Argos: Angler's Spire

Morkskittar

spacer.png

Park Stadium | AspectsBloodline: Ardent

- Tough as Nails (4-Track Trait) - You’re a natural survivor. Rolls made to treat or heal an injury you're suffering from treat conflicts as triumphs.

- Ironclad Mind (4-Track Trait) - You are immune to hallucinations, mesmerics and mental compulsions.

Origin: Ridgeback

- Archaeodermis (2-Track Trait) - Your skin (or whatever you have as an outer covering) mimics the mountain you were raised on. You're immune to keen damage, as well as bites and stings from small creatures.

- Shamanic Idol (4-Track Gear) - Holds a sliver of power from a not-quite-god. Deals LR salt damage.

- Taste Test (4-Track Trait) - You're immune to poisons, and can determine their presence and characteristics by taste alone.

- Seasoned Cleaver (2-Track Gear) - As useful on the battlefield as it is in the galley. Deals CQ hewing damage. Increase impact when acquiring dangerous or disruptive specimens.
| EdgesGrace, Instinct & Tides | SkillsDelve: 0
Vault: 2
Wavewalk: 0
Hunt: 2
Study: 0
Sense: 3
Harvest: 3
Scavenge: 0
Tend: 2
Concoct: 0
Cook: 3
Rattle: 0
Flourish: 0
Outwit: 0
Sway: 0
Brace: 0
Break: 0
Hack: 0
 | LanguagesLow Sour | ResourcesCook Utensils (Salvage)
Bag of Spices (Specimen)
Tonic of Health (Specimen)
Liquid Fire (Specimen)
Carrion Weed (Specimen)

He never ate a carnivorous plant before. Should it taste more like a plant or an animal? Or possibly a plant with a flavor of meat? Really intriguing. It could possibly open a lot of other possible recipes.

But he definitively needs to study it before deciding what to do. So he wants a sample. Madly.

Park approaches the spring-fox to see if he can get the flower without triggering a flight attempt. He offers some food to gain its trust and slowly approaches with cat-like steps. And then he goes for it with a swift movement.

Actions

Try to grab the red flower from the spring-fox. If I need to roll, just say it.

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

While Tharr's eyes roved across the sea before them, Park focused instead on their springfox companion. It noticed his approach and shied away, its steps moving in perfect rhythm with its twitching tail. Park froze, and the fox sat again, staring into space. This time, the char approached from a different angle, held his breath, and quickly pluckedHarvest + Grace Roll: 1, 3, 4, 6, Triumph! the small red bloom from the fox's nose. Startled out of its reverie, the beast snapped at him and scuttled away across the deck, its tail still twitching rhythmically.

Park turned the bloom over in his hands; it was a very pretty, five-petaled flower with a small yellow center. Its roots were thin, fibrous, and bloody. He wondered briefly at how it had come to grow on the fox's nose; it seemed to be a fast-growing thing, and it was worrying that it could sprout from living tissue. Still, he could not help but wonder at its taste.

OOC

Specimen acquired: Manticore Bloom (Tiny)

spacer.png

Tharr shudders. "Around. We should go around. I would rather two Cudas than this. Three Cudas, even. Those blooms infest things that are not-plant. It will get in our brains. You should burn that flower, Park. No good can come of it."

spacer.png

- Tough as Nails (4-Track Trait) - You’re a natural survivor. Rolls made to treat or heal an injury you're suffering from treat conflicts as triumphs.

- Ironclad Mind (4-Track Trait) - You are immune to hallucinations, mesmerics and mental compulsions.

- Archaeodermis (2-Track Trait) - Your skin (or whatever you have as an outer covering) mimics the mountain you were raised on. You're immune to keen damage, as well as bites and stings from small creatures.

- Shamanic Idol (4-Track Gear) - Holds a sliver of power from a not-quite-god. Deals LR salt damage.

- Taste Test (4-Track Trait) - You're immune to poisons, and can determine their presence and characteristics by taste alone.

- Seasoned Cleaver (2-Track Gear) - As useful on the battlefield as it is in the galley. Deals CQ hewing damage. Increase impact when acquiring dangerous or disruptive specimens.
Bag of Spices (Specimen)
Liquid Fire (Specimen)
Carrion Poison (Specimen)
Manticore's Bloom (Specimen)

Your fear of dis fing gives me de creep. Ill try to be careful, but as my moder always said: "De best medicine comes from de most dangerous fings." Park says solemnly. He puts the Manticore Bloom in a closed container and stash it in his bag.

He was kind of disappointed. He was expecting to eat it right way to taste the exotic plant, but safety comes first. The concern of Mothryn troubled him. He definitively needs to spend some time studying it first before deciding the best way to eat this dangerous specimen safely. More specimens would help to perform more tests.

His mouth is salivating with the future prospect. And he could not hide that from his countenance.

And then he leaves to the galley to study this specimen over the oven.

Actions

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

image.png.e9bd38a928cc1b268ea54f10dc959139.png Atus stood at the helm listening to his crewmates as sparks danced merrily across his shoulders. He looked introspective, as much as you could tell with his rigid metal face and softly glowing eyes.

"Tharr. It occurs to me that perhaps we might consider looking at this plant as a resource. I witnessed the effect your arrows had with the spidersilk on the Cuda and how effective they were. You mentioned that within the grove is all manner of slain creatures, even a ship and crew. It would be a terrible weapon of course, but I cannot help imagining that should we encounter those cannibal pirates you are always talking about, a few arrows, cannonballs or maybe even grenades that could deploy this beast of a plant might come in handy. "

Atus looks down at his own metal body. "There is nothing organic in my body. I don't think I would be in danger of becoming a host, for the plant has nothing to feed upon."

Posted (edited)

The Argos remained at rest, Park having gone down belowdecks with his small sample to study it and Tolliver simply staring out at the flowers, lost in some reverie. The wind picked up again, a steady breeze beginning to blow across the grove toward the ship. Tharr and Tolliver were quickly overwhelmed by a thick, sweet smell that completely overpowered the rotting from before. Atus remained unmoved, but Tharr's keen eyes noted a cloud of fluffy seedpods dancing on the wind, heading in the rough direction of their ship.

With the seeds, the wind also brought a sound, from deeper within the flowery grove: it sounded like faint singing.

OOC

Going around is still very much a valid option here; Tharr is right to be wary. You can also detach Biff to do something if Atus wants to go snag some samples. Ultimately, right now Atus is in charge of the wheel. ;)

Until CraterShip posts, Tolliver is going to be entranced by the flowers and unresponsive... which may speak to the nature of the threat. :)

Edited by Morkskittar (see edit history)

image.png.e9bd38a928cc1b268ea54f10dc959139.pngSinging? That means intelligence. Atus took a second and really examined the situation as a foreboding sensation and row of sparks crept up his spine. Tolliver stood transfixed and Atus realized he'd never responded to his question about whether or not to go through or around. Tharr's keen senses urged the Mothryn to immediately flee. Park's hungry nature, demanded the Ardent taste the carnivorous red flowers.

Now this singing was the final clue. The Argos and all aboard the ship were being lured into a trap so something could feast on them. As the realization of imminent danger struck, pure instinct overtook him. Atus' spinning heart revved into a higher pitch, disappearing from audible range almost instantly. A cloud of sparks, curling in upon each other formed a halo of danger around his upper body. A heartbeat later his raised fist shot a wide bolt of lightning into the nearest patch of red flowers, the thunderclap drowning out the faint singing and roaring a challenge in return like a leviathan.

Not waiting for a response to his attack, Atus started the engines and kicked the Argos into evasive action, curling the ship in a tight circle away from the nearest patch of flowers and thorny vines.

"Tharr. Tie Tolliver to something and get on the lightning rail. Anything comes near us, burn it."

Atus then began to sing loudly, stomping his feet in time to the words, hoping he could nullify the intended effect of the distance voice.

"The crackle of your flowers
Burning in my power
Is music to my ears
You trying to bite me
Stupid, can't you see
I will break you into tears"

OOC & Actions

Actions - Atus fires off a lightning bolt into the nearest patch, starts the engines and takes evasive action.

Atus will continue to madly spit verse like he's battle rapping for his life. He's thinking that with his non-organic body and no sense of smell, the auditory lure of the Manticore is the only thing that might work on him.

Manticore's Rebuke

The crackle of your flowers
Burning in my power
Is music to my ears
You trying to bite me
Stupid, can't you see
I will break you into tears

Don't think this is a boast
I'll burn you into compost
Just forget 'bout this boat
So take my lightning rays
And take my tonsil glaze
As I spit down your throat

Else keep your mouth busy
and shut your lips strictly
All around my attitude
If you looking for a fight
I'll step up and smite
And you'll be the one chewed.

spacer.png

Bag of Spices (Specimen)
Liquid Fire (Specimen)

Park has barely time to reach the oven and start the fire, when suddenly the ship jerked to one side. He almost collapses to the floor. He is saved of a perilous fall only by his quick reflexes and his low gravity center.

Shit! - He thinks to himself. Just when he is about to have some fun, he is interrupted. What could possibly be happening above?

He returns to the deck above and peeks through the door at the scene unfolding before his eyes.

Actions

spacer.png

Red flowers spread across the green wavetops, seemingly calling to him, the beauty of the sight coupled with the alluring smell and new siren song pulled his mind deeper into a trance. Unable to pull his gaze from the beauty, he simply sat down on the edge of the Argos, dropping his feet over the edge, under a railing and draping his arms over the top.

It isn't until the thunderclap of Atus' shot and the sudden lurch of the ship he is able to pull himself back awake. He feels sluggish, like his mind is full of twisting vines he must cut through while they grow ever thicker in order to do even the simplest of tasks. He puffs air from his nostrils in an attempt to clear out whatever pollen may be affecting him and shakes his head.

With a final mental surge, he attempts to break free of the siren flowers and draws his Jag-Lash, and a defoliant grenade from his belt - ready to destroy any encroaching plant.

OOC

Posted (edited)

Canopy[X]-[X]-[ ]-[ ]

Journey to Angler's Spire

Atus – At the Helm and Rapping

Tharr – Freaking Out

Tolliver – On Watch and Seriously Freaking Out

Park – Still Enjoying Life

Tolliver had been dreaming as he stared out at the flowers, thinking how beautiful they were, and how he should help them grow. He imagined a massive red bloom growing before his eyes, and felt the urge to sing its praises and dance before it. That part of himself that hated greenery recoiled, but then something insidious spoke in the back of his mind: We are not greenery, we are reddery. Tolliver nodded to himself, nearly convinced, then realized with horror that his fingers were tapping a tune. Then came Atus' thunderclap. He stilled his fingers and with some effort heaved himself back to consciousness. Muscle memory took over, and he was on his feet, defoliants at hand, eyes narrowed. His head was still hazy, but he was back.

The Argos turned away from the grove before them and took a northward tackSpeed Roll with Volomotive Interface: 1, 3, 5, 6: Triumph! Only one box is added to the track. under Atus' direction, moving away from and around the copse of flowers and corpses, but keep it just in sight... just in case something happened.

As the ship got underway, Atus responded to the distant tune echoing through the grove with words of his own, set to a stronger meter than the chant-like melodies he had heard on the wind, calling out a rebuke and challenge to whatever lay deeper in the grove. As the last thunderous tumult of his words died down, there was an answer.

The voice that responded was multitudinous and deeply unsettling; it sounded like it came from a hundred mouths of all types, a quiet cacophony of buzzing, warbling, chittering, crunching, howling, and gnashing. It also sounded like it came from across the entire grove, and it sang in a bastardized, twisted version of low sour amalgamated and sung over with other tongues. Tharr and Atus recognized a few words in raka spit, and Tolliver a few gaudimm-like clicks; the voices seemed to be singing in a wide array of languages. The melody would have been soothing, had it not been sung by a horror of mismatched voices.

The Manticore's Song

Won't you lay down, come join us,
See her, praise her,
Worship with us, spread her seeds,
Free her, raise her.

Take care not to lose your way home
To us, to her,
Paradise awaits all who worship

Come worship her,
None turn away,
From her face glory can be found.
Come adore her,
You will come near,
And sing of her and become drowned.
Come dance for her,
Lay fertile ground,
Join us in worship and glory.

It was made more horrifying by the fact that Tolliver had begun singing it. Tharr, in a moment of panic, smacked the gau upside the head, and Tolliver came back to himself in a daze. His mind had been wandering again, lost in visions of red glory. The gau heard not horror, as the others did, but something beautiful. He realized he had taken another step towards the ship's edge again, and now that he was in control again, reeled himself backward.

Park emerged back on deck then, as annoyed with Atus' sudden movement away from the Grove as Tharr was relieved to be getting away from it. Park's sample was safely bottled up in the galley, and he stared wistfully over at the distant flowers. Then he looked over at Tolliver, and his eyes widened in a mixture of horror and delight. Tharr followed Park's gaze, and physically recoiled from Tolliver.

Growing from the back of Tolliver's neck was a red bloom, exactly the same as the one Park had taken from the spring fox, but larger. Park cast his eyes around for said spring fox, and caught sight of a blooming fox bounding rhythmically across the waves, deeper into the grove.

Atus remained oblivious to Tolliver's plight, his tempest-ridden brain already coming up with a response to the grove. Though, to be fair, the grove had not really responded to his rhymes, but had simply made its own maddening chanting understandable.

The Argos continued to sail away, and eventually reached the northernmost end of the Manticore grove, where it once again began its westward turn towards Angler's Spire.

OOC

A few interesting things resulting from this:

*Tharr and Tolliver are taking Mire from hearing the Grove chanting at them, and from Tolliver becoming infected. You can mark any Mire on your sheet; for Tharr, Ominous Omens Abound or I Fear Being Pulled Beneath the Waves seem appropriate, and for Tolliver, Everything needs a place would be quite... fitting. I will let you choose which mire to mark yourself, though. :) With only one box marked, the effects of Mire are only narrative/roleplay-based; your character's mind is troubled and they fall into bad habits related to said mire.

*Tolliver has a new trait: Manticore Infestation! As you travel, the track will fill up; while any boxes are marked, Disaster! results on tests will result in something briefly overriding Tolliver's mind, and more chilling affects may become apparent as the track climbs higher. It can be reduced by any mire-reducing action or recovery-related actions, which will also grant a Manticore Bloom (though it may be damaged). Others can also clear a box by taking a Harvest action, and gain a Bloom for themselves. :) Tolliver is likely deeply upset by this development, as he has become infected by the very greenery he hates. Or rather, reddery. There are ways to recover from this infestation; Park may be able to whip something up, but you may need specialized knowledge. Or perhaps you can use it to your advantage; some say that all blooms bow to the Tyrant.

*Atus has gained a Whisper related to their rap/chant battle: Botanical Sirensong. A fun note about Whispers: they can be spent in most situations to force me to twist the situation in a way related to the whisper, including to gain a benefit to your action.

Atus can take another parting verbal shot at the Grove (though not with the same reward :P ) and you can do something about Tolliver (or he can do something to himself), and then someone else should take the wheel and watch for the next stage of the journey. :)

spacer.png

Tharr spends the next few days in the rigging of the ship, as far away from the waves as he can get. He sets up a hammock far above the deck and comes down generally only to eat and relieve himself. (Although there is some debate about the latter. Something that looks like mothryn spoor is found on the on the deck one morning. Tharr vigorously denies any suggestion that it is his and instead blames the spring foxes.)

He also tends to Toliver assiduously, terrified of further infestation.

"This will not do. It must be controlled. Burned if necessary. This may hurt slightly. I apologize."

OOC: Tharr will Harvest + Sharps to clear Tolliver. He will destroy any Manticore Bloom specimen that comes of it. This is something he's not messing around with. If possible, he'd rather roll Sense + Veils to just exterminate the thing and not even bother with a specimen.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry Tolliver.

Edited by Dr Jackal (see edit history)
Name
Harvest + Sharps
repeat(1d6,2) 3,1
If Sense + Veils, include this die
1d6 3

image.png.e9bd38a928cc1b268ea54f10dc959139.png

As the grove does the creepy fanatic chanting, Atus redoubles his efforts to drown out the sound, slamming his metallic feet down like hammers upon the deck and yelling his countersong at full volume. He even punctuates his verses with additional thunder and lightning. The amount of vicious bile in his reply is palpable. Perhaps it is the thought of being hunted, or the danger to his friends, but he does not hold back on his verbal counterattack.

When finally the chanting and red foliage disappears he relaxes his volotomotive interface and takes stock of the situation. As he becomes aware of Tolliver's condition he hangs his head in apparent shame.

"Forgive me Tolliver, I should have been more aware of the danger. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Atus appears genuinely distraught and looks back towards where the red fields were hidden behind them, the meaning of the chanting running through his mind. "Such foulness. Such slavery of minds and bodies, just to become food. Nature is cruel sometimes. Yet I find myself agitated by this. I would dearly like to destroy this infestation upon the green sea. "

OOC

Just curious. Was there a spectral element to the chanting? I imagine that feeding on corpses might create ghosts. I think Atus would feel that if the Manticore Bloom is making ghosts and slaving them herself, he would see this as particularly heinous. To the extent that he would make it his personal mission to utterly destroy the Manticore and give peace to her victims.

spacer.png

Tolliver's mind continues to ring with the siren song of the blooming red flowers, even as the actual song fades in the distance and Atus' chants replace the worldly sounds. He tries to distract himself, listening to the beat of his friend's song, hearing the churn of the sawprows, but even the blowing of the wind and the rustle of the waves below seem to resonate the same otherworldly voice. With Tharr's musings over his condition, Tolliver sits on a nearby crate of supplies, allowing the mothryn to pluck at the flower growing from his neck. Perhaps Park can figure something to do with it? Though the small fire following Tharr's clearing tells him there won't be a specimen to check.

"I can continue watch," he tells the others, though he wonders if they would question his perception if another bloom arises, "I won't take the wheel until this is cleared though," hopefully that will keep him from being driven to enter such a place and endanger others. For now, it would be his burden to bear.

OOC

spacer.png

Bag of Spices (Specimen)
Liquid Fire (Specimen)

When Park arrives fully onto the deck, with his cherished cleaver in one hand and his mysterious idol in the other, practically everything was solved already. He notices the new sample of the Manticore's seed, and he jumps to catch it and contain the thing inside an appropriate containment. More samples are better for his study.

He sympathizes with his companion affliction. He puts his hand on his shoulder with some difficulty due to his size and solemnly says. Dont worry. Ill do somefing about it.

He descends again to his research place, over the oven, as he does not have a better place to work for now. He enjoyed life too much recently, now he have brain work to do.

Actions

Unfortunately this is not the time for Park to take the helm, unless there is no other option. He will be spending his time first acquiring the knowledge about the Manticore's seed, to later try to solve Tolliver's problem, which I believe will take some time.

Posted (edited)

Tharr's incredible discomfort with the infestation that has taken (literal) root in Tolliver manifests as a rather violent plucking - or rather, yanking - of the red flower blooming from Tolliver's back. Tharr pulls hard enough to leave a visible ripNo actual damage, but a failure to clear a mark from Tolliver. in the gau's fungal flesh, and Tolliver grimaces in pain. Park, seeing Tharr toss the shredded remnants of the flower to the deck, hurriedly rushes up and gather them together and put them in a jarPark has now gained a Manticore Bloom (Shredded)., muttering something about not wasting the petals.

As Park vanishes belowdecks again, Tolliver and Tharr stare out at the field of red blooms to port. Atus' counterchant grows louder, until he sounds like a storm himself and Tolliver and Tharr are wincing as his voice and thunderous punctuations begin to approach levels of permanent hearing loss. Atus' strategy seems to have worked; the chanting from the grove grows quiet, and then silent, until Tharr signals the ironbound to follow suit. Then there is only an eerie silence. Atus considers the grove of red flowers; it is large, and eliminating it would be a task for more than one ship, he fears; Tharr himself had even spotted a ship deeper inside it that had fallen prey to it, or perhaps their own hubris.

The voice of the tempest inside him had a niggling thought: Flowers burn. Fire burns. Lightning can make fire. He glanced thoughtfully at the storm-rail, the rational voice inside him countering: Fire spreads. Fire is eternal. Fire kills.

Title

If you do decide to carry on and not hang about the Manticore Grove any longer, someone other than Atus needs to take the helm and chart a course away... and as Park and Tolliver have both stated they do not want it, that leaves Tharr if he is willing to take it. :P Tolliver will stay on watch, and Park will be analyzing the manticore sample it sounds like, leaving Atus to do what he wills. If Atus decides to listen to the voice of the tempest and try to set the grove ablaze (by shooting a particularly dry path with the storm-rail), risking birthing a colossal firestorm, that will not count as their journey action. :P

Journey Options

• At the Helm (Required, Can't be Atus): Cut a path (1 box), Forge ahead (2 boxes, allowing you to reach Angler's Spire after a brief encounter that will give you little warning to prepare), or Weigh anchor (pause for a bit and linger longer around the Manticore Grove, having a montage or venturing further in at great flowery risk).

• On Watch (Required, Tolliver): Keep a lookout for opportunities and dangers. Roll a d6.

• Tend the Engine (Optional): Be ready in case something goes wrong to give the ship extra help or boosts.

• Cartographize (Optional): Work on a chart of Karaxes Range.

• Weatherwatch (Optional): Keep an eye on that pesky weather and roll a d6.

• Create (Optional): Make a gadget or meal using the standard creation rules by combining two resources and taking the appropriate test.

• Night Farm (Optional): Acquire a fungal specimen.

• Milk Venom Sac (Optional): Gain a Cuda Venom sample.

• Analyze Manticore Bloom Sample (Optional, Park): Take a Harvest + Tides test and consume one of your two samples to try and understand what this flower is. You can also take a Cook + Tides instead, to gain a different type of knowledge about the flower. This will also start a longer-term project in the form of a track that can be filled to find a cure. :)