General Discussion

Laird_Thorne

After skimming the rulebook a good bit, I feel like I pretty much already know what character I want to play, at least in mechanical terms; I saw the Looker archetype and immediately started brainstorming. It seems from the name it's supposed to be more the sort of spy movie femme-fatale, but I'm a guy that wants to play a guy and also think it'd be amusing to basically just play a typical Yakuza game character lol

Edited by Sizniche (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Sizniche said:

After skimming the rulebook a good bit, I feel like I pretty much already know what character I want to play, at least in mechanical terms; I saw the Looker archetype and immediately started brainstorming. It seems from the name it's supposed to be more the sort of spy movie femme-fatale, but I'm a guy that wants to play a guy and also think it'd be amusing to basically just play a typical Yakuza game character lol

Sounds good. :) The basis on this is that you're part of a non-governmental agency. What would have led them to recruit a Yakuza-type? :)

Also, regarding the archetype name, would you have any idea as what might fit better as a non-Gender-biased name?

Edited by Laird_Thorne (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Sounds good. :) The basis on this is that you're part of a non-governmental agency. What would have led them to recruit a Yakuza-type? :)

Also, regarding the archetype name, would you have any idea as what might fit better as a non-Gender-biased name?

Not sure you could do better than Looker, actually. I guess it's more the general vibe than just the name; like, I assumed what it's "going for", so it might just be a me thing.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. After all, it's clearly not dissuading me from playing a male Looker :P

As for why he'd be hired... I'll think on that one a bit. I've got a few ideas, but I'll have to think them through a bit.

Since I think I get the gist of the character creation rules, I could whip up the hard mechanics of my character right now if you want. (though since Archetypes and Training Packages dont seem to be finished, he'll only be a Looker Brute in spirit :P)

As for other feedback, I will say about the Gear section something I noticed. Since I can tell the Agent's Attache Case is a From Russia With Love reference, I would advise you that 50 gold sovereigns from 1963 is worth dramatically more than 50 modern USD, and not just due to inflation; the gold in those coins alone was worth more than the face value even at the time. If you wanted to more accurately capture the spirit of it but use American coinage, the closest modern equivalent (at least in terms of gold content) seems to be a quarter-ounce American Gold Eagle coin. (source: https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/american-eagle/gold-bullion)

Though, I suppose there may be balance reasons to not give $25k worth of gold to the party lol

Edited by Sizniche (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Sizniche said:

Since I think I get the gist of the character creation rules, I could whip up the hard mechanics of my character right now if you want. (though since Archetypes and Training Packages dont seem to be finished, he'll only be a Looker Brute in spirit :P)

As for other feedback, I will say about the Gear section something I noticed. Since I can tell the Agent's Attache Case is a From Russia With Love reference, I would advise you that 50 gold sovereigns from 1963 is worth dramatically more than 50 modern USD, and not just due to inflation; the gold in those coins alone was worth more than the face value even at the time. If you wanted to more accurately capture the spirit of it but use American coinage, the closest modern equivalent (at least in terms of gold content) seems to be a quarter-ounce American Gold Eagle coin. (source: https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/american-eagle/gold-bullion)

Though, I suppose there may be balance reasons to not give $25k worth of gold to the party lol

Well, as far as not being complete, that's part of the brainstorming I'm looking for to flesh out the Pride, Weakness and Relationship. I did not realize so many of the Training package entries were still blank. I'm open so suggestions for the Brute entries, as well as others. :)

I did not think about that... I appreciate it. I think the Eagles would be a better fit. :)

I haven't had much of a chance to go through the full doc as of yet. Been busy with work, life, a bittersweet visit to a brewery/taproom that's closing as of today, and fighting off a raging cold that will turn into my usual chest crud in a matter of days.

I do have a couple of character concepts... maybe upwards of four or five. Okay, they may be "inspired by" (read: ripped off from) characters from other sources. I'm hoping this agency, though based in the UK, would not have trouble with bringing in operatives from other countries.

As for mechanics... working on that. I take extra care to look at the firearms section of any game, as that's in my wheelhouse (longtime study). Same with martial arts.

I'd actually like to see how this system could apply to something akin to a CoC setting. That's been on my brain as of late, thanks to my annual re-listen to The Lovecraft Investigations, especially since the fourth series recently dropped.

I'll advise further as I go through the doc.

6 hours ago, TheDude2371 said:

I haven't had much of a chance to go through the full doc as of yet. Been busy with work, life, a bittersweet visit to a brewery/taproom that's closing as of today, and fighting off a raging cold that will turn into my usual chest crud in a matter of days.

I do have a couple of character concepts... maybe upwards of four or five. Okay, they may be "inspired by" (read: ripped off from) characters from other sources. I'm hoping this agency, though based in the UK, would not have trouble with bringing in operatives from other countries.

As for mechanics... working on that. I take extra care to look at the firearms section of any game, as that's in my wheelhouse (longtime study). Same with martial arts.

I'd actually like to see how this system could apply to something akin to a CoC setting. That's been on my brain as of late, thanks to my annual re-listen to The Lovecraft Investigations, especially since the fourth series recently dropped.

I'll advise further as I go through the doc.

I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on all the above. :)

Also, regarding the CoC like setting, Free League Publishing has Vaesen - Nordic Horror Roleplaying on drive thru for Free I think through today. All I can tell, it's got a similar CoC feel to it, and I believe it uses the d6Only version of the YZE rules... I picked it up, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. :)

16 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on all the above. :)

Also, regarding the CoC like setting, Free League Publishing has Vaesen - Nordic Horror Roleplaying on drive thru for Free I think through today. All I can tell, it's got a similar CoC feel to it, and I believe it uses the d6Only version of the YZE rules... I picked it up, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. :)

I obtained it yesterday and started to give it a go-through. I don't always like playing games that are set in the past, but it looks pretty good so far. I'd have given it a good go through, but work interfered with that.

I've narrowed my options to two concepts, both semi-inspired by characters from TLI, but would be quite usable in this campaign. There's a backup option, shamelessly inspired by a favorite from Leverage.