Leonora Caracci, Sacred Blood Sworn To The Thrice-Damned

Oceane

• 2 weeks later...

leonoraPortrait.png.0f0c44f0859934e36c57c292b1682a6b.png

"I will protect you, and our land, our home, until the void takes me—understood?"

Basics
sheet link

Name: Leonora Estrella Caracci

Height: 178cm

Weight: 72kg

Race: Aasimar [Scion of Humanity, Truespeaker]

Class: Inquisitor [Sanctified Slayer]

Deity: Cheliax [Conversion Inquisition]

Traits: Thrune Informant, Rich Parents, Wary of Danger, Overprotective

Languages: Common (Taldane), Infernal, Halfling

Skills: Bluff (+8), Diplomacy (+8), Intimidate (+9), Religion (+4), Perception (+10), Sense Motive (+13), Linguistics (+3)

Appearance Personality Background

At a glance, Leonora is your typical Chelish rose: fair skin, black hair, sharp facial features, dark eyes and an air of superiority.

A closer look discloses her broad shoulders and athletic, wiry build: the result of years of hunting alongside her father Aromos.

Small scars pepper her face, highlights to her piercing gaze. Rare smiles grace her strong jaw—she radiates a silent, tranquil strength that's waiting for the littlest moment of respite in her prey to pounce.

In most cases, Leonora favors the green and gold adopted by her grandfather for their informal House; when she wears red and black, official business is afoot.

"Stern" barely captures Leonora.

Outside her homestead, she lives for her duty: fulfilling her role for her Queen and country. No nonsense, efficient, few words. While she's not bad company—unlike many of the people she's had to work with—company needs to be extracted from her cold exterior.

Behind this hides a mother's heart. Childless still, Leonora nonetheless inherited from her mother's instincts, and protection suffuses her whole being: what started with defending her sister Cadenza grew to a deep-seated desire to protect her home, and her partners, from any and all threats.

Deeper still, Leonora nurtures her ideal of a truly working-as-one Cheliax. She values cooperation and believes in a common goal and common greatness for all under Thrune. This wish makes her both more adept at accepting outsiders for the sake of furthering her mission, and more adept at converting heretics and foreigners to her country's ways.

<wip>

Edited by Oceane (see edit history)

Build looks good at first glance.

Good story as well, and I have questions.

So I see several things going on here. Family link to rebels character, always interesting, perhaps something that could be exploited, even though the two groups will likely never meet.

Aasimar, working for Thrune? Interesting. I'd like to explore more of the motivations of why someone with the blood of celestials might be willing to suffer the rule of Hell. Could provide a good plot twist indeed.

Inquisitor. Of particular faith? And is she under the employs of her church? Who does she actually work for? There's allusions to being loyal to Thrune's network of agents here…?

And nobility. How high up the social rungs are we talking? And whereabouts?

1 hour ago, iantruesilver said:

Aasimar, working for Thrune? Interesting. I'd like to explore more of the motivations of why someone with the blood of celestials might be willing to suffer the rule of Hell. Could provide a good plot twist indeed.

Inquisitor. Of particular faith? And is she under the employs of her church? Who does she actually work for? There's allusions to being loyal to Thrune's network of agents here…?

I want to make use of the Inquisitor's ability to not choose a deity, but an ideal—Leonora's ideal being her country, or maybe for a more fitting name, "Unity". She has the Conversion inquisition, because her job is to bring people into the fold of the Empire. In that sense, I made her a Thrune Informant, and generally very loyal to the Thrune House to convey the idea that she derives her powers from her secular fealty, not from her devotion to a deity.

It goes hand in hand with being an aasimar. Her family has always had celestial blood, and has always overcompensated against it to prove that despite it, they're still great, worthy subjects. For Leonora (and even for Cadenza), being an aasimar is their family's curse; wrought from long ago, and which some of her ancestors tried to leverage and channel to fight against Cheliax.

For Leonora in particular, it's also a proof of Unity: if she and her family, celestial-blooded people, can be invaluable to Cheliax, then anybody can, too.

I do want to play with the idea that despite the family propaganda, the blood of angels is hard to fight against, and is still a source of tension in Cheliax, should it be discovered. The whole principle of Unity that Leonora seeks reeks of goodness, and her attitude—protective, motherly, inclusive—could easily have her lean the other way. From a writing perspective, I got inspired by this article, and specifically number 3, the Dark Knight. Leonora is willing to go against the good that burns in her blood to protect what she loves: her country and the people in it.

And nobility. How high up the social rungs are we talking? And whereabouts?

I initially went for nobility, but switched to Thrune Informant. The Caracci family is rich—from mercantile endeavors I'd say—but I think they're not nobles just yet, or if they are, they're very bottom of the ladder, the kind you'd really need to be a clerk to know of.

They come from the Rikkan Ports area, where the Caracci family was able to make its fortune. Their homestead I'd say lies north of East Rikkan.

2 hours ago, iantruesilver said:

So I see several things going on here. Family link to rebels character, always interesting, perhaps something that could be exploited, even though the two groups will likely never meet.

My intent in an ideal world is to have the two exchange some letters as the APs go on. :)

I'll have a sheet up soon! It's a google sheet, is that alright, or do you prefer a MW one?