The Frozen Stag Tavern

SithShrink

Welcome to the Frozen Stag. This is where we will meet for OOC conversations and announcements.

Expectations:

• Play nicely and be kind and respectful.
  • If there is a triggering topic and you need me to move past it either post here or DM me, whichever is more comfortable.
  • Post when you can. I would love a couple of times a week, but you can post more often if you have something to add as RP. If you have to be away, just let me know. I am letting you know that I will be in Disney from the 4th to the 11th, so that may be some prime RP time or a little break, whichever you fancy.
  • if you have a question about a ruling, I am open to that. Please be respectful and show me in RAW where I made a mistake. If I did it on purpose, I’ll let you know. If I made a genuine mistake, I have no problem acknowledging it. I play this, Pathfinder, Tunnels and Trolls Adventures, Solitaria, Call of Cthulhu. I am also learning Marvel Multiverse, GI Joe, and Transformers. Sometimes the rules get mixed up in my mind.

• if you have a problem with another player, try to talk it out with them. If you need me involved, involve me. We should all have fun, but sometimes personal issues arise. I believe in taking care of them to get everyone on track.

• Communicate! Don’t let things fester. Don’t stay quiet when you have a concern or an idea. Everyone has valid ideas and yous might open the door or defeat the monster.

I think that is most of it! Have fun!

Thanks for the invite. This will be an interesting party. 2 clerics, a druid with a 19AC, a wizard, a bard, a barbarian and a ranger.

I'll be playing Chut, a bugbear ranger and guide for your mountain adventures. He's short on cash and needs to find work, and while he seems like he's tough and heartless, he's really a teddy bear :)

It's nice to see some of you again and to meet the rest of you. Let's have some fun!

A little about me…I live in Pennsylvania with my wife, daughter, and five cats. I am retired due to disability, but was working early in my disability to move from IT to clinical counseling. I was down to my internship when COVID started, so switched to a master’s in psych. I also have bachelor’s in IT and psych.

I like to be busy, so I have a bunch of hobbies. Along with D&D, I do solo gaming and am starting a YouTube channel. I 3D print, mostly RPG things and yarn tools, but am expanding to model trains and doll houses. I sell them on my ETSY shop. I also knit and crochet, and play several stringed instruments. Oh, I also play video games (mostly JRPG’s) and read.

I have been playing TTRPGs since the mid-80s. I started with AD&D and the red box. I also played DC, Marvel Superheroes, and Indiana Jones. My friend and I were working on a Silverhawks RPG when we learned about trademarks and licensing. We instead bought the James Bond RPG. I have played D&D 2e, 3e, 3,5e, and 5e. I just started learning Call of Cthulhu for solo play, Marvel Multiverse, Transformers, and GI Joe. I also play both Tunnels and Trolls Adventures and Four Against the Darkness solo. I am thinking of picking up GURPS because there are a few Conan solo adventures.

You all don’t have to do this if you’ve not comfortable sharing, I just like players to know the insanity they’ve signed on for!

Thanks for the invite as well! I was very happy to see both a druid and ranger in the party given the environment.

I think our two clerics will complement each other well. Rodrick (dragonborn cleric) will be our peaceable healer, fighting when needed, while Liene is more of a front liner, healing if she has to. I imagine she can serve as a mount for perhaps Jinabi when out of combat and maybe carry one of the other melee fighters when in. (If they like that idea.)

Chut and Liene are in the same boat in terms of being cash-strapped. They're even a little similar in how they present themselves, although Liene is more brusque than heartless. She means well, but just doesn't have all of the social niceties down, plus she is still grieving her dead mate and trying desperately not to bother anyone with that, so on a bad day, she might be a bit testy. She can bring the toughness when needed, though, provided it's an Intimidate (STR) check!

I've only played with Rin, our bard's player, before, so looking forward to getting to know the rest of you and having some fun! (And I'm stoked we both made this one, Rin!)

@SithShrink  Just to let you know, I am unable to access the Sheets area on this site. I've not used it since the conversion to Baldr as I prefer doing my character sheets elsewhere when possible. The only thing I saw in the Baldr documentation was to be sure to use the email address you signed up with, which I do and it gets me into the main site just fine.

Are you aware of a trick for being able access that area? Or alternately, would you be opposed to my linking to a D&D Beyond character sheet, as I definitely prefer to play from that? I can do a link to that on my posting template easily enough.

P.S. I have a background in IT and an interest in psychology as well, as you might have guessed from the fact that I wanted to weave grief in as part of Liene's story. (I'll be quick to admit, though, I have no formal training in psychology). It was kind of fun to think about some ways to weave grief into her story that fit the environment we'll be playing in while still keeping her quite viable as an adventuring heroine. (But I am a bit of a nerdy girl that way 🙃).

1 minute ago, SithShrink said:

All characters begin the adventure with a free set of cold weather clothing in addition to the starting equipment they receive from their class and background choices. See “Winter Survival Gear”, for more information about cold weather clothing.

Ooh! This gets me 10 gp back, then! I used my BG's starting gold to buy it when I made the character.

Spit take!

Im in? IM IN!!! Whoo-hahahahahahahaha! I promise to not fireball all of you and the enemies in a small room!

So, about me! I am a chaotic little dice goblin who has been playing TTRPG's (almost 100% pbp) for the better part of 10 years on and off. I have had so many jobs... starting out in IT. I went to MYCC for an handful of certs at the begining of my career days but lost love for the environment i worked in. I have bounced around and through may jobs. I often fight the big sad and find have a multitude of hobbies to help process my emotions, INCLUDING: crochet, just started knitting, videogames, anime, working out, considering the fabric of the universe and advanced physics... and I have three puppies!

I live with my parents, all our names on the house and we are remodeling my part of the basement as our current house project.

Checks list of things I feel its ok to share with relative strangers.

I think thats about... it!

@SithShrink

I just looked up whether there is any equivalent to snowshoes and crampons for horses and while there are crampon equivalents, it was implied they aren't really needed unless the horse has hoof or foot issues. They also said that greasing the bottom of the feet with something like Crisco can help prevent 'snowballing' which is when a little ball of snow builds up in the middle of the hoof's bottom surface and eventually gets so big that it prevents the foot from gaining traction.

Could we say that 2 gold - which is the price of 1 pair of crampons - would buy enough greasy substance (walrus blubber, maybe?) to last Liene for the entire adventure? There's really not a snowshoe equivalent for horses, but if we wanted to make one up, I'd happily pay 4 gold - the cost of 2 pairs of snowshoes - for it. Thoughts?

50 minutes ago, tbgg said:

@SithShrink

I just looked up whether there is any equivalent to snowshoes and crampons for horses and while there are crampon equivalents, it was implied they aren't really needed unless the horse has hoof or foot issues. They also said that greasing the bottom of the feet with something like Crisco can help prevent 'snowballing' which is when a little ball of snow builds up in the middle of the hoof's bottom surface and eventually gets so big that it prevents the foot from gaining traction.

Could we say that 2 gold - which is the price of 1 pair of crampons - would buy enough greasy substance (walrus blubber, maybe?) to last Liene for the entire adventure? There's really not a snowshoe equivalent for horses, but if we wanted to make one up, I'd happily pay 4 gold - the cost of 2 pairs of snowshoes - for it. Thoughts?

Sure thing!

51 minutes ago, Taigains said:

Spit take!

Im in? IM IN!!! Whoo-hahahahahahahaha! I promise to not fireball all of you and the enemies in a small room!

So, about me! I am a chaotic little dice goblin who has been playing TTRPG's (almost 100% pbp) for the better part of 10 years on and off. I have had so many jobs... starting out in IT. I went to MYCC for an handful of certs at the begining of my career days but lost love for the environment i worked in. I have bounced around and through may jobs. I often fight the big sad and find have a multitude of hobbies to help process my emotions, INCLUDING: crochet, just started knitting, videogames, anime, working out, considering the fabric of the universe and advanced physics... and I have three puppies!

I live with my parents, all our names on the house and we are remodeling my part of the basement as our current house project.

Checks list of things I feel its ok to share with relative strangers.

I think thats about... it!

I did IT for 20 years, even being CIO of a small startup. Mostly I ran the support services. How long have you been crocheting?