NIGHTFALL

Tete-Kano's mind strained against some invisible veil, a winking eye in the sky, and in the void it opened to a machine, a machine that offered directions, guidance. It was a subtle effect, not a conscious thing, but like the Rayjo before it was a channel for thought beyond words, a communication of will alone. This was <Contact>. The place of Dark Metal opened up before them, an image in their mind's eye of a woman with a single long, spiraling horn that projected from her darkly-colored suit. The room she sat in was well-lit by contrast, bathed in an orange glow from what seemed like riotous flames tamed into heatless square shapes and set within the metal walls. She sat upon a low mat upon the ground, surrounded by projections of light, images, words that danced upon thin air.

<I hear you, Tete-Kano of the Ayr; I am Herald Officer Yulka of Talviott, Communications Officer of the Vessel Nightfall. Congratulations, and Welcome. I...we...suppose I should introduce us - We are those who fight - The Heralds of Nightfall. We held the line while the others who could not fight fled...right into the Lands where the Sunken lurk. We had no choice - the other path crossed a fully oceanic segment. We do not...lead, anymore, though we warn the Operators, the Minds down below, where we can. Our people are receptive to Will, you must understand. But it is not our providence alone - your Mind is a testament to that.>

She spoke with no voice but her will, but that was enough.

<You have done much to shepherd and host those who were most vulnerable, and those among us in a position to see such things from our perch among the stars thank you. Now, you have reached us - and we offer to teach you what we know, as emissaries of our peoples. But there will be time for that: Surely you have many questions.>

A sense of genuine warmth bleeds through the cold words. This is <Contact>, and it goes beyond language, beyond interaction. Only a diamond will and discipline keep both <Minds> apart, neither crushing nor overwhelming the other. This must have been what was meant when she said that <Contact> with an untrained mind was dangerous.

<I will answer you to the best of my ability.>

Edited by BladeofOblivion (see edit history)