Chapter 1: A Grey Beginning (Group 2)

Anthr4xus

TokenofKnight.png.de234c18cb6ebd84fc5012b5ecabde96.png

Kain Dorset

Noble Knight

AC: 19 (Chain & Shield) | HP: 13/13 (1d10+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 14, Insight 12, Investigation 12

Proficient Skills: Athletics (+6), Perception (+4), Survival (+4), History (+4), Persuasion (+3)
Str: 19 (+4) | Dex: 15 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 15 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 13 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Dwarvish

“My words,” Kain Dorset says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Sir Kain Dorset thinks. | My actions . . .

Kain has been looking back at Oma's place for some time, the cogs turning in his head, his hand firmly on his sword, ready to go fight in a moments notice. Then he sighs, releasing his sword and rubbing his temples. He moves in front of the group and holds up a hand, signaling he wishes to speak.

"Look, I think we need just a moment to speak. I *was* all ready to go kill Oma for what she has done, and believe me I still am, but *only* if we have a plan that actually makes sense! First, we need a leader, someone who can command the battle and shift the plan should it fail. We need to take account of our gifts or powers or whatever you want to call them. It also looks like you all need some basic magic education. Most charm spells do not require you to hear for it to take hold. The mud in your ears will not help, only hinder should we need to communicate."

Kain looks back once more for a moment before returning his eyes to the group. "The second thing we need is information to for that plan and I have some for you all. Oma is a Hag. Not sure what kind but everything lines up, she is some kind of a hag, maybe even a half-breed. She has a lair too, I saw it while you all were charmed. I believe Oma, as a hag, will be down in her lair should we go charging in there right now as she must be aware the charm wore off, and as cunning as hags are, she would assume we would go after her. Knowing these bits of information, lets hear a plan before we rush in and trigger her trap."

OOC

Movement: —

Action:  —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

Ardir Hálilúëa

Humble Farrier, Shadar-Kai Barbarian

AC: 15 (AC Bonus) | HP: 15/15 (1d12+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 10

Kain receives a sullen glare. "Pardon milord, fer me lack of ahrcain edgeoocayshun. It's just that while I know a wizard's incantation may influence me regardless of my hearing, I've met bards enough that the magic of songs only work on those hearing them."

Then Ardir grimaces, "But yeah, if she's in some lair rather than that hovel, we might meet a rough end by charging into a darkness that only a few of us can see into, and stumbling into whatever traps a hungry trickster leaves about. Seeing as only you saw the way into her lair, perhaps you've a notion? I was going to try knocking on her door again- unless she's a diviner, she might come up, hoping for a lone traveler. Must be hungry, after working up an appetite for Harin here."

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

AC: 11 (Unarmored) | HP: 8/8 | Speed: 20 ft. (Encumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 14
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 9 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestial, Gnomish, and Halfling

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions . . .

Haakon takes a second to have the dirt squirm out of his orifices and asks someone to repeat what Kain had said.

“Okay, here's the deal... I got nothing either. Under this mighty monsoon, I'd rather not part with any of you. Since you know so much about this purveyor of bone meal, why not advocate for yourself and propose what you have in mind?”

“Would this, by any chance, support our argument to push forward?”

OOC

Action:

Spellbook

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Encumbrance: 70.5 lbs (60lbs/120lbs/180lbs)

Tysh scoops the mud from her ears as everyone speaks, turning her head in the rain to help clean them out. She looks between all of her companions, a deep frown on her face. They have been going back-and-forth for some time now, and it is wearing on her patience. The weather is worsening, the group is paralyzed by indecision, and Raven just disappeared into the Mist - which nobody seemed to notice. Tysh clenches her jaw.

"We have to make a choice. Standing here in the rain outside of a hag's hovel is not the most intelligent thing to do. We have Harin who is hell-bent on charging in there, we have Kain who is encouraging caution, and we have Ardir so angry that he will throw his weight behind whatever we choose. Raven was just swallowed by the Mist. Did nobody see that? This indecision has to stop. We are wasting precious daylight. I don't know about you all, but I don't want to be in unfamiliar territory after dark and I certainly don't want to be taken again by the Mist."

She looks at Oma's makeshift shelter and then back to the party.

"Sir Kain does make a very good point. As much as I'd like to take care of this problem right now, it does not make sense for us to do so. She is obviously very powerful, and we cannot allow our emotions to override our rationality. Like Haakon, I do not wish to part with any of you, but I will make the decision: I'm leaving. Join me if you like, but know this: if we do not stand together, then we risk Raven's fate, the fate of the Elf we just buried, or a worse death at the hands of the undead. It is time to go."

Tysh shoulders her backpack and turns to leave. She looks back at her companions, hoping her words have influenced them.

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

With Tysh already starting to move, the discussion quickly died down, and the group began moving back out to the road to Silbervas. Harin's eyes swept the forest and the road, every landmark and notable feature burning into his phenomenal memory. Even if no one else did, Harin would know how to find the spot to turn off the road to reach Oma's hovel. No scents of bread and only the faintest hint of the stew was still detectable. Whatever the suspicious old woman was doing, it seemed that she was no longer attempting to attract wanderers. Maybe there was some small solace in that.

As the distance back to Oma's hovel increased, the rain began to lessen. Over the course of the next hour of walking, it lessened from a torrential downpour to merely a soft drizzle to finally nothing. The thunder continues to roll as the heart of the storm moves to the south. The grey clouds overhead did not break, but the light breeze that followed the storm helped dry clothing and equipment as the group continued to walk. The light was growing faint, and it was obvious to everyone that there was no way to get to Silbervas before the sun set. Those of you familiar with the area are fairly sure that you could probably make it with no more than another two or three hours of travel, but walking the roads at night is always a major concern.

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Encumbrance: 70.5 lbs (60lbs/120lbs/180lbs)

Tysh looks up at the sky, noting the diminished rain and fading sunlight. She turns to her companions. They are all drenched and, if they feel anything like Tysh does, they are fatigued from a long day of travel and activity.

"How much further do you think we have left before we reach Silbervas, Ardir? Should we make camp or press on?"

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

@Kail_Traeganni - Tysh asked Ardir a question.

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 9 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestial, Gnomish, and Halfling

With the torrent dying down, Haakon finds a moment to dry and make neat the troupe. Coming up to Harin, he tries to offer comfort. “It may not mean much to assuage your distress but it bears repeating, we will come back. We will be prepared. She will not be forgotten.”

OOC

Action: Prestidigitation to unspoil the group.

Spellbook

Ardir Hálilúëa

Humble Farrier, Shadar-Kai Barbarian

AC: 15 (AC Bonus) | HP: 15/15 (1d12+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 10

Through long hours of trekking through the rain, grim and dejected from loss of a companion and indecision after bewitchment, Ardir's face had been stone.

Your mind was weak. You wanted the illusion. The easy path. Lucky nobody died... oh right, Raven may well have.

Part of his mind mocks him even as he answers Tysh's question. "A few hours... best to meet whatever we find there in daylight. Let's find a good place off the road to make camp."

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 30 ft. (unencumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

Harin can't take on such a monster by himself. And with the troupe moving on, Harin has no choice but to follow. As his rage turns to frustration turns to hopelessness and fades, his level head returns. He remembers his teacher's words and wrestles back control over his runaway emotions. With the return of his logic, he commits every detail he can of the area and how to return there to memory. He even starts thinking of possible strategies and angles of attack. He makes no vow to himself to return, he knows how dangerous a vow can be, but he holds a small ember of rage deep inside, warm enough to keep alive the hope of one day returning to do the right thing. And this time, for the right reasons. Not revenge, just for the common good. Whether he was sent to this hellscape by the mist for a reason or not, he will do what good he can.

As he broods, he remains quiet. When the unnamed wizard offers words of comfort, he only responds with, "Thanks," and a small but genuine smile.

OOC

Action: —

Edited by zaffo (see edit history)

The group ranges about a little and fairly quickly finds a small grove and clearing just off the road. This small space not only gives some shelter from the trickling rain, but shows obvious signs of having been used as a campsite before. A nicely arranged fire ring of rough stones sits in the center of shelter offered by the grove and there are clear marks, even in the fading light, of places where tent pegs have been placed so often that the punctures between the roots of the trees were near permanent features of the soil.

Quietly the group moves into the clearing of the grove and out of the rain.  Everyone took a few minutes to check out the area, but nothing significant of note is found by anyone.  That is until Tysh went to the fire ring to begin building up a cook fire.  She happened to glance down into the inside of the fire ring and noticed a thin line of fine arcane symbols etched on the inside of the stones of the fire ring. The etching streaked with fine elements of white and silver, only noticeable in the growing darkness by the glinting from the groups light sources.

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)
Name
Ardir investigation
1d20+0 5
Haakon Investigation
1d20+4 2
Harin Intvestigation
1d20+1 8
Kain Investigation
1d20+4 3
Scarby Investigation
1d20-1 1
Tysh Investigation
1d20+1 18

• 2 weeks later...

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

Haakon hobbled his way, the group having chanced upon an old campgrounds. He can finally breathe better without the weight of the storm before. While he would have preferred a dwelling of hewn stone, beggars can't be choosers.

He lets his hair down, helping with the group's creature comforts and setting up camp.

He was tempted to fill the silence more than once, but pushed the urge down. Perhaps time for contemplation is what the doctor ordered. He mulls about what he could have done better with the noise and the column of smoke. That crossroad could have possibly costed them Raven. There are also questions left unanswered. Like the mystery of how they got here, what was the test or puzzle exactly back in the Wightwatcher, and how far away are they from Lekar.

There seems to be a significant distance between them and the enforcers of this place. This could be an opportunity to question what they have taught him thus far.

OOC

Action:

Spellbook

As the group began to set up camp, the forest around them slowly shifted into a nighttime cacophony of insects and rustling of leaves and needles among the branches. The transition to full dark was very quick among the trees, especially as no one has built up a fire or anything yet. Faint wisps of mist and fog seemed to begin crawling in among the undergrowth as the darkness deepens with each passing moment. Soft, cool winds stirred the branches and the low grasses of the clearing.

• 2 weeks later...

The oppressive feeling of the foggy forest had a stifling effect on conversation and the group fell quiet as they worked to setup tents and prepare camp. This strange silence continued even onto the cold dinner that Kain's retainers coordinated among everyone. Even those who had eaten at Oma's were hungry again, and the stomachs of those who hadn't were often the loudest noise in the camp until the food was prepared.

After eating, as everyone was settling down to the bed, questions were raised on if anyone was going to keep a watch. Given the darkness and oppressive general quite of the deep forest, how effective keeping a watch for most of the humans in the group would even be was an open question.

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 30 ft. (unencumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

"I'll take first watch," Harin offered curtly. It didn't matter if someone offered to take the other watches or not, he would stay up all night if needed. Although he was sure their situation, not to mention the weather, was the main cause of the general malaise that hung heavy over the group, he couldn't help but think the underlying root was his own foolishness. It was he himself that had insisted on investigating the smoke in the woods that led to their encounter with Oma, which led to him needing to be rescued while endangering the rest of the party. And somewhere in the chaos Raven had been swallowed by the mists. Would she still be with us if he hadn't taken that ill-fated detour? And then he had made himself more the fool for his childish outburst about what to do about Oma. Now the mood was soured. He wasn't regretful, he couldn't see what he would have done any differently given the same choices again without the benefit of foresight, but that didn't make him any less disappointed in himself. Perhaps taking watch, offering some common usefulness, could do something to heal the group's mood. Or it might at least make himself feel a little better.

OOC

Action: —