Saberfan is here to game!

Saberfan

Hello everyone, my name is Saberfan- bonus points for Fate fans who can guess just which Saber I'm a fan of- and I'm an RPG fanatic looking to game! I've heard only good things about the site and thought it was time to take the leap of faith and dive in.

I dabble in all sorts of tabletop games and am experienced in everything from more narrative systems such as World of Darkness and Ryuutama to crunchier systems like Pathfinder 1E and Castles & Crusades. Pathfinder 1E in particular has been an obsession of mine since it's inception and all of the first and third party splatbooks have managed to keep me interested in the system even a decade later. I adore well-written third-party rules, particularly the spheres rules from Drop Dead Publishing and the various subsystems from Dreamscarred Press.

Apart from my previously-noted interest in tabletop games, I'm also big into video games and will play almost anything that manages to catch my eye. My four favorite genres are old-school turn-based JRPGs like Final Fantasy I-X and Octopath Traveler, anime fighters like BlazBlue and Under Night In-Birth, punishing action RPGs such as Dark Souls and Nioh, and survival horror games such as Resident Evil and Fatal Frame.

Anime and manga are the last part of the trifecta of hobbies that I indulge in regularly and my interest in these began over decades ago when the likes of Ronin Warriors and Sailor Moon were still fresh and new here in the West. I like everything from more wholesome and lighthearted stuff like the Studio Ghibli films and A Silent Voice to darker fare like Berserk and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

On 10/28/2023 at 1:46 PM, Saberfan said:

Hello everyone, my name is Saberfan- bonus points for Fate fans who can guess just which Saber I'm a fan of- and I'm an RPG fanatic looking to game! I've heard only good things about the site and thought it was time to take the leap of faith and dive in.

Welcome to the Weave, Saberfan - and that's a trick question. You're a fan of Saber-faces, which means all of them. Yeah, you're not the only Nasuverse fan around, although I'm more for Tsukihime/Melty Blood than Fate itself.

BTW, you'll get along with some of the other PF1e fans around. Spheres of Power gets a some attention here, 'specially from folks like me.

Anyhow, in case you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to our Baldr User Guide, which contains several handy links that you will likely find useful. We do things a touch differently than some other sites, where we have game ads posted and prospective players apply. You'll want to swing over by our Game Ads section to check that out! Every GM does it a little differently, so check the campaign info and forum for the exact details.

We support a very wide variety of systems here, ranging from good ol D&D (of all editions) to Pathfinder to Shadowrun to Fate to PbtA to OSR to, well, I don't think there's a system we don't support or have players for. So if you spot something outside of your norm that catches your attention - go ahead and apply for it anyways. There is much to be gained by going outside of the box, after all.

Also, I recommend getting chatty through out the forums or even dropping by our Discord Channel, especially if you have questions. Just watch out for those welcoming harpoons - they're harmless... mostly 😂

If you have any questions, let us know! Don't be afraid to ask, either - we do our best to help people out.

-Yamazaki

Edited by Yamazaki
updating discord link (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Yamazaki said:

Welcome to the Weave, Saberfan - and that's a trick question. You're a fan of Saber-faces, which means all of them. Yeah, you're not the only Nasuverse fan around, although I'm more for Tsukihime/Melty Blood than Fate itself.

BTW, you'll get along with some of the other PF1e fans around. Spheres of Power gets a some attention here, 'specially from folks like me.

Nice catch, fellow Nasuverse fan! It's rare running into another person who is a fan of not just Fate, but Tsukihime as well. Are you hyped about the Tsukihime remake port coming out next year? I know I am, as I have been hoping for one since Witch on the Holy Night finally got an English release earlier this year.

So Spheres is popular here? That's excellent news! Spheres is, at least to me, an objectively superior "core" system alternative within Pathfinder because of how well-balanced it is- apart from the Sage, that is- and how customizable it is. How are other subsystems- Akashic Mysteries, Path of War, Psionics, the Legendary Class line, etc- received here on Myth-Weavers? I'm a big supporter of third-party content and it's always nice to find other fans of it.

Thank you all for the greetings, by the way!

3 minutes ago, Saberfan said:

Nice catch, fellow Nasuverse fan! It's rare running into another person who is a fan of not just Fate, but Tsukihime as well. Are you hyped about the Tsukihime remake port coming out next year? I know I am, as I have been hoping for one since Witch on the Holy Night finally got an English release earlier this year.

So Spheres is popular here? That's excellent news! Spheres is, at least to me, an objectively superior "core" system alternative within Pathfinder because of how well-balanced it is- apart from the Sage, that is- and how customizable it is. How are other subsystems- Akashic Mysteries, Path of War, Psionics, the Legendary Class line, etc- received here on Myth-Weavers? I'm a big supporter of third-party content and it's always nice to find other fans of it.

Thank you all for the greetings, by the way!

Kinda hyped. I played thru the fan translation of original Tsukihime and F/SN ages ago. It'll be nice to get the remake localized officially, although finding the time to actually read thru it will be a bit rough for me these days...

Spheres is kinda popular. It had a bit more of a following a few years ago, and it still has its fans, but PF1e is getting less attention over time. Most folks have moved on, one way or another, unfortunately. However, there's still a few around who will bring up Spheres games, or in a few occasions, everything is a go lol. DSP (especially Path of War) still has its fans, although they're less so, and the others get a bit of attention but not a lot in my experience. Either way, keep an eye out for them in the game ads. They come up every so often.

2 minutes ago, Yamazaki said:

Spheres is kinda popular. It had a bit more of a following a few years ago, and it still has its fans, but PF1e is getting less attention over time. Most folks have moved on, one way or another, unfortunately. However, there's still a few around who will bring up Spheres games, or in a few occasions, everything is a go lol. DSP (especially Path of War) still has its fans, although they're less so, and the others get a bit of attention but not a lot in my experience. Either way, keep an eye out for them in the game ads. They come up every so often.

This gives me an idea. Someone posted a thread for pulling together a list of OSR players and GMs in the gaming discussion subforum a few days ago, so maybe there could be some benefit in doing the same for Spheres or other subsystems? I'll look into doing that after I finish breakfast.