal, and you lot look like you're headed to the caravan that's building up. But then, that's just rumor to us: we don't know nothin' about Elturel falling, monsters running amok, all that business. But we were gonna head to the caravan anyway: but we couldn't get much stuff from my mill! Fortunately, you've got a wagon and have just enough room to include the necessities, not barring the weapons or the, uh... the strange man in bonds you've got there. Looks like you lot have a story or two to tell: mind tellin' me what you've been up to and about the caravan? Are the rumors that doofus Vasha is involved? Leadin' the group? Yolanda's bounty, that's just great." Pal laughs at his mentor. "You'd think they're ready to kill each other."

Ippon glares at him. "Help that young lady with her cart, and you lot tell me what's goin' on."

Out of Character

Initiative
Party

Alright, welcome to Part 3! In the book, this is part 2, but that's ok.

Let's say everyone is back at full health; I can manipulate Silvia's sheet in such a way as to make it possible. It won't matter, Part 3 doesn't feature a lot of combat anyway if any at all. We're looking at skill challenges, people!

Before we get too far, legally at the intersection of Parts 2 and 3 I should offer you all the ability to level up if you so choosel; but keep in mind, if you advance to level 3, you won't be eligible to play in parts 3 and 4. At my count, only Hravin was level 1 for the last encounter, so the rest of you should be able to just chill through this.

Let's get the scenario set up and I'll let you all in on the skill challenge to speed us through Part 3.

On Part 3: I'll spoil any Insight checks, Ippon and Pal are completely sincere and friendly, albeit there is tension with Vasha from the Inn. Beyond that, ask questions and recap as you like and I'll have Ippon set you on the path to the heart of Part 3.

Moon Elf Rogue 

"That's the first favourable turn of fate's wheel today," Keryn thinks as the halfling woman pulling the cart calls out. "Well met Miller Ippon," he replies. "I am Keryn Donnathlascen, my companions I'm sure can speak for themselves although I gather Gwynevere is somewhat known in these parts and may be recognised. We all were unfortunate enough to witness the fall - or Fall - of Elturel, and happened upon the remains of a caravan that is now headed towards Baldur's Gate in search of refuge. A wise choice on your part to join it, there have already been several unfortunate incidents in the area, including the rescue of one Vasha and a collection of other N'Tel'Quessir  from lemures. However the leadership - or certainly spiritual leadership, of the caravan has been assumed rather by a young Chosen of Ilmater, which I'm not sure bodes well for what we are to suffer," he elaborates on the evens of the past day. "We were in fact seeking your Mill as our next destination, having gathered both people, and weapons to arm then against the dangers of the road, we sought finally food and tools to endure the journey ahead. If you wish, Silvia here can guide you to the caravan if you direct us towards your mill, or you can join us yourself?" Keryn offers with refined tone - hopefully offsetting the somewhat intimidating nature cultivated by a heavily armed Kilros, scarred Gwen and mountain of muscle in Grug.

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

cHP4Kvz.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric 2 | HP: 21/21 AC: 14 PP: 13 SS: 3/3

Hravin nods with Keryn's words, the Moon Elf speaking with aplomb, as always. He does note a slight change in tone, one bending more toward a friendly nature as opposed to Keryn's usual lilt of superiority. An interesting thought that painted a slight splash of color on the grey canvas that was Hravin's fugue as they walked.

Since his exile from Candlekeep, Hravin found himself lost, a ship adrift in a sea of shifting winds. His self-imposted studies turned to hushed subjects, surpressed knowledge often caged out of fear of what power it could manifest in the wrong hands. There is no surer way to enshroud one's self in a bleak worldview than to read only of its darkness. Curiosity about the happenings of shadows is, after all, what prompted his expulsion from Candlekeep, though if he had never answered his desire to peer into the secretive among his peers, the truth about the control of knowledge within the hallowed walls of the great library would never have been known.

Of course, that truth is still largely not known. Hravin wondered how his new companions would respond if he told them that the upper echelons of Candlekeep were hard at work manipulating the world using only information. They never alterred it, no, so there was no simple lie to detect and point to when it came to accusations. Instead, it was so carefully selected and so expertly delivered in the right places at the right times that the subtle nudges in the worlds of finance, politics and even entertainment recieved were imperceptable to anyone not paying enough attention. And certainly, nobody was paying enough attention.

Save, perhaps, for Denier. Something guided Hravin to this place, kept him from arriving in Elturel sooner as he had originally planned, resulting in him somehow being accepted by his new companions and able to act, to find a way to help, or, if it came to it, die trying. In that lies purpose, he supposed. A worthy cause in Denier's name.

His robe, tattered and road worn, hid his leathers and the amulet he'd worn for so many years as an empty gesture out of habit. He reached into the folds of his robe and drew it out, no longer worried about who might see. The open eye above a candle looked back at him, the small totem having imperfectly cut detail on a dull grey unassuming piece of stone. He stared at it, reminding himself of just who he was. A cleric of Denier, a bearer of truth, and seeker of knowledge.

Glott had carved it for him so many years ago, an idle project to practice some stonework on while he learned about various materials used in architecture. He found himself missing his brother, a surprise considering they had become estranged so slowly, almost without either of them realizing it was happening. Sure, there were spats here and there, the friction common to sibling relationships, especially when they both take such divergent paths in life, but still...their parting seemed almost...orchestrated.

He shook his paranoia loose. If one only dwells on speculation, one's imagination becomes the enemy he reminded himself.

Renewed, he walked with a clearer head. There was purpose to seize in his life now and he planed to grasp it with both hands.

Protect his companions. Find Glott. Rescue Elturel.

OOC

Okay, so he's a Cleric now. Huzzah!

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

At the mention of Gwen, Ippon looks around Keryn and squints at the half-orc, then her features widen into a smile. "Gwen? That you? I hardly recognized you with that weapon! Good to see you up and about again: looks like your work is cut out for you!" Pal scoffs. "Fortunately, it looks like trouble you can definitely cut." Ippon slaps his leg; the apprentice miller's smile does not wane until Keryn mentions N'Tel'Quessir and Vasha's inn. "Hastrine? Do you mean Hastrine? Are they ok?" spacer.pngIppon looks curiously at her apprentice, trying to understand Pal's sudden interest. "At least Vasha's alright, even if that bleeding heart doesn't deserve it. How's her husband? You didn't mention Segren. I assume a lemure is a kind of demon or devil or whatever the difference is?"

She shakes her head at the rest of the tale. "Whole place is going to the nether-gods, Waukeen's two bronze be praised. Those hoity-toities in Elturel always checking everyone else's businesses when clearly it was their own back yard they should be inquiring over. Not that I'm not religious, Waukeen be praised, but the self-righteousness was always a lot for me—not you, though, Gwen, you were always a sensible sort. You know what I'm talking 'bout." Gwen does, in fact, know. "Now I'm no fan of the Gate, but it's the safest place to be if there's fiendish sorts about. How about this: your Silvia sticks around and helps Pal and I load your cart, and we head on together, for safety's sake. Pal and I aren't sword-arms: we'd be sitting ducks and I'd be more comfortable with you leading us, Gwen, and your new friends here." Pal has a thought too. "What about Billiam?"spacer.png

Ippon squints at him; she hadn't thought of that. "You're right. Up on the hill, over the mill: there's a poet who lives in a cabin, kind of a hermit. Wants to be a historian, I think, but in verse. I haven't seen him. How about you lot go check on him and convince him to join us? We can handle the loading. By the sounds of it, we'll need as much as the cart can carry."

Pal nods in agreement, and Silvia nods too. "I'll help here. If... if you don't mind."

The trail splits, elevated up and descending down to the mill, which is not massive by any means but the creaking sound of the spinning water wheel is loud enough to get their attention. If they choose to head upward and onward, the cabin becomes apparent: a small, fairly newly built cabin sits in a small clearing with an idyllic view of the valley around, which is a set of gullies, cliffsides, and various other vistas that frankly make this a beautiful spot. In the distance, the hole that was Elturel continues to fill with water, almost to full; the river is no where near its banks now, given the sudden hole left to fill. Sitting at the front of the cabin, sideways in a chair, is Billiam, a gruff-looking but well-dressed rustic man who is in need of a shave, looking at a series of papers and editing something. He looks up for a moment, then back to his papers. "Can I help you?"

Out of Character

Initiative
Party

Moved us along to Billiam, it's supposed to be a choice but I figured I can make it a choice and move us along.

Moon Elf Rogue 

Keryn suppresses a sigh at the apprentice's ignorance of the elven tongue. They are, after all, still trying to make a good impression. "No, I do not mean Hastine. She would be Or'Tel'Quessir - a people of the wood. She was, however, there as well and unharmed. Segren is alive, thanks to the swift action of Gaerzil and Kilros here, as well as the attentions of Silvia."

"As to the exact nature of a lemure, I would have to defer to our self appointed wizard here," he inclines his head towards Gaerzil, "I have never had the time not inclination to study the various types of fiend. The fewer on this plane the better to my mind."

The Halfling continues to chatter away, clearly cursed with the 'gift of the gab', and Keryn largely tunes her out - picking up the salient points that they would travel altogether to the mill (not an unreasonable request), and collect more refugees on the way. Certainly an historian sounded more interesting company.

Keryn barely notices the ascent, his breathing remaining unlaboured as they creat the hill. He does make note of who else is likely to be interested in joining his morning calisthenics, and who distinctly should as well. He does, however, pause to take in the view, gaze lingering briefly on the conspicuous absence of Elturel. Some would say it improved the view.

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features: